Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Chelsea v Liverpool - Match Thread

Read 7389 times
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Re: Chelsea v Liverpool - Match Thread
      Reply #92: Feb 10, 2008 10:13:56 pm
      Just started thinking i wonder what happened to skrtels hand he seemed like he was in agony. Top player for continuing and finishing the game.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #93: Feb 10, 2008 10:14:25 pm
      It was a better performance and Skrtel appears to have settled now, he was comfortable on the ball, winning it in the air and was going in hard and winning tackles. Riise had a better game too and Kuyt also done well, was working hard and was unlucky at the end of the game when he turned well but just could'nt keep the ball away from cech and cole. If we had Torres then I think we would have beaten them at least we can say it was 2 points lost as oppsed to 1 point gained like it has been in most of our draws this season. and it was good to see that in chelsea's case it was a point gained.

Still a glimmer of hope for the league but it still looks as though we are going to have to make do with winning the Champions league and F.A cup ;D
      babel99
      • Banned

• 141 posts | -24 
      Reply #94: Feb 10, 2008 10:14:44 pm
      he looks promising. definatly one to smile about

babel99
      • Banned

• 141 posts | -24 
      Reply #95: Feb 10, 2008 10:16:35 pm
      oh and scum got beat today so thats DEFINATLY something to smile about
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #96: Feb 10, 2008 10:19:48 pm
      oh and scum got beat today so thats DEFINATLY something to smile about

That's the spirit babel99  ;)
      babel99
      • Banned

• 141 posts | -24 
      Reply #97: Feb 10, 2008 10:24:19 pm
      i hope that shows the lads that we can go there and beat them
      MsGerrard
      Reply #98: Feb 10, 2008 10:32:40 pm
      Well I forecast a draw today, so I have to be reasonably happy, because I thought that is what would happen..... But that game was there for the taking today and I'm certain that if Torres had been playing we would have been looking at 3 points today instead of 1.

But in saying that a point at Chelsea is not that bad, better than we've done down there recently.

Was very impressed with Martin Skrtel, he made some very telling tackles to thwart the Chelsea forwards, Mascherano was masterful in midfield and overall the team looked to me like they were playing for each other, instead of not knowing what each other is doing :)

A positive performance all in all.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #99: Feb 10, 2008 10:55:36 pm
      We got one deserved three now lets keep it going.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #100: Feb 10, 2008 11:00:08 pm
      I officialy hate MOTD now ;D so biased and disrespectful at times.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #101: Feb 10, 2008 11:06:03 pm
      We played well today IMO best performance of the new year given the opposition. I think we need to stick to this line up now play Xabi instead of Lucas and even though i thought he did ok today Kuyt for Torres. I thought Skrtel was MOM the man has balls he contributed to a few sloppy clearences but his positioning and ability to read the game was world class.

And my God Riise's diving header pass to Reina i actually sh*t myself.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #102: Feb 10, 2008 11:18:39 pm
      And my God Riise's diving header pass to Reina I actually sh*t myself.

:D :D Same here mate. Think Liverbird mentioned that before as well. Just shows you the reactions of Reina doesn't it. Pepe the cat....

Agree about best performance of the new year. As MsG mentioned, we played for each other, put the graft in and the passing was better for sustained periods of the whole game. Long may it continue against different opposition.
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #103: Feb 10, 2008 11:49:29 pm
      I am pretty satisfied too. When the crisis was worst I looked at the fixture list and feared a humiliation in this game. But as I mentioned earlier, we have gone from being ouplayed by Luton and in some periods H&W (at anfield) to dominate Chelsea at Stanford Bridge. At least thats progress.

My only frustration today was that we did'nt have any long range efforts. I know Cech is hard to beat from distance, but we were having a hard time breaking their defence down, and when we did Crouch and Kuyt never looked likely to score. So when we have players in midfield like Gerrard, Babel, Lucas and Masch, i thought having a go from distance was worth the try. But as far as I remember we did'nt have one single effort.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #104: Feb 11, 2008 12:22:30 am
      IMy only frustration today was that we did'nt have any long range efforts. I know Cech is hard to beat from distance, but we were having a hard time breaking their defence down, and when we did Crouch and Kuyt never looked likely to score. So when we have players in midfield like Gerrard, Babel, Lucas and Masch, I thought having a go from distance was worth the try. But as far as I remember we did'nt have one single effort.

