Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Torres v Gerrard - Who Is More Important

Read 10702 times
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 881 posts | 25 
      Feb 10, 2008 06:00:47 am
      I know immediately you think gerrard but im just looking at it this way, we have many top midfielders but only one top striker. gerrard is in another class to masch and xabi (with all respect to them) but im starting to think that torres is giving us that cutting edge that we have needed for so long. basically I feel more confident with xabi stepping in for gerrard than I do with kuyt stepping in for torres.
      « Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008 01:24:52 am by redkenny »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Torres v Gerrard - Who Is More Important
      Reply #1: Feb 11, 2008 01:34:47 am
      It's ironic you had this thought before the Chelsea game, where obviously we lacked that cutting edge up front that Torres can bring. Yet Gerrard was on the pitch and couldn't provide that cutting edge going forward from the midfield.

Fair enough, Gerrard isn't fundamentally there to score goals but he has in the past brought that threat - in fact that much so that we've come to rely on him a bit too much I think. When he has a quiet game on the attacking front it's easy to miss out that he's doing his normal job in midfield.

I'd go with Gerrard. Brings more to the team all over the pitch.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #2: Feb 11, 2008 01:42:38 am
      At the moment I'd go with Torres. Simply because if Gerrard is out injured we've still got quality cover in the middle of the field - Mascherano, Lucas, Alonso.. but if Torres gets injured then who we got to give him quality cover upfront? Crouch? Kuyt? Voronin? Thats who and thats not quality cover in my eyes.

Asking who is the better player is a totally different question, but who's more important to Liverpool?
      Fernando Torres.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: Feb 11, 2008 05:36:03 am
      Torres. Gerrard isnt past it anyway but Torres has stepped up the level up front and SG has very suitable cover if he is out. Still love having both in though.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #4: Feb 11, 2008 06:52:32 am
      They are both important players in there own rights we miss Torres up front but if Gerrard isnt playing we miss him in the middle and when they both dont play we are completly fcuked.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #5: Feb 11, 2008 07:21:28 am
      Iain Rush for me
       :f_tongueincheek:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Feb 11, 2008 08:06:16 am
      Thats like going down memory lane again.Could you imagine Rush and Dalglish playing alongside Torres.
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #7: Feb 11, 2008 10:53:48 am
      Both fantastic assests for the team, let's not forget Carra too, Carra is also a key part of this football team!

Out of Torres and Gerrard, a tough decision....

But i would have Stevie G! , he is a complete player, all rounder and the most determined soul on a football field!
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #8: Feb 11, 2008 11:33:22 am
      heres the perfect team:

REINA
      CARRA           CARRA         CARRA      CARRA

GERRARD      GERRARD      GERRARD   GERRARD

TORRES       TORRES

They all have their roles to play, nobody is more important. Obviously the striker is more exiting than the defender or the mid........but still they all have their roles to play.
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #9: Feb 11, 2008 11:36:01 am
      heres the perfect team:

REINA
      CARRA           CARRA         CARRA      CARRA

GERRARD      GERRARD      GERRARD   GERRARD

TORRES       TORRES

They all have their roles to play, nobody is more important. Obviously the striker is more exiting than the defender or the mid........but still they all have their roles to play.

Ha Ha:

I would have this:

REINA

GERRARD      MASCH        GERRARD   GERRARD

TORRES       TORRES
      streety893
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts | -3 
      • Theres always hope in our hearts
      Reply #10: Feb 11, 2008 11:41:30 am
      No one player is more important than the other how can you rule out carragher after yesterdays performance :f_steam:

So to answer to the thread i cannot

Liverpool we are as one

THE 13TH MAN WINS HANDS DOWN

YNWA
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #11: Feb 11, 2008 12:25:21 pm
      Both fantastic assests for the team, let's not forget Carra too, Carra is also a key part of this football team!

Out of Torres and Gerrard, a tough decision....

But I would have Stevie G! , he is a complete player, all rounder and the most determined soul on a football field!

SteveiG no doubt a tremendous world-class player ...when IN FORM... which this season... we have seen very little of...
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #12: Feb 11, 2008 12:59:07 pm
      Ha Ha:

I would have this:

REINA

GERRARD      MASCH        GERRARD   GERRARD

TORRES       TORRES

I'd rather have two Mascherano's in there, could you imagine it, they'd be breaking peoples legs while still cleanly getting the ball. Twud be quality!

On the subject though, at the moment I'd prefer Torres. He's our only stand out striker.

Reina
      Finnan  Carra  Skertal  Riise
                     Masch
        Pennant  Gerrard  Babel
                 Kuyt Crouch

Or

Reina
      Finnan Carra Skertal Riise
                   Masch
       Pennant  Lucas  Babel
             Crouch Torres

Which team would you rather see? I'd definitely prefer team 2.  ;D
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #13: Feb 11, 2008 02:20:56 pm
      neither are more important. I think your'e mad to think either masch, alonso or lucas can do gerrards job the way he does. and the same for the others strikers doing fernandos job.

They are both key players and that is it neither more or less important than the other.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #14: Feb 11, 2008 03:57:04 pm
      I would personally say Gerrard because when he hasnt played in the past we have really struggled. Torres is a vital player in the team but in other season we have been able to get goals, like crouch got 19 last season and that was before we signed Torres so thats why I would say Gerrard is more important. He is the heartbeat of the team along with Carra and he rallies the team on to victory. Give it 2 or 3 seasons then without a doubt Torres will be more important
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #15: Feb 11, 2008 07:22:56 pm
      I don't thikn it's necessary to choose who is more important for us.
      They are both important for us! It's a question of the same type as asking a child who he/she loves the most mother or father! Because we all know that for a child the presence of both mother and father is important!

