Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

David Albelda (Valencia)

Read 2113 times
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 516 posts | -8 
      David Albelda (Valencia)
      Dec 23, 2007 02:01:43 pm
      As you might have already heard, Albelda aswell as Canizares have been or will be axed from the Valencia C.F. squad. Albelda has captained Valencia for a few years now, and i believe that because he has played under Rafa he might come to Liverpool. At the moment he is 30 years old and is a CDM (like Mascherano) I personally wouldn't mind seeing him at Liverpool, what are your thoughts, seen him play, heard much about him?
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Re: David Albelda (Valencia)
      Reply #1: Dec 23, 2007 10:36:49 pm
      We have enough CM players already imo.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #2: Dec 24, 2007 01:55:58 am
      I don't think we do when a player in our mid-field is injured. Mascherano is our priority to get in the Jan window, but Albelda won't cost much or anything.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #3: Dec 24, 2007 02:10:59 pm
      Albelda was a player I actually suggested signing before we got Mascherano, but now there would be absolutely no need for him.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #4: Dec 27, 2007 04:15:52 am
      If we are going to release Sissoko Albelda would be a great addition in my opinion he is better than Mascherano and Sissoko and would work great in the guts of the pitch with Xabi and Stevie G. He has been captaining the side for quite some time and would also have the neccesary leadership credentials.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #5: Dec 27, 2007 11:09:52 am
      There is no F***ing way Albelda is better than Mascherano, even though Masch is years younger & still has most of his career ahead of him.

I also don't see why you think he would be a good replacement for Sissoko. Albelda is a holding midfielder sitting in front of the defence, whereas Sissoko plays a lot higher up the pitch winning the ball back in dangerous positions. If we're gonna replace Momo it should be with another ball winner, but one with better passing skills. 

U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #6: Dec 27, 2007 11:49:23 am
      I'd be fine with just selling Sissoko and running with Gerrard/Alonso/Mascherano/Lucas left in the midfield...i'm sure Spearing would do a more than adequate job, or we could recall Guthrie if we get any midfield crisis...
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #7: Dec 27, 2007 11:56:47 am
      I'd go with that too mate, let's not forget if we really get hit with injuries Benayoun & Kewell can also play in the middle, as can Carra at a push. No need to sign another CM for me, unless it's a promising youngster for the future. Definitely no need to sign someone near the end of their career like Albelda.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #8: Dec 27, 2007 02:41:08 pm
      ;D Young isn't he 30? recall guthrie and sell momo imo. we dont need albelda.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #9: Dec 28, 2007 01:38:15 am
      As good as Masch is at winning the ball he is equally poor at holding it and distributing it effectively. That is why we are constantly pumping the long ball up field....Albelda can actually hold on to it turna  player and pass it, something the English game is not good at doing and this relfects on the English national team.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #10: Dec 28, 2007 01:40:44 am
      Sorry mate, but which Mascherano have you been watching? Ok he can't play 50 yard passes like Alonso & Gerrard, but there is nothing wrong with his short passing, or his ball retention.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #11: Dec 28, 2007 01:45:46 am
      Ok Eddie how about the game against Man Utd as a recent example how many times did he cut down Man Utd down the centre but then was constanlty robbed by Anderson? Im not taking the piss and saying Masch is sh*te but a player of Albelda's experience could even be used to mentor somene like Mascherano.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #12: Dec 28, 2007 01:53:00 am
      That's one game mate, he doesn't usually have any problems.

I just don't see the need for Albelda whatsoever, he's no better than what we've got & we've already got too many central midfielders.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #13: Dec 28, 2007 02:12:06 am
      TBH if everything fails on Masch, fingers crossed we'll bag him by January.  I think Albelda would be a perfect replacement.

Let's hope nothing like that happens though.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #14: Dec 28, 2007 02:29:59 am
      From what I've seen of Albelda he is a decent player, but I'd much rather keep Mascherano thank you very much. Pure quality and I think we miss his ability to go about his business keeping things simple when he's not playing.

I think U-Borat made a very good point about Spearing. The fact is we don't really need anymore central midfielders as it is. So if Sissoko was to pack his bags I'd be optmistic that Spearing could come in and do a job in his place. Given that he would get as many games as Sissoko has been having. And that's not many.

I don't see much point in bringing in Albelda as things stand.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #15: Jan 05, 2008 06:53:39 am
      Well I think that if Mascherano doesn't come to us he could be useful for 2 years (I do rate Mascherano higher), costing next to nothing, if he is a free-agent. Is it just me or does as each day pass it feels like Mascherano is just slipping away from us and ready to go to another club more?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16: Jan 05, 2008 08:48:53 am
      Free-agent means he will cost nothing.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #17: Jan 07, 2008 07:40:32 am
      Salary though, pay each week.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #18: Jan 24, 2008 12:22:25 am
      Saw a report in the Independent today.  He fancies 'London'.  If he ever gets himself out of his contract that is.

Quick Reply