Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 14th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P2 W1 D1 L0

José "Pepe" Reina (Liverpool -> Bayern Munich -> Napoli)

Read 240185 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,517 posts | 2873 
      Re: Jose Reina Player Thread
      Reply #2461: Jul 24, 2014 03:32:17 pm
      I'd rather have Pepe but that's not really saying much as he's a long way from what he was 2-3 seasons ago.

We need better than both of them if I'm honest but I don't see it happening this summer.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2462: Jul 24, 2014 11:22:04 pm
      He can do a job and as much as Brad is a great guy, Pepe is a better keeper.

Pepe is a better keeper than Jones?

let me fix that for you: Pepe is a better keeper than Mignolet.

that's not saying much mind as Mignolet isn't that great.  But if we only have 2 options then it's Pepe all day long.

And when did all of this "he's a good guy, but..." bollocks start?  I thought we were about winning titles.  "Brad Jones is a good guy, but..."   "Borini is a good guy, but..."  "Lucas is a great lad, but..."

who gives a sh*te whether they're a "good guy" or not, if they're not GOOD ENOUGH.

Suarez was a rabies infested biting diver, but he was one of the best players I've ever seen play for us. 

I would much rather have good players than "good guys."

Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2463: Jul 24, 2014 11:25:40 pm
      I'd rather have Pepe but that's not really saying much as he's a long way from what he was 2-3 seasons ago.

We need better than both of them if I'm honest but I don't see it happening this summer.

Perhaps we just might see THAT Pepe again. He's got a point to prove now and by all accounts he had a handy season with Napoli.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #2464: Jul 25, 2014 01:03:41 am
      I like Pepe, but can't see him staying here to be back-up at 110k a week. Maybe BR wants the extra competition for Migs, who knows.

redsordie27
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts |
      Reply #2465: Jul 25, 2014 04:23:12 am
      if we can get reina to leave (no one wants him, high wages, age) then we'll bring in most likely Darlow, but maybe mccarthy
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 192 posts |
      Reply #2466: Jul 25, 2014 07:52:46 am
      Reina has lost his desire. As much talent as he has and on his day he was fantastic, but he's definitely got something like the Torres disease festering in there.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2467: Jul 25, 2014 08:21:22 am
      Reina has lost his desire. As much talent as he has and on his day he was fantastic, but he's definitely got something like the Torres disease festering in there.

You know him personally or something? Since you're questioning his desire.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #2468: Jul 25, 2014 09:14:22 am
      Pepe is a better keeper than Jones?

let me fix that for you: Pepe is a better keeper than Mignolet.

that's not saying much mind as Mignolet isn't that great.  But if we only have 2 options then it's Pepe all day long.

And when did all of this "he's a good guy, but..." bollocks start?  I thought we were about winning titles.  "Brad Jones is a good guy, but..."   "Borini is a good guy, but..."  "Lucas is a great lad, but..."

who gives a sh*te whether they're a "good guy" or not, if they're not GOOD ENOUGH.

Suarez was a rabies infested biting diver, but he was one of the best players I've ever seen play for us. 

I would much rather have good players than "good guys."

Whilst I agree with what you are saying on player quality this for me is what separates us from other teams...

I guess all this 'good guy bollocks' happened after when we stared caring about the players, the fans, the families in and around Liverpool - when the club started having a conscience.

After what Brad and his family have been through, I think your mentality is a little out of sorts with a lot of Liverpool fans, perhaps you should reassess what is important to you in the club you follow. For me titles and success will be right up there, but I support the club because I love it - if we were playing in the conference winning nothing I would still be a fan...
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #2469: Jul 25, 2014 11:17:55 am
      We should keep Reina, give him another chance.

Form is temporary, class is permanent
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 192 posts |
      Reply #2470: Jul 25, 2014 11:20:27 am
      You know him personally or something? Since you're questioning his desire.

I think his last few seasons here, showed a lack of desire. What he's done while his abroad, I haven't watched much, but I haven't heard many favourable reviews and clubs knocking down his door.

So I can only comment on last 2 seasons before he left. I personally got the feeling, he didn't care that much anymore. He was making silly mistakes, went on extended runs of bad form and let in a lot of silly goals.

Whether that was a lack of desire, or a chronic case of poor form I don't know. But sometimes players just don't come back to their heyday. And I don't think Pepe will hit those great heights again. But that's opinion.