That's were Xabi would have been useful today, with some of his lovely long range efforts. ;D
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #105: Feb 11, 2008 12:29:01 am
      Yes Babel99 is being negative but at the same time he has a good point. Liverpool should be fighting for 1st, 2nd but unfortunately they ain't. But I think we all know this right now, that we are underachieving very very badly.. the table doesn't lie and the players need a bollocking!

When some argue that giving bollocking to players is bad for them it makes me laugh, because these players are getting paid sixty, seventy thousand pounds each week and if they can't take a bit of verbal discipline then obviously they should give their careers a thought. I've got this feeling that a lot of our players are mentally soft, and think they need a kick up the arse big style! Why I say this is simply because we stand 5th in the Premierleague table and our players have the ability to be pushing for 2nd, 3rd at least! This obviously means that our players are not trying hard enough.. knowing that they'll get away from a dressing room treatment!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #106: Feb 11, 2008 12:34:48 am
      Today they played well though, but I'm thinking when are we going to get a right hand man to sit beside Rafa?
      Yes we could of had a few attempts from long range, but the game was tight so it would of been difficult!
      Gerrard played well, I thought he made good passes time to time and he was running his arse off all match. I didn't fear Chelsea at all, I was calm that they wern't going to win after watching the first half. If we had Nando I think they would of played slightly deeper because of his pace!

Well hopefully Nando is back fit for the Inter game
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #107: Feb 11, 2008 12:54:03 am
      Of all the draws we've had this season this is the one we have to take the most heart from. All the players turned in respectable performances which rounded off in a great all round team display. The team played with a lot of passion, authority and composure for the most part and it was good to see a us dominate a game away from home, and at Stamford Bridge of all places. The successive short, sharp passes ran the Chavs ragged at times, the tackling was strong and assertive and we were comfortable for a huge percentage of the game.

'Out of sorts' players like Risse and Kuyt played very well, Kuyt especially. Whilst we have all become pretty restless with Kuyt's lack of goal scoring prowess it was after a performance like today's we see what a contribution he makes as a team player. Sure we'd all like to see him banging in goals left, right and centre but today much credit where due.

Another positive is to see the newer (and younger) players bedding in. After Skrtel's dodgy debut in the FA Cup he commanded his space well and showed us some of the potential Rafa saw in him by bringing him to the club. Babel is a time bomb I think. His raw energy coupled with his technical skill will pay dividends in time, no doubt about it.  Likewise with Lucas, another player with great potential and who better than Gerrard and Mascherano to show him the ropes. It was good to see Mascherano in form after a mammoth away fixture for Argentina.
      The upending of Mike Riley was comical and worth the return trip for sure! It will make make it on to many a funny football moments compilation for years to come!  :o :lmao:

1 point gained or 2 points dropped? The pessimist in me says 2 lost but the optimist says a point gained away from home, against the Chavs and with a commanding performance, (and without Torres). Sure it's a pity we didn't score but neither did they.
      Well played Liverpool.  ;) :kop5cf8koxp6:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #108: Feb 11, 2008 01:09:52 am
      Yes Babel99 is being negative but at the same time he has a good point. Liverpool should be fighting for 1st, 2nd but unfortunately they ain't. But I think we all know this right now, that we are underachieving very very badly.. the table doesn't lie and the players need a bollocking!

To be fair to babel99 Ra, he was reflecting on a draw when wanting a win with the past in mind and not looking at what progress we made on the field yesterday. And this thread is about the game against Chelsea afterall. If anyone thinks we should have gone to the bridge and destroyed Chelsea, given our recent form, then they obviously haven't been watching us play lately. Nevermind how hard it's been for anyone to go there in the league and get three points.

The players have needed a good bollocking for the last couple of months when you look at some of our performances. But it also needs noting when they actually play like a team, pass the ball well and prove a lot of people wrong that thought we were going to get destroyed ourselves yesterday.

