Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Where Will We Be At The End Of The Campaign?

Read 2435 times
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Where Will We Be At The End Of The Campaign?
      Jan 02, 2008 03:05:11 pm
      Say, I'm overly Optimistic (O) and also Realistic (R) on the results of the remaining matches, with the total points amassed at the end of the campaign, will it be good enough for us to win the EPL :-

Current points  :  37

Wed Jan 2 (8pm) Wigan Athletic (home) ------  (O) Win > 40  (R) Win > 40
      Sat Jan 12 Middlesbrough (away) ----------------- (O)  Win > 43  (R) Win > 43
      Mon Jan 21 Aston Villa (home) --------------------- (O)  Win > 46  (R) Win > 46
      Tue Jan 29 West Ham United (away) ------------ (O)  Win > 49  (R) Draw > 47
      Sat Feb 2 Sunderland (home) ----------------------- (O)  Win > 52  (R) Win > 50
      Sun Feb 10 Chelsea (away) -------------------------- (O)  Draw > 53 (R) Draw > 51
      Sat Feb 23 Middlesbrough (home) ----------------- (O)  Win > 56  (R) Win > 54
      Sat Mar 1 Bolton Wanderers (away) --------------- (O)  Win > 59  (R) Win > 57
      Sat Mar 8 Newcastle United (home) --------------- (O)  Win > 62  (R) Draw > 58
      Sat Mar 15 Reading (home) --------------------------- (O)  Win > 65  (R) Win > 61
      Sat Mar 22 Manchester United (away) ------------- (O)  Draw > 66 (R) Draw > 62
      Sat Mar 29 Everton (home) --------------------------- (O)  Win > 69  (R) Draw > 63
      Sat Apr 5 Arsenal (away) ------------------------------ (O)  Draw > 70 (R) Draw > 64
      Apr 12 Blackburn Rovers (home) -------------------- (O)  Win > 73  (R) Draw > 65
      Sat Apr 19 Fulham (away) ----------------------------- (O)  Win > 76  (R) Win > 68
      Sat Apr 26 Birmingham City (away) ----------------- (O)  Win > 79  (R) Win > 71
      Sat May 3 Manchester City (home) ----------------- (O)  Win > 82  (R)  Win >74
      Sun May 11 Tottenham Hotspur (away) ---------- (O)  Win > 85  (R) Draw > 75
            ?          Portsmouth (Home) -------------------- (O)  Win > 88  (R) Draw > 76

Optimistically, 88 points will most likely make us Champion, but as Rafa has highlighted, we will have to win all the remaining matches and perhaps no room for further drop points. On current form, we can expect some points to be dropped along the way, and we are too far off the league leader at the moment. Realistically, will 76 points good enough to make us Champion, quite unlikely so as pass results suggests so. We simply have dropped far too many points which makes catching-up diffcult, and we have made it difficult for ourselves so far. I hate to throw in the towel this early and I sincerely hope that my assessment would be wrong at the end of the day, but 13 points adrift from the league leader at the moment is too much of a catching up to do and we have to admit that. Looks like our best hope remains with the FA Cup and the CL. Your thoughts, please.               
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Re: Where Will We Be At The End Of The Campaign?
      Reply #1: Jan 02, 2008 03:07:51 pm
      Its West Ham Home they haven't got a date for
      redkop63
      • Started Topic

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #2: Jan 02, 2008 03:12:14 pm
      Its West Ham Home they haven't got a date for

Spot on, it's West ham and not Portsmouth, my apology. But I'd stand by my prediction on the result.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #3: Jan 02, 2008 03:14:33 pm
      Say, I'm overly Optimistic (O) and also Realistic (R) on the results of the remaining matches, with the total points amassed at the end of the campaign, will it be good enough for us to win the EPL :-

