Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

Cricket

Read 394356 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6774 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Cricket
      Reply #5474: Jul 03, 2023 08:47:39 am
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,140 posts | 3466 
      Reply #5475: Jul 03, 2023 09:25:58 am

It needed to go to the 3rd umpire because both the on field umpires were not watching the stumps as they both believed the over to be complete
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #5476: Jul 03, 2023 09:41:32 am
      The Aussies won't lose a minutes sleep over it they are 2-0 up thats all that matters. The one thing England have down the ages is the ability to F**k up at any moment. Shitty sportsmanship indeed but no unexpected. Hope the Aussies are ready for the Crowd in Yorkshire it could be tense
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6774 
      Reply #5477: Jul 03, 2023 10:38:59 am
      It needed to go to the 3rd umpire because both the on field umpires were not watching the stumps as they both believed the over to be complete

I didn't see it but just reading that Bairstow tried the same thing in the 1st innings against Labushagne but missed  :lmao:.

If he hit, would u have gone, You're out you Aussie c**t....walk! I bet u would have.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,140 posts | 3466 
      Reply #5478: Jul 03, 2023 10:40:15 am
      I didn't see it but just reading that Bairstow tried the same thing in the 1st innings against Labushagne but missed  :lmao:.

If he hit, would u have gone, You're out you Aussie C**t....walk! I bet u would have.

Bairstow was going for the stumping because Marnus was standing outside his crease during the ball delivery
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6774 
      Reply #5479: Jul 03, 2023 11:01:49 am
      I saw Carey do it in one motion, he  took the ball and just reflex threw it at the stumps, because he saw him out of his crease and Over was not called.

Can argue all day, won't get anywhere.

2-0

Let's go to Lords!

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,385 posts | 783 
      Reply #5480: Jul 03, 2023 12:55:34 pm
      I saw Carey do it in one motion, he  took the ball and just reflex threw it at the stumps, because he saw him out of his crease and Over was not called.

Can argue all day, won't get anywhere.

2-0

Let's go to Lords!
      Spot on...except having just finished at Lord's we're off to Leeds next.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #5481: Jul 03, 2023 01:58:13 pm
      Carey starts the throw before Bairstow has even left his crease.

I said it yesterday, it's not in the spirit of the game but it is out. And we can't change the past without Doc Brown's delorean so we just have to move on.

Might have to go through the history of this thread to see if any of us had anything to say when Collingwood/Pietersen ran out a New Zealand a fella years ago and the argument of spirit and laws came up. Can't remember who the Kiwi was but I know he bumped into our one bowlers and we still took the run out. Pietersen was definately involved and Collingwood was captain.

EDIT: Can't find anything about on this thread, and it would of been in the first couple of pages given the dates. But here's the video if you don't remember the incident itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3bOlo6Enlg&ab_channel=90Overs
      « Last Edit: Jul 03, 2023 02:06:53 pm by dunlop liddell shankly »
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,385 posts | 783 
      Reply #5482: Jul 03, 2023 02:56:32 pm
      Carey starts the throw before Bairstow has even left his crease.

I said it yesterday, it's not in the spirit of the game but it is out. And we can't change the past without Doc Brown's delorean so we just have to move on.

Might have to go through the history of this thread to see if any of us had anything to say when Collingwood/Pietersen ran out a New Zealand a fella years ago and the argument of spirit and laws came up. Can't remember who the Kiwi was but I know he bumped into our one bowlers and we still took the run out. Pietersen was definately involved and Collingwood was captain.

EDIT: Can't find anything about on this thread, and it would of been in the first couple of pages given the dates. But here's the video if you don't remember the incident itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3bOlo6Enlg&ab_channel=90Overs
      Thanks for posting this: I had forgotten just how that came about. For me, this is a worse call than yesterday, inasmuch as it's an obvious accident with both players trying to avoid the collision. The Bairstow incident has an element of negligence about it on his part. There is so much pressure out on the square to win, these things happen now and again. Had it been the start of the innings I'd imagine Cummings would have declined the decision.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,309 posts | 768 
      Reply #5483: Jul 03, 2023 02:58:11 pm
      One thing for sure the Aussies will receive a hostile reception from the Yorkshire crowd at Headingley on Saturday. They will be willing a performance from Johnny Bairstow, who will be up for the challenge, in front of his home fans !
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #5484: Jul 03, 2023 03:07:48 pm
      Thanks for posting this: I had forgotten just how that came about. For me, this is a worse call than yesterday, inasmuch as it's an obvious accident with both players trying to avoid the collision. The Bairstow incident has an element of negligence about it on his part. There is so much pressure out on the square to win, these things happen now and again. Had it been the start of the innings I'd imagine Cummings would have declined the decision.

I think it's made worse by the fact that New Zealand withdrew their appeal for a run out on Collingwood, of all people, when we toured there the following year.

