Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Chelsea v Liverpool - Match Thread

Read 7358 times
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Re: Chelsea v Liverpool - Match Thread
      Reply #115: Feb 11, 2008 06:54:54 am
      If you said before the game wed get a draw id have taken it so please with the point but slightly disappionted that we never took all 3 i feel if Torres had played we would have won,Chelsea havent lost at home in the league for 4 years so we cant really complain with the draw.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #116: Feb 11, 2008 07:34:09 am
      not much more to say than what has been said already.

I know we should have won, we played much better then them but we didn't lose and I'm grateful for that because another loss to one of the other "big" clubs just hurts too much.

For me, I couldn't split MOM. It was definitely between Skrtel and Masch, they both had fantastic games. It was nice to see the ball not being hoofed out of defense for a change. very impressed with Skrtel and I think Rafa has done really well to bring him to Liverpool. Geez he is one mean looking mother.   

As for Masch, been really impressed with his passing game of late, he has definitely been working on it. We know he's fantastic at his defensive play, now he's got the passing going, soon we'll see him scoring some crackers. Anyone who says he's not worth 17 million pounds, has got their hands on it :tosser:

The only time I noticed Pepe was when he saved Risse's header :soccer_h4h:. Not too many goal threats from either side but I still wish Crouchie had have put one of those headers, in the first half, in the back of the net.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #117: Feb 11, 2008 07:55:26 am
      It was good to see the fight and determination on display today.I agree with AussieRed regarding M.O.M,for me it was between Mascherano and Skrtel.Considering Masch had only got back on Friday he did very well.I was impressed with Skrtel ,Chelsea tried to rough him up and it was mainly Anelka handing the rough stuff out.As with other posters Riise put the shi** up me with that header but it was deliberate play by J.A.R straight to Reina,there was no panic so he should be given credit for that.It was probably his best game since Marseille.Pity we did not get the 3 points but it was a much improved display.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #118: Feb 11, 2008 09:02:33 am
      I think we played well today and I am happy the way we played obviously it was a bad thing that we didn't score but at the other end we didn't conceed. Skrtel what a game! And againest a team such as Chelsea, he has won over my faith with that performance! I was watching the post match interview with Carragher and Crouch, but when Carragher talked, 1. I had trouble understanding the Scouse accent but 2. There was something that was trouble him, there was a tremble in his voice. Anyone know anything further on Carragher, now what happened with Skrtel his wrist, it looked terrible can he survive another week to play, we are in a massive struggle for our CBs.
      It was good to see the fight and determination on display today.I agree with AussieRed regarding M.O.M,for me it was between Mascherano and Skrtel.Considering Masch had only got back on Friday he did very well.
      I'm not sure but I would have given Carragher a first or second spot as far as the best player. I was happy with the point and it sort of feels like a win to a limit.
      streety893
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts | -3 
      • Theres always hope in our hearts
      Reply #119: Feb 11, 2008 11:29:37 am
      our work ethic was good but we lacked a rub of the green
      pity because chelski looked so ordinary
      Anelka was poor maybe he was dreaming of playing for us again someday??? :lmao:

Kuyt and masherano must have clocked up a few thousand miles on that pitch hell fire they were every where

Crouch was unlucky and i really think harry should have got a run out  for at least the last 10 minutes

a point of chelski is not the end of the world however we need to start winning consistently at Anfield

YNWA
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #120: Feb 11, 2008 11:33:56 am
      Mascherano did very well...so did Skrtel.

The game was very congested...no space for movement whatsoever...the keepers had little (if anything) to do.

All in all- I'm happy with the point. It could've been better...but then again it couldv'e been worse.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #121: Feb 11, 2008 11:36:59 am
      Mascherano did very well...so did Skrtel.

The game was very congested...no space for movement whatsoever...the keepers had little (if anything) to do.

All in all- I'm happy with the point. It could've been better...but then again it couldv'e been worse.

Yeh exactly, no space. Why do people think games like this would of suited Xabi Alonso? He is a player who plays with time and space, he's not the quickest either so this game definitley wouldn't of suited him.
      TINHEAD14
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #122: Feb 11, 2008 11:43:10 am
      Skrtel, i thought had a decent game considering his time to adapt to the prem has had to be rushed due to injuries etc.  Mascherano was MOM for me, typical quality performance,

i'll take point from the bridge, but they were there for the taking.

Its the usual story we dont take our chances, and finish teams off!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #123: Feb 11, 2008 12:13:33 pm
      Terrible game as a spectable.

We didn't create much, they created less.

We must finish games like these off - Chelsea were efficient but there for the taking.

Gerrard is half the player he used to be at the moment - which is very worrying - he was due a bad season I suppose.

Masch world-class in his destroyer role.

Skrtel notable in his adaption to the team and the Prem - well done.