Current points  :  37

Wed Jan 2 (8pm) Wigan Athletic (home) ------  (O) Win > 40  (R) Win > 40
      Sat Jan 12 Middlesbrough (away) ----------------- (O)  Win > 43  (R) Win > 43
      Mon Jan 21 Aston Villa (home) --------------------- (O)  Win > 46  (R) Win > 46
      Tue Jan 29 West Ham United (away) ------------ (O)  Win > 49  (R) Draw > 47
      Sat Feb 2 Sunderland (home) ----------------------- (O)  Win > 52  (R) Win > 50
      Sun Feb 10 Chelsea (away) -------------------------- (O)  Draw > 53 (R) Draw > 51
      Sat Feb 23 Middlesbrough (home) ----------------- (O)  Win > 56  (R) Win > 54
      Sat Mar 1 Bolton Wanderers (away) --------------- (O)  Win > 59  (R) Win > 57
      Sat Mar 8 Newcastle United (home) --------------- (O)  Win > 62  (R) Draw > 58
      Sat Mar 15 Reading (home) --------------------------- (O)  Win > 65  (R) Win > 61
      Sat Mar 22 Manchester United (away) ------------- (O)  Draw > 66 (R) Draw > 62
      Sat Mar 29 Everton (home) --------------------------- (O)  Win > 69  (R) Draw > 63
      Sat Apr 5 Arsenal (away) ------------------------------ (O)  Draw > 70 (R) Draw > 64
      Apr 12 Blackburn Rovers (home) -------------------- (O)  Win > 73  (R) Draw > 65
      Sat Apr 19 Fulham (away) ----------------------------- (O)  Win > 76  (R) Win > 68
      Sat Apr 26 Birmingham City (away) ----------------- (O)  Win > 79  (R) Win > 71
      Sat May 3 Manchester City (home) ----------------- (O)  Win > 82  (R)  Win >74
      Sun May 11 Tottenham Hotspur (away) ---------- (O)  Win > 85  (R) Draw > 75
            ?          Portsmouth (Home) -------------------- (O)  Win > 88  (R) Draw > 76

Optimistically, 88 points will most likely make us Champion, but as Rafa has highlighted, we will have to win all the remaining matches and perhaps no room for further drop points. On current form, we can expect some points to be dropped along the way, and we are too far off the league leader at the moment. Realistically, will 76 points good enough to make us Champion, quite unlikely so as pass results suggests so. We simply have dropped far too many points which makes catching-up diffcult, and we have made it difficult for ourselves so far. I hate to throw in the towel this early and I sincerely hope that my assessment would be wrong at the end of the day, but 13 points adrift from the league leader at the moment is too much of a catching up to do and we have to admit that. Looks like our best hope remains with the FA Cup and the CL. Your thoughts, please.               

Too early to throw towel in.

But we will not win every game left this season... BUT there is exactly half a season left this campaign!

IF we are to win this league then Manure, Arse and Chavski have to have some major slip-ups... one slip-up that we can control are those games we play against them, and one thing that goes without saying is that we must beat (not draw) all those three away (6 pointers) to have a chance and that is a stiff ask... but if we do that (win all 3) and sustain decent form vs others along the way - then, yes we still have a chance.

Long, long way to go... but decent winning run right through January is just what the doctor is ordering. We don't do that ...and yes then, get the towel and throw it.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #4: Jan 02, 2008 03:18:52 pm
      So what you are saying realistically Liverpool are not going to lose a single game from now to the end of the campaign.  Meaning we only lose 2 games all season.

I think we will finish 3rd or 4th. Ithink we are heading in the right direction, but still lack 2 or 3 players who can win a game on their own.

I believe we are getting there.  Slowly.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #5: Jan 02, 2008 03:20:59 pm
      Davids Villa and Silva, and we will have the perfect foward line. Seeing as they play for Spain with Torres we will win alot more games with more goals.
      redkop63
      • Started Topic

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #6: Jan 02, 2008 03:34:59 pm
      Too early to throw towel in.

But we will not win every game left this season... BUT there is exactly half a season left this campaign!

IF we are to win this league then Manure, Arse and Chavski have to have some major slip-ups... one slip-up that we can control are those games we play against them, and one thing that goes without saying is that we must beat (not draw) all those three away (6 pointers) to have a chance and that is a stiff ask... but if we do that (win all 3) and sustain decent form vs others along the way - then, yes we still have a chance.

Long, long way to go... but decent winning run right through January is just what the doctor is ordering. We don't do that ...and yes then, get the towel and throw it.

Yes, agree that we have to wait and hope for the top 3 to slip-up and we win those matches against them which would hopefully close the gap which means to be Champion it may not be 88 or 90 points but perhaps 78 or 80 would do which gives us a ray of hope. Besides that, we can see that the campaign so far is very competitive where most clubs are buying big compared to previous years and we hope other teams makes a tougher opposition for the top 3 in the 2nd half of the campaign.
      redkop63
      • Started Topic

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #7: Jan 02, 2008 03:46:42 pm
      So what you are saying realistically Liverpool are not going to lose a single game from now to the end of the campaign.  Meaning we only lose 2 games all season.

I think we will finish 3rd or 4th. Ithink we are heading in the right direction, but still lack 2 or 3 players who can win a game on their own.

I believe we are getting there.  Slowly.

The eventual results will most likely balance off itself. Realistically, yes 3rd or 4th position and 3 or 4 players are definitely needed urgently to close the gap with the top 2. However, we have the bad habit of analyse potential players until situation becomes paralyse and we end up signing 2nd rated players. We need to move fast, no time to waste as the scums are closing in on 17th.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #8: Jan 02, 2008 03:53:16 pm
      So we can finish on 88 pts?

