Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Luton vs Liverpool - Match Thread

Read 19001 times
      chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Re: Luton vs Liverpool - Match Thread
      Reply #115: Jan 06, 2008 08:17:50 pm
      I went and it was Luton all over us all game, we were shi*te
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #116: Jan 06, 2008 08:24:59 pm
      What is the actual point in rotating a keeper?

Seriously.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #117: Jan 06, 2008 08:26:28 pm
      Probably to give him more experience in case Pepe gets injured  ;)

Anyway, he wasn't rotating he was 'resting'  ;) ;D
      chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #118: Jan 06, 2008 08:40:39 pm
      The only one that can get on the coach with his head held high was Carragher played well the rest lacked passion
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #119: Jan 06, 2008 08:40:51 pm
      What is the actual point in rotating a keeper?

Seriously.

Could have been worse, Itandje saved us from defeat in some circumstances.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #120: Jan 06, 2008 08:42:38 pm
      I would give Itandje a mention too Chris, don't think he had a bad game & actually think he had the equaliser til Riise got in the way.
      chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #121: Jan 06, 2008 08:56:33 pm
      eddie c apologies yes i was meant to say Itandje also
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #122: Jan 06, 2008 08:57:18 pm
      Well the popular choice seems to be 'Liverpool were sh*te today.' ' Not the Liverpool we have come to expect.' Why the F**k not ? we've been playing like this for far too long, off and on, in my opinioin. Another eight changes today wasn't it. I know three were forced but for christ sake at least replace them with similar players and consider that the team was weakened enough because of it. But EIGHT changes ? O.K. Luton played out of their skins but we should still be able to give them a footballing lesson. First you have to match their passion and comitment, we were no where near. I think we have to get used to this in the near future as it seems the team has now lost all its desire and understanding.  I thought we had our form blip in Oct and Nov with  insepid performances. It seems its more like our permanent form with the occasional good performance thrown in. I think we are now expecting too much over a full season from what are obviously average players, bar about five, mabey six. I'm just going to watch with no expectation from now on. I won't expect any further progress in the Prem, Mabey a uefa place for next season. No further progress in the C. L.  and if we do beat Luton in the re play, lets hope the draw is good to us and we may make the q.f. This I think is all we can honestly expect, this way there's less stress and disapointment and my Missus and Kids don't have live with a miserable b***ard when we underperform.  If we should win anything there's only joy and happiness as it is so unexpected !Yeah, this rotation system works great doesn't it. Mabey Rafa secretly wants the push so he can collect a big payday before he goes back to Spain.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #123: Jan 06, 2008 09:11:16 pm
      in games like this against league one sides, rafa's rotation policy shouldn't be an issue.  our reserves should easily be able to take care of this lot.  luton were hungrier and seemed to want it more, definitely deserved their draw.  you'd think after our last few league performances the players that were brought in for todays game would want to put on a show and try to get a start in the prem, but apart from carra and a noteable mention to itandje, no one stepped up to the plate.  a lot of people are saying there are problems behind closed doors, hard to argue with that going on the performances over the past few weeks.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #124: Jan 06, 2008 09:53:15 pm
      Come on... somebody give me a succinct match report.  The website's waiting!
      Cy
      Reply #125: Jan 06, 2008 10:32:59 pm
      Comparing this game to other League games is, in my opinion, irrelevant. This is the FA cup, and this result for Luton is all what the FA cup is about. We didn't play well but the most disappointing is that we didn't need that extra game in our calendar.

The own goal was a freak goal, probably the only one we will see scored like that this year in any competition. I'm gutted we didn't just kill the game, but, for Luton it would always been their cup final and credit to them they gave us a hell of a game. Not only they were playing their final, but also probably the survival of their club...Can't hardly find more motivated fellas!!

Now, with the quality of players on the pitch that we had, no excuse we should have win that football match...but importantly, we didn't lost it, which could have happened...

We will easily beat them back home, and hopefully once again do the job in full, beating all the odds!!
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 10:36:39 pm by Cy »
      White
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 73 posts | -1 
      Reply #126: Jan 06, 2008 11:20:33 pm
      My views on yet another dissapointing display.

We were outplayed, we couldn't get the ball, we couldn't get in the game. Against clubs like Luton you gotta stamp your authority early, i thought the Babel effort early on waa gonna do that. It didn't, first half we were ok, at least we created a few chances, second half we were terrible.

