Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Home Record

Read 1769 times
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 414 posts |
      Home Record
      Jan 02, 2008 10:47:24 pm
      Arsenal - 31 points (10 W,1D)
      Man Utd - 31 points (10W,1D)
      Chelsea - 22 points (6W,4D)
      Man City - 29 points (9W,2D)
      Liverpool - 17 points (4W,5D,1L)

Even Everton and Villa have a better home record than us,Blackburn are equal.
      Granted that we have a game in hand compared to most of them,but is it enough for a team challenging for the title.The answer is a clear NO.

Its easy to see why we are 12 points off the pace.

If you look back the at the games we have drawn at home (Wigan,Birmingham,Tottenham etc),we had created enough chances to win these games comfortably.

We are lacking 2 really important attributes - consistency (last season it was our away record,this time its our home record) and killer instinct(way too many games over the past few years which we should have finished off).

Sorry for appearing pessimistic but i don't think that this will be our year (I really hope that I'm wrong).

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Home Record
      Reply #1: Jan 02, 2008 10:52:00 pm
      Totally agree.  Last season our home record was great and our away record poor.

This season completely turned on its head.

What's worrying is that we DO have the players who should be beating these sides. 

I really do not understand it.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #2: Jan 02, 2008 10:54:52 pm
      You've hit the nail on the head. Missing too many chances. We don't need new strikers to fix that. All the strikers Rafa brought in had a decent goalscoring record for their previous club or for their national side. Most have struggled here with Torres seeming to be the exception to the rule (outstanding talent).

We need to ask why we can't finish our chances. Do our strikers (Torres aside for this) look confident on the pitch, in goalscoring situations? Why? What has made them lose their ability to put away the most decent of chances? If we can figure this out we can change things. I have my theories but until I do some more research on this I'll keep them to myself.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Jan 02, 2008 11:28:50 pm
      You've hit the nail on the head. Missing too many chances. We don't need new strikers to fix that. All the strikers Rafa brought in had a decent goalscoring record for their previous club or for their national side. Most have struggled here with Torres seeming to be the exception to the rule (outstanding talent).

We need to ask why we can't finish our chances. Do our strikers (Torres aside for this) look confident on the pitch, in goalscoring situations? Why? What has made them lose their ability to put away the most decent of chances? If we can figure this out we can change things. I have my theories but until I do some more research on this I'll keep them to myself.

Good point Reepicheep. But don't forget the expectation and pressure that comes with playing for Liverpool. Have any of our current strikers played for a better club and in such a competitive league? Add to the basket that no current striker apart from Torres is more than fifty percent sure they might have a game next week and I think we could be getting somewhere. So is this down to them not being good enough (apart from Torres)?
      I've always been of the opinion that a good striker has instinct and that might get hindered, but never taken away. It would be great to hear your theories because this is all I can think of to be honest when it comes down to the strikers.

We must not forget how we've been affected with injuries to the defence so far this season. But that is no excuse when there is more draws than wins. I honestly think it's down to poor delivery into the box and not being effective up front. I've already expressed my concerns about relying on the likes of Gerrard and Torres to come up with the goods. And when it doesn't quite work for them, it seems we are goosed.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #4: Jan 03, 2008 07:42:46 am
      I thought at the start of the season we had a big and good enough squad to beat any team.Without a doubt we have missed Danny Agger in defence and I do prefer Arbeloa at right full back.If players are not playing to their ability its time for RAFA to drop them and give some of the younger lads a chance.Hopefully they will have enough fire in their belly to take on and beat the likes of Wigan.
      tommyLFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts | -4 
      Reply #5: Jan 03, 2008 08:29:16 am

Even Everton and Villa have a better home record than us,Blackburn are equal.
      Granted that we have a game in hand compared to most of them,but is it enough for a team challenging for the title.The answer is a clear NO.

If you look back the at the games we have drawn at home (Wigan,Birmingham,Tottenham etc),we had created enough chances to win these games comfortably.

