Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

England captaincy, Gerrards the man !

Read 2290 times
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      England captaincy, Gerrards the man !
      Feb 05, 2008 12:59:41 pm
      They have just named Stevie Gerrard as England captian ABOUT BLOODY TIME ! nobody else has the passion for a shirt that he has !
      any views ?
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Re: England captaincy, Gerrards the man !
      Reply #1: Feb 05, 2008 01:01:34 pm
      Is it just for tomorrows game because it was speculated that Capello was waiting to choose a permanent one or is he now England captain from now on not just for tomorrows game.

EDIT: Just seen on SSN he isn't permanent captain its just for tomorrow but he still could be.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #2: Feb 05, 2008 01:08:04 pm
      He's not naming a permanent captain until the Andorra game
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #3: Feb 05, 2008 01:27:16 pm
      I hope it is permanent it will do his confidence a world of good ahead of the Chelsea match.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #4: Feb 05, 2008 01:28:22 pm
      I can it now Stevie Gerrard lifting the world cup in 2010.....

somebody wake me up.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: Feb 05, 2008 02:05:27 pm
      EDIT: Just seen on SSN he isn't permanent captain its just for tomorrow but he still could be.

Glad he's got his captaincy.

As they say it's not permanent so Steve can't afford to be showing his recent head down attitude.

He will have to get every single one of those fuckers by the scruff of the neck and show who's boss on the pitch.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #6: Feb 05, 2008 02:18:44 pm
      Well said Court, your last line say's it all ! it's the one reason I believe he will never leave the reds, its HIS club like England is HIS country he doesn't just wear his heart on his sleeve he wears his inside out ! everyone can see that.  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #7: Feb 05, 2008 02:42:41 pm
      True it will do wonders for his confidence and the perfect scenario would be a real captains performance from him a win for england and a goal for stevie.

That would certainly fire him up for the chelsea game this weekend.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #8: Feb 05, 2008 03:07:33 pm
      I wanted that for a long time! It's very important for Steven, he wanted it too. But he needs to feel he's a permanent England captain.
      I wish he will be England captain and comes to Belarus iin that status.

Congratulations, Stevie!
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #9: Feb 05, 2008 03:25:07 pm
      I want Stevie to be captain so badly, he deserves it badly! I haven't had the passion for England for a while, like i have for Liverpool.

But would you all start supporting England more, if Stevie is named permanent captain, as most of us Liverpool fans are not bothered with England, but Stevie would need our support, and if he is made captain i will have passion for my country once again, but only until he is made the main captain!

What do you all think?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #10: Feb 05, 2008 04:10:30 pm
      There is no better player to lead the team and capello has made the right choice. I saw the interview with mclaren and he said that terry should stay as captain because he is more of a team leader and can inspire a team on to win where as gerreard just wins it himself.

Hang on a minute istanbul i remember after gerrard got his goal he was lifting his arms trying to motivate them and give them belief and he does that so much, but yes he does win games on his own but not all time. After the game tomorrow capello will see that he should replace terry as full time captain. Especially seeing as if things are not going terry's way then his head drops and he gets sloppy, just like when torres was getting the better of him in the 1-1 draw. Terry was having to get in his face but was not working. Gerrard will never let his head drop.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #11: Feb 05, 2008 04:36:59 pm
      I can it now Stevie Gerrard lifting the world cup in 2010.....

somebody wake me up.

Gerrard as the Captain of England is perfect! England winning World Cup 2010? Slow down!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #12: Feb 05, 2008 04:52:28 pm
      I can't see how Stevie is chosen to be England captain on his leadership/personality merits - purely on footballing ability merits... and that ability has not delivered this season for his club (and dare I say it - country either).

Come on StevieG have a great run in to the season with the Mighty Redmen!!

- England 2nd in order of priorities? Don't think so...
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #13: Feb 05, 2008 04:52:38 pm
      There is no better player to lead the team and capello has made the right choice. I saw the interview with mclaren and he said that terry should stay as captain because he is more of a team leader and can inspire a team on to win where as gerreard just wins it himself.