There should be no blame at all attached to the manager for the formation, selection, this team should win with ease vs Luton. Yes even tho it had poor players like Kuyt and Riise, poor peformers like Crouch. They ar still better than Luton.

We were on the backfoot sadly, we couldn't pass the ball. Anyone see a pass from defense? Nope! Carra was amazing in defense, but FFS him and the rest of that defense, we are playing Luton, there are teammates close to you, your not under that much pressure. Pass the ball out, or at least play an aimful longball. But NOOOOOOO, long ablls, every bad performace, is cos of the long ball. Ever see the other top 4 use it? If so compared to us they don't. Why don't we pass.

Luton stretched us, side to side, they played ball up top, and the strikers won it unlike our. They got the second balls, they played GOOD football. They gained confidence throughout, always had the upper hand.

Where as we were the opposite. We do have so many poor players, bad signings they are, not LFC quality.

Goalkeeper - I have no fear if i see Itandje in goals again. He is a good keeper. A solid, keeper with good ability. Deserves a lot of credit for being o patient, as in getting games. Good keeper, hope he gets more chances.

Defense - Except for Carra everyone was shaky. But we did ok defnsively. But for someone reason they beat us aerially. Also Finnan was rather poor, Riise was ok defensively. Carr was good defensively. Hyypia got owned on a few occasion but he did ok. I think if he was fully fit that woudn't have happened. Riise and Finnan were guilty of letting crosses come in. How many times did that ball go across our goal? They were just sending them in. Carra got f**ked by Talbot ONCE, other than that Solid. But offensively! OMG we couldn't get one high, low ball out from the defense. Carra is tha main culprit, it's a horrid sight seeing him with the ball at his feet. Finnan and Riise offered almost no support down th wings. When did Riise link with Babel? Finnan link with Benayoun or Kuyt? ( Fair do's to Steve cos Yossi was too narrow and Kuyt is s**t) Riise the non professional footballer was unlucky with OG, but he is so damn thick, and he handled it. Awful offensively. Shaky defensively. Bad all round to be honest.

Midfield - First of all, the midfield couldn't get the ball cos, Defense smash upfield where our strikers would lose out and again another Luton attack. IMO i thought Alonso was our best player there, whenever he had the ball at feet, (RARE) He tried to create, only decent outlet was Babel, Crouch would lose the header, f**k know what Kuyt would have done. Babel has pace. He played a few good balls to Babel, but he tried that Portsouth ball, any slip from the Luton fullback, Babel off and away. Alonso tried to clean the game up, but h ecan't do that if the rest of the team is a mess. Lucas again couldn't get the ballt to feet, same reason, whenever he did he was looking to creat, same options as Alonso, but he played some clean passes. Don't judge this performance. Babel again whenever he had the ball to feet (RARE) he tried to run with the ball we all know how good he is at that. He can't always do that reasons why h e may have lost it is cos oflack of support, (Riise, Crouch waiting somewhere in the box for a header he would have lost, Kuyt at CB). Don't know why he was taken off most affective player attacking wise running with the ball. When he was up front where we all know he should be Carra et crew were hitting it up in the air. Ball to f***ing feet! Benayoun was good at times, he could also not get the ball, you should know why. Couple of good things but most bad, too indecisive, makes to any wrong decisions. And was not on the wing most of the game.

Striker - Kuyt and Crouch - Shrek and Donkey. Both are sh*te, Crouch lost every ball in the air and was sh*te in everything else, bar one touch and a shot which went straight down the keeper throat. Kuyt is awful, he must be meaning to do it now, he wa sthat bad, everything he did was afwful, yet again a game where he should be around the bos, he wasn't so h emoved to the RW. f***ing slow as f**k whats he gonna do there. Should be flogged of along with a number of other players. Also imagine Crouch not there, how did Vorniin miss? He took it off Yossi and missed. Horrible.

Luton did well, but we were wose than s**t.

We need Gerrard and Torres, and need to stop playing the long ball. I think if we didn't that game w ewould have won. Think we Carra makes the defense watch Bolton. We need to get rid of some of the crap we own. You all know who, bring in some class.
      sunbeam1664
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #127: Jan 06, 2008 11:55:02 pm
      Hello people,

I've joined the forum just to join in with everyone else on the slating of the team for tonights performance!

