Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Tennis

Read 182246 times
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1173: Jul 08, 2013 03:18:18 am
      That was awesome tennis by Murray and to be fair there was only one deserved winner.  Let's see where he goes from here?
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #1174: Jul 08, 2013 03:27:08 am
      It was great to hear Andy Murray won Wimbledon. It is well deserved.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1175: Jul 08, 2013 05:10:01 am
      Very proud day for all of the british Isles.

Andy Murray,  THANK YOU.

What an epic show of determination and professionalism that ALL british footballers could learn from.

Glory leads to money rather than the other way round....which is desperately sad a point that has to be expressed in this modern climate.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1176: Jul 08, 2013 06:20:40 pm
      My opinion of Djokovic has gone down even more, he went out expecting to win and played like he should win because he is world number 1. 40 odd unforced errors is abysmal! Can't stand either of them but would have rather Djokovic rally for the win, just didn't want it as much as Murray at the end of the day. Hopefully be like Blackburn winning the Premier League, will only ever happen the once.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,378 posts | 4979 
      Reply #1177: Jul 08, 2013 11:33:59 pm
      My opinion of Djokovic has gone down even more, he went out expecting to win and played like he should win because he is world number 1. 40 odd unforced errors is abysmal! Can't stand either of them but would have rather Djokovic rally for the win, just didn't want it as much as Murray at the end of the day. Hopefully be like Blackburn winning the Premier League, will only ever happen the once.

Any particular reason?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1178: Jul 08, 2013 11:35:49 pm
      Murray is an annoying f**ker and Novak is an arrogant tool is my guess.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,378 posts | 4979 
      Reply #1179: Jul 08, 2013 11:37:27 pm
      Murray is an annoying f**ker and Novak is an arrogant tool is my guess.

I don't see the annoyance in Murray to be honest Crouchy.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1180: Jul 08, 2013 11:44:11 pm

Murray because of his sheer arrogance and how he is only British during Wimbledon but the rest of the year he is Scottish if that makes sense....especially in his early 20's this was very much the case.

Djokovic because ever since he became number 1 he just gives off the impression that he expects to win every game, he has lost his edge and determination a bit from when he was behind Fed and Nadal in the rankings. Look at him in the final against Nadal, he went out there to try and prove a point that he is up there with Rafa but then against Murray it was almost as if he thought he could just coast to victory without that determination. He didn't even seemed bothered in his interview after the match either IMO.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,378 posts | 4979 
      Reply #1181: Jul 08, 2013 11:46:18 pm
      Murray because of his sheer arrogance and how he is only British during Wimbledon but the rest of the year he is Scottish if that makes sense....especially in his early 20's this was very much the case.

Djokovic because ever since he became number 1 he just gives off the impression that he expects to win every game, he has lost his edge and determination a bit from when he was behind Fed and Nadal in the rankings. Look at him in the final against Nadal, he went out there to try and prove a point that he is up there with Rafa but then against Murray it was almost as if he thought he could just coast to victory without that determination. He didn't even seemed bothered in his interview after the match either IMO.

Fair enough but the Murray point I don't agree with as it's hardly his fault he's labelled British at some times and Scottish others.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,525 posts | 2874 
      Reply #1182: Jul 08, 2013 11:50:01 pm
      Murray arrogant? I'd say the total opposite myself!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,378 posts | 4979 
      Reply #1183: Jul 08, 2013 11:51:13 pm
      Murray arrogant? I'd say the total opposite myself!

I agree chats.

All I see is a determined guy who has made it to the top.

I think it happens all too often in this country that successful, determined people are sometimes frowned upon.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1184: Jul 08, 2013 11:59:38 pm
      Fair enough but the Murray point I don't agree with as it's hardly his fault he's labelled British at some times and Scottish others.

