Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Players letting Benitez down

Read 7404 times
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Re: Players letting Benitez down
      Reply #23: Jan 26, 2008 10:21:26 pm
      pennant was one of our most consisent players 2nd half of last season and started this season in fantastic form until he broke his leg which he also played a few games with he is still finding match fitness but i thought he had a good game today.

I think he gives us a really good option on the wing he may not score as often as we like but he hugs the touchline and stays wide which is something we have been lacking or so we keep hearing about width his crosses can blow hot n cold but how many times have we seen a cross go in and only 1 or 2 players to aim at  thats not his fault i also noticed his running back and defending a bit as well today whixh is also good to see.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #24: Jan 26, 2008 10:22:06 pm
      I don't see why Benayoun gets criticised for not getting enough crosses in, as that isn't what he offers the side. He offers an attacking threat cutting in from the middle, IMO the perfect contrast to Pennant who offers a lot of width but nothing in terms of goal threat.

Crazy idea, but why not play Benayoun up front for a bit? He knows where the goal is which is more than most of our strikers, and he used to play there for Racing Santander before he moved to West Ham. Gotta be worth a go?

That's actually a good idea Eddie. I was a bit critical of Yossi after the Villa game but it was probably because he is not a natural wide player and would be more suited to a more central role.
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #25: Jan 26, 2008 10:22:21 pm
      I haven't got any stats to back it up, but I'd hazard a guess that Benayoun has a better shots to goals ratio than any of our strikers, including Torres. The guy knows where the goal is, and that's exactly what we need at the moment.

Maybe a 4-5-1 with Yossi playing behind Torres ?
      Or something like the Milan system with Gerrard and Yossi/Babel behind Torres.Alonso,Mascherano winning the ball in midfield.The only problem would be the lack of width but our wingers haven't been in the best of form recently anyway.

I still believe Rafa should to try a different formation.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #26: Jan 27, 2008 07:23:48 am
      Just done a quick check and Yossi has scored 10 goals in all competitions this season,I agree with other posters that it might be worth giving him a run up front with Torres.
      Hysén007
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #27: Jan 27, 2008 10:20:07 am
      With Masc and Alonso behind, Gerrard will be perfect behind Torres, I think it´t very important that he feels the defensive play is working perfect so that he will be able to focus more of the offensive play.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #28: Jan 27, 2008 02:02:45 pm
      With Masc and Alonso behind, Gerrard will be perfect behind Torres, I think it´t very important that he feels the defensive play is working perfect so that he will be able to focus more of the offensive play.

Good point.

Said this on another thread; that the best playy for the LFC right now is the 4-5-1 formation since the other strikers are not hitting it. We need to totally control the mid-field plus we still have the option of Alonso and Mascherano side by side with Gerrard behind Torres. We can switch to 4-4-2 later on in the second half.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #29: Jan 27, 2008 02:16:44 pm
      Bit critical of pennant. He has done well this season in my opinion, coming back from a broken leg isnt easy and he is playing well at the moment, if he adds goals to his game he will be great but i think he tends to look to help a teammate out and get a pass in to them to get them in on goal rather than going for goal himself.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #30: Jan 27, 2008 02:34:34 pm
      The one time we have played Gerrard behind Torres I recall Rafa getting slated for it on here. Not sure which game it was, could've been Reading?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #31: Jan 27, 2008 03:30:00 pm
      The one time we have played Gerrard behind Torres I recall Rafa getting slated for it on here. Not sure which game it was, could've been Reading?

It was against Wigan when we drew 1-1
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #32: Jan 27, 2008 03:34:13 pm
      I think you're right actually mate. It didn't work out too well did it? Personally I still think our best option is Gerrard on the right with the freedom to come inside. We seem to play better when we keep it tight in central midfield & attack from the wings.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #33: Jan 27, 2008 04:45:27 pm
      I think you're right actually mate. It didn't work out too well did it? Personally I still think our best option is Gerrard on the right with the freedom to come inside. We seem to play better when we keep it tight in central midfield & attack from the wings.

We also played Gerrard upfront in the win against AC Milan in 2004 and also in the Champions league finals against AC milan. You are right about the right wing option for Gerrard, much like Benanyun wing play where he comes in a lot. The whole idea IMO is to have more players in the midfield and one striker upfront. Maybe Benenyun behind Torres, He is scoring more goals than the other strikers right now and he also probably has more shots on goals than them.
      Hysén007
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #34: Jan 27, 2008 05:21:37 pm
      Gerrard is the kind of player that takes full responsibillity both way´s and if he doesn´t feel safe about the defence he will not go forward as much as he can, with Masch playing the way he does and Alonso back from injury he can think moore of the offensive play and set up the brilliant balls for Torres. ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #35: Jan 27, 2008 10:48:18 pm
      I think Rafa should go all out to sign Quaresma because he would solve our wing probllems and he is world class, maybe bring in Aimar for the other wing ;D
      tampabay
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #36: Jan 27, 2008 10:59:47 pm
      too bore with Rafa style too many chance but he can't get it. I need the change that can make team grow up.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #37: Jan 28, 2008 04:29:28 am
      Might sound weird but 4-2-2-1-1. Msch and Xabi at the back of midfield, Babel and Yossi the next line of attack with Gerrard behind Torres. Babel and Yossi can drift wide and cut back in if need be but i think it coud be worth a shout since we dont use natural width with our wingers. Of course JP and Kewell could go then.

