Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Luton vs Liverpool - Match Thread

Read 18998 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,525 posts | 2874 
      Re: Luton vs Liverpool - Match Thread
      Reply #138: Jan 07, 2008 11:02:47 am
      The alarming fact is without Torres or Gerrard we look so ordinary.

I think a lot of credit has to go to Luton yesterday.

If no one buys Luton today, who do we play against?
      streety893
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts | -3 
      • Theres always hope in our hearts
      Reply #139: Jan 07, 2008 11:13:02 am
      A game to forget lets move on

I feel its a waste of time dwelling on it im sure the players wont because in there heart of hearts they know the fans deserve better

Im sure rafa will ring the changes for the replay rest assured

The magic of the FA cup with never die

F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #140: Jan 07, 2008 11:15:02 am
      The alarming fact is without Torres or Gerrard we look so ordinary.

I think a lot of credit has to go to Luton yesterday.

If no one buys Luton today, who do we play against?

But when you look at the Midfield we played, half of them haven't played very much yet, Babel hasn't really settled into the PL yet, and I don't remember who was on the right? Noone on the bench who could come on and change the game in our favour either was a worry.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #141: Jan 07, 2008 12:05:47 pm
      I must admit i was peeved off yesterday with the performance and the result but thats the FA cup for you these teams play there hearts out for the cause and credit to Luton the showed us up big style,i think we will murder them in the replay but that shouldnt really be an issue.I dread to think us playing without Gerrard and Torres for a long period of time if they were both injured we looked lost without them.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,382 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #142: Jan 07, 2008 06:19:29 pm
      most disappointing aspect of the Luton game wasnt being held to a draw wasnt even the sh*te performance it was the watching men in that red jersey not going in full blooded to 50 50 tackles and winning none of them except Carra of course. That for me is the sickner and not good enough for Liverpool. If you dont want to give 100% no matter who your playing well move on. As I said I can excuse not beating someone or even laying so poorly but hate lack of passion for that shirt
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #143: Jan 07, 2008 08:41:53 pm
      Just watching the 'highlights' from yesterdays game now on e-season.

Option of an hour or 12 minutes.

I'm taking the 12 minutes.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #144: Jan 07, 2008 08:49:39 pm
      Just watching the 'highlights' from yesterdays game now on e-season.

Option of an hour or 12 minutes.

I'm taking the 12 minutes.

They could fill 12 minutes? Impressive! ;)
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #145: Jan 07, 2008 08:51:53 pm
      They could fill 12 minutes? Impressive! ;)
      I'd like to see what they could fit in the 1 hour one! Probably just slowed the speed of everything down
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #146: Jan 07, 2008 08:53:24 pm
      There are some games, for me at lealst, best left not watched again...

I still haven't re-watched the 2nd Liverpool v AC Milan CL final of last May. Too painful/frustrating.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #147: Jan 07, 2008 08:54:33 pm
      I'd like to see what they could fit in the 1 hour one! Probably just slowed the speed of everything down

:D:D:D Was just thinking that! ;)

By the way, did anyone think that Ryan Babel deserved the slagging off he got from Andy Gray? I didn't think Babel was too bad, in comparison wth the whole sides performance! He kept showing little hints of that breakaway pace but it wasn't to be! :(

There are some games, for me at lealst, best left not watched again...

I still haven't re-watched the 2nd Liverpool v AC Milan CL final of last May. Too painful/frustrating.

Same here Don, still haven't been able to bring myself to do it! :( Walked home from town that night on me bill, a broken man!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #148: Jan 07, 2008 09:00:06 pm
      :D:D:D Was just thinking that! ;)

By the way, did anyone think that Ryan Babel deserved the slagging off he got from Andy Gray? I didn't think Babel was too bad, in comparison wth the whole sides performance! He kept showing little hints of that breakaway pace but it wasn't to be! :(

Same here Don, still haven't been able to bring myself to do it! :( Walked home from town that night on me bill, a broken man!

There wasn't a dry eye in the house 24 months earlier, not a dry eye in the house 24 months later... the ups and the downs of our love for Liverpool I suppose.

There will not be a dry eye in the house if we sack Rafa, I ...for one, not that any you have noticed ;0) would be totally devastated.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #149: Jan 07, 2008 09:01:59 pm
      The 12 minutes was an extremely positive looking 12 minutes from us to be honest.  Obviously the 12 minutes of our possession - as opposed to their 78 minutes.

F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #150: Jan 07, 2008 09:04:31 pm
      The 12 minutes was an extremely positive looking 12 minutes from us to be honest.  Obviously the 12 minutes of our possession - as opposed to their 78 minutes.

Coming Soon: 30 second highlights of every 50.50 tackle Liverpool won. Including 29 second long titles.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #151: Jan 07, 2008 09:04:47 pm

Funny that their goal came from our possession? ::)

And Voronin should have either buried that shot or passed it. Pretty lucky Crouch was there to pick up the bits!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #152: Jan 07, 2008 09:06:22 pm
      Coming Soon: 30 second highlights of every 50.50 tackle Liverpool won. Including 29 second long titles.

