Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Consider bringing Phil Tommo back?

Read 3433 times
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Re: Consider bringing Phil Tommo back?
      Reply #23: Jan 16, 2008 11:07:35 am
      I'd love to see Tommo back, he's just what they need, a supporter, mentor, and a Red through and through  ;)

Totally and utterly agree, Rafa could do no worse than have him as his number 2 when GH did that we actually got a 2nd spot in the EPL. Thing with Tommo is he has passion through and through but also has the knowledge of the game to back up his ideas.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #24: Jan 16, 2008 11:12:09 am
      Yeah let's get Phil Thompson back who not only didn't help us to a title but didn't help us to two European Cup finals either.

Who else should we get back? Souness?

Your being a little harsh their mate. Tommo has passion and he wasnt the one making the last ditch decsions it was GH. Correct me if Im wrong but the buck stops with him if you look at it in a pessimistic way.
      StevieGforce
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #25: Jan 16, 2008 11:29:24 am
      If, by Neanderthal, you mean he comes from a part of Liverpool's history when they were conquering not only this country but Europe as well, then i say get me club and lets live in caves.

The man is first and foremost a red, anyone who watches him on sky can see that. He is ignorant of other views which are disparaging to Liverpool FC, and he likes getting up peoples noses.

It would do no harm at all in my opinion to have an old school red on the books who understands what it means to players and supporters to play for LFC.

All that said, it wont happen with tommo, i think he would clash with rafa.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #26: Jan 16, 2008 01:11:24 pm
      Rafa does need help in reading and managing games when they are in progress - I remember Pako writing notes like a mad man during games and then exchanging comments ...and reacting... they did this for 10 winning years.

I'm not sure anybody is doing that with him now... Alex Miller perhaps?

Either way, it's as obvious as daylight sometimes that we need to change something during the run of play... and Rafa (since Pako left) leaves changes or shake-ups...very, very late in games doesn't he?

Could Thommo do that job? Maybe... but I would still have Sammy - who speaks some spanish - and would have a lot more chemistry with the rest of Rafa's back-room hombres... as well as with Rafa himself, who loves the humble, quiet sort of colleague/subordinate.

Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #27: Jan 16, 2008 01:33:01 pm
      Yeah I agree. I reckon Sammy would be a better fit for Rafa. Rafa's calm and collected, Thommo is loud and in your face. Both styles work in their own right, but they are not compatible together.
      « Last Edit: Jan 16, 2008 01:35:10 pm by Podge »
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #28: Jan 16, 2008 03:22:30 pm
      Yeah I agree. I reckon Sammy would be a better fit for Rafa. Rafa's calm and collected, Thommo is loud and in your face. Both styles work in their own right, but they are not compatible together.

I personally feel that players like Pepe, Arbeloa, StevieG, Torres and Babel don't like or appreciate hair dryers and prefer calm and collected criticism or encouragement when/if it is needed and not for the sake of it... so it's horses for courses and this one track needs a Tommo-like character like a pain in the neck right now.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #29: Jan 17, 2008 12:34:47 am
      We just need someone who knows the club well to father the players out there! I duno who though? Sammy Lee? Kenny Daglish? Who?

Quick Reply