Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Pablo Aimar (Real Zaragoza)

Read 2464 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Pablo Aimar (Real Zaragoza)
      Jan 27, 2008 12:19:14 pm
      From the Echo...

RAFA BENITEZ is weighing up a swoop for Argentinian playmaker Pablo Aimar.

The Liverpool boss is looking into the possibility of signing Aimar from Real Zaragoza after being alerted to his availability.

Benitez has managed Aimar previously when the pair worked together at Valencia – a time which Aimar openly admits was his most productive as a player.

Since then he has gone on to star for Zaragoza in La Liga after a £8.5m move from Valencia in July 2006.

Though a hugely popular figure among the Zaragoza fans, Aimar is believed to be ready to test himself in the Premiership and new Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan has already registered an interest in taking him to the north east.

But Benitez is monitoring the situation and could be prepared to make a move for Aimar – whom Diego Maradona once described as his "legitimate successor as the world's best player" – if the price is right.

With the transfer window set to close next Thursday, Liverpool would have to move fast if they are to secure a deal for the attacking midfielder. But with the club set to receive a fee in the region of £9m for Momo Sissoko, and Benitez having received the backing of co-owner Tom Hicks, there is nothing to stand in the way of them making an offer.

The 28-year-old has been linked with Liverpool before, shortly after Benitez quit Valencia to take over at Anfield, but no move transpired.

At the time Aimar said: "Rafa Benitez is an excellent coach who knows me very well and Liverpool would be an ideal place to go if I cannot sort out my future here.

"From what I can see, English football is the best in Europe next to Spain and I do not think I would have a problem adapting to the Premiership."
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Pablo Aimar (Real Zaragoza)
      Reply #1: Jan 27, 2008 12:34:39 pm
      I'd have my reservations about his ability to cope with the physical side of the Premiership, but there's no doubting he's a very skillful player, and he knows how to score goals, which is something we're lacking at the moment.

He's proven in Spain anyway, so worst case scenario we'd get most of our money back on him. I say go for it.
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #2: Jan 27, 2008 01:10:23 pm
      is a great player,but he is not young and he is not what we need
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #3: Jan 27, 2008 05:36:47 pm
      Isn't he sort of an attacking central midfielder? We really don't need another one. Save the money for a classy winger and a decent striker to support El Nino.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #4: Jan 27, 2008 05:38:28 pm
      Isn't he sort of an attacking central midfielder? We really don't need another one. Save the money for a classy winger and a decent striker to support El Nino.

He like plays behind the two strikers. I think we do need him, his creativity levels are high, very high! Pacey and has good agility, I wouldn't say no for about £8m
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #5: Jan 27, 2008 06:54:11 pm
      He like plays behind the two strikers. I think we do need him, his creativity levels are high, very high! Pacey and has good agility, I wouldn't say no for about £8m

Agree Ra Ra. This is the type of player I feel that we need. I said in another thread that we seem to run out of ideas sometimes in the final third, and lack a real creative player.
      AggerDoo
      Reply #6: Jan 27, 2008 06:54:31 pm
      Yeah he is a top quality player where will he fit into the teamcos if hes plays behind the two strikers that either means no wingers or 1 less CM.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #7: Jan 27, 2008 08:25:06 pm
      I said we should of brought him here seasons a go when Benitez first came on board.

I say 'buy, buy, buy'.

I can't see him at Newcastle though.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #8: Jan 27, 2008 09:05:23 pm
      Hold on, would we play two up top with Aimar supporting? I saw it mentioned on the official boards that we should play Aimar just off Torres and then if we had Babel & Benayoun cutting in off the wings we'd almost be playing Arsenal's formation style.

I don't know, I have my reservations about another centrally-based midfielder, and unless Rafa is changing the formation system then I'd say no.

Having said that, I do think Aimar is a good player, and if it was a choice of playing Kuyt/Voronin up top with Torres or Aimar just off El Nino, I would definately go with Aimar.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #9: Jan 27, 2008 09:18:07 pm
      To be honest I can't see us getting Pablo Aimar, if we were to get him it would of been quite some time ago. He's still a brilliant player at 28, and seeing that Stevie will be 28 soon gives us no excuse to say Aimar is passed it when obviously he isn't!

Would love to see him here though
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #10: Jan 27, 2008 09:24:09 pm
      Well he's got an option of sorting his career out at Zaragoza, going to Newcastle or going back to work with a former Manager that he's worked & got on with before.

