Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Arsenal reject Reds Walcott loan bid

Read 3486 times
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Arsenal reject Reds Walcott loan bid
      Jan 25, 2008 10:53:42 am
      Arsenal have rejected an audacious attempt by Liverpool to take Theo Walcott on loan for the rest of the season. The 18-year-old has attracted interest from several Barclays Premier League clubs, with Sven-Göran Eriksson still hopeful of luring him to Manchester City, but the fact that Rafael BenÍtez was willing to place his faith in a player of such limited experience as he attempts to rescue Liverpool’s faltering season will come as a surprise.

BenÍtez has admired Walcott for some time and was one of many managers scrambling for his signature when he left Southampton two years ago, only to balk at his £12 million fee. The Spaniard had hoped to use him on the right wing for the remainder of the season, but Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, is adamant that he will not be allowed out on loan.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article3248323.ece

If we got him what would you think, I think he's great going forward but on the wing?

He is defensively unsound but the pace would make up for it.
      « Last Edit: Jan 25, 2008 05:43:32 pm by JD »
      Hysén007
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Re: Theo Walcott (Arsenal)
      Reply #1: Jan 25, 2008 11:01:55 am
      All we need is speed..... and he got it for shure.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #2: Jan 25, 2008 11:05:05 am
      All we need is speed..... and he got it for shure.

yeah but has he the footballing brain, he is more of a natural striker with pace and finishing. it would be nice to have some real pace and acceleration in the team
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #3: Jan 25, 2008 11:05:54 am
      If Wenger's willing to let him go then I dont want him....
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #4: Jan 25, 2008 01:45:11 pm
      Do you really think we would convince Wenger to let go one of his best youngest players that is undoubtedly in his long term plans?

Wake up lads.  It's called speculation.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #5: Jan 25, 2008 02:28:45 pm
      If Wenger's willing to let him go then I dont want him....

Agree. Enough said.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Jan 25, 2008 02:40:40 pm
      I dont think he is a winger anyways. We would only be helping them in taking him under our wing also.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #7: Jan 25, 2008 04:20:39 pm
      I prefer Babel to be honest. Theo is talented and is a liverpool fan too hehe but i don;t think we need him. We would end up making him better keeping him fit and giving him more playing time then he would be pulled back to arsenal because theres no way they would sell to us.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #8: Jan 25, 2008 04:26:52 pm
      Then why has Rafa gone after him on loan, we have hardly any injuries to wingers, surely it shows he is desperate?
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #9: Jan 25, 2008 05:42:55 pm
      No he would add to our squad hes a good player. Isn't desperate.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Arsenal reject Reds Walcott loan bid
      Reply #10: Jan 25, 2008 05:43:54 pm
      Hardly the biggest vote of confidence in Kuyt and Crouch is it?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #11: Jan 25, 2008 05:56:27 pm
      Hardly the biggest vote of confidence in Kuyt and Crouch is it?

Kuyt - 4 goals in the Champions League, 3 league Goals (2 pens)

Voronin - 1 goal in the Champions League, 3 league goals

Doesn't exactly give you loads of confidence does it ??
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #12: Jan 25, 2008 06:07:49 pm
      We dont need Walcott Rafa needs to unleash Babel more often start him up front see how he does.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #13: Jan 25, 2008 07:10:12 pm
       Arsenal simply don't want to lose their one of the last English players!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #14: Jan 25, 2008 07:30:40 pm
      I would liked him to come, but to be honest there was not a hope in hell that would happen. Would his heart be in it? Is he CL, FA Cup eligable?
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #15: Jan 25, 2008 07:34:14 pm
      Will Arsene change his mind if you like Walcott.
      As I remember he has already played in Cl and even scored.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #16: Jan 26, 2008 01:23:01 am
      Could potentially be a brilliant partner for Torres, both ligtning quick and like to play through the middle. Babel, Torres and Walcott up front now that would be hitting the oppositions defence with pace.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #17: Jan 26, 2008 01:36:08 am
      Do you really think we would convince Wenger to let go one of his best youngest players that is undoubtedly in his long term plans?

Wake up lads.  It's called speculation.

Nah, I think Walcott is the next Pennant. Over hyped as a teenager, turns out to be not good enough for big clubs but too good for small clubs...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #18: Jan 26, 2008 09:00:04 am
      Babel said himself in an interview he talked with Rafa and is happy being played on the wing and learning his trade there while he is young. He will be shifted up front next season IMO as he gets a feel for the game on the wing. Walcott isnt legible for CL or FA Cup but probably a way of helping the side in the Prem. Dont need him, rather loan in another experienced campaigner since no permanent transfers will be made.
      Hysén007
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #19: Jan 26, 2008 09:25:09 am
      Must be better to loan a player that could be in all 3 comps? But who will he really replace???
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #20: Jan 26, 2008 09:47:46 am
      Has there actually been anything from either club confirming this approach? As far as I'm aware all Arsenal have said is that he won't be going anywhere on loan, probably another case of the media having a spare column to fill & spouting sh*te as usual.
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #21: Jan 26, 2008 09:48:49 am
      I prefer Babel to be honest. Theo is talented and is a liverpool fan too hehe but I don;t think we need him. We would end up making him better keeping him fit and giving him more playing time then he would be pulled back to arsenal because theres no way they would sell to us.

