Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Defoe told he can leave.

Read 1966 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Defoe told he can leave.
      Jan 08, 2008 10:31:44 am
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7176324.stm

Another striker to add to the list. I'm not sure about him.

Thoughts?
      AggerDoo
      Re: Defoe told he can leave.
      Reply #1: Jan 08, 2008 04:38:29 pm
      Good finisher. And does his contract expire at end of the season. Free Transfer got to be worth it.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #2: Jan 08, 2008 05:10:27 pm
      If the free's available, he's a damn improvement on Voronin. Definate on the free, but if we have money I'd look elsewhere.
      og92
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts | -3 
      Reply #3: Jan 08, 2008 05:43:42 pm
      I think we've got to snap up Defoe! He is quick, slick and a good finisher! Also he's english and he knows the Premiership welll. He wont be too expensive if we bought him in this window and i feel he would compliment Torres very very well. All he needs is consistant 1st team football, and he'll become a very goo player, also he's pretty young and it could help his England team chances aswell! So not only good for just us.. but for England national team!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #4: Jan 08, 2008 06:05:41 pm
      Don't really give a sh*t what he could do for England, just what he could do for us.

I haven't seen a lot of Defoe lately TBH, one thing that does bother me though is that I know quite a few Spurs fans & they all say they'd bite anyone's hand off if they offered to buy him. These are guys that know their stuff, and quite frankly they see a lot more of him than we do.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #5: Jan 08, 2008 06:30:59 pm
      I'd take Keane or Berbatov ahead of him - but then I would imagine the Spurs fans would too.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #6: Jan 08, 2008 06:57:02 pm
      Don't really give a sh*t what he could do for England, just what he could do for us.

I haven't seen a lot of Defoe lately TBH, one thing that does bother me though is that I know quite a few Spurs fans & they all say they'd bite anyone's hand off if they offered to buy him. These are guys that know their stuff, and quite frankly they see a lot more of him than we do.

I think most spurs fans have some strange and weird obssession with keane and berbatov so that doesnt suprise me.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #7: Jan 08, 2008 07:01:49 pm
      I think most spurs fans have some strange and weird obssession with keane and berbatov so that doesnt suprise me.

Like I said these are guys that have got a bit of sense about them, they agree Robinson isn't good enough for England unlike most deluded Spurs fans. They also agree that Berbatov isn't worth the money being quoted, but they would happily let Defoe go for next to nothing.

You don't always get to see the full picture unless you watch a team week in week out, I know plenty of people who think Sissoko & Voronin are quality players for us! Maybe they see something that we don't from the outside?
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #8: Jan 08, 2008 07:06:29 pm
      people who think momo is good for us watch highlights. I know what you mean but there is no doubting defoe has quality, maybe its to do with defoes attitude he seems to kick off when he is substituted and looks annoyed when on the bench but whos suprised at that he is on the bench alll the time and hes a great talent. Alot of spurs fans also see him as a greedy player but he isn't really, he has a few shots from distance much like babel does but in his defence I am yet to see any other striker hit dipping shots with power like he does he shoots like a centre mid and scores some great goals. One rather comic thing is imagine him and mascherano meeting for the first time both in liverpool shirts after defoe appeared to have bit him in a match between spurs and west ham  :laugh:
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2008 07:08:50 pm by lil cisse »
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #9: Jan 08, 2008 07:09:29 pm
      people who think momo is good for us watch highlights.

TBH that's all I've ever really seen of Defoe though, if you've seen more of him then fair enough, but I think the majority of us, myself included, are relying on highlights to form an opinion of him. To me the opinion of someone who's seen him regularly holds a little more weight, and pretty much the same as I'm always telling people 'You wouldn't think that if you saw Momo play week in week out' these guys say the same about Defoe.
      iqships1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #10: Jan 08, 2008 08:01:17 pm

to be honest have never really rated him, why do you think he has been on the bench for the last two season???
       does anybody know what his goals per game ratio  in the prem is - not that good I would suspect
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2008 08:03:21 pm by iqships1 »
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #11: Jan 08, 2008 11:17:05 pm
      There is one thing if I can remember correctly he had a very good start with West Ham and then his performance start to get very patchy.  He then joined Tottenham and he had an excellent first season then his games and goals were drying up.  So if we're looking for a short-term player then maybe he is the answer. 
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #12: Jan 09, 2008 03:34:18 am
      I really dont rate him as a striker he seems to run and run and gets nowhere and takes a few chances to score, but that is my personal opinion. Anyways his scroing record isnt too bad;

West Ham 93 games-29 goals
      Bournemouth 29 games-18 goals
      Tottenham 137 games 43 goals

259 Pro games-90 goals
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #13: Jan 09, 2008 07:52:09 am
      I think we've got to snap up Defoe! He is quick, slick and a good finisher! Also he's english and he knows the Premiership welll. He wont be too expensive if we bought him in this window and I feel he would compliment Torres very very well. All he needs is consistant 1st team football, and he'll become a very goo player, also he's pretty young and it could help his England team chances aswell! So not only good for just us.. but for England national team!

I like Dofoe, he has good and quick feet, can head a ball very well for a small man, very clever football brain.
      When he joined Tottenham, he was one of the best, but something has not gone right for him there, and its hard to say why.

He is a lot better than Kuyt and a big improvement on Voronin, so if we can get him in this window for the right price.

Deofoe needs a club and manager to bring the best out, we could be that club.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #14: Jan 09, 2008 10:42:27 am
      I really think that Voronin was one of the worst signings for Liverpool in the last 2-3 years. He should go, in comes Defoe.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #15: Jan 09, 2008 01:32:54 pm
      I really dont rate him as a striker he seems to run and run and gets nowhere and takes a few chances to score, but that is my personal opinion. Anyways his scroing record isnt too bad;

West Ham 93 games-29 goals
      Bournemouth 29 games-18 goals
      Tottenham 137 games 43 goals

259 Pro games-90 goals

Take out his Bournemouth record, his record with Premiership clubs is 72 goals in 230 games, an average of 0.31 goals per game. Since arriving at Liverpool Kuyt has scored 20 goals in 71 games, an average of 0.28 goals per game. This is hardly a massive difference yet Kuyt apparently can't hit a cows arse with a banjo but Defoe is the answer to our problems?

Doesn't make sense to me.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #16: Jan 09, 2008 03:04:05 pm
      If we are to get him, i think a free in the summer is a much less risky and a better option.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #17: Jan 09, 2008 04:44:20 pm
      No money paid, just get one free (Voronin) out and bring another in. There's really no loss except wages, and Defoe isn't going to want much, and a club like Liverpool can easily take the risk with such a big wage budget.
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #18: Jan 09, 2008 06:04:42 pm
      i think all the talk of him signing on a free are a bit premature, the way i read it he's still got 18 months left on his contract at spurs.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #19: Jan 22, 2008 02:54:32 am
      Screw him, anyone see his new hair do?? ffs makes Cisse look like a gentleman
      neolfc
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #20: Jan 22, 2008 08:54:58 pm
      welll maybe thats what we need some new hairdo's put everyone else off the game
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #21: Jan 23, 2008 08:14:00 am
      Didnt help Cisse.

Quick Reply