Usual cr*p from the loser McClaren.
      stiffler
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 137 posts |
      Reply #14: Feb 05, 2008 05:52:11 pm
      I would rather Gerard wasnt England captain, as this may draw his focus slighty of the events at Anfield.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #15: Feb 05, 2008 06:06:18 pm
      Congratulations Stevie.

In light of recent events at our club though, I'm not exactly over the moon about it. More media spotlight and pressure to deliver on the pitch.

Obviously made up for him because it's seen as a massive honour by players and it's great that a scouser is leading the country on the pitch. If it's made permanant though I hope it doesn't have the wrong effect on his Liverpool career.
      Cy
      Reply #16: Feb 05, 2008 06:35:31 pm
      Congratulation to Stevie, I guess been the captain of England is something who means a lot to him. I can't help to think that it might not been the right time for him, Stevie needs to deliver as a captain for Liverpool and I can't feel that he is not right now, let's hope that this will be an incitive for him to be more present as a leader for us too. More pressure on him with that captaincy....

I would have been happy to have Gerrard playing only 1 half on that game, especially with chelsea coming up, be the captain that will be hardly the case, he will have to show commitment to get a result on a friendly useless game which is only there for the FA to make more money.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #17: Feb 05, 2008 06:41:39 pm
      Congratulations Stevie G! ;)

I hope it's made permanent, as I couldn't stand the sight of Rio Ferdinand with it round his arm! :-\

It might boost interest a bit more up here around Liverpool, getting a Captain from the North of England! No offence to any hardcore England fans but there's just no interest in the National team up here and maybe a Northern Skipper might change that! :)
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #18: Feb 05, 2008 06:47:07 pm
      I hope that Steven captaincy will change your attitude to England team. I have been dreaming about it a lot. So another my dream has come true. It's really fine.
      I read how it's important for him to be England captain, not substitute of the captain. He is a perfectionist and always aims at more
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #19: Feb 05, 2008 09:03:02 pm
      Good news. I think it will have a positive effect on Stevie as a player.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #20: Feb 05, 2008 11:32:04 pm
      I would rather Gerard wasnt England captain, as this may draw his focus slighty of the events at Anfield.

On the contrary, I think Stevie will revel in this chance and take the responsibility very seriously, what an honour for a Scouse Whiston lad to be leading his Country.

I'm very proud of my fella.... :D  Go Stevie...
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #21: Feb 06, 2008 12:18:16 am
      I bet he's well happy!! Even if it's only for the time being, he seems the kind of guy that even 1 game captaining his country would make his life!! :D I definitely think he's suitable for the job full time though.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #22: Feb 06, 2008 12:59:20 am
      They have just named Stevie Gerrard as England captian ABOUT BLOODY TIME ! nobody else has the passion for a shirt that he has !
      any views ?

Maybe he can give up the Liverpool captaincy for Carragher now then.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #23: Feb 06, 2008 12:59:44 am
      even 1 game captaining his country would make his life!!

He's already captained England.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #24: Feb 06, 2008 02:35:16 am
      Yes he has captained England before recently as against Croatia, when we the (Croats) pounded you, i think that had a massive psychological effect on him and contributed to the downfall of his form. Funny thing watching that game i love Croatia to death and was eccstatic when we went 2-0 up but felt this emptiness for Stevie, then remembered the arrogance of the English media prior to the game and said F**k it ill revel in the celebration.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25: Feb 06, 2008 04:09:04 am

Good! Now he can lift his head and play a decent game of football.
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #26: Feb 06, 2008 07:51:32 am
      any views ?

Good luck to him, but in all honesty i'm not really that interested in the National team.  Capello is a quality Manager and he will do 10 times better than Steve McClaren did, but the only game i'm interested in is the one on Sunday against Chelsea.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #27: Feb 06, 2008 05:09:13 pm
      He's already captained England.
      It wasn't a competitive game tho was it? Unless I'm completely thinking of someone else.. sorry :\
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #28: Feb 06, 2008 08:37:50 pm
      Just seen something that doesnt look good on the international front. Torres has come off in spain match after only 21 minutes anyone watching who can say what the reason is. Im praying it isnt an injury.
      « Last Edit: Feb 06, 2008 08:48:42 pm by lil cisse »

Quick Reply