I know where I would go.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #11: Jan 27, 2008 09:25:19 pm
      If he's good enough for Newcastle he's good enough for us, ;D.

Seriously tho, he's good on both Pro Evo and Football Manager which makes him a worthy buy, Torres was awesome on those games and look at real life????

Remebering seeing him bout 3 years ago for Argentina and he played really well so who knows?
      You're right Court, its a no brainer for around 8 mill
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #12: Jan 27, 2008 10:18:04 pm
      Remebering seeing him bout 3 years ago for Argentina and he played really well so who knows?

Absolutely idiot proof deal mate.

We could do with that extra creative player in the squad and Aimar looks like he would be a great acquisition for the club.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #13: Jan 27, 2008 10:19:15 pm
      If he's good enough for Newcastle he's good enough for us, ;D.

Seriously tho, he's good on both Pro Evo and Football Manager which makes him a worthy buy, Torres was awesome on those games and look at real life????

Let's not start managing Sven-style, going on youtube videos and FM stats. Dirk Kuyt is pretty handy on Pro and look how he's performed. You can't take games into the real world in all seriousness, or I'd be capable of taking Wolves to the Premiership.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #14: Jan 27, 2008 10:56:50 pm
      Let's not start managing Sven-style, going on youtube videos and FM stats.

But that's what we always do.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #15: Jan 27, 2008 11:06:46 pm

Damn, you've got me.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16: Jan 28, 2008 02:19:54 am
      Would be very handy to have. Need a creative midfielder to hang off the strikers. Torres playing in front of Aimar with Stevie and Masch behind. Class.

Plus, exclude Momo and put in Pablo in the worlds best midfield song. :D
      og92
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts | -3 
      Reply #17: Jan 28, 2008 11:06:14 am
      I don't think we need him at all, we hav alsonso who is a decent playmaker, and Gerrard when he is at his best, is the most influencial player in our team, We need a left winger more than anything or a striker, Aimar would be an uneccersary buy and a waste of time and money
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #18: Jan 28, 2008 11:12:21 am
      Hes been a quality player in his day not sure how hed do over here maybe another Morientes.
      Hysén007
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #19: Jan 28, 2008 12:17:50 pm
      I also think we need a new winger before an attacking midfielder. :)
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #20: Jan 28, 2008 11:39:50 pm
      Please buy him.
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #21: Jan 28, 2008 11:55:30 pm
      he is injured forever,is a glass player
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #22: Jan 29, 2008 12:45:46 am
      Heplays more the "Luis Garcia" type role but has far more about him. More skill, pace, presence.

Surprised all the top Spanish clubs and oursleves allowed him to go to Zaragossa. He went for about 11million Euros... roughly 8 million quid. Although to be fair to the lad he got meningitis never regained his place again. Has scored 14 in 40 for Zaragossa though.

Not one of those YouTube "best bits" of a player but is certainly of interest....

Aimar scoring against us in the Champions League for Rafa's Valencia who absolutely tore us to pieces. We could n't get the ball off them and when we did they got it straight back. They wern't called the machine for nothing. Dont think I can ever remember a team doing that to Liverpool before. Seen us take some heavy defeats, but never seen us over 2 legs of football look so inferiror to a team.

Clip of Aimar scoring after he and his teamates tore a strip out of us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfClLdlC8bo
      « Last Edit: Jan 29, 2008 12:54:06 am by Bootle Buck »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #23: Jan 29, 2008 01:07:13 am
      I don't know. I've always admired the way he's played in the past, but I'm not too sure how he'd get on in the prem these days. A few years ago I wouldn't have had any doubt at all. Different type of players I know, but I'd be worried he might turn out to be another Morientes.

More creativity would be great though!

Undecided.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #24: Jan 29, 2008 02:14:05 am
      Outstanding goal that.

I would be taking edu's advice, knowledgable on Spanish football and rightly so. Guess he wont be able to hack it.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #25: Jan 29, 2008 12:13:18 pm
      That just illustrates what rafas management results in given the backing of the board to buy the players he wants.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #26: Jan 30, 2008 10:50:26 pm
      I don't know. I've always admired the way he's played in the past, but I'm not too sure how he'd get on in the prem these days. A few years ago I wouldn't have had any doubt at all. Different type of players I know, but I'd be worried he might turn out to be another Morientes.

More creativity would be great though!

Undecided.

But that could have happened with Torres, Xabi and Arbeloa. It didnt.

Quick Reply