Not expecting you to agree or not pal by any means, we all have our different opinions and views like.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #1185: Jul 09, 2013 12:06:30 am

To me he comes across as being shy to a point touching on introverted, he really doesn't show any traits of arrogance mate.
      When he's at Wimbledon he will please the crowd and go along with the union jack bullshit and British champion bollocks but he is Scottish and like all Scots fiercely proud of their roots, can't blame the lad for that.
      No criticism mate just my slant on it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1186: Jul 09, 2013 12:17:50 am
      I've never ever seen Murray in an arrogant light. I've always seen him as stuey says - shy and introverted. I'm sure only those closest to him see the real Andy Murray but its clear from his tears from losing the final last year and when discussing the Dunblane massacre that he harbours some very deep emotions which I'm amazed that people don't get. I'm so F***ing delighted for him (not for Scotland, not for Britain) and him only after giving it his all these last few years to get where he is now. He ain't a show off and he ain't a poster boy. He doesn't fling himself around like some in his position would do. He is a great role model for all.
      « Last Edit: Jul 09, 2013 12:24:27 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1187: Jul 09, 2013 12:31:04 am
      Yep Andy Murray is the classic shy introvert. That was why people struggled to warm to him. We can't all be boring, smiley, daft cu*ts at the end of the day.

Murray is Scottish and as for now that makes him British. He chose to represent team GB in the Olympics and did the nation proud. A gold and silver.

If he doesn't want England to win the football world cup so be it. All I know is, is that if the English Football team put as much effort into their training and preperation as Andy Murray, we'd probably be good too.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1188: Jul 09, 2013 12:33:29 am
      Yep Andy Murray is the classic shy introvert. That was why people struggled to warm to him. We can't all be boring, smiley, daft cu*ts at the end of the day.

Murray is Scottish and as for now that makes him British. He chose to represent team GB in the Olympics and did the nation proud. A gold and silver.

If he doesn't want England to win the football world cup so be it.

Some saddos will always taunt him with that Anyone But England taunt when it was merely done in jest after Tim Henman was joking around with him about Scotland. I mean for F**k sake England are so atrocious particularly under that clown Hodgson that even their own fans are wearing ABE t shirts!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1189: Jul 09, 2013 12:42:30 am
      Some saddos will always taunt him with that Anyone But England taunt when it was merely done in jest after Tim Henman was joking around with him about Scotland. I mean for F**k sake England are so atrocious particularly under that clown Hodgson that even their own fans are wearing ABE t shirts!

Yeah I know he was and then the journos did a job on him taking his comments (banter with Henman who was taunting Murray about Scotland not qualifying) and completely magnifying them and taking them out of context. I know my Dad was against him for ages after that as he is a sucker for a headline but after watching the Murray documentary this year he's softened his view and was screaming COME ON ANDY at the tele all Sunday afternoon.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #1190: Jul 09, 2013 09:02:10 am
      Yeah I know he was and then the journos did a job on him taking his comments (banter with Henman who was taunting Murray about Scotland not qualifying) and completely magnifying them and taking them out of context. I know my Dad was against him for ages after that as he is a sucker for a headline but after watching the Murray documentary this year he's softened his view and was screaming COME ON ANDY at the tele all Sunday afternoon.

When all said and done that carry on about Murray supporting his national team was no more than a headline on a quiet news day mate.
      Ask any Engerland fan about their views on the fortunes of our celtic neighbours and the reply would be a lot harsher if not unprintable.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,911 posts | 6834 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1191: Jul 09, 2013 10:48:46 pm
      Couldn't at the time really care who won but was leaning towards Andy only for the fact that Ivan Lendl was always my tennis favourite growing up and was shattered when he wasn't able to win Wimbledon. Was gutted the year he lost to Australia's own, Pat Cash, think it was 1987.

So for Ivan, I'm happy.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1192: Jul 10, 2013 12:01:53 am
      Great read.

Wimbledon exposed the sexism women face – as players and girlfriends
      Sexist witterings by commentators and the media attention given to male tennis players' girlfriends shows feminism still has a long struggle ahead

While Andy Murray may have rewritten the enduring British sports narrative of noble failures and humiliating disappointment in the space of three hours last Sunday, some things, it seems, will take longer than 77 years to change.

I think of sexism as generally having three levels. First, there's the kind of sexism that a small proportion of people may still find amusing or acceptable but the majority loudly abhor. Second, there's the sexism that most people can see is appalling but, for whatever reason, it is still accepted. Third, there's the sexism that is still so endemic that it passes by largely unnoticed.

John Inverdale's dinosaur-like witterings about Marion Bartoli fall under the banner of the first two kinds of sexism. While his comments were indeed appalling, and were inevitably echoed by the usual trollish minority on the web, it is heartening to note how swiftly and wholeheartedly they were condemned by the public and, with one notable exception, the media. This aforementioned exception is what brought his comments under the banner of the second kind of sexism.