I'd hope I'm wrong as he's been a fantastic servant. It would be great to see Pepe being awesome for us again. But who knows
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2471: Jul 25, 2014 11:47:38 am
      Reina: At Liverpool to stay

As a return to Napoli or Spain looks unlikely, Pepe Reina has reflected that he is currently back at Liverpool for the foreseeable future.

The goalkeeper spent last season on loan at the Stadio San Paolo and began this summer speculated as on his way out of Anfield.

However, with former side Barcelona opting for Claudio Bravo and the Vesuviani having failed to negotiate terms with both Liverpool and the player, his focus is now on staying in England.

“I have a contract to be respect with Liverpool. I’m training well and I am perfectly fine with my teammates,” Reina has told Cadena Ser this week.

“I am here to stay. I have not talked to Brendan Rodgers, I’ve been here for only four days and I am just thinking of training to my best and getting back into shape.

“I want to be at the top and to play as many games as possible. At the moment all the big Spanish teams are covered in my role, so I see it as very difficult to return to Spain.

“It’s normal though that over the years you want to return to where you came from, we’ll see.

“When Rafa Benitez signed me in 2005, I accepted and said that I would be back a little later in Spain. He replied: ‘We’ll see’.

“It’s amazing that 10 years later I am still away from Spain and that it was he who brought me to Napoli last year.”http://www.football-italia.net/52593/reina-liverpool-stay

I think he is professional enough to train hard for his place but he wants to go back to Spain. The problem is that he expressed his thoughts in public.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #2472: Jul 25, 2014 12:20:40 pm
      He is still a very good GK, and I would rather keep him than sell him.

If he won't be our number 1 GK this season at least he will give Mignolet some competition for the spot, maybe it will up his game.

It's no coincidence that Reina's form went into decline when the whole team went to decline as well.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2473: Jul 25, 2014 12:36:49 pm
      I have not talked to Brendan Rodgers, I’ve been here for only four days and I am just thinking of training to my best and getting back into shape.

Always surprises me the lack of communication between players and management. It was the same under Rafa, player has problem and no communication. Maybe they can only talk with their agents present ?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2474: Jul 25, 2014 12:59:06 pm
      I have not talked to Brendan Rodgers, I’ve been here for only four days and I am just thinking of training to my best and getting back into shape.

Always surprises me the lack of communication between players and management. It was the same under Rafa, player has problem and no communication. Maybe they can only talk with their agents present ?

It depends on the problem, and if the manager thinks it needs addressing I suppose.
      BR seems like a much more touchy feely kind of bloke than Rafa, so perhaps he doesn't think there is something that needs sorting?
      It's hard to know from the outside looking in at what are fairly meaningless soundbites from players, but I'd guess that BR would address a problem if he saw the need.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      Reply #2475: Jul 25, 2014 01:13:23 pm

If the problem is causing the whole group of being insecure BR would do his best to solve it.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      Reply #2476: Jul 25, 2014 01:16:56 pm
      Yup, he's there and in most of the photo's I've seen of him he's not his usual jovial self. In fact it looks like he's got a right cob on.
      Haven't seen any pics of the Ming though!

Definitely need proper back-up and competition for Mings but I just don't see Pepe being allowed to be just that.

Napoli bound this September for sure.

He still is his old self.

Plus,  'very odd character'   :lmao:
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #2477: Jul 25, 2014 02:15:44 pm

Agreed,

However, I thought Rodgers is the type of manager who likes to communicate with the players, maybe they don't seem to see eye to eye?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #2478: Jul 25, 2014 02:24:42 pm

David Luiz trolling in the background :D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,373 posts | 2881 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2479: Jul 25, 2014 02:39:03 pm

Why the fook is there an extra from the thriller video lurking in the background?!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #2480: Jul 25, 2014 02:48:11 pm
      if we can get reina to leave (no one wants him, high wages, age) then we'll bring in most likely Darlow, but maybe mccarthy

Wouldn't keeping Pepe be a better option than the two keepers you mention?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #2481: Jul 25, 2014 03:49:34 pm

Glen Johnson ‏@glen_johnson  11h
      Me and @PReina25 got photo bombed by a very odd character!!!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2482: Jul 25, 2014 08:00:49 pm

I have the urge to say, "Thunder, Thunder, Thundercats...Hoooooooo!".

bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #2483: Jul 25, 2014 09:28:57 pm
      Wouldn't keeping Pepe be a better option than the two keepers you mention?
      That would be the intelligent thing to do .

Quick Reply