Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Liverpool fans boycott a fixture at Anfield? (You must be logged in to vote)

Yes
      (37.5%)
      No
      (62.5%)

Vote: An Anfield Boycott?

Read 2867 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Vote: An Anfield Boycott?
      Jan 24, 2008 12:14:23 am
      Okay - so we may sing You'll Never Walk Alone

but what about letting them do that for just one game?

It's a bit revolutionary, not the Liverpool way but surely these are desperate times?

A boycott of an Anfield game to try and force out the owners of the club.

I appreciate a season ticket is already paid for but a FA Cup game.  To be honest I feel this weekends game would have been perfect for it.

So - should we do it - and would it help force their hand - or would we ultimately be hurting ourselves?
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Vote: An Anfield Boycott?
      Reply #1: Jan 24, 2008 12:22:05 am
      I would say so.  Just not this Saturday.

What can they honestly do.  Keep every fan out from watching the Reds at Anfield for protesting?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Jan 24, 2008 12:25:42 am
      No. Hurting ourselves.

Would be better to not allow the building of the new stadium if we are talking desperate...That's where they see 'their' money coming from. The players need our support.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #3: Jan 24, 2008 12:33:00 am
      Not for me. You'll Never Walk Alone means exactly that I'm afraid. Rafa and the boys need all the support they can get at the moment. We support them not the owners so how will the boys feel if they walk out into a half empty stadium? Havant & Waterlooville have dreamt about a day like this since childhood so that wouldn't be fair to them either!
      There must be another way to give the Yanks the 2 finger salute. I'm sure it shouldn't happen when a match is on (although I agree with the impact it could have). I'm not so sure how else we could protest apart from barricading the stadium so the muppets can't ever get into it again! 
      CapnEvil
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #4: Jan 24, 2008 12:39:43 am
      I am over in Canada and I am actually going to a Montreal Canadiens game in the coming weeks.  I was thinking of wearing my Liverpool jersey and holding a sign with a message to George Gillett Jr.  Just wondering what I should put on it.  Any ideas?  Hopefully he gets the message when it appears 3200 miles across the pond.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #5: Jan 24, 2008 12:44:21 am
      I am over in Canada and I am actually going to a Montreal Canadiens game in the coming weeks.  I was thinking of wearing my Liverpool jersey and holding a sign with a message to George Gillett Jr.  Just wondering what I should put on it.  Any ideas?  Hopefully he gets the message when it appears 3200 miles across the pond.

Gillett... The worst a club can get!
      connerwe
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #6: Jan 24, 2008 04:03:37 am
      Take a deep breath, sit back, think about the situation, the cyclical way football works, and rethink what the hell you are trying to propose here. Much better ways of making a point than this. Think of how disappointing it would be to the players alone.

Cheers

YNWA
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #7: Jan 24, 2008 06:56:11 am
      Rafa and the boys need the fans support, they haven't done anything wrong.
      What dont those idiot yanks understand?? WE DONT WANT THEM ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      This club is about the fans, they dont care about anything that this club stands for....ive had enough of them.
      There must be something else that can be done....
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Jan 24, 2008 07:20:00 am
      I would say NO to a boycott, more so this weekend,we need to win this cup tie and progress all the way to Wembley. To do that we need to get in behind RAFA and the team as they need our support.WE must not lose the fact it is Hicks,Gillett,Parry we are pi**ed off with and not the team.
      Lotuskid
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #9: Jan 24, 2008 08:13:03 am
      I'd suggest boycotting the club shop instead. I'll pay up and go support the team and Rafa, but i'm not buying any merchandise to line the yanks pockets. Even more so if they're planning on using my clubs profits to spend on thier pussy american sports when they cant find any money for signing Masco.

Time to hit the yanks in the pocket where it'll really hurt.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Jan 24, 2008 08:17:27 am
      I'd suggest boycotting the club shop instead. I'll pay up and go support the team and Rafa, but I'm not buying any merchandise to line the yanks pockets. Even more so if they're planning on using my clubs profits to spend on thier pussy american sports when they cant find any money for signing Masco.

Think you are right ,there is a lot of profits made in the merchandise,
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #11: Jan 24, 2008 08:21:04 am
      To be honest I dont think boycotting anything is the answer. I think our Canadian friend is onto to something, it would more advantageous if a group of us got together in Liverpool shirts, flew over to North America and followed both Gillet and Hicks around for about a week no matter where they go. It would take a bit of organising and clearing with local law enforcement. But seeing as its the land of the free and they like that sort of thing, a few red shirts with placards outside their normal residences might scare them shitless to the fact that we have the testicular fortitude to travel all that way to get our point across. Dunno what you guys think but I would be up for that most definately. And dont forget the more people that go the less it will actually cost each individual.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #12: Jan 24, 2008 08:42:47 am
      My answer is reluctantly yes, we have to do something to support Rafa and equally to show our disgust of the present owners!!! drastic times call for drastic measures!!!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #13: Jan 24, 2008 08:49:03 am
      I'd suggest boycotting the club shop instead. I'll pay up and go support the team and Rafa, but I'm not buying any merchandise to line the yanks pockets. Even more so if they're planning on using my clubs profits to spend on thier pussy american sports when they cant find any money for signing Masco.

