Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Hurry: Offer Rafa a new contract

Read 20062 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Hurry: Offer Rafa a new contract
      Reply #184: Feb 16, 2009 02:57:02 am
      The trouble with Rafa was that before this season, he put the CL before the league.

He has seen why the League is important this season, and is going straight for the holy grail.

Can't think why he didn't try to challenge on all fronts last season, though.
      redref
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #185: Feb 16, 2009 10:30:27 am
      I cant believe the attitude of some people on here. Here we have a manager who is one of the best in the world who is starting to make us challengers for the first time in twenty years against teams who spend a great deal more than we have and who generally have a more solid base.

We couldnt compete for Benitiz first two years as we were up against a team who spent 300 in three years.

We have had trouble with competing against the Scum as they have spent on average 40-50 million a season strengthening an already decent team which had Ronaldo, Rooney and Ferdinand already in place.

And since Rafa has been here he has been above Arsenal for every season but one and this is against a manager who has had a youth policy in place for 10 years that had bore some excellent players whilst being in the position to buy the odd decent player. And Arsene has achieved very little in the last 4 years too!

Rafa needs time and 5 years was only a finger in the air guess I reckon by most of the peopl including Coco who expected with minimal investment that Rafa could perform miracles. I know people state that O'Neill is doing so good with a smaller budget but I bet over the last 3-4 years it is comparable with Net expenditure to Beneitiz and he has to perform well in 4 competitions and not just the two that O'Neill is involved in (and this is dealing with expectations of winining all 4 not just doing well in the UEFA cup against much poorer teams and hoping to come fourth in the league).

Of course I havent even mentioned the owners involvement.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #186: Feb 16, 2009 01:14:54 pm
      He has requested new contracts be offered to his backroom staff apparently
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #187: Feb 16, 2009 02:02:49 pm
      Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez hopes to secure a new contract as quickly as possible, although he has admitted it would be the 'perfect ending' to his career to one day take charge at Real Madrid.

The Spaniard has been at the Anfield helm for four and a half years but his current deal expires in 2010 and there continues to be uncertainty about his long-term future, along with several members of his backroom staff.

Benitez does not believe the situation is good for the club and he is looking for negotiations to be brought to a positive conclusion.

"Anyone that has just a year left on his contract does not have anything at all and I have only got a year and a half left," Benitez told The Guardian.

"When people, either within the club or from outside it, realise that the manager only has that much time left then he is dead.

"I've got 10 or 12 assistants whose contracts are up in June. How can a manager lead a project properly if the continuity of his staff is not secure for two or three years?"
      Power

Benitez has also dismissed suggestions that he will only sign a new deal if he is given total control over transfers.

He said: "I would like to clear one thing up - I never asked for complete control.

"I did, however, ask for the power to be able to make my own decisions and run the team the way I see fit. That is not the same thing."

Benitez worked at Real Madrid earlier in his career as a coach of their youth teams and he concedes it would be an honour to return to the Bernabeu at some point.

"I am not thinking about leaving and I hope to be here for a long time but of course Real Madrid would be the perfect ending to anyone's career," he explained.

"But my career is not at an end yet."

What are these americans doing,No contract for Rafa,LFC staff,Agger.

Whats next Gerrard and Torres to be booted out of Anfield.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #188: Feb 16, 2009 02:55:53 pm
      What are these americans doing,No contract for Rafa,LFC staff,Agger.

Well for starters Benitez has been offered two previous contracts which he has refused to sign for whatever reason. Now he's been offered a third which he looks set to sign so to say "no contract for Rafa" is sh*te mate. He's had contracts that he hasn't signed.

Sammy Lee and Gary Ablett are signed up until the end of next year, Pellegrino has an optional extra year if he wants it. So again there's the most important members of the staff who are signed up for some time.

As for Agger, again I'm pretty sure he's been offered a contract but refused to sign because the wages weren't 60k a week. Or maybe it was Agger wanted 60k a week and the owners said piss off. Which I personally think is right, Agger isn't even first choice anymore, so 60k a week is a bit much for a second choice player.

Whats next Gerrard and Torres to be booted out of Anfield.

