Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Arsenal last season = Liverpool this season?

Read 1953 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Arsenal last season = Liverpool this season?
      Jan 30, 2008 11:51:36 pm
      Well Arsenal last season would be like us this season.

I feel that we've got some players to unleash properly next season, them being Lucas & Babel with maybe a couple of decent signings.
      I'm not really feeling too down at the moment, because if Arsenal can go from fourth two season's running to potential champions of England then there is no reason why the same can't happen with us.

It's quite obvious now that there is a lot of deadwood in the team, this is what Wenger did with his Arsenal.. he cleared out all the deadwood and built a whole new team that bonded on and off the pitch. I'm sure Benitez can do this aswell.

Benitez knows what he wants to do with the Liverpool team, the only thing holding him back is the lack of funds to get the players he wanted.

But yeah we are getting similar results now that Arsenal were getting last season, I'm 100% sure that things can only get better, much better!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Arsenal last season = Liverpool this season?
      Reply #1: Jan 31, 2008 07:55:00 am
      Arsenal finished 4th and we are currently 7th.  And if anything we look like we could drop further.

Never mind the Champions League - we may not even make the UEFA Cup at this rate.
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #2: Jan 31, 2008 09:28:51 am
      Well Arsenal last season would be like us this season.

I feel that we've got some players to unleash properly next season, them being Lucas & Babel with maybe a couple of decent signings.
      I'm not really feeling too down at the moment, because if Arsenal can go from fourth two season's running to potential champions of England then there is no reason why the same can't happen with us.

It's quite obvious now that there is a lot of deadwood in the team, this is what Wenger did with his Arsenal.. he cleared out all the deadwood and built a whole new team that bonded on and off the pitch. I'm sure Benitez can do this aswell.

Benitez knows what he wants to do with the Liverpool team, the only thing holding him back is the lack of funds to get the players he wanted.

But yeah we are getting similar results now that Arsenal were getting last season, I'm 100% sure that things can only get better, much better!

The whole point of Benitez first two years in charge was to GET RID OF the deadwood. Instead, he has allowed deadwood to come to exist even more whilst making the additional error of FAILING to get the most out of his most promising players.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #3: Jan 31, 2008 10:27:38 am
      You want to read a positive post?

Doesn't really matter where we finish in the league, because number 6 is coming home on a plane from Moscow in May.

Get in!
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #4: Jan 31, 2008 10:35:38 am
      You want to read a positive post?

Doesn't really matter where we finish in the league, because number 6 is coming home on a plane from Moscow in May.

Get in!

Yep I think you could be onto something there mate, when we play crap in the league we are excellent in Europe.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #5: Jan 31, 2008 10:38:33 am
      Arsenal had a bad season because they were also (fans and players) aclimatising to the Emirates... hope this doesn't happen to us when we move to Stanley Park... in the year 2099.

We simply cannot afford to not be in the CL from now until forever...
      murpies
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 69 posts |
      Reply #6: Jan 31, 2008 11:57:10 am
      hope "2005 champion league" is happening again.
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #7: Jan 31, 2008 12:01:14 pm
      hope "2005 champion league" is happening again.

Maybe it is....but whats happening is PROOF for me that Rafa doesn't understand the league. Its annoying and upsetting because it gives the likes of Sky the chance to put the Premiership forward as being some sort of a conundrum that only the very smartest of people can understand, whilst simultaenously presenting the European Cup as some sort of an inferior tournament that any old shithead can win.

frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #8: Jan 31, 2008 01:53:39 pm
      Sorry Troffy but the only reason that SKY is presenting the champions league as an "inferior tournament" is because the word "SKY" doesn't preceed it ! unlike the domestic league that they run ! add to that their employee's i.e. Andy "tw*t" Gray belittling us at every every possible opportunity and you have the very reason why everybody's slagging us off as non-runners before a season starts!
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #9: Jan 31, 2008 02:05:11 pm
      The whole point of Benitez first two years in charge was to GET RID OF the deadwood. Instead, he has allowed deadwood to come to exist even more whilst making the additional error of FAILING to get the most out of his most promising players.

who are the most promising players? Well lets start with with some of the (fairly) new additions :-Babel, Lucas, Torres, Masherano

Babel - to early to judge yet, hasn't been played enough. Why? Maybe Rafa knows something we don't know but he has already showed his class under Rafa.