Agree with you mate, but it has to be both the club shops, the one in the city centre as well.  And don't forget, LFC merchandise is sold through many outlets and channels, ie. catalogues, sports shops, supermarkets, on-line, so what it needs is for fans not to buy anything at all from anywhere !! 
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #14: Jan 24, 2008 09:00:14 am
      To be honest I dont think boycotting anything is the answer. I think our Canadian friend is onto to something, it would more advantageous if a group of us got together in Liverpool shirts, flew over to North America and followed both Gillet and Hicks around for about a week no matter where they go. It would take a bit of organising and clearing with local law enforcement. But seeing as its the land of the free and they like that sort of thing, a few red shirts with placards outside their normal residences might scare them shitless to the fact that we have the testicular fortitude to travel all that way to get our point across. Dunno what you guys think but I would be up for that most definately. And dont forget the more people that go the less it will actually cost each individual.
      We're talking America here!!??  I think you would have to take some serious legal advise before embarking on such a venture!  Various groups/ students over the years have undertook such protests and come to a sticky end, and at best slung in the jug for a week. I wouldn't fancy being some"big dudes bi*ch" Remember if a group did go over to American protesting I'd wager that you'd be ejected from their shores as at best, as undesirable aliens!! The land of the free, I think not!! and God help you if you cost Messrs Hick & Gillette any money at all, you'd find a fat cluster of writs jammed up your rear end, faster than you could blink. Big business in America f**k ordinary folk, not get fu**ed by them.  Nice idea though!
      « Last Edit: Jan 24, 2008 12:51:03 pm by neilh2105 »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #15: Jan 24, 2008 09:58:40 am
      No.....I don't think boycotting Anfield would help Rafa or the players at the moment.....They need to know we are all behind them when they need us most.

I agree with boycotting merchandise though.....but it would need to be done over a period of time....say 3 months, to really hit them really hard.

What a bloody awful situation to be in........I hate all this :( Why is this happening to our great club.....I'm very  >:(
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #16: Jan 24, 2008 10:05:44 am
      No we need to get behind the side im getting fairly fed up with all this yanks out protests and stuff,fair enough if they were actually at the game but they arent so whats the point?We need to forget about of the field events and get behind the team for the rest of the season,as long as the players know they have our support thats all that matters as far as im concerned.
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #17: Jan 24, 2008 10:54:45 am
      I think we should do it, we could certainly give the owners a taste of how we really feel about the running of our football club.

I think we should do it, but i would only do it for a low key league game, as we are already pretty much out of the title race!

YNWA - RTK

Matt
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #18: Jan 24, 2008 11:12:30 am
      Personally I think it would be a good idea.
      Let the 2 idiots realize what they are doing to this club.

BUT

I hold a season ticket, and I'm in the auto ticket scheme for the cup matches.
      So, I would be losing out big time.

It'll be very easy for people to vote on this, esp. if they weren't going to that match - then they'd be missing out on nothing, and it not costing them anything.

I'd say boycott the merchandise side of the club.
      Souvenir shop, programmes, food inlets inside the ground.

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #19: Jan 24, 2008 12:12:09 pm
      I think it's an excellent idea - but the start of something more sinister probably - like a small (disgruntled) fans owned spin-off club...

If these lying bas**rds stay, why would the good people of Liverpool want to spend their hard earnt money making the lying bas**rds even richer?

I think many will not be able to stomach it... and go for an alternative "continuation" of the club at a lower level... a la FCUM or AFC Wimbledon.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #20: Jan 24, 2008 12:51:08 pm
      To have a boycott is a last resort and that may be 6mth or later down the line and what if he gets it right(don't believe he will though).Deadly Doug said this morning that Hicks put in a bid for Villa of 20mill or more above Randy Learner but he never took it because he had Villa's best interest at heart and he new he would lay the dept on the club(Hicks is very American like that)and would you believe it he's going to do the same at Anfield and once he has got Moores of the board I think our club will end up owing the total dept.

I ventured into Hick's territory today and in the Fortworth star some guy wrote a piece on L'pool and Hick's the journo says the ''L'pool Tabloids have created a feeding frenzy designed for Hick's to take the blame for the club being in 5th place''(idiot).He go's on to say that the manager has threatened to walk out often in the last 2 and half years(where does he get his information(Mr Hick's perhaps)and that was why he spoke to klinsmann also L'pool fans are hoping that dic were waiting in the wings of which Hick's says none of it is true and it will all be sorted out on Thursday so I suppose that means he's got the funding to go ahead with his plans of which in part LFC will be in dept to the tune of 100 to 120mill by Thur.afternoon.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: Jan 24, 2008 01:10:15 pm
      No chance. Cant we have abit of class? The boys did nothing wrong and deserve our support.

Nothing from here on in will force them out, they dont care if it turns in to a man hunt. As long as they are making money then they will be here and dont give a flying F**k about what we say about them. They are greedy American bas**rds who have no self respect and would shoot their own mother to make 1 a million pop.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #22: Jan 24, 2008 02:12:48 pm

Thats a great idea, getting protests into every sporting event associated with teams owned by Gillette and Hicks! Might I suggest "You Lied! Liverpool football club is in the wrong hands" on your sign.

Back to the original question, I think a boycott is a negative way to protest and we wouldn't gain anything from it. I think being inside the ground and singing constantly against the Yanks and supporting the team is the way to go. Make it as hostile as possible for the two faced B'stards!

Quick Reply