All that was missing was a cutting edge up front. If you ask anyone would we have won with Torres on the pitch, I imagine the majority would say yes. That's an indication of how we've become to rely on him but then it's also an indication that we were good enough all round the pitch. Chelsea is a very hard place to go to and get a win. Quite a few teams go there and get beat. Given our form lately and our league position I thought our players had a right to think when they left the bridge that they have turned a corner and can progress from now on.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #109: Feb 11, 2008 01:29:20 am
      I understand what your saying RedKenny but come on, this Chelsea team we played are not the Chelsea team we use to play two, three years ago and we should be thankfull for that!

At the end of the day, Stamford Bridge or not.. Chelsea were terrible today and we should of made them pay for it. I don't care about reputations.. and thats what too many people seem to care about these days. Chelsea, Stamford Bridge.. so what! It's their performance which matters on the day and it was a crap one today which we failed to take advantage off!

Think the Chelsea players need a kick up the arse too, there lack of urgency since Mourinho has gone has been noticible.. only their quality is keeping them 3rd in the table!

Though I can't really blame anyone today, I think we always put it up a gear against the bigger teams.. just when we are playing midtable teams I don't see that urge from the Liverpool players until its nearly too late! The form of a team is all down to the players.. they decide what form we are going to be on and if its a bad form then they are to blame.. not the form!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #110: Feb 11, 2008 01:47:28 am
      I think you're being unfair when saying Chelsea were terrible. True, they weren't at the level they were a few years ago and they had one or two important players missing. But that's no excuse. They had players on the pitch who could easily damage us and we didn't let it happen. We frustrated them by passing the ball around in vital areas on the pitch, which is why the likes of Mascherano, Lucas and Skrtel have had special mentions.

RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #111: Feb 11, 2008 02:33:00 am
      At the end of the day, Stamford Bridge or not.. Chelsea were terrible today and we should of made them pay for it. I don't care about reputations.. and thats what too many people seem to care about these days. Chelsea, Stamford Bridge.. so what! It's their performance which matters on the day and it was a crap one today which we failed to take advantage of!

Reputations, like them or not are there because the business end ie getting results is where they stem from. Stamford Bridge has 2 back to back Premiership trophies from recent years, the week in week out side of the game. They are there or there about. How we would like to be even challenging for the top spot! If reputations count for nothing we should beat every team week in, week out. Today Liverpool showed a mature display, one that has been sadly lacking in many of our games this season, that is why we are where we are in the league. Fortress Anfield is not the case this season as we all frustratingly know. Reputations come from success and from success comes respect. If you draw away from home, respect. If you win away from home, success. If you should have won but didn't - you live to fight another day. Much success = a great reputation.

Chelsea were under par today for sure but the fact of the matter is whilst we dominated the game, we just didn't kill them off with a goal. Our trophies have come from knock-out tournaments which is okay in some small measure but not good enough when we think back to the heady days of the 70's and 80's. That's what we dream of, that's what we desire, continued success on a regular basis in the league but we still have a long way to go yet.

I think you're being unfair when saying Chelsea were terrible. True, they weren't at the level they were a few years ago and they had one or two important players missing. But that's no excuse. They had players on the pitch who could easily damage us and we didn't let it happen. We frustrated them by passing the ball around in vital areas on the pitch, which is why the likes of Mascherano, Lucas and Skrtel have had special mentions.

Good post Kenny, credit where it's due whoever the team. Congratulations on your 5000th post!  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #112: Feb 11, 2008 05:02:32 am
      I think looking at this match from a Chelsea perspective would be the same, if Drogba was in or something then they could have won it. 0-0 great result considering 76 matches unbeaten now at Stamford, you cant expect to go there and just win. Promising display, good signs and some confidence back in the side hopefully. Walk on lads!
      « Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008 05:05:20 am by crouchinho »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #113: Feb 11, 2008 06:13:07 am
      Anyone have a link to see the media conference before the match?
      Kop-Of-Malaya
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -4 
      • Kop The Best
      Reply #114: Feb 11, 2008 06:45:20 am
      yeah....good performance at all,but,this line-up wont be enough for strongly attacking....Lucas play left side??no for surely,he would play mid area.Why rafa subtistute Babel for pennant?i thought he most lively player in the first half.....and more lively as forward...lets recall Besiktas game at anfield...owh fabulous player playing as striker...

Quick Reply