Lucas- Likewise. Young, adapting to the premiership. Be patient, he will grow into a world class midfielder.His goal, vision and passing last week was something to behold.

Torres- Criticized by many before arriving at anfield as a great player that didn't take all his chances.Even the stats backed that idea up. Under Rafa though this view quickly became redundant as Torres has had an outstanding first season already. What a player.....

Masherano- My, how he has come on under Rafa since arriving from West Ham.....Brilliant player. Rafa has got so much out of him. Vital to the team.

Give Rafa more time (like Wenger has had) and it will come good
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2008 02:26:50 pm by LondonRed »
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #10: Jan 31, 2008 02:19:07 pm
      who are the most promising players? Well lets start with with some of the (fairly) new additions :-Babel, Lucas, Torres, Masherano

Babel - to early to judge yet, hasn't been played enough. Why? Maybe Rafa knows something we don't know but he has already showed his class under Rafa.

Lucas- Likewise. Young, adapting to the premiership. Be patient, he will grow into a world class midfielder.He's goal, vision and passing last week was something to behold.

Torres- Criticized by many before arriving at anfield as a great player that didn't take all his chances.Even the stats backed that idea up. Under Rafa though this view quickly became redundant as Torres has had an outstanding first season already. What a player.....

Masherano- My, how he has come on under Rafa since arriving from West Ham.....Brilliant player. Rafa has got so much out of him. Vital to the team.

So true he will be even more great given time. The answer isnt to kick a man while hes down when things get tough its to stand by him and help him.

Babel has said himself he cant cope with the fantastic pace of the premiership. Rafa is getting it 100% right with Babel. At first i was crying out for him to be pushed upfront but that was out of desperation for goals, i think he is doing the right thing and grooming him into the kind of player he needs to be.

Lucas, What can i say great player and has so much potential, only played a few games and is showing why he will be a world beater.

Mascherano, sublime. great defensive player and is developing his attacking play alot more. Can only get better.

and Torres does his talking on the pitch. Seeing him in full flow is really something to behold.

One thing that is great is that Rafa brought in a few players who were captains for their former club and this brings a leadeship quality and brings a willingness to give something extra for the team when it is needed most. e.g. torres vs boro
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #11: Jan 31, 2008 02:20:32 pm

Lucas- Likewise. Young, adapting to the premiership. Be patient, he will grow into a world class midfielder.He's goal, vision and passing last week was something to behold.

Good post. I do really think that these four players are our players to die over in the comming years! They are some of the players who will not let us down, and our team should be built around them!
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #12: Jan 31, 2008 02:23:24 pm

dont forget about agger
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #13: Jan 31, 2008 04:30:51 pm

Lucas- Likewise. Young, adapting to the premiership. Be patient, he will grow into a world class midfielder.His goal, vision and passing last week was something to behold.

Cracking post mate! :)

And that's also true!

It is a good point that Arsenal were pretty shoddy last season! Yes they were acclimatising to a new stadium, yet that's a huge step forward. We're acclimatising to new owners, who have suddenly started to work the club differently to how it's been for years! I think we've got the rougher end of the stick! ;)

As mentioned by Don however! We play crap in the league and we usually end up winning the European Cup! I wouldn't mind number 6 this season to shut a few people up! 8)
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #14: Feb 01, 2008 02:13:10 pm
      with the so-called "Deadwood" we didn't do too bad ! two Champions League Finals (1 win )  a European Super Cup, an F.A.Cup  and  Charity Shield.
      What are we going to achieve with a decent side ?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #15: Feb 02, 2008 08:35:41 am
      with the so-called "Deadwood" we didn't do too bad ! two Champions League Finals (1 win )  a European Super Cup, an F.A.Cup  and  Charity Shield.
      What are we going to achieve with a decent side ?

Hows does a quad-year sound? If we had the size we do now with 4 or 5 out and better quality replacements, easily done! ;)
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #16: Feb 02, 2008 02:15:20 pm
      Optomistic ,but possible ! come on you reds !

Quick Reply