To my mind, the most shocking aspect of the Inverdale episode is not that he dribbled such sexist diarrhoea – there will always be idiots out there – but that the BBC still allowed him to commentate on the men's singles final the next day. Doubtless the BBC would protest that it swiftly offered a one-line apology, but what kind of deterrent is that when Inverdale – who insisted by way of his own characteristically hamfisted apology that he was mocking Bartoli "in a nice way" – was still allowed to commentate on one of the most high-profile sporting events of the year? One need only substitute the sexist nature of his comment with an equivalent racist slur to see how lightly the BBC apparently treats highly public verbal abuse of women.

Yet while Inverdale has attracted the most attention, there was another strong current of sexism that ran throughout the fortnight, one that has become an annual feature of not just Wimbledon – although it is certainly that – but any event in this country that involves high-profile men. Perhaps some day the media will be able to deal with the idea of high-profile men having girlfriends and not treat them as accessories or sad desperate harridans waiting anxiously for their wayward menfolk to marry them – but that day has not yet come.

Throughout Wimbledon, the girlfriends of the male players were gawked at and purred over, their attributes detailed as clinically as discussions of the players' diets. No shot of Murray's in the final, successful or otherwise, was deemed complete by the BBC without a cutaway shot to Kim Sears sitting in the stands. Whenever Murray would play, newspapers would compare all of his qualities with those of his competitors and among those qualities would be his girlfriend – whose advantages and disadvantages were listed alongside the girlfriend of her boyfriend's opponent. Sears was deemed by more than one paper to fare especially poorly against the girlfriend of Jerzy Janowicz, who had thrillingly posed in Playboy. Despite that unarguable advantage, Janowicz still lost to Murray in the semi-final. Perhaps a woman's overt sexiness is not actually so important? Perish the thought.

Just as the looks of male tennis players aren't considered important by anyone, the boyfriends of the female players aren't subjected to any of the scrutiny the girlfriends of the male players are. Possibly this is because – with Inverdale-approved exceptions – female athletes are still largely considered unfeminine and therefore their love lives are of no interest, possibly even unthinkable. Or maybe the idea of a supportive male consort sitting in the stands seems unmanly, and therefore lacking in the passive sexual appeal of a supportive woman. Or perhaps it is simply because men aren't seen as trophy accessories in the way women still are. Probably it is a mixture of all three.

As if this wasn't grating enough, there is also the media-coined narrative that follows these poor women around: that they are all desperate to be married while their man strains against their leash. Kate Middleton was the most high-profile recent example of this assumption and Nicole Scherzinger, the now ex-girlfriend of Lewis Hamilton, was subjected to it, too. Murray had barely dusted the Wimbledon grass off his trainers before he was being asked by several reporters, including Holly Willoughby on This Morning, whether now that he had won Wimbledon he would propose to Sears, as though one has anything to do with the other. Murray, with his typical and endearing lack of interest in sentimental media conventions, wearily replied: "I only met you 10 minutes ago so I wouldn't be telling you if I did." The Daily Telegraph promptly expressed pity for the "long-suffering Sears".

These tropes – woman as accessory, woman as marriage-desperate victim – are so ingrained that they can still pass by unnoticed so easily. It is a sign of the remarkable progress over the past few decades in feminism that Inverdale's remarks, which would have prompted hardly a blink just a few decades ago, are so reviled today, even if his employers have yet to catch up. But the way Sears – and Scherzinger, and the Duchess of Cambridge, and any other woman who is somehow affiliated to a high-profile man – is still discussed is a reminder that there remains a long way to go.

Hadley Freeman - The Guardian
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1193: Jul 10, 2013 07:53:28 pm
      Great read. Cheers Diego.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1194: Jul 11, 2013 03:42:00 pm

No problem! Great text, wasn't it? Love it when people make us think about our prejudices (racism, sexism and so on) that are so internalized we rarely even think about them. This is a clear case. Sports in general are very sexist with male supremacy.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1195: Jul 11, 2013 04:13:05 pm
      Inverdale is a useless arrogant toff. Anyone see Bartoli in her Wimbledon Ball dress? A definite "looker" and a boss player.

Quick Reply