Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Martin Škrtel (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce)

Read 244827 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Re: Martin Škrtel Player Thread
      Reply #2162: Mar 30, 2016 01:40:48 pm
      I like big Squirtle he has always given 100%, but I agree with most I think his time is up.

Id be starting Kolo ahead of him with lovren. Think Sahko could be gone too.

Matip, Gomez, Lovren & Kolo as 4th choice next season.

Why would anyone think that anyone but maybe Matip would be ahead of Sakho? Puzzling.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2163: Mar 30, 2016 02:51:17 pm
      Same logic is why he won't fit with Klopp's tactics.  He is a good footballer and a good defender in the right setup, but that isn't the way our new manager wants to play.
      Your answer Harry makes it clear to me (you can correct me if I'm wrong) that you don't actually believe Martin is "sh*te"... just the wrong player for this set up.

The 'question' was really only directed at supporters who are more than happy to label Martin as "sh*te" [etc] time and time and F***ing time again.... but thanks anyhow.  :gt-happyup:

Oh... and... but... before I forget... given that Jürgen has picked Martin every time he's been fit - Why do you believe it's taken Jürgen so long to twig on to the "fact" that Martin doesn't fit his style of play?  Assuming he has, of course.  :o ;)

I asked the same question the other day mate and no one could really answer it as far as I could see.
      Ooops. I missed that Si; sorry buddy. Aye mate, you're hardly likely to get an answer either; well an answer which stands even the simplest of scrutiny.

The 'problem' a lot of folk will have, is the fact that - the type of F***ing dicksplash who's willing to continually abuse a player from the club they support is also the type to have, (at one stage or another) pledged allegiance to the then manager. You know the type - the "In Rafa/Kenny/Brendan/Jürgen I trust." type? 

The question: "Do you F***ing trust him or not?" should put pay to any debate with everyone but the slowest.  :laugh:

« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2016 03:23:08 pm by bad boy bubby »
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #2164: Mar 30, 2016 04:40:41 pm
      Oh... and... but... before I forget... given that Jürgen has picked Martin every time he's been fit - Why do you believe it's taken Jürgen so long to twig on to the "fact" that Martin doesn't fit his style of play?  Assuming he has, of course.  :o ;)
      Ooops. I missed that Si; sorry buddy. Aye mate, you're hardly likely to get an answer either; well an answer which stands even the simplest of scrutiny.

For the same reason we had Lucas playing at CB and brought Caulker in on loan.  We have been wrecked by injuries to our CB's and the general rule has been to play whoever is fit...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2165: Mar 30, 2016 05:12:47 pm
      For the same reason we had Lucas playing at CB and brought Caulker in on loan.  We have been wrecked by injuries to our CB's and the general rule has been to play whoever is fit...
      Aye... dead on Harry; that makes sense.  :gt-happyup:

Jürgen only picked Martin because there was no one else available. It's obvious then that Martin's last game [Southampton] will be exactly that... his last game (providing everyone is fit, of course).

What do you reckon Harry: good news, at least, for the 'Reds' who think Martin is "sh*te" or will their collective holes be playing 'the 5p - 50p game'? You know; hoping Jürgen doesn't make a c**t out of them by picking Martin again when everyone's fit?  :laugh:

"General Rule"; you say Harry? Hmm...  :-\

Slightly off topic: that Caulker fella, you mention - signed as a centre-half they tell me. He must be proper "sh*te" if he can't get a game when Martin is injured. What the F**k was that all about? Let me guess... "A transfer committee signing"? 

Do I look like a "slow-witted, F**k-tard"? Don't answer that.... I must.  :laugh:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2166: Mar 30, 2016 06:25:44 pm
      The Kop!!

And I'm talking about the old standing one - a proper Scouse education.

Not a genius, just a proper Liverpool fan, unlike you!
      Fixed it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #2167: Mar 30, 2016 07:31:18 pm

The Kop!!

And I'm talking about the old standing one - a proper Scouse education.

Not a genius, just a proper Liverpool fan, unlike you!

And refixed

Did I hit the mark with you not actually going the match and all that!!

harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #2168: Mar 30, 2016 08:44:59 pm
      Aye... dead on Harry; that makes sense.  :gt-happyup:

Jürgen only picked Martin because there was no one else available. It's obvious then that Martin's last game [Southampton] will be exactly that... his last game (providing everyone is fit, of course).