Babel is bigger, faster and at least has scored premiership, Fa Cup and Champions League goals.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #22: Jan 26, 2008 09:51:25 am
      I would liked him to come, but to be honest there was not a hope in hell that would happen. Would his heart be in it? Is he CL, FA Cup eligable?

I think his heart would be in it hes a liverpool fan.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #23: Jan 26, 2008 06:41:36 pm
      At the same age . . .
      Theo Walcott is 18 years and 313 days old . He has 76 first-team appearances, 9 first-team goals 1 international cap, 0 international goals and 1 BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year award.

At the same age Michael Owen had made 57 first-team appearances, scored 29 first-team goals, had 12 international caps, 4 international goals and 1 PFA Young Player of the Year award.

Wayne Rooney had made 41 first-team appearances, scored 10 first-team goals, had 7 caps, 2 international goals and 1 BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year award. He won the PFA Young Player of the Year in 2005 (aged 19).

Theo is talented and is a liverpool fan too
      Where do you know he is a Liverpool fan. I have never heard about it!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #24: Jan 26, 2008 06:44:58 pm
      All pace no brains. Dont need him, we need boys that can finish.

David Villa is the lad we need in a red shirt...
      Hysén007
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #25: Jan 27, 2008 10:08:56 am
      I really like to see Villa in a red shirt to. :)
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #26: Jan 27, 2008 10:12:07 am

Yeh, like Kuyt and Voronin. Although in all seriousness David Villa should be a big priority for us.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #27: Jan 27, 2008 11:18:51 am
      Yeh, like Kuyt and Voronin. Although in all seriousness David Villa should be a big priority for us.

Agreed re Villa would be simply magnificent alongside The Kids - and as I have said before - Dirk and Voro need to go through the Rafa revolving club door - a la Morientes, Josemi, Nuñez, etc - he has made a mistake, but should quickly fix it... at least Voro was a free.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #28: Jan 27, 2008 01:24:01 pm
      At the same age . . .
      Theo Walcott is 18 years and 313 days old . He has 76 first-team appearances, 9 first-team goals 1 international cap, 0 international goals and 1 BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year award.

At the same age Michael Owen had made 57 first-team appearances, scored 29 first-team goals, had 12 international caps, 4 international goals and 1 PFA Young Player of the Year award.

Wayne Rooney had made 41 first-team appearances, scored 10 first-team goals, had 7 caps, 2 international goals and 1 BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year award. He won the PFA Young Player of the Year in 2005 (aged 19).

;D i thought everyone knew that.

Walcott and his father are both Liverpool FC fans. Walcott has never hidden the fact that he's a massive Liverpool supporter and even when Chelsea laid out the red carpet for him as a youngster, he used the opportunity to meet his real idols: "I was playing in a tournament for Swindon when Southampton and Chelsea showed an interest," recalls Walcott. "Chelsea invited me to be a ball-boy for a game against Liverpool and it was fantastic to meet my heroes Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler."

"I was a Liverpool fan simply because my dad followed them. Unfortunately I wasn't born when the team had their golden era, but I enjoyed watching the likes of Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman when I was growing up. When Liverpool won the Champions League last year, I went mad. I was shouting so loud I think I woke up the entire village where I live!"
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #29: Jan 27, 2008 01:30:46 pm

Fair enough you want david villa but that isnt a fair assessment of Walcott.
      He is a great player, and isnt just all pace just look at yesterdays game with Newcastle. As much as people like to think arsenal is the perfect place to go as a youngster but it isnt as great as its hyped up to be. Fair enough Wenger is good at developing progressionbut if your not playing perfect he seems to give up on them, Theo is a great player and will be successful.

He is very successful and he is still very young, the first game he was played upfront instead of on the wing he got two goals. he isnt just kick and run atall he just needs patience as does Ryan Babel and he isnt complaining about playing on the wing so he is very willing to learn in order to progress, if he had a run of 5 or 6 great matches then people would be saying hes great.
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #30: Jan 27, 2008 01:54:47 pm
      At the same age . . .

You will note that the BBC gave Walcott the Sports Personality award.........funny that. Or maybe not. He fits their bill.

Quick Reply