Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

José "Pepe" Reina (Liverpool -> Bayern Munich -> Napoli)

Read 238726 times
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Jose Reina Player Thread
      Reply #161: Mar 24, 2008 11:09:45 pm
      One pissed off Liverpool fan your quoting there mate.

Reina made his mistakes but he did make up for them otherwise we would of been at least 5 - 0 down.

Where was Carra & Skrtel when the goals went in?  Skrtel couldn't even F***ing jump with Wes Brown, nevermind Pepe coming out to punch the ball.

To be honest mate. I don't think Pepe should have come that way. It was poor judgement, and if he stayed on his line the goal probably wouldn't have happened. But saying that is easy because I don't know what it's like playing infront of 75,000 on lookers, Pepe is a world class keeper and he kept the game from being ridiculously embarrasing.
      kop1985
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts | -10 
      Reply #162: Mar 24, 2008 11:17:19 pm
      Reina's record stands for itself really.  As the rest of are, he is human and he will get good and bad games.  Personally i cannot think of a keeper i would swap him for, he is without doubt the fastest keeper i have ever seen off his line.  He's also very young for a keeper and will probably only get better as he gets more experience.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #163: Mar 24, 2008 11:21:52 pm
      Reina's record stands for itself really.  As the rest of are, he is human and he will get good and bad games.  Personally I cannot think of a keeper I would swap him for, he is without doubt the fastest keeper I have ever seen off his line.  He's also very young for a keeper and will probably only get better as he gets more experience.

Agreed. How old is he now? Can't be older that 25? 24 is it? Keepers usually hit their primes when they're in their late 20s to early 30s.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #164: Mar 24, 2008 11:23:33 pm
      I can't believe these knee jerk reactions after one bad performance. If you don't think Pepe is in the same class as Cech and Van Der Sar then you must be watching a different player to the one I watch every week. This is a goalkeeper who has kepr a clean sheet in over half the games he has played in and one the Barclays Golden Glove award two seasons running.

I personally feel very safe with Pepe in goal for us. And I honestly can't think off the top of my head, the last time he was fairly singled out for criticism since the game against the bitters at goodison last season.
      We could do a lot worse than Pepe and he's been brilliant for us on a consistant level. He's been very good at times when he hasn't had to do a thing for long spells of a lot of games, yet when he's been called into action, he's very alert and aware. That's quality.

Saying he's not the same standard as Van Der Sar or Cech is poor. I'd say he's on the level with Cech and I'd say he's better than Van Der Sar. I agree about having a good defence in front of him makes things easier for him to an extent. But so does the mancs and chelsea's defence benefit their keepers too.

A concern for me is how we've looked quite shaky at offending set pieces and crosses this season. It hasn't really been as sharp as it should be. That wont help our keeper. But how many off days has Pepe had this season? Not many at all. And even though he was probably at fault for two goals yesterday, he stopped us from ending the game five or six goals behind.

I'm not gonna want rid of him for a rare off day.
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Reply #165: Mar 24, 2008 11:23:33 pm
      everyone makes mistakes thats why they put rubbers on the end of pencils am sure pepe would of been the 1st to hold his hands up in the dressing room and say sorry lads I messed up there, but why get scrutinized over a couple of mistakes that are few and far between from him am sure if the opposition was of a lesser quality and it not being the mancs then the ridicule wouldnt be so bad.

End of the day he wasnt the only one who made mistakes in the game yes his were costly ones but that dont make him a poor keeper and dont forget these guy has how many clean sheets to his name in how many apps ok he has what is usually a sound defence in front of him but he still has a job to do.

We're all still hurt from that result but look at it this way what better way to get it out of your system and let your frustations out on the mob that is neverwon coz believe me they are gonna come up against a very p***** off liverpool
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #166: Mar 24, 2008 11:29:54 pm
      A concern for me is how we've looked quite shaky at offending set pieces and crosses this season. It hasn't really been as sharp as it should be.

Been thinking that too RK! Everytime we concede a free kick or a corner I do get slightly worried. I don't think thats down to Pepe though. It's our back four or a couple of the midfielders letting their men slip, like Alonso did with Ronaldo yesterday.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #167: Mar 24, 2008 11:34:51 pm
      He's been very good at times when he hasn't had to do a thing for long spells of a lot of games, yet when he's been called into action, he's very alert and aware. That's quality.

This is a sign of a real top quality goalkeeper for me. It's easier to stay alert when the shots are flying in but much harder when some teams are only getting a few chances in a game against us.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #168: Mar 24, 2008 11:35:19 pm
      Been thinking that too RK! Everytime we concede a free kick or a corner I do get slightly worried. I don't think thats down to Pepe though. It's our back four or a couple of the midfielders letting their men slip, like Alonso did with Ronaldo yesterday.

Exactly. That was some poor play from Alonso that. But, was he just trying to stay in his 'zone'? If so, he should have fu**ed that zone thing off and stayed with Ronaldo. Chances are, Pepe might have got a hand to that ball if Alonso had stuck with Ronaldo and slowed him down.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #169: Mar 24, 2008 11:35:56 pm
      Unfortunately, goalies are under the most pressure to make mistakes because the consequences are far worse than if a striker made them. For example, Reina misjudges two crosses and we go 2 goals down because of it. Reina's class is then being questioned. "He's not all that yadda yadda yadda." Torres misses two one-on-ones ina game and not one person is going to come out and say "he's not all that, best in the world, yeah right"...