What do you reckon Harry: good news, at least, for the 'Reds' who think Martin is "sh*te" or will their collective holes be playing 'the 5p - 50p game'? You know; hoping Jürgen doesn't make a c**t out of them by picking Martin again when everyone's fit?  :laugh:

"General Rule"; you say Harry? Hmm...  :-\

Slightly off topic: that Caulker fella, you mention - signed as a centre-half they tell me. He must be proper "sh*te" if he can't get a game when Martin is injured. What the f**k was that all about? Let me guess... "A transfer committee signing"? 

Do I look like a "slow-witted, f**k-tard"? Don't answer that.... I must.  :laugh:

Ha!!  Quite the contrary, you seem like a very intelligent and we'll informed bloke :)

I wouldn't say Caulker was a committee signing.  I'd say he was a stop-gap panic signing because by the end of the Capitol One Cup game against Stoke on January 5th we had (5) 1st team CB's carrying injuries -- Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren, Toure, and Gomez.  We also recalled Ilori due to this injury crisis. 

I would say if everyone is fit, Skrtel is 3rd choice behind Lovren and Sakho.  The thing is, neither of Toure or Caulker are long term solutions, and Ilori is a kid with very little experience.  So, being the 3rd choice CB in one of the worst defenses in the Prem and only having to be better (in ability and tactical fit) than Toure, Caulker, and Ilori is hardly an honour....

If we are going to improve, wouldn't it make sense to replace players who don't suit the manager's tactics with one's that do ??? 

Or do you honestly believe that Martin's defensive style will suit Klopp's tactics and long term vision ???
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2169: Mar 30, 2016 10:01:53 pm
      It seems to me that most people are prepared to accept that Skrtel's Liverpool career maybe drawing to a conclusion. Equally, I've yet to see a post claiming he played well when he came on against Southampton.

The issue though surely is the total lack of respect for Skrtel as a man, a human being and a servant of the club. No need for all the sh!t that's been written about hI'm on here.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #2170: Mar 30, 2016 10:30:10 pm
      It seems to me that most people are prepared to accept that Skrtel's Liverpool career maybe drawing to a conclusion. Equally, I've yet to see a post claiming he played well when he came on against Southampton.

The issue though surely is the total lack of respect for Skrtel as a man, a human being and a servant of the club. No need for all the sh!t that's been written about hI'm on here.

Amen.  Some of the rhetoric has been way over the top and distasteful.  Even though I hope he is sold and replaced this summer, I still appreciate and respect everything he has done for the club.  He's never given less than 100% and I think others could learn a thing or two from his attitude and work ethic -- so long as they don't start mimicking his defensive positioning!!!  :)
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2171: Mar 30, 2016 11:10:31 pm

Agree with this.

Criticism has been way over the top.

Matip has not kicked a ball in the PL yet and he is already being lauded as the new Beckenbauer.

Don't understand this.

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2172: Mar 30, 2016 11:24:53 pm
      As I have felt and stated numerous times, he is exactly the kind of player that shows the problems that the club and we as fans mostly have.
      He isn't good enough for any top teams around Europe and therefore isn't good enough for us BUT we so love a cult hero, one which we state to be a 'monster', one that 'leaves a mark' on an opponent.
      Great
      Look at his over all career at lfc
      Very patchy.
      He is the epitome of the a defender that makes a great last second sliding tackle.
      Sure, it looks awesome but why is he at a point where he has to make a possibly penalty causing tackle? Because he wasn't switched on, lost his marker and had to make the very last resort decision.
      Don't get me wrong. I like Martin. I like him as a player but is he a player that you can depend upon, a player to command a back line? A player to be trusted?
      Not at all.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2173: Apr 01, 2016 12:44:29 pm
      No doubt some of the criticism of players is occasionally OTT and not needed.

But some of the counter arguments are just as ridiculous, he is a "loyal servant" who we should be in gratitude to.

He is an employee who gets paid £90K a week , over £4M a year and the suggestion that he is doing this as some sort of loyalty to LFC is just frankly laughable.

We don't owe Skrtel anything apart from asking him not to screw up when he puts on the red shirt.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #2174: Apr 01, 2016 02:10:38 pm
      No doubt some of the criticism of players is occasionally OTT and not needed.