We were absolutely dreadful. Besides Carra there was not one player who was taking the game by the scruff of the neck. They have got to stop relying on Gerrard to be there all of the time! They are clearly good enough players, but christ! After tonights performance you certainly wouldn't think so.

I mean to be embarrassed by a league 1 side?!?! The players should be ashamed of themselves. Luton's players showed what FA cup football should be about, players from all walks of life slogging it out for a hope of a wembley ticket! Not playing in the hope that the ground will open up and swallow them! Step forward Mr Kuyt, Finnan, and Crouch!

The 3 players mentioned above are playing like they are sulking. And if that is the case then they are pathetic! Just because the club has bought Torres and Arbeloa then you should be trying doubly hard, not sticking out your lip and playing like you have concrete blocks tied around your feet! Christs sake! I've totally run out of patience with screaming at Kuyt to get off of the wing and get in the bloody box!! Where else is he ever gonna score? He is beyond me.

And will someone at the club please come out and back the manager?!? For nothing else than to instill some confidence in the team and to shut the gutter press up for once!

Well. Rant over! Thanks for reading. It's good to get that off of my chest!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #128: Jan 07, 2008 12:37:43 am
      Welcome to the forum Sunbeam.....

I think we are all feeling a bit pissed off tonight with that performance.

But we have to move on and look forward now to the next game

There's nothing we can do about the match, so let's hope the players can lift themselves and perform in a way which we know they can.

Positive thinking ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #129: Jan 07, 2008 05:00:42 am
      Bye bye Kuyt.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #130: Jan 07, 2008 07:00:05 am
      I said this year i am not going to get pissed off with Liverpool after a performance, and i stick by it lets take a positive from this match, sure we drew at their home but i don't think they can pull of a win at Anfield. Also this draw gives them alot of help in that they build up funds by coming to Anfield. Terrible performance and plenty to inprove on but as long as we beat them at Anfield we can be okay with this game.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #131: Jan 07, 2008 08:51:44 am
      They are playing for not only survival in their league but of their club. Hand it to them for playing so well, i know if we were in that situation we would beat any team we versed by 5 goals.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #132: Jan 07, 2008 08:59:20 am
      I would give Itandje a mention too Chris, don't think he had a bad game & actually think he had the equaliser til Riise got in the way.
      If you look closely (not picking on you) the Luton player makes no contact with the ball at all, so if Riise stayed out of the way, it would never have been 1-1, but then the least Luton deserved after their performance was a replay don't you think? And after all if there is no buyer by 1700 today, we won't have a team to play against.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #133: Jan 07, 2008 09:04:37 am
      How? Just post it here or how?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #134: Jan 07, 2008 09:25:22 am

Many thanks RedKenny

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2008/01/06/luton-1-1-liverpool/
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Rafa comes out.
      Reply #135: Jan 07, 2008 10:07:13 am
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Re: Rafa comes out.
      Reply #136: Jan 07, 2008 10:11:42 am
      Maybe you could post the actual text as well?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #137: Jan 07, 2008 10:39:36 am
      Good article from the Daily Post, the Rafa critics may pay special attention to the last sentence.

Embarrassingly awful showing at Luton
      Jan 7 2008
      View From The Stands
      by Larry Moran, Liverpool Daily Post

THE only positive to come out of that game was the fact that we are still in the draw to be made today.

There is not one player who can come out of that game head held high with possibly the exception of Carragher.

Alonso and Lucas in centre midfield hardly won a tackle; in fact it seemed every 50-50 ball all over the pitch went Luton’s way.

Crouch scored a tap-in but did nothing else. Kuyt? Bought as a striker he seems to play everywhere but in the box and spends most games giving the ball away.

He was so ineffective you began to wonder whether it would have been better to take him off and play with 10 men.

It was an awful, embarrassing, performance and frankly many supporters are getting sick of watching Liverpool sides look so laboured. Wholesale changes meant Liverpool – again – played like a group of strangers.

The question most fans pose after games like these is “Would Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea have won here?”

You’d have to answer “Yes” to all three. That then begs the question “Why don’t we?”

Being second to the ball and having less possession than a League One side – home or away – is inexcusable and a bit pathetic really.

To add a further insult to supporters on a miserable day we’d read that maybe Benitez is leaving in the summer?

Replacement names in the frame supposedly include Martin O’Neill, Jürgen Klinsmann and the sideshow that is Mourinho?

Our metamorphosis into Newcastle or Spurs seems to continue apace.

Quick Reply