Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Luton vs Liverpool - Pre Match Thread

Read 4361 times
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Luton vs Liverpool (Sunday 6th Jan)
      Reply #23: Jan 04, 2008 11:06:26 pm
      Should be a good game but for goodness sake Rafa play 4-4-2

Reina

Finnan,    Carra,      Hobbs,          Riise  I'd say this is pretty much our best defence right now without wanting to risk Agger to start with.

Pennant,        Lucas,       Alonso,          Kewell  Great that Pennant is back as now we will start to see the wide areas covered more even though he looked rusty he will come good soon.  Lucas and Alonso will work well together without getting in each others way.

Kuyt,        Crouch          Best bet really and I think we should give Torres a break as we have more than 1 striker and they must be getting frustrated.

Bench: Intadje, Agger, El Zhar, Torres, Mascherano

As much as this will be using most of our first team players this is the FA Cup and we could at least win this if we play it cool and calmly until we have our injured stars back.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Jan 05, 2008 12:35:15 am
      EddieC

7kingkenny7, I don't remember Martin having played a first team game for us?

If memory serves me correctly the Charlton game last season was Daniel Padelli's one & only game for the reds, and he had an absolute stinker.

Padelli, i couldnt remember his name and thats why i thought it was Martin in goal, oops
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #25: Jan 05, 2008 02:52:51 am
      Has anyone seen Luton play recently, if you have what were they like, I think we should be able to beat them with a team of reserves, if we can't win with a team of reserves.....I don't want to think about it, shouldn't happen, a safe 2-0 I will say.
      kopitenatty
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #26: Jan 05, 2008 03:00:54 am
                                     pepe reina
      ste finnan   jamie carragher   jack hoobs   john arne riise
      Ryan Babel  Xabi Alonso   Javier Mascaranho  Yossi Benayoun
                       Peter Crouch   Fernando Torres

subs: voronin kuyt lucas spearing derby

;)
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #27: Jan 05, 2008 04:23:55 am

I agree with you on this Batman, unfortunately we can't afford to take any chances, which is a real shame because you should be able to play some of your 'lesser' players in a game like this.

Maybe one or two in the team, but that's all, the rest should be first teamers, we certainly can't afford to not win this game, can you imagine the stick Rafa would get from the press and media in general if we lose this, doesn't bear thinking about does it?

And some of the so-called Liverpool  (Rafa should go) fans would be calling for his head, especially as according to some people we aren't even going to finish in the top 4 this season :f_steam:

I'm going for 2-0 to the boys in Red.........Come On :kop5cf8koxp6:

I agree perfectly with letting a few reserve men in, but not too many too fast. We need to score off the whistle and get a good 2-0 lead before halftime. And you're right, if we do mess this one up, Rafa better go hide under a rock. He is a very intelligent man with a lot of great ideas, I just hope his rotation policy won't get in the way too much. He's been in these situations before, and he knows how to handle them.

I wouldn't object to seeing Lucas or Hobbs start for us, I have faith in them.

LETS GO REDMEN!! :kop5cf8koxp6:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #28: Jan 05, 2008 07:51:31 am
                       Itandje

Finnan   Hobbs   Arbeloa   Insua

El Zhar   Lucas    Alonso   Leto

Crouch   Babel

Should be enough for a 3-0 win.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #29: Jan 05, 2008 09:16:58 am
      We should play our strongest team that is available.As Stevie , Arbeloa and aurelio are out I would like to see Lucas start with Insua for Aurelio and if Hypia is still unfit bring in Hobbs.Luton should not be treated to lightly as there have been so many top clubs knocked out by lower opposition over the years,Ourselves included.I would just like the REDS to go out and slaughter Luton and get some pride back after the Wigan Debacle.
      chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #30: Jan 05, 2008 11:48:03 am
      kopitenatty love that wallpaper you put on ere with gerrard with heads on Scum anderson ;D nice one! Cannot wait until tomorrow i live not too far from Luton so i am going to the game, will have a great day
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #31: Jan 05, 2008 12:05:36 pm
      How did you manage to get your hands on a ticket Chris? My mates son plays for Luton's youth team & not even he could get a ticket.
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #32: Jan 05, 2008 12:37:23 pm
      Apparnetly liverpool are refusing to help Luton, by refusing to donate the League One strugglers their share of Sunday's gate receipts, surley we should be able to give them this money which is ÂŁ200,000 that should be pocket money to Liverpool.

