Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What do you think the result to be ?

Liverpool to win
      (92.9%)
      A draw
      (7.1%)
      Liverpool to lose
      (0%)

Man City v Liverpool (30th December)

Read 10590 times
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Man City v Liverpool (30th December)
      Reply #23: Dec 28, 2007 12:54:58 am
      City of manchester stadium is a difficult stadium

Agreed. To be honest an early goal would do us the world of good I reckon.

Everyones talking about Richards like he's the next big thing but his positioning is pretty bad. He seems to want to score more than other centre backs. Think this will suit Torres nicely, hitting them on the break etc.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #24: Dec 28, 2007 08:40:30 am
      Yeah...Richards' positioning sucks majorly, but he has the pace to usually get back to cover up. I can see Torres giving him the slip at least once in the game.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #25: Dec 28, 2007 02:21:52 pm
      They are a very well balance team, not spectacular in any particular dept. but the defence linked up well with the midfiled and forwards. We need to break their ryhthm of play, particularly in the midfield, deny them them the shooting opportunity and shoot at every given opportunity as they play it tight at the back. 2-0 to the Reds.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #26: Dec 28, 2007 02:51:52 pm
      Here are all the pre-match stats and facts ahead of our trip to Manchester City on Sunday.

Going into this weekend this fixture was a clash between the team with the best home record in the Premiership (along with Manchester United and Arsenal - 9 wins and one draw from ten games) and the side with the best record on their travels (six wins, two draws and one defeat).

The meetings have produced something of a goal drought recently with only four goals being scored in the last five league games.

Last season here the sides played out the first goalless draw in this fixture in Manchester since August 1967.

This is the Reds fifth visit to the City of Manchester Stadium. They have won one, drawn two and lost one.

The Reds last win here was in November 2005 when a John Arne Riise goal secured a 1-0 victory.

Steven Gerrard scored the goal when Liverpool defeated City 1-0 at Anfield last season.

This fixture has produced six draws in the last 10 league meetings in Manchester.

Liverpool's biggest league victory at Man City came in April 1982 when they won 5-0.

Liverpool have won only two of the last 11 visits to City (with three defeats and six draws), but have lost only one of the last seven.

Liverpool have lost only two of the last 14 league meetings home and away between the two sides.

The Reds clean sheet here last season was their third in their last 11 visits.

Since the inception of the Premier League Liverpool have won 10 of the 20 meetings, with City winning three.

The last Liverpool man to score a hat-trick against City was Michael Owen in September 2002 at Maine Road. That is the only occasion a Reds player has achieved the feat against City in Manchester.

The Reds have failed to score in only two of their last 14 league visits to City.

If Liverpool keep a clean sheet it will be the first time they have achieved the feat in three successive seasons at City since 1983.

Liverpool have won six league games away from home during this campaign (the same as the whole of last season).

Victory at the City Of Manchester Stadium will mean they have won more points on the road (23-in their 10th game) than they did in all 19 matches last season (22 points).

A win would give Liverpool their best points per game average in a calendar year since 2001. So far in 2007 they have accumulated 67 points from 35 games.

Steven Gerrard's late goal at Derby on Boxing Day means that the Reds have now won five points this season by scoring in the last minute. They also turned a draw into a win at Everton and a loss into a draw at home to Tottenham.

Of their 62 goals this season 22 have been scored in the last 15 minutes.

To prove the Reds increased sharpness in front of goal this season their 62 goals have come in 29 games. Last season after the same number of games they had found the net 47 times.

All looking very promising. :)  Daniel Agger may be playing if Sami hasn't recovered from the ankle injury he picked up at Derby on Boxing Day, how nice would it be to see Dan back, although all credit to Sami for stepping into his shoes and doing a sterling job.
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #27: Dec 28, 2007 03:08:12 pm
      Man City have only played 1 other of the 'top four' at home this season beating Man U 1-0 with them losing their first points at home to Blackburn in the 2-2 draw last night.

Hamann looks set to play against his old club too but my feeling is that Liverpool will get 3pts with a 0-2 win.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #28: Dec 28, 2007 05:08:01 pm
      Man City have only played 1 other of the 'top four' at home this season beating Man U 1-0 with them losing their first points at home to Blackburn in the 2-2 draw last night.

Hamann looks set to play against his old club too but my feeling is that Liverpool will get 3pts with a 0-2 win.
      I agree Osbon, I believe we'll turn it on at the City of Manchester Stadium and will claim the three points on Sunday. It will be a tough game but we wil put a dismal showing against Derby firmly behind us and emerge as winners putting on a disciplined and clinical performance. The last game was the wake-up call...we will bounce back strongly.

Goals from Torres and Babel...