A lot better than I thought TBH.  Let's have a target for at least 80 pts and 2nd place is a great way to say we have progressed.

I don't think Rafa's ambitions are to win the League this season.  Instead he is turning us back into a winning side just the way Shankly did.  Piece by piece.

May I quote Steven Gerrard from his autobiography.  "Benitez just see's us as cogs for his team"

I think Stevies got it right.  Rafa is always putting better cogs in and replacing them.

rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #9: Jan 02, 2008 03:54:23 pm
      I belive we still have what it takes to snatch the league. If we sign who we want ( e.g silva & villa ) then we would destroy defences at the top and bottom of the table.
      redkop63
      • Started Topic

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #10: Jan 02, 2008 04:10:59 pm
      I belive we still have what it takes to snatch the league. If we sign who we want ( e.g silva & villa ) then we would destroy defences at the top and bottom of the table.

Yes, yes please bring on Silva and Villa if we can get the job done, at this stage there's nothing to loose. Pardon me pal, is Silva and Villa ruthless? Rafa has been lamenting lately of the players not being ruthless enough and he will need to jolly well get some ruthless players on board from now on to get the job done and wrap up the campaign, if not this season then next season.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #11: Jan 02, 2008 06:37:05 pm
      For me its very hard to say that we should be targeting second place and x no. of points.  As it depends when we drop out of the title race and the offerings at the time.  Lets say we are in the champions league and FA cup and we are 10 points behind with 9 games to go. Do we continue and accumulate as many points as possible or try and win one of their silverwares on offer.  And obviously the determination of players will be effected if we're out of the competition.  I don't think we have ever been 30 points behind the leaders, its the combination of the above points that has given a untrue picture of the situation.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #12: Jan 02, 2008 07:01:14 pm
      With reference to the first post you said:

a) realistically we won't lose another game all season - wouldn't call that realistic
      b) you said 88 points would make us Champions. This is very debateable.

I'm not going to do the whole predict each game thing - we did that last year and it was an unmitigated disaster.

It's clear to me that Liverpool need to eliminate drawing so many games.   Even if we lose the occassional game - 3 points one game and 0 points the next is still better than two draws.  What is more vital is that Liverpool step up to the challenge of playing Chelsea, United and Arsenal and getting some victories. 

If we can't beat two of those three then we will not have the self belief to win every other game we play.

Teams that win titles beat the other teams trying to win titles.  That's something that (ironically we did under Houllier) we haven't done under Benitez.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #13: Jan 02, 2008 10:10:57 pm
      Down to a possible 86 now! ::) F*cking terrible result
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #14: Jan 02, 2008 10:13:09 pm
      after that result will be extremly lucky to get 4th or even 5th
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #15: Jan 02, 2008 10:30:53 pm
      We will finish 4th (if Man City start playing sh*t).
      redkop63
      • Started Topic

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #16: Jan 02, 2008 10:36:05 pm
      At the rate we performing, we may even struggle to hold on to 4th. There's something wrong with our tactics which requires an immediate overhaul.
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #17: Jan 02, 2008 10:43:42 pm
      We will finish 4th (if Man City start playing sh*t).

Man City wont cock up no one will except us
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #18: Jan 02, 2008 10:46:17 pm
      Lets enjoy the moment, we're going to be qualifying for the CL! F*ck sake. It's Wigan!  ....No, sorry, ITS BRAMBLE!!!! We will finish 4th with a late tussle with Man City. Pull our fingers out and start performing with all the talent in the club. If we get that clinical finisher up front who we dont have besides Torres and more fire power on the wing (both wings) then i'll be confident in a 3rd, which is the best we can do right now. No chance we will go without a loss from now on to the end.
      Mickey LFC4Ever
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts | -6 
      Reply #19: Jan 03, 2008 05:42:22 pm
      We will end up finishing 5th close behind City unless they(as JD said) start playing sh*t. Were not going to win anything this season. As for the premiership, that can wait for at least 5 years because we lack the cutting edge to challenege for the title. Its the same old story everytime. United or one of the other top 4 drop points and hand us a lifeline then we go and and say no thanks, we'll let wigan have a point towards staying up this season.  In my opinion our realistic chance of silverware this season was the Carling Cup but Mr Benitez had other plans and decided to send out the boys against the men in blue. So to answer the question at the end of the campaign we'll end up 4th/5th with no trophies and the Yanks lose patience and sack Benitez.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #20: Jan 03, 2008 06:47:45 pm
      See where we are after the 3 games in a row that are Utd,Everton and Arsenal then we will be able to judge better.

Quick Reply