But some of the counter arguments are just as ridiculous, he is a "loyal servant" who we should be in gratitude to.

He is an employee who gets paid £90K a week , over £4M a year and the suggestion that he is doing this as some sort of loyalty to LFC is just frankly laughable.

We don't owe Skrtel anything apart from asking him not to screw up when he puts on the red shirt.

That's how you see it, other people surely are allowed to rate and I dare say even "like" players and feel indebted to them for serving this club if they do so loyally and in the right way? My employers pay me a fare wage and I do a job, but surely it's ok for my clients (the people I service) to feel indebted to me for good service, loyalty and good work ethic? 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2175: Apr 01, 2016 02:49:27 pm
      That's how you see it, other people surely are allowed to rate and I dare say even "like" players and feel indebted to them for serving this club if they do so loyally and in the right way? My employers pay me a fare wage and I do a job, but surely it's ok for my clients (the people I service) to feel indebted to me for good service, loyalty and good work ethic? 

You have your own views FL for me the idea that a player like Skrtel is doing it out of loyalty to the club and we should not have a go at him when he is performing badly just because he has been at the club for a while is misguided.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2176: Apr 01, 2016 03:12:50 pm
      You have your own views FL for me the idea that a player like Skrtel is doing it out of loyalty to the club and we should not have a go at him when he is performing badly just because he has been at the club for a while is misguided.

But nobody is saying that are they? Criticise him, fine. Name calling and all that? Think he maybe deserves a bit better.

If you don't understand that then I can't really debate with you.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2177: Apr 01, 2016 03:33:51 pm
      But nobody is saying that are they? Criticise him, fine. Name calling and all that? Think he maybe deserves a bit better.

If you don't understand that then I can't really debate with you.

I did state at the start of my post that some of the criticism has been OTT and not needed.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #2178: Apr 01, 2016 03:36:33 pm

Skrtel has been crap a few times this year and as recently as our last game that he played. That being said....as you said, some of the abuse has been ott. You seemed to intimate that because he gets paid millions of dollars it's ok for fans to take that view...I don't know that I believe that should make a difference. I'm sure some folks would say I'm overpaid for what I  do....does that give them the right to  berate me about my performances? 
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2179: Apr 01, 2016 03:58:41 pm
      I would say if everyone is fit, Skrtel is 3rd choice behind Lovren and Sakho.
      Assuming we play with a centre-half pairing (as normal) that would make him a second choice starter behind the first choice two or... first choice if any of the two or injured but as a pair is actually one entity... not third choice. However the truth is he's probably first pick for a starting berth whether people like that or not.

Like I say: If Jürgen picks Martin when everyone is fit (which he has done many times) - the 'theory' that he only gets picked is proper sh*te. We shall see; eh?

Or do you honestly believe that Martin's defensive style will suit Klopp's tactics and long term vision

"Long term vision" eh? Hmm - I hadn't realised that we were now 'arguing' about long term visions  :laugh: but in answer to that: Martin will hardly be here long term... however he's here now and still gets picked by Jürgen, who knows way more than me.

If and when Jürgen drops Martin to play someone better I won't be dabbing my trunks - in fact; I'll be happy.

To be honest two left sided centre-backs and £38m later I'm still waiting for that day to come regarding Agger.

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2016 04:13:41 pm by bad boy bubby »
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #2180: Apr 07, 2016 07:57:50 pm
      Assuming we play with a centre-half pairing (as normal) that would make him a second choice starter behind the first choice two or... first choice if any of the two or injured but as a pair is actually one entity... not third choice. However the truth is he's probably first pick for a starting berth whether people like that or not.

Well, he's fit and doesn't feature in the starting 11 or on the bench today....  Where does that put him ???
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #2181: Apr 08, 2016 01:16:27 am
      Well, he's fit and doesn't feature in the starting 11 or on the bench today....  Where does that put him ???

On the transfer list, I reckon.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #2182: Apr 08, 2016 01:33:13 am
      Yeah, not even being in the squad feels like a big statement from Klopp. He's done, I think.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #2183: May 01, 2016 02:48:36 pm
      Captain Craptastic.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2184: May 01, 2016 08:09:47 pm
      That's putting it kindly.