Walk on...
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #29: Dec 28, 2007 08:38:00 pm
      Her's my team, and I don't think Petrov, will get much joy out of Stevie Finnan. (It was Petrov who took Blackburn apart down the left wasn't it ?)
                                                  Reina
                   Finan        Carragher            Hyypia           Arbeloa
               Benayoun      Mascherano      Gerrard          Kewell
                                         Torres    Babel   
      Garry1603
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #30: Dec 28, 2007 10:29:59 pm
      I can see Kewell and Benayoun playing a major part tomorrow.

0-2 to Liverpool
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #31: Dec 28, 2007 10:33:03 pm
      2-0 to the Reds thankyou very much.

Reina

Finnan
      Carragher
      Agger
      Arbeloa

Benayoun
      Gerrard
      Mascherano
      Kewell

Torres
      Crouch

3 points please!
      stellaakasugar
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #32: Dec 28, 2007 11:51:06 pm
      2-1 for me, i think were going to play well in this game and show we can do alot better than we did in the derby game!
      The_Kop_4_Life2005
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts | -1 
      Reply #33: Dec 29, 2007 12:58:35 am
                                                          Reina

Finnan----------Carragher----------Arbeloa

Mascherano         Lucas
                           Benayoun                                    Kewell
                                                       Gerrard

Babel               Torres

City are most probably expecting a 4-4-2 formation with Gerrard and Alonso or Mascherano so why not go with 3 reliable defenders at the back and have mascherano and Lucas doing more of a center mid role (they wont be expecting Lucas to start and he has shown that hes a very good player). Kewell has been in good form and has got a few assists lately so i would put him on the left wing and have Benayoun on the right as he is able to get in the box for rebounds (something our other wingers don't do). i put Gerrard there because he will have a free role and will be helping the midfield nd the strikers. its about time we saw babel up front with torres because everyone wants to see and city will be expecting Kuyt to partner Torres.

Subs:
      Itandje, Hobbs, Alonso, Riise, Kuyt

if the 3-5-2 formation doesn't work then put Hobbs on at center back to partner Carragher

4-0 Liverpool, Torres 2, Babel, Gerrard
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #34: Dec 29, 2007 08:17:17 am
      2-0 to the Reds thankyou very much.

Reina

Finnan
      Carragher
      Agger
      Arbeloa

Benayoun
      Gerrard
      Mascherano
      Kewell

Torres
      Crouch

3 points please!
      Crouch cant play 'cos he has 1 more game suspened. the first one was against Ports..., 2 vs Derby, 3 vs city.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #35: Dec 29, 2007 11:02:11 am
                                                          Reina

Finnan----------Carragher----------Arbeloa

Mascherano         Lucas
                           Benayoun                                    Kewell
                                                       Gerrard

Babel               Torres

In terms of attacking this team would be very strong, but defensively I feel it would get torn to pieces. If you watched City's game against Blackburn you would have seen Petrov punish the fact that Blackburn's right back was quite frankly sh*t, and gave him far too much space. If we played this formation we would be affording him even more space & I am certain he would do some damage. Also you have Finnan down as a centre back in this formation, which isn't his natural role. If we were to play 3-5-2 we would need to go with Finnan at right wingback and Aurelio or Riise on the left (personally I'd choose Aurelio every time), with three natural centre backs in the middle. The obvious problem with that is we don't have enough fit centre backs, so for me it's a non starter.
      The_Kop_4_Life2005
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts | -1 
      Reply #36: Dec 29, 2007 02:05:03 pm
      In terms of attacking this team would be very strong, but defensively I feel it would get torn to pieces. If you watched City's game against Blackburn you would have seen Petrov punish the fact that Blackburn's right back was quite frankly sh*t, and gave him far too much space. If we played this formation we would be affording him even more space & I am certain he would do some damage. Also you have Finnan down as a centre back in this formation, which isn't his natural role. If we were to play 3-5-2 we would need to go with Finnan at right wingback and Aurelio or Riise on the left (personally I'd choose Aurelio every time), with three natural centre backs in the middle. The obvious problem with that is we don't have enough fit centre backs, so for me it's a non starter.

I have Carragher as center back, Finnan and Arbeloa as wing backs. I'm not to sure how you can say that the defensive aspect of this line up is sh*t. Mascherano is a world class defensive  midfielder and Lucas has also shown that he is very good in that position so they would both be helping out in defence. Maybe I was wrong in putting arbeloa in there seeing as he currently has flu so yes it should be Aurelio but other than that I personally feel as if this would be a very effective formation and line up. Last season we played 3-4-3 against Bolton and walked it 3-0 and they were doing well last seasn so I think rafa should give this sort of line up ago until we have our injured defenders back.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #37: Dec 29, 2007 02:34:56 pm
      I have Carragher as center back, Finnan and Arbeloa as wing backs. I'm not to sure how you can say that the defensive aspect of this line up is sh*t. Mascherano is a world class defensive  midfielder and Lucas has also shown that he is very good in that position so they would both be helping out in defence. Maybe I was wrong in putting arbeloa in there seeing as he currently has flu so yes it should be Aurelio but other than that I personally feel as if this would be a very effective formation and line up. Last season we played 3-4-3 against Bolton and walked it 3-0 and they were doing well last seasn so I think rafa should give this sort of line up ago until we have our injured defenders back.

