Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Fitness thread

Read 225633 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Re: Fitness thread
      Reply #1955: Oct 11, 2016 02:34:04 pm
      First half marathon in 25 years last week - 1hr 50:04.........you couldn't make it up. Lost about 30 secs at one of the feeding stations as they couldn't get the water bottles out of the plastic casing ffs  :mad:  :f_steam:

Trying to get down under 45 mins for 10km before I have another go at the half.......I reckon I can get down near 1hr 45.......not bad for a fat, middle-aged glaswegian like ;)

That's  a great time. I think my best half marathon time was 1:58:59. And I was in pretty good shape for that one. Just didn't fuel up very well and ran out of gas the last 2 miles. The bridge right before the finish killed me...had to walk part of the way. If I do another I'll make sure to eat properly and have something while I'm running as well.

Running's a funny thing...yesterday morning I did 6 miles at a 8:07 pace, this morning did 3 miles and could only muster 8:53 pace. Weird.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1956: Oct 11, 2016 07:32:37 pm
      That's  a great time. I think my best half marathon time was 1:58:59. And I was in pretty good shape for that one. Just didn't fuel up very well and ran out of gas the last 2 miles. The bridge right before the finish killed me...had to walk part of the way. If I do another I'll make sure to eat properly and have something while I'm running as well.

Running's a funny thing...yesterday morning I did 6 miles at a 8:07 pace, this morning did 3 miles and could only muster 8:53 pace. Weird.

It sure is a funny thing mate. Thank you - I think I've got more in me but like you was hanging on a bit at the end. Just managed to keep going, weird thing was although I felt like death and thought I was barely above walking........I was still running 5:20ish kms.......

You just gotta go with the body and see how you get on.

Most of my mates use Garmin watches or the like - I use my iphone and the nike app but dont actually listen to updates during my runs. I'll finish when I finish in the time I've run - funny thing is I'm the most even paced of all of us.............
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1957: Oct 11, 2016 07:44:48 pm
      It sure is a funny thing mate. Thank you - I think I've got more in me but like you was hanging on a bit at the end. Just managed to keep going, weird thing was although I felt like death and thought I was barely above walking........I was still running 5:20ish kms.......

You just gotta go with the body and see how you get on.

Most of my mates use Garmin watches or the like - I use my iphone and the nike app but dont actually listen to updates during my runs. I'll finish when I finish in the time I've run - funny thing is I'm the most even paced of all of us.............

Yea I've got a Garmin watch...can't stand to carry anything so a phone is out for me. I do like to see where my pace is during my run just so I can gauge how I'm feeling with how I'm running. Some days it helps but  other days I'm like you...just leave it behind and go, little more freeing that way.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1958: Oct 11, 2016 09:59:51 pm
      Taxi!.... ;D

I have a very good friend who lives in Stirling, Bridge of Allan... Hoping to spend some time there next summer as this year all holiday plans with family went out the window...

It's ok over there. Nice village and not at all remote. Enjoy
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1959: Oct 11, 2016 10:23:16 pm
      It's ok over there. Nice village and not at all remote. Enjoy

I'll try...

I'm aching today and decided on health grounds not to go gym today and take rest ;D

Back on it tomorrow though... Looking forward to it...

I'm hoping in 2 weeks to start road running which is much more demanding as you are aware.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1960: Oct 12, 2016 04:48:10 pm
      I'll try...

I'm aching today and decided on health grounds not to go gym today and take rest ;D

Back on it tomorrow though... Looking forward to it...

I'm hoping in 2 weeks to start road running which is much more demanding as you are aware.

It is but I find it's the transition that causes the injuries. I've having bit trouble with my left IT band having gone back to the treadmill this week. Sod's law.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #1961: Nov 11, 2016 12:11:52 am
      Holler if you're a parkrunner like me! :P
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1962: Nov 15, 2016 05:31:21 pm
      Tore a groin muscle playing football last week so incapitated in terms of doing much aerobically so decided to dust off the weights in the garage, and although it was plainly obvious that I have become a weakling over the years! I really enjoyed pulling a few barbells and Dumbbells again.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1963: Nov 15, 2016 10:55:53 pm
      Tore a groin muscle playing football last week

Ouch, I've done that before. Took about 4 months to get over it. For the first month at least, I massively struggled to lift my leg at all and it was like a planned mission trying to get in and out of bed.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1964: Nov 16, 2016 07:09:51 am
      Ouch, I've done that before. Took about 4 months to get over it. For the first month at least, I massively struggled to lift my leg at all and it was like a planned mission trying to get in and out of bed.