And that's just a ridiculous thing to say. So much so it doesn't warrant a reason as to why.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #189: Feb 16, 2009 03:02:08 pm
      Its once again poor management from Parry hes let so many contracts just drift away he may well end up being responsible for Rafa walking. Maybe he and Gillette would be happy to see Rafa go. Its usual to start negotiations in the 2nd to last year of a contract if both parties are happy so why haven't the board sorted this out as I understand its not about money.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #190: Feb 16, 2009 03:05:22 pm
      Its once again poor management from Parry hes let so many contracts just drift away he may well end up being responsible for Rafa walking. Maybe he and Gillette would be happy to see Rafa go. Its usual to start negotiations in the 2nd to last year of a contract if both parties are happy so why haven't the board sorted this out as I understand its not about money.

The board did sort it out. Do people honestly forget that Benitez refused to sign a contract earlier in the season? He may of been right in his reason to refuse to sign there and then, but he was offered a contract.

Both parties obviously were happy which is why he was offered earlier contracts and now has been offered a new one.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,597 posts | 1681 
      • YNWA
      Reply #191: Feb 16, 2009 11:20:34 pm
      Hurry? Why? This is the first season of the 5 we've challenged for the title. And this needs to be seen in the context of poor Chelsea and Arsenal form. We're down to two competitions again. Villa are a few points behind and have spent a fraction of what Rafa has. And Utd, who have not been at their best this season look like they will pull away. I really like and admire Rafa and absolutely want him to do well - but I'm not convinced he'll reel in the grail (though I hope he does).
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #192: Feb 17, 2009 12:39:41 am
      Hurry? Why? This is the first season of the 5 we've challenged for the title. And this needs to be seen in the context of poor Chelsea and Arsenal form. We're down to two competitions again. Villa are a few points behind and have spent a fraction of what Rafa has. And Utd, who have not been at their best this season look like they will pull away. I really like and admire Rafa and absolutely want him to do well - but I'm not convinced he'll reel in the grail (though I hope he does).

So you believe that instability is good? Uncertainty is good for a title challenge?

We may not be that far off from a challenge compared to the mid Houllier era but at the end of it we were far off. There's been a slow progression to get us back in a real title challenge under Rafa. Who's to say we can't keep progressing?

Personally I couldn't care less about other teams, so the need to see in the context of other teams not getting points or performing means nothing to me. We can only keep plugging away ourselves and let the others worry about us. And the other so called big teams have no advantage on us so far this season and will be worrying about us - we've taken important points off them.

If Rafa is offered a contract he sees fit for him to continue the progression, then there will be more focus on football by the players and the fans.

Just like Shanks said - everyone working for each other.
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #193: Feb 17, 2009 01:31:07 am

I havent posted much in the recent Rafa-debate threads, but when pure nonsense is put up in front of me, I feel a certain need to reply. Here you can see our net spending during the summer:

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=8206.0

As a help, I can reveal its a total of 21.75 mio.

I cant find who Aston Villa sold in the summer, but I dont seem to remember any great outgoing transfers from them. Going through their team on wikipedia reveals that they bought:

Brad Friedel 2.5, Luke Young 6, Steve Sidwell 5, James Milner 12, Curtis Davies 9, Nicky Shorey est. 3. Total: 37,5 mio.

If you include the january transfer window, we sold Keane at around 16 and they bought Heskey at 3.5. Which gives us at net spending of around 6 mio, while Villa have bought for 41 mio.. Lets say they sold for between 5 and 10 mio. which gives them a net spending of 30-35 mio. So how do you get that Villa have spent a fraction of what we have? Even if you include more transfer windows, I dont think you get your desired "fraction", since players like Reo-Coker, Ashley Young, Stillian Petrov and John Carew didnt come in cheap.

Also, your argument is simply flawed. You say its no achievement to be ahead of Chelsea (allthough they have spent insane amount of money the last years) because they have "bad form". Also it is bad that we are only slightly ahead of Villa because we (in your argument) have spent a lot more than them (and thereby ignore the "form"-thing since Villa are showing really good form, but this was obviously only a valid argument when you talk about Chelsea. In the Villa-case its all a question of money). My point cut short: When you compare us to Chelsea its about form, when you compare us to Villa its about money. To make a valid argument you have to compare us to other teams on equal terms.