Reina

Arbeloa     Carragher     Hyypia    Riise

Alonso       Masch

Benny                  Babel

Gerrard

Torres
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38: Jan 28, 2008 04:33:09 am
      I think Rafa should go all out to sign Quaresma because he would solve our wing probllems and he is world class, maybe bring in Aimar for the other wing ;D

Probably some people getting sick of my argument but here it is again:

Why spend 25 million on a winger who cries and spends more tinme on the floor then on his own 2 feet? He cant handle pressure and doesnt play the honourable way. If we're talking of players not having the right mentality then Quaresma isnt our man. Bentley is the number 1 target on the right for me and Silva on the other side.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #39: Jan 28, 2008 07:52:03 am
      Maybe Kuyt & Babel won some silverware in Holland, and Skrtel just won the league in Russia, but beyond that I don't think anyone in our current squad has won anything with another club? I know Pennant was with Arsenal, but I'm certain he never played enough games to get a medal.

Steve Finnan won a League one and a Championship medal with fulham I think
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #40: Jan 28, 2008 08:30:40 am
      I think the results are up to the players, if they can't hit the target and put it into the back of the net, Rafa can only tell them what to do. But it is up to the players and they aren't playing very well recently. Where is Rafa isn't doing badly fielding teams.
      Hysén007
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #41: Jan 28, 2008 12:01:05 pm
      I agree

A lot of players can do much better...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #42: Jan 28, 2008 02:02:16 pm
      Might sound weird but 4-2-2-1-1. Msch and Xabi at the back of midfield, Babel and Yossi the next line of attack with Gerrard behind Torres. Babel and Yossi can drift wide and cut back in if need be but I think it coud be worth a shout since we dont use natural width with our wingers. Of course JP and Kewell could go then.

Reina

Arbeloa     Carragher     Hyypia    Riise

Alonso       Masch

Benny                  Babel

Gerrard

Torres

Why should pennant go????????? he has een a good player for us and if you remember he had a great game in champions league final and he totally destroyed ashley cole in the semi final, as well as a string of brilliant performances in the league. he was playing well this season too before he got injured
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #43: Jan 28, 2008 02:13:24 pm
      I think Pennant has shown a few glimpses of what he is capable of, one problem 1 goal from 65 appearances is not enough he needs to be chipping in with some goals as well on current form he should be playing second fiddle to Yossi.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #44: Jan 28, 2008 02:36:33 pm
      Probably some people getting sick of my argument but here it is again:

Why spend 25 million on a winger who cries and spends more tinme on the floor then on his own 2 feet? He cant handle pressure and doesnt play the honourable way. If we're talking of players not having the right mentality then Quaresma isnt our man. Bentley is the number 1 target on the right for me and Silva on the other side.

People slate him alot but ronaldo was exactly the same in his time at sporting. Im sure alot of the players in foreign leagues dive and this may suprise people our very own wonderkid used to dive, yes el nino used to he has even admitted it and he only stopped because stevie had a word. Whos to say Quaresma couldnt come in and get alot better playing for us.

Rafa seems to have a way of changing peoples attitude and making them better players. Just because a player is a certain way doesnt mean their mindset cant change. Quaresma truly has the potential to become a world beater and given the right opportunity would become better. If he isnt that good they wouldnt demand so much money.

Ronaldo was a selfish sulky kind of player at sporting and look at him now, all it takes is words of encouragement and being able to get the player to enjoy playing and showing them that working for the team is better than just playing for yourself.

Bentley would be a great buy but he will not leave blackburn he is going to sign a new deal soon. We need genuine match winners in our team that is what i think we are missing, and quaresma is one. I am certain if he came to us he would change and become a better playe.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #45: Jan 28, 2008 04:24:26 pm
      Rafa seems to have a way of changing peoples attitude and making them better players. Just because a player is a certain way doesnt mean their mindset cant change.

Good point.

Torres had created a bit of a "diving" image for himself within the game in Spain.

No longer.

Now, he gets up, doesn't moan or roll-around, shakes hands with defenders ...quite simply he has become a brilliant playing role model for the kids, all in a few short months - all under the guidance of Mr Benitez.

So why not be able to do it with the likes of Quaresma? ...when you have that liverbird on your chest, the world changes....

Quick Reply