Colly's was basically identical to the Bairstow incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsznuSW-1Ug&ab_channel=PANSILUMUSICSTUDIO
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #5485: Jul 04, 2023 01:04:13 pm
      Pope ruled out for the rest of the series with a dislocated shoulder.

Question now is do we bring Foakes in and play Bairstow as an out and out batsman or keep Bairstow as keeper and pick another batsman (or possible all-rounder if they go back to Ali)
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,385 posts | 783 
      Reply #5486: Jul 04, 2023 01:25:27 pm
      The continuing press coverage of the Lord's "Incident" is getting ridiculous. You'd think it was the first and only time "The spirit of the Game" has ever been (potentially) breached. It wasn't the final ball of the game, it didn't necessarily decide the result...Bairstow may well have been clean bowled next ball....he may have gone on to hit the winning run....we'll never know...The cricket has been too good to allow this story to overly dominate, time to drop all the verbals between the sides and to move on.
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2023 02:17:51 pm by Longy-Shops »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,419 posts | 2836 
      Reply #5487: Jul 04, 2023 01:46:31 pm
      Pope ruled out for the rest of the series with a dislocated shoulder.

Question now is do we bring Foakes in and play Bairstow as an out and out batsman or keep Bairstow as keeper and pick another batsman (or possible all-rounder if they go back to Ali)

Looks like it will be Dan Lawrence as we don’t plan to call up a replacement and Foakes wasn’t in the original squad.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #5488: Jul 04, 2023 02:12:48 pm
      Looks like it will be Dan Lawrence as we don’t plan to call up a replacement and Foakes wasn’t in the original squad.

He's gonna be under immense pressure if that is the case just because of the demand for Foakes to be in the squad as well as his own poor record at Test level.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,592 posts | 1100 
      Reply #5489: Jul 04, 2023 06:10:47 pm
      He's gonna be under immense pressure if that is the case just because of the demand for Foakes to be in the squad as well as his own poor record at Test level.

The ashes are almost gone. Robinson out and Moeen back in ... or woakes depending on how the pitch is looking. Wood comes in for Jimmy.

Foakes has to come in. Bairstow has been poor behind the stumps and done nothing with the bat.

With that said ... with Pope out. I'd move Root up and have bairstow in the middle order as I'm not sold on Lawrence if I'm honest. Hopefully bairstow has fire in his belly now. Let's harness it in the top 6
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6774 
      Reply #5490: Jul 05, 2023 01:07:06 am
      Spot on...except having just finished at Lord's we're off to Leeds next.

Yeah, I logged off, was having a smoke and thought to myself, "did I just write Lords?..oh well F**k it, back at work Wednesday, will fix it then.  :D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6774 
      Reply #5491: Jul 05, 2023 01:11:02 am
      One thing for sure the Aussies will receive a hostile reception from the Yorkshire crowd at Headingley on Saturday. They will be willing a performance from Johnny Bairstow, who will be up for the challenge, in front of his home fans !

We always receive a hostile reception from you guys, just like you do from us, when you guys come touring Downunder.

It's the best Series in WC.

Wouldn't have it any other way.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,385 posts | 783 
      Reply #5492: Jul 05, 2023 10:30:24 am
      We always receive a hostile reception from you guys, just like you do from us, when you guys come touring Downunder.

It's the best Series in WC.

Wouldn't have it any other way.
      I think the Aussies turn it into a positive and feed on the hostility.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,309 posts | 768 
      Reply #5493: Jul 05, 2023 12:11:21 pm
      I  think it was far better when the Test series was spread over the summer months, rather than play the series in a relatively short space of time. In August we have the 100/100 competition, seemingly a new brand of cricket, in which genuine cricket fans, do not really find interesting.

Anyone with similar views, or do I sound an old fuddy duddy !
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #5494: Jul 05, 2023 02:56:38 pm
      Pope, Robinson & Anderson out, Wood, Woakes & Ali back in.

England team: Ben Duckett, Zak Crawley, Harry Brook, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Chris Woakes, Moeen Ali, Stuart Broad, Mark Wood, Ollie Robinson.

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,385 posts | 783 
      Reply #5495: Jul 05, 2023 03:04:35 pm
      I  think it was far better when the Test series was spread over the summer months, rather than play the series in a relatively short space of time. In August we have the 100/100 competition, seemingly a new brand of cricket, in which genuine cricket fans, do not really find interesting.

Anyone with similar views, or do I sound an old fuddy duddy !
      I'm a fully paid up member of the Fuddy Duddies and I've never taken an interest in "Slog" cricket...Giant heavy bats etc.... not for me.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,897 posts | 426 
      Reply #5496: Jul 05, 2023 04:03:04 pm
      We only got 18 more sleeps till pre season KO's or you mean the real stuff?  :D

F**k pre season!!

Quick Reply