Nothing much else to note, other than we are badly under-achieving and need to convince ourselves IN THE HEAD that we are WINNERS.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #124: Feb 11, 2008 02:32:02 pm
      Yeh exactly, no space. Why do people think games like this would of suited Xabi Alonso? He is a player who plays with time and space, he's not the quickest either so this game definitley wouldn't of suited him.

because he plays with time and space when he has it sheesh its so easy to see. Even gerrard does that and mascherano, they all wait and scope the field for a pass, thats what being a good central midfielder is all about, Then if they have to pick up the pace a bit more they do.

Do you think Lucas plays with more urgency and pace than alonso because he is a fantastic young player but he doesnt in all honesty and he played very well in that game. Having Alonso in this game would have benefited us in more ways than one.

It seems now that if your having a bad spell unless you have the game of your life in one of your next performances you still get comments such as not good enough and that they should be benched.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #125: Feb 11, 2008 04:29:52 pm
      lil cisse, u need to give more support to Lucas. He's actually done a good job seeing as its his first season, only 21 years old and came over from the alantic!

Give him some fookin support man!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #126: Feb 11, 2008 04:54:18 pm
      I have given him nothing but support even before we signed him. I give him nothing but praise, in games other say he wasnt that good I say he has played well because 9 times out of 10 he has. I know the situation and I give him and the rest of our players more support than most go back and look at my posts and you'll see.

You can say that but the same could be said about you not giving Alonso support. Its just because he is playing well at the moment and Alonso isnt at his best that people are slating Alonso's performances. Iv'e said time after time that Lucas is a great player especially at his age but people should take into consideration all that a player contributes rather than mainly picking up on the negative of some during games and doing the opposite for others.

And considering the fact iv'e tipped him to surpass Francesc Fabregas, one of the premier leagues best players, i think you should assess who gives lucas more support, me or you?
      « Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008 05:01:45 pm by lil cisse »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #127: Feb 11, 2008 05:39:19 pm
      Regardless of the individual performances, I thought we would do well to get anything from this game given our current form. It was good to see we were the better side for most of the game, created the better chances and were disapointed not to get the win. How many would have predicted that. I t seems Chelski are definatley warey of us, and we didn't take advantage of that. All in all, we performed much better as a TEAM and well deserved our point. Will we see the same side out next game to keep the momentum going, apart from Torres that is, I hope so but somehow I don't think so.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #128: Feb 12, 2008 01:11:46 am
      Donrafeal what game were you watching so as to comment that Gerrard was poor. Everytime we moved forward and created something half dangerous he was at the centre of it. The long ball to crouch that resukted in the 1-2 between him and Babel and that left foot shot by Crouch. The free kick 18 yards out was on him and the cross down the right that hit crouch right on the forehead. I think that he has been poor of late but he was pretty solid this time around. I still think we need that midfield of Xabi Masch and Gerrard in a free role, he started on the right but was driftig all over the park and looked good.

I was puzzled as to why we had a genuine right midfielder in Pennant playing left mid and a genuine left mid in Kewell sitting on the bench. Only Rafa would play it like that.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #129: Feb 12, 2008 05:29:02 am

Because of his ability to play a pass from no where to split the game up.

I think we should just be happy with a point because anyone would have taken that if offered a point at Stamford, our expections are too high atm for a team who is struggling and trying to regain momentum. Last week i said results first and class later, same applies this week, no one has done better than a draw in 3 seasons so how some people are disappointed with a draw surprises me, yes the 3 were on offer but a draw is a draw and neither team deserved to win. Onto the FA and CL and les hope our momentum carries us through that game.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #130: Feb 12, 2008 09:57:45 am
      Donrafeal what game were you watching so as to comment that Gerrard was poor.

Probably right, bit harsh.

My personal expectations of StevieG are always very high (maybe overly so), because we all know what he is capable of... I didn't think he had a great game on Sunday, but he certainly was not poor... hence me actually saying he was half the player that we know he can be... and the player he can be, is probably in the top two or three on planet earth... so half of that isn't that bad I suppose!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #131: Feb 12, 2008 11:00:50 am
      I think he had a great game and his play along with his comments on the official website after the game show looking like he wants to lead the team and give 100%. He is always going to be one of those players who is a victim of his own success as they say, the standard he has reached is so high that fans are going to expect nothing but the best from him.

This shows the pressure that being a captain can present a player with. This is one of the reasons Torres is so great for us, Imagine having the pressure Gerrard has to perform well and lead your team to victory at the tender age of 19. Fernando has nowhere near as much pressure on his shoulders while playing for us and has the freedom to play his own game and really express himself on the pitch.
      red1
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #132: Feb 12, 2008 11:45:41 pm
      we deserved to win, Gr u nt wouldn't admit that though, another sore loser against us, he'll not praise us, he'll be like Maureen, unable to be honest when we're the btter team

Quick Reply