Just thought id give it a mention, to see your view on it. 

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=535827
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #33: Jan 05, 2008 01:58:32 pm
      I hope its not as scary as the last time we played i turned it off when Luton went 3-1 up,turned it back on when it was 3-3.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #34: Jan 05, 2008 02:08:40 pm
      Yes, it would be a good gesture, but its not Liverpool's place to help Luton Town, plus they never helped Liverpool in 1987 when they never turned up for a 3rd round replay at Anfield saying they were snowed in, all lies, they were down to there bare bones and would have been knocked out. By the time the replay went ahead all the top players were back, cheats .  Cant see the FA giving their share of the gate, can you ?

Anyway, looks like we're being painted the baddies again - what's new ?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article3134370.ece

January 5, 2008
      Luton’s plea for financial help from Liverpool is turned down
      Tom Dart

Liverpool have refused a request from Luton Town to donate their share of the gate money from tomorrow’s FA Cup third-round tie to their opponents, despite the Coca-Cola League One club being in such dire financial straits that they are in danger of folding and cannot afford to pay their players.

Luton are losing about £400,000 a month and went into administration in November. Their players have been paid only 2½ weeks’ wages in the past nine weeks. The club’s joint-administrator, Brendan Guilfoyle, asked the Barclays Premier League club if they were willing to forgo a share of the revenue from the tie, but was rebuffed.

“They probably said, ‘We have to pay players £100,000 a week. You must be joking, otherwise we will be like you,’ ” Kevin Blackwell, the Luton manager, said. “You just have to accept it. There are people in life who have got a Rolls-Royce while some people have a Mini. We are Mini drivers.”

The match will be televised live, earning each club ÂŁ150,000, and Kenilworth Road will be full to its 10,000 capacity. Of the gate money, 45 per cent goes to each club and 10 per cent to a Football Association pool, so Luton and Liverpool stand to receive about ÂŁ100,000 each from ticket sales. The winning club earns ÂŁ40,000 in prize-money.   

Blackwell is donating his wages to Luton’s trainees, who are paid £70 a week. “I’ve got players here on £175 a week, some on £400, so there are lads here who can’t even handle being in the situation because it came out of the blue,” he said. “We went into administration three days before pay-day in November. It wasn’t as if anyone was given any warning.”

While Luton’s mess - they also face a series of charges relating to alleged irregular payments to players - is hardly Liverpool’s problem, their decision not to make a gesture of support will reopen the debate about whether the nation’s leading clubs should do more to help their smaller cousins, given the vast amount of money flowing into top-flight football.

League One clubs receive about £375,000 a year from the Football League’s television deal. The Premier League’s various television contracts bring in about £900 million a year, of which they donate roughly 1.2 per cent to the Football League to be shared among its clubs. But even the club that finishes bottom of the Premier League this season can expect to be handed more than £30 million in TV revenue alone.

Going into administration provoked a ten-point deduction that leaves Luton in the relegation zone. With other clubs circling, they face a player exodus during the transfer window. The administrators have set a deadline of 5pm Monday for offers from prospective buyers and two parties are thought to be seriously interested.

An FA spokesman confirmed that there is no rule to prevent a club donating their share of the gate money to an opponent. Chelsea gave ÂŁ25,000 to Scarborough for youth development when the clubs met in the FA Cup in 2004, though Roman Abramovich, the owner, can easily afford such largesse.