Anyway, I didnt want to go off-topic. I havent really made my mind up on wether this contract is deserved, how long it should be and so on, but what seems very clear is that the contract thing annoys Rafa quite a lot, so if that has any chance of making our title challenge more difficult, then we shouldnt take the chance. We've waited 19 years, and it would be too stupid if we lost it on something like that. I say get it signed as fast as possible.

NandoTheLegend
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts |
      Reply #194: Feb 17, 2009 01:36:52 am
      League title = New contract...in my opinion
      kopfan09
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 144 posts |
      Reply #195: Feb 17, 2009 01:42:13 am
      I agree get it sorted and let raffa and the team get on with the football and bring back the tittle
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #196: Feb 17, 2009 01:44:19 am
      New contract first. THEN League title.

Otherwise we go downhill again. Do you really want that?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #197: Feb 17, 2009 01:44:55 am
      Anyone know what his signature is and good at forging? because if so then can that person go and forge it so that he is tied to the club for many more years and we can move on from all this.
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #198: Feb 17, 2009 01:50:06 am

Imagine ending the season one point behind ManU or even on same points, losing it on goal difference.

Wouldnt you sit back with the feeling that maybe it could have been avoided if Rafa had not been irritated about contract negotiations, and an uncertain future? I know you could find many reasons why we (hypothetically) didnt win (f.x. if Keane had scored some more goals, Torres/Gerrard hadnt got injured etc.) but those things are things we cant control. Rafas contract is actually something the club has control over.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #199: Feb 17, 2009 01:50:44 am
      Good point earlier ToTheMax.

When you stack the amount we've paid out and the amount we've sold, Rafa has had very little money compared to Houllier.

And when you compare how far Football budgets have increased AND the fact Rafa has consistently had us earning big Champions League money I think he has been shafted.

Let's look at this money back off Keane? That should be going on top of £40/50 million this summer.  But I bet we're on the scrounge again.  We'll buy one big name and the Yanks will hope we all forget that we sold Keane for big money.

On the site we have a Rafa's transfer page
      http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/stats/transfers.htm

I've got the spending at around £82 million for nearly 5 years.

That is F**k all, and a disgrace for one of the World's biggest football club.  Benitez has operated on a shoe string, and he's done an excellent job on it IMO.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #200: Feb 17, 2009 02:07:06 am
      I'm not going to bang on about money because my opinion on it is plastered all over this forum.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Reply #201: Feb 18, 2009 01:57:07 pm
      Imagine ending the season one point behind ManU or even on same points, losing it on goal difference.

Wouldnt you sit back with the feeling that maybe it could have been avoided if Rafa had not been irritated about contract negotiations, and an uncertain future? I know you could find many reasons why we (hypothetically) didnt win (f.x. if Keane had scored some more goals, Torres/Gerrard hadnt got injured etc.) but those things are things we cant control. Rafas contract is actually something the club has control over.
      That statement is perfectly correct but in the situation that exists now its not the club that exerts control as such its the "representatives" of the club i.e. Hicks&co.,Parry who have their own agenda and wish no doubt to irritate Rafa with it . The only agenda Rafa has in place is one of total commitment to his job so it follows that he wouldn't be willing to take the half measures being laid before him. He can afford to make the people in power sweat because right now Benitez is a vital part of the equation,they know it and we know it .
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #202: Feb 19, 2009 04:47:44 pm
      Hmmmm.

It's Friday tomorrow and still not a peep?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #203: Feb 19, 2009 05:51:54 pm
      Hmmmm.

It's Friday tomorrow and still not a peep?

Rick Parry's going to set up this little table in the centre circle.

He'll invite Rafa on to the pitch.

Give him a pen and the contract.

And then do a spot of magic for the crowd.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #204: Feb 19, 2009 06:06:37 pm
      Rick Parry's going to set up this little table in the centre circle.

He'll invite Rafa on to the pitch.

Give him a pen and the contract.

And then do a spot of magic for the crowd.

And make the contract disappear!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Reply #205: Feb 19, 2009 06:11:17 pm
      The only stunt that will placate any onlookers will be that of Parry disappearing up his own arsehole.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #206: Feb 19, 2009 06:14:09 pm
      The only stunt that will placate any onlookers will be that of Parry disappearing up his own arsehole.

No can do.

He's already disappeared up Gillett's.

Quick Reply