We are lacking 2 really important attributes - consistency (last season it was our away record,this time its our home record) and killer instinct(way too many games over the past few years which we should have finished off).

Sorry for appearing pessimistic but I don't think that this will be our year (I really hope that I'm wrong).

Plenty to be pessimistic abut.
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #6: Jan 03, 2008 08:37:02 am

Sorry for appearing pessimistic but i don't think that this will be our year (I really hope that I'm wrong).

I think you're more REALISTIC than PESSIMISTIC mate.

PESSIMISTIC : We're leading the league by 12 points...but we'll lose all our games and we won't make it.

REALISTIC : We're trailing by 12 points and if we keep dropping points to teams we should be beating we might as well forget about it.

Label me a pessimist too...but my head is hanging very low today. :-(
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #7: Jan 03, 2008 11:03:14 am
      If we sign millions of pounds worth of players then we deserve to be winning at home and away not one or another. We are liverpool football club so we should be challenging for the title not sitting in 5th 12 points behind the leaders. :f_steam: :f_steam:
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #8: Jan 03, 2008 03:49:09 pm
      Our home form has as much to do with quiet-home-pressuring-through-silence crowds as to do with tactics.

IF you go to a home game - S U P P O R T  - F.F.S.

The difference in vocal support for away games is most notable... especially for the players... and our results.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #9: Jan 03, 2008 07:00:45 pm
      Its sods law isnt it we improve on our away form but our home form lets us down.
      Cy
      Reply #10: Jan 03, 2008 07:31:58 pm
      I agree completely. It is so frustrating to manage to deal with our away form so well and to completely becoming abysmal with our home form one of our main strength for years. Hopefully next year we will have the full package..;)..However, we need to have Anfield the way it was, a fortress and if we do that well you never know./..
      Ju
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #11: Jan 03, 2008 07:50:31 pm
      redkenny - I think its down to poor striking rather than supply from midfield . Kuyt the biggest culprit  :f_steam:
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #12: Jan 27, 2008 07:39:15 pm
      If you think about it, we would be right up there if we could have a decent home form. We have equally the best away form in the Premiership, but when that happens it's vice versa for home form.

One season we have excellent home form and poor away form, another season vice versa! Why?
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #13: Jan 27, 2008 10:32:23 pm
      Let's combine this season and last to get an all new super-duper extra special season!

Seriously though, it's not like we're leaking goals or our defence has been shaky; before the Reading game we hadn't lost home or away, but it's those frustrating draws; turning 1 point into 3; putting away our chances when we get them.

As Reepi mentioned, our strikers, Torres aside, don't look like they're more than likely to score when the chance presents itself. In comparison, would you bet on Cesc Fabregas, Adebayor scoring for Arsenal, Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo for Man Utd, and Drogba or Joe Cole for Chelsea? I'd put my money on them rather than Dirky Kuyt and Andriy F***ing voronin.

The only two players I'd bank on scoring for us consistently, and as they have been doing this season, is Gerrard and Torres. Perhaps Benayoun could also be put into that, as he's shown he's a clinical finisher should he get the chance. Babel has a great shot and precise finish with both feet, but Rafa hasn't given him the chance yet, which is a great loss to the whole team.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Jan 28, 2008 04:40:21 am
      Babel and Rafa sat down earlier and he was told that he would play on the wing and mature there before playing up front, he is still young and learning his trade as an English footballer.

A big case for Man City's unprecedented is their home record. Sven has worked hard on their home form and look at their jump up the table. If we had our normal home record we would be pushing the title. It hasnt been our year and obvious with key injuries to Pennant, Arbeloa, Xabi, Danny etc. We have been unlucky and im sure of it that next season we will be lifting the title when Voro is gone and a class striker is up front to bury the work of our midfield.

Walk on with our heads held high Red men!
      BobbyIrish
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #15: Jan 28, 2008 07:19:47 pm
      Our home form is appaling, We MUST win games against teams like Birmingham and Wigan..

Quick Reply