30 seconds... no way... we didn't even win the 80.20 tackles weighted in our favour.

Gutless. Hopefully never to witness such a contrast in passion and sheer bollocks from a LFC side in my lifetime.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #153: Jan 07, 2008 09:07:34 pm
      30 seconds... no way... we didn't even win the 80.20 tackles weighted in our favour.

Gutless. Hopefully never to witness such a contrast in passion and sheer bollocks from a LFC side in my lifetime.
      Exactly, the opening and closing credits take up 29 seconds
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #154: Jan 07, 2008 09:19:46 pm

Don't think we've got that to worry about now!

Luton played so well for a number of reasons. Mainly being shop window football but mostly sheer togetherness for the plight they were in!

If our players haven't got that mentality from this point onwards then they need there heads sorting as it's basically Liverpool vs The World at the minute!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #155: Jan 07, 2008 09:22:52 pm
      If our players haven't got that mentality from this point onwards then they need there heads sorting as it's basically Liverpool vs The World at the minute!

More like Liverpool vs The News of the World ...to be exact.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #156: Jan 07, 2008 09:24:39 pm
      Luton's future remains in doubt

Luton's future remains in doubt after the deadline for prospective buyers expired on Monday with no news on whether a new owner had been found.
      An announcement is not expected to be made until Tuesday at the earliest.

The cash-strapped League One club were put into administration on 22 November, earning them a 10-point deduction.

Manager Kevin Blackwell had hoped the club would be a more attractive prospect after they earned an FA Cup third-round replay against Liverpool.

The Hatters impressed in their 1-1 draw with the Reds at Kenilworth Road with a lucrative replay to come on Tuesday, 15 January.

Blackwell told BBC Radio Five Live: "It was a terrific team performance and it was thoroughly well deserved.

"What we have done is hopefully given a buyer out there a chink of light and made them think that we are worth a gamble on.

"If we've done that then the lads have done all they can to save the football club."

The replay at Anfield will bring in £250,000 as the club fights for its future.

The League One outfit, currently in administration and struggling to pay the wages of their staff, will be forced to sell off their best players should a buyer not be found.

"But you have to live in hope and that hope was given by a fantastic performance by the players," said Blackwell.

"I don't want to lose a side I am starting to build here. That is the frustration.

"Surely anybody looking at that must think Luton's got something going and want to be part of it.

"All we can do is the football but if we can make it as attractive a proposition as we can, it must help a buyer come in and please God, we've done that."

Blackwell said that the worst part of the situation is that the club went into administration without any warning.

"Nobody was prepared for administration, which means no wages and that has caused a few problems because there are a lot of lads here at Luton who don't earn the money that can see off a rainy day for longer than a week or two."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/luton_town/7174227.stm
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #157: Jan 07, 2008 09:28:31 pm
      I'm just adding my opinion, not gonna read the whole thread! I didn't watch the game on TV cos I didn't wanna go to the pub and my boyf (who has Sky Sports) was in work. I'm glad I didn't. Apparently Crouch's goal was "undeserved" and it seems Luton could easily have won! I wondered how Luton equalised until I realised Reina wasn't in goal.
      Obviously Rafa isn't bothered about getting this cup even though winning the League seems even more unlikely!

It's great for Luton, they get £150k of TV money.. although it's unsure about their future now.. I feel sorry for them :(

Ooh my mistake.. £250k.. even better!
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #158: Jan 07, 2008 09:30:32 pm
      I wondered how Luton equalised until I realised Reina wasn't in goal.

I think that is harsh on Itandje, he kept us in the game, not to mention his performance against Chelsea! He is a quality keeper, and more consistent than Dudek.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #159: Jan 07, 2008 09:39:09 pm
      I'm just adding my opinion, not gonna read the whole thread! I didn't watch the game on TV cos I didn't wanna go to the pub and my boyf (who has Sky Sports) was in work. I'm glad I didn't. Apparently Crouch's goal was "undeserved" and it seems Luton could easily have won! I wondered how Luton equalised until I realised Reina wasn't in goal.
      Obviously Rafa isn't bothered about getting this cup even though winning the League seems even more unlikely!

It's great for Luton, they get £150k of TV money.. although it's unsure about their future now.. I feel sorry for them :(

Ooh my mistake.. £250k.. even better!

I'm not sure Rafa isn't bothered about it! Think it's more the fact that he should be able to rest a number of key players without worrying about slipping up against poor opposition! ;) Perhaps he might think again in the replay mind! ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #160: Jan 07, 2008 09:39:48 pm
      I think that is harsh on Itandje, he kept us in the game, not to mention his performance against Chelsea! He is a quality keeper, and more consistent than Dudek.

Dudek still hasn't had a 1st team game for Real Madrid... oh welllll

That Iker Casillas is some keeper... almost as good as Reina... cough.

Quick Reply