Liverpool’s American owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, are not in Abramovich’s financial league. Their takeover of the club last year and plans to build a new stadium rely heavily on bank loans. Liverpool refused to comment on Luton’s request.

chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #35: Jan 05, 2008 04:29:17 pm
      Eddie My mate knows someone close to the club they managed to get me and the missus a ticket, But in the Luton end!! ;D Will have my LFC top on tho when im past the stewards
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #36: Jan 05, 2008 07:22:50 pm
      I heard the situation about Luton a few weeks ago and did feel that the game will help them somewhat in terms of tickets sales for such a high profile team.  I guess you have to respect the decision of not giving Luton any share of the cash though as it is pointed out in smiggs post they never helped us and it's dog eat dog in the world of football and that's something they must accept.

The best thing they can do is play well and get a draw so they can have a replay @ Anfield and get the share of those ticket sales.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #37: Jan 06, 2008 01:11:38 am
      So the Luton players haven't been paid up in full. Happened to me many times in the past. How did I get over it ? I went and found another job, big deal. Just because you play footy for a living, don't think the world owes you a favour. If the club folds, thats bad news but they will just have to build it up again like any other business would have to. Am I being nasty or just realistic. ? I got on because I am good at my job. I always wished it would be as a pro footballer but unfortunatetly it's as a bricklayer.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #38: Jan 06, 2008 02:17:31 am
      So the Luton players haven't been paid up in full. Happened to me many times in the past. How did I get over it ? I went and found another job, big deal. Just because you play footy for a living, don't think the world owes you a favour. If the club folds, thats bad news but they will just have to build it up again like any other business would have to. Am I being nasty or just realistic. ? I got on because I am good at my job. I always wished it would be as a pro footballer but unfortunatetly it's as a bricklayer.
      If Luton were to fold I am sure the players union would cover their wages,maybe it is time the agents paid a percentage of their fees to a fidelity fund to cover players wages.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #39: Jan 06, 2008 08:10:46 am
      How about we donate our share to the HJC or a charity in Liverpool? Then maybe think about paying the wages of other team's players.  ::)
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #40: Jan 06, 2008 09:50:38 am
      There's plenty of charities who would benefit from a donation from LFC, I think Luton FC are way down the list.

Our own Zoe's Place, HJC, Alder Hey Hospital to name a few...... ;)
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #41: Jan 06, 2008 10:42:03 am
      We should play our strongest team that is available.As Stevie , Arbeloa and aurelio are out I would like to see Lucas start with Insua for Aurelio and if Hypia is still unfit bring in Hobbs.Luton should not be treated to lightly as there have been so many top clubs knocked out by lower opposition over the years,Ourselves included.I would just like the REDS to go out and slaughter Luton and get some pride back after the Wigan Debacle.

I agree with you Billy we should not take this likely. I would like us to have a good cup run this year, I do love the FA Cup its such a great competition  this would be my team

Reina
      Risse Carra Hobbs Finnan
      Babel Mascha Alonso Kewel
      Status Quo Crouch

Surely Crouch should have a run out!! Redeem himself a bit, and perhaps lets not waste too much energy long ball for PC then status to run onto the knock down F**k the entertainment lets just win and win ugly then we can all laugh at the press reports later today.
      chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #42: Jan 06, 2008 12:39:56 pm
      Off to Luton now takes about 1/2 hour from me, going to a friends for few hours then off to Kenilworth Road Come on you mighty reds!!!!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,475 posts | 2861 
      Reply #43: Jan 06, 2008 02:46:36 pm
      Please play a full team and win this one Rafa!!!!!!! None of this 4-5-1 stuff!

By the way, what is wrong with Agger? Wasn't he expected to be back ages ago?
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #44: Jan 06, 2008 02:52:34 pm

As opposed to playing with 10 men?

:D :D :D
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #45: Jan 06, 2008 03:27:49 pm
      Well I just seen the team for today ,and to coin a phrase. Do I not like that .I know its luton but,to go there without either top scorers I think is suicide. just hope I am wrong

Quick Reply