Sounds like you probably had a worse tear than me mate but yeah it's a PITA.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1965: Nov 17, 2016 07:20:41 pm
      Tore a groin muscle playing football  :jackoff: last week so incapitated in terms of doing much aerobically so decided to dust off the weights in the garage, and although it was plainly obvious that I have become a weakling over the years! I really enjoyed pulling a few barbells and Dumbbells again.

:lmao:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1966: Nov 17, 2016 07:23:08 pm

Dirty mind you got there FL   :laugh:

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1967: Nov 17, 2016 08:46:12 pm
      Just bust 13km in an hour on the treadmill for the first time.....pretty chuffed with that. 4.36 per km.....happy days :)
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1968: May 14, 2018 08:33:15 pm
      Bit the bullet and paid a few quid for 18 sessions with a PT at a place by my work in town. It was my third session of the programme at 6am this morning and it'll be the same time tomorrow and Wednesday.

I never knew what a 'Prowler' in a gym was  until this morning and I'll be honest, I wish I still never knew. I never want to see one those little fuckers again. Was at the side of my car at 6.50 this morning throwing up in the car park by The Railway pub on Tithebarn Street about ten feet away from a rough sleeper. It was all a bit surreal.

Determined to see this through, though, but I'll admit that even my hair is hurting as I sit here typing this. My pains are in pain and all that.

Never thought I'd like or feel comfortable using a PT but already I can see the benefits as the work rate levels in these 45 minute sessions are probably ten fold to what I'd normally put in and think was decent if I was on my own.

Bring on tomorrow...

😥
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1969: May 14, 2018 09:01:39 pm
      Doing the 8 and a half stint of the Edinburgh marathon soon with some ones from work. Should be good fun.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1970: May 14, 2018 09:05:06 pm
      Doing the 8 and a half stint of the Edinburgh marathon soon with some ones from work. Should be good fun.

I'm going to do Edinburgh sometime this year. Not the run mind you, it'll more likely be a crawl if you catch my drift. I'll give you a shout when I do.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1971: May 14, 2018 09:13:04 pm
      I'm going to do Edinburgh sometime this year. Not the run mind you, it'll more likely be a crawl if you catch my drift. I'll give you a shout when I do.

Nice one mate! Give me a shout if you do :)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1972: May 14, 2018 09:35:23 pm

There’s 2 legs that are about that Mags - 1st and 3rd.

1st is good and prevailingly downhill just a bit busy at start.

3rd is a lovely wee loop into the country.

Enjoy......isn’t it the 27th May though.......?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1973: May 14, 2018 09:38:34 pm
      Think I might go to the gym soon, my right bicep is bigger than my left one.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1974: May 14, 2018 09:41:45 pm
      Bit the bullet and paid a few quid for 18 sessions with a PT at a place by my work in town. It was my third session of the programme at 6am this morning and it'll be the same time tomorrow and Wednesday.

I never knew what a 'Prowler' in a gym was  until this morning and I'll be honest, I wish I still never knew. I never want to see one those little fuckers again. Was at the side of my car at 6.50 this morning throwing up in the car park by The Railway pub on Tithebarn Street about ten feet away from a rough sleeper. It was all a bit surreal.

Determined to see this through, though, but I'll admit that even my hair is hurting as I sit here typing this. My pains are in pain and all that.

Never thought I'd like or feel comfortable using a PT but already I can see the benefits as the work rate levels in these 45 minute sessions are probably ten fold to what I'd normally put in and think was decent if I was on my own.

Bring on tomorrow...

😥

Good on ya Dave lad!

I didn’t get back into it proper till I was 40 and I’m 10 times fitter (more importantly healthier) now at 47 than I was at 37! Makes the beer taste even better ;)

I’ve got a picture somewhere of my 40th and you wouldn’t recognise me.

Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1975: May 14, 2018 09:42:23 pm
      There’s 2 legs that are about that Mags - 1st and 3rd.

1st is good and prevailingly downhill just a bit busy at start.

3rd is a lovely wee loop into the country.

Enjoy......isn’t it the 27th May though.......?

It is, I have accepted the fact that I will be horrifically hungover from the celebrations the night before.

Wake. Shower. Lucozade. Pray. Run. Pass out.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1976: May 14, 2018 09:46:58 pm
      It is, I have accepted the fact that I will be horrifically hungover from the celebrations the night before.

Wake. Shower. Lucozade. Pray. Run. Pass out.

Quality - it’s a good race. Plus you’ll be floating on cloud 9!

It always falls on the weekend that we do something for my lad’s birthday (he’s the 29th and we don’t like waiting to celebrate into June) so I’ve only got to do it once.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #1977: May 14, 2018 09:58:38 pm
      Anybody doing tough mudder?

Quick Reply