Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Gillett bigs up Anfield

Read 1338 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Gillett bigs up Anfield
      May 03, 2007 11:39:03 pm
      From the offal - new Chairman Gillett reckons Anfield is the World's number one sporting venue... (I'm not going to disagree)

"What can I say after Tuesday night? It was magical," said Gillett.
      "It was like attending the greatest sports event you ever go to on steroids. Nothing can compare to it.

"I couldn't have imagined when we bought the club the kinds of experiences we've already had. David Moores told me I had to understand what it was like and I would nod and say, 'Yes, we understand'.

"Really, neither I, Foster or the Hicks family could say we did. This is so much bigger and so much more important to so many people than we could ever have imagined.

"We walked around town on Tuesday to see some of the sights. There was a lot of singing going on, and I know this may shock a few people, but there was quite a lot of beer drinking. And I'm sure there was a lot after the game, too!"

Gillett again spoke of his desire to one day sit on The Kop – whether in its current form or in its new incarnation as the centerpiece of the club's new stadium.

"I wish I had been on The Kop on Tuesday, but I was concerned it would be a distraction. We've acknowledged the importance of The Kop already since we arrived and it's clear why the new stadium must be designed around it.

"We'll try to have as many seats in there as there used to be when it was originally a standing area. That's our ambition.

"That was once 24,000. We may not be able to get that many, but we'll certainly go beyond the 12,000 we have now."

On the subject of The Kop and its inhabitants, Gillett also made public his concern about ticket allocations for Athens.

He said: "What's on our minds more than anything now is the fans. This is all about them. I'm really interested in the statistics for the tickets to the finals.

"UEFA has taken over 20,000 tickets already, so it's going to be very difficult for everyone to get tickets.

"We have huge support and I'm really sorry for those fans who follow the club everywhere and won't be able to get tickets. It's a huge challenge for the organisers but a very difficult situation.

"Our aim now is to go on and win the Champions League, but there's one thing we can be absolutely certain of: the players and the fans will never quit.

"They'll give their all to win. They have a spirit unique to the north west of England, which you see on the pitch in Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard.

"I saw the banner on The Kop before the game which read, 'Not English but Scouse'. It sums it up.

"When you have that heart in the team and combine this with the energy and ability of those around them, it's quite a combination.

"I could not believe the passion of Dirk Kuyt on the pitch. He never stopped running and it was amazing to see."
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Re: Gillett bigs up Anfield
      Reply #1: May 04, 2007 10:51:12 am
      Read it on the site, brill isn't it :D

Not English but Scouse - Best flag EVER. Perfect for me hehe.
      gibbo6 times
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #2: May 04, 2007 02:06:05 pm
      read it on the lfc site earlier.
      I think these 2 guys are going to lead us to the top of not just the champions league but also the premier league.
      Think we will be champions of prem within two years
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #3: May 04, 2007 03:49:09 pm
      The more I hear from this guy, the more I like him. I think it's pretty obvious by now that Gillett's the main man out of the two, with Hicks being barely more than a financial backer. I'm happier with this because I'd heard a few bad things about Hicks, but everything I'd heard about Gillett was good, this info coming from NFL followers. Gillett seems to have big plans for the club, i.e the fact he wanted a bigger stadium, and day on day I'm getting more confident he's the right man for us.
      Stu503
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #4: May 04, 2007 06:35:39 pm
      I agree that the new owners :gunhappyyank: are coming across really well so far, saying and doing the right things and trying to bond with supporters.
      I do think that judgement should be reserved till at least after the summer though.  Lets face it, these guys are businessmen and it's their job to say the right things and use their skills to get people on their side.  It's all looking good so far and long may it continue but it's very early days. 
      Rushie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 255 posts | -3 
      Reply #5: May 04, 2007 08:42:54 pm
      Yep - I think we all knew Hicks was just more financial backing.  Gillett's the top guy.  They certainly know the score and have an element of 'Scouse' humour from what I have heard already!

I just worry if the pair of them ever fall out.....
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #6: May 05, 2007 10:56:24 am
      Lets hope they can get us a few players that we need to topple Utd and Chelsea and bring the premiership to Anfield.

Kelv, take your bloody caps lock off when posting, I'm not editing all your posts for you.
      « Last Edit: May 05, 2007 12:05:26 pm by EddieC »
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #7: Jan 13, 2008 11:56:26 am
      The more I hear from this guy, the more I like him. I think it's pretty obvious by now that Gillett's the main man out of the two, with Hicks being barely more than a financial backer. I'm happier with this because I'd heard a few bad things about Hicks, but everything I'd heard about Gillett was good, this info coming from NFL followers. Gillett seems to have big plans for the club, I.e the fact he wanted a bigger stadium, and day on day I'm getting more confident he's the right man for us.

Eddie, how right you were... if we could drop Parry and Hicks and find a real backer that would perfect.

DIC+Gillett (who is truly passionate about LFC) would be the team to take this forward, but I can't see DIC getting into bed with a Yank... they are their own men.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #8: Jan 23, 2008 02:15:26 pm
      I like George Gillett, I think he's a passionate man but unfortunaltley he made a big mistake in brining in Tom Hicks. You can learn from mistakes but this seems too much of a big mistake to get over from, mistakes like this can't be made and we need DIC to come to the rescue!

Quick Reply