One centre back with two wingbacks alongside him? That's tantamount to suicide mate. A wingback basically doubles up as a fullback & a winger, defending when needed but also pushing high up the pitch when the team attacks, so basically what you're saying is when we attack we should only leave one man back?
      The_Kop_4_Life2005
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts | -1 
      Reply #38: Dec 29, 2007 03:45:01 pm
      One centre back with two wingbacks alongside him? That's tantamount to suicide mate. A wingback basically doubles up as a fullback & a winger, defending when needed but also pushing high up the pitch when the team attacks, so basically what you're saying is when we attack we should only leave one man back?

no thats not what I'm saying, i said nothing about finnan and Aurelio attacking and leave carra back. anyway when they do attack mascherano and Lucas would sit back and act as cover.

anyway i don't care about this line up anymore because no-one can guess what hes going to do and we could go through every possible option and Rafa would still do something different. don't care what line up i think he might use, what you think or what anyone else thinks,  don't even care what line up Rafa uses just so long as we get all 3 points and start mounting a serious challenge.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #39: Dec 29, 2007 03:49:15 pm
      no thats not what I'm saying, i said nothing about finnan and Aurelio attacking and leave carra back.

Well you said to use them as wingbacks, and that's what wingbacks do.

don't care what line up i think he might use, what you think or what anyone else thinks

Why come on a forum then?
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #40: Dec 29, 2007 03:50:15 pm
      Oh, and read THIS thread.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #41: Dec 29, 2007 04:23:49 pm
      Hi Everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster

Can't wait till sunday, hopefully we will show our real class and truely over power them ;D

I would like to see this formation used on Sunday

Reina

Finnan, Hobbs (if Agger isn't ready), Carragher, Riise

Gerrard, Alonso, Lucas, Kewell

Torres, Babel

I know people won't agree with me having Gerrard on the right but I put him there because as EddieC pointed out to Kop4life2005 Petrov punished Blackburns right back. And seeing as Fnna has only just come back from injury I would'nt want to see Petrov cause him problems so having Stevie on the right it means that he will be able to keep Petrov in check and help Finnan out when needed. Also Petrov will then have to be a bit more defensive if he is up against Stevie and it will allow Finnan to overlap and put some crosses in for Torres to finish. Another reasn for Gerrard eing on the right menas that he too will be able to put in some of his wicked crosses. Although after about 70 mins i would take off either Lucas or Alonso and put on Benayoun and move Gerarrd central.

(btw EddieC I dont quite understand why you have put 'don't care what line up I think he might use, what you think or what anyone else thinks

Why come on a forum then?') or has he just deleted the post?
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #42: Dec 29, 2007 04:32:19 pm
      Welcome to the forum mate, good post.

I have to admit I was toying with the idea of Gerrard on the right myself, but having thought a bit more about it I don't think Petrov's so much of a threat he can't be contained by Finnan or Arbeloa, Khizanishvili just made him look better than he is the other night.

Not too sure about playing Hobbs TBH, I do rate him & think he's gonna be a great player but I would like to see him have a few more games under his belt before throwing him into a game like this. If neither Agger or Hyypia are going to be back on time I would go with Arbeloa in the middle.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #43: Dec 29, 2007 04:56:47 pm
      EddieC

Your right about Hobbs and I too would like to see him play a few more games first (shame City are not a bad team anymore) :(

The thing i'm concerned about is that Arbeloa might not have recovered from the flu in time and although Riise is able to play at center back I would much prefer Hobbs there seeing as Riise has'nt exactl been on top form.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #44: Dec 29, 2007 04:58:50 pm
      I wouldn't go as far as to say Riise can play at centre back, more that he was forced to against Derby.

I agree with you that if Arbeloa isn't fit either then Hobbs should be given the nod ahead of John Arne.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #45: Dec 29, 2007 04:59:27 pm
      I am. First trip to the COM stadium.  One of my relatives is a City fan so ssshhh I am in the home end.

Don't worry.  I won't touch any of them.

Youve changed man, you are now a manc.

I think we will win this 1-0 will be a hard nut to crack but after Derby they know they have to raise their game in order to get a result, if we can win this and win our game in hand we will be 6 points off the pace and with a long way to go that is F**k all. heres my team

Reina
      Finnan Carra Hobbs Risse
      Yossi Gerrard Masch Kewel
      Torres Kuyt.

Quick Reply