Goalies have it tough when it comes to pressure but I'm sure Pepe knows alot about this as goalkeeping is in his blood. Give the lad a break.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #170: Mar 24, 2008 11:37:41 pm
      Exactly. That was some poor play from Alonso that. But, was he just trying to stay in his 'zone'? If so, he should have fu**ed that zone thing off and stayed with Ronaldo. Chances are, Pepe might have got a hand to that ball if Alonso had stuck with Ronaldo and slowed him down.

Aye! Could have used the old stand on the fuckers toe routine, or just stayed goal side!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #171: Mar 24, 2008 11:40:02 pm
      Reina doens't get tested much, but when he does he's not actually all that!

Fa Cup final V West Ham - 3 penalties saved - not much of a test, no?

Equalling, then bettering most records set by Ray Clemance for clean sheets?

Oh and for the record, I personally don't think Cech is all that, good first season, but has slipped slightly and don't believe all the hype about VDS, he's made plenty of blunders!!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #172: Apr 11, 2008 12:32:16 am
      Hasn't been that great when tested. Maybe he's not tested enough? The nerves have got to end Pepe.. he does get me on the end of my seat at times.. especially when he goes walkabouts!

Great shot stopper, but he's a bit shaky at times!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #173: Apr 11, 2008 12:50:00 am
      Only two problems he has, coming out too far which i see as positive because he knows what hes doing when he does. and Set pieces which is just a mix up between him and the defence alot of the time imo. I just think he should sometimes catch and sometimes punch. Rafa obviously rates him for a reason. One of the players i have most confidence in when the ball is near him.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #174: Apr 11, 2008 12:51:39 am
      He is a good goalkeeper don't get me wrong, however I sh*t myself when we have to defend set pieces...
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #175: Apr 11, 2008 01:01:10 am
      Yeah i think alot of people do, i dont because of pepe though. Its the defences job alot imo and im not suprised we have conceded from quite a few, Agger has been a big factor in our defensive change this season and skrtel coming into zonal marking from man marking is not an easy job atall. Obviously we have a few that have been our own fault like sami losing Adebayor vs arsenal in the first leg but he more than made up for it in the second.

We will be better at it, our defenders dont attack the ball enough at times in my opinion.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #176: Apr 11, 2008 09:01:43 am
      He is a good goalkeeper don't get me wrong, however I sh*t myself when we have to defend set pieces...

Not just that but when he's light on defenders he tends to have a run out of goal and don't get me wrong I think he's an excellent stopper but he is not that convincing when he tries to be a hero and it doesn't take much to nut an advancing keeper and score.  He's good at penalty's though.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #177: Apr 11, 2008 09:19:47 am
      Not just that but when he's light on defenders he tends to have a run out of goal and don't get me wrong I think he's an excellent stopper but he is not that convincing when he tries to be a hero and it doesn't take much to nut an advancing keeper and score.  He's good at penalty's though.

It works more often than not though. It does seem crazy when he runs out but if he didnt its much easier for a striker to beat him when hes backing up to goal (like almunia against us when babel scored) or on his line than if he's out putting pressure on him. I think i've only seen one player beat him when he's come out and that was because he came out way too far. It does seem mad but looking at stats it really does work.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #178: Apr 11, 2008 09:38:07 am
      It works more often than not though. It does seem crazy when he runs out but if he didnt its much easier for a striker to beat him when hes backing up to goal (like almunia against us when babel scored) or on his line than if he's out putting pressure on him. I think I've only seen one player beat him when he's come out and that was because he came out way too far. It does seem mad but looking at stats it really does work.

Looking at stats won't always keep you a clean sheet though and strikers will start to take advantage of this weakness before long.  We need Agger back really he can get back in behind Reina and stop them off the line if need be and I don't think anyone else is quick enough to do that, maybe Arbeloa.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #179: Apr 11, 2008 09:49:25 am
      Ah come on.........the only one who really rivals Reina in the premiership is Cech. Van Der Sar is sh*te this season. He looks a fumbly unsure mess. While there has been a couple of unsure moments from Reina, all in all he is one of the best in the world !!
      indonesian-reds
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      • kopite for life!
      Reply #180: Apr 11, 2008 10:22:32 am

same here...
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #181: Apr 11, 2008 10:22:48 am
      my only problem with Reina is when every now and then he ends up in no man's land chasing a ball out of the box, but as far as i can remember he was only punished once for this against Chelsea when he unfairly got red-carded, otherwise that would have just been a yellow. Yes he's unorthodox in his style but he still does his job impeccably and who are we too criticise for stuff like this when his record speaks for itself? I don't understand why so many people on this forum are jumping on him when he has done very little wrong in his time here, does nobody else think that he is the best goalie we have had in a seriously long time?
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #182: Apr 11, 2008 10:38:49 am
      Looking at stats won't always keep you a clean sheet though and strikers will start to take advantage of this weakness before long.  We need Agger back really he can get back in behind Reina and stop them off the line if need be and I don't think anyone else is quick enough to do that, maybe Arbeloa.

My point is he keeps clean sheets by doing it. When strikers get in behind the defence he puts them off, 1 single striker has beaten him since he came here from him coming out and that was martins when reina came way too far out. As rafa even describes it, reina is like a sweeper he steps up and stops a striker when they get through rather than the crap other keepers do which is stand and wait for the striker to get near enough to score like babel did against arsenal. He's been doing this since he came here and although it makes people nervous he has conceded from it one single time since he got here. I dont like the setpieces thing but im fine with this.

And Skrtel is our quickest defender.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #183: Apr 11, 2008 10:39:37 am
      What about the time he came out and the pitch was so wet that the ball stopped rolling to him which gave Ofembi Martins the chance the score and he did just that.

Quick Reply