In football team everyone is important. For there are unimportant players. Team is a mechanism where every one plays his role and has his place.
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #16: Feb 11, 2008 07:30:34 pm
      gerrard forever will be the more important
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #17: Feb 11, 2008 07:37:10 pm
      I don't thikn it's necessary to choose who is more important for us.
      They are both important for us! It's a question of the same type as asking a child who he/she loves the most mother or father! Because we all know that for a child the presence of both mother and father is important!

In football team everyone is important. For there are unimportant players. Team is a mechanism where every one plays his role and has his place.
      Well said Alessio! In a team it is not who is more important, because all 11 players are as important as each other - they all take collective responsibility and when Torres scores a last minute winner against Man United at Old Trafford, it is a team effort that wins the game rather then one player. All for one and United we stand, divided we fall.
      « Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008 07:48:34 pm by F9T »
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,223 posts | 1646 
      Reply #18: Feb 11, 2008 09:23:04 pm
      No one player is more important than the other how can you rule out carragher after yesterdays performance :f_steam:

So to answer to the thread I cannot

Liverpool we are as one

THE 13TH MAN WINS HANDS DOWN

YNWA
      Whose that the ref? ;)
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #19: Feb 11, 2008 10:27:29 pm
      torres without a doubt is nmore important to LFC.
      we have plenty of more than capable midfielders to fill in for gerrard
      but only one striker with pace and any quality of torres.
      ok so crouch comes close but overall we are like pammie anderson, we have nowt up top but a great mid section!

gerrard can and shoudl play more on the right to cover our awful flanks !!!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #20: Feb 11, 2008 11:35:59 pm
      neither are more important. I think your'e mad to think either masch, alonso or lucas can do gerrards job the way he does. and the same for the others strikers doing fernandos job.

They are both key players and that is it neither more or less important than the other.

Your wrong! A midfielder has many jobs to do, a striker has one job to do and that is to put the ball in the back of the net and thats what Torres can do and Kuyt, Crouch & Voronin can't do!

So really Kuyt & Crouch are not doing their jobs properly, simply because they are not scoring or helping us score even. Mascherano is doing a far better job than Gerrard this season, so I think Mascherano is probably just as important as Gerrard is at the moment. I don't look to the reputations, I look at the performances over a fair amount of recent time.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #21: Feb 11, 2008 11:50:07 pm
      At the moment I feel Torres is more important, simply because if Stevie was missing from the team we still have enough good players to create chances for the front men, but if Torres was missing then we could create chances but may still not put them away.

This may be over simplifying things and both players still bring a lot to the team but overall we would miss Torres more than Gerrard this season.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #22: Feb 11, 2008 11:52:00 pm
      Sometimes I don't think any of our players create many chances, I feel that Torres is the one who creates his own chances and he takes those chances well. Put him in the Arsenal or Man Utd team and he would of scored over 20 Prem goals by now... easily!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #23: Feb 11, 2008 11:55:05 pm
      Sometimes I don't think any of our players create chances, I feel that Torres is the one who creates his own chances and he takes those chances well. Put him in the Arsenal or Man Utd team and he would of scored over 20 Prem goals by now... easily!

I know what you mean, that's why I wrote 'could create chances'!!

One of my biggest frustrations over the last couple of months is the lack of creativity from the team, particularly in the last third of the pitch.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #24: Feb 12, 2008 12:08:06 am
      I know what you mean, that's why I wrote 'could create chances'!!

One of my biggest frustrations over the last couple of months is the lack of creativity from the team, particularly in the last third of the pitch.

This is where we need a creative midfielder. Yet again on average 5 changes per game.. I feel the players get confused and play becomes disjointed. Remember there are partnerships all over the field.. players need to know each others games. Like link up play between the full back and the winger.. they learn each others game and they work hard for each other, same with the front two.. they know when to drop off and who and when to make the runs. It's all about partnerships all over the field, but there isn't any if there is an average of 5 changes per game.

I feel creativity is at its best when there is a settled team playing, 5 changes a week is not a settled team. This is why we don't move forward in momentum, or urgency!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #25: Feb 12, 2008 06:28:47 am
      Torres - irreplacable. Gerrard - replaceable.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #26: Feb 12, 2008 07:36:51 am
      At the moment, maybe Torres...
      But Gerrard is one of the best midfielders in the world.
      It's sort of hard to compare because of the positions they play
      MsGerrard
      Reply #27: Feb 12, 2008 10:47:17 am
      They are equally important to the success of the team, when they are both on form the team is buzzing, although at this moment in time we haven't got anyone good enough to replace Torres if he is out through injury or suspension, we do have other midfield players to cover for Gerrard, they may not be as good as him but the cover is adequate. :)
      sabrina
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 95 posts |
      Reply #28: Feb 12, 2008 12:03:42 pm
      gerrard!!!!!! he is a true scouser, but torres although a good player is nothing compared 2 gerrrd, gerrard carries r team he is an outstanding captain nd my hero x
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #29: Feb 12, 2008 12:35:52 pm
      Why don't we put a poll up, then we can see what us LFC fans really think is the most importnant to Liverpool in this moment of time!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #30: Feb 12, 2008 12:48:58 pm
      Torres still has a lot to prove to the footballing world. Fernando, hasn't won a single thing at club or intl level...yet.

Gerrard's been there done there and done it at club level - and just needs to keep doing it for us.

Between them and backed up by Masch and Carra and Pepe we have a truly world-class spine-of-a-team to die for - we should be WINNING things, this season, with this quality of player in our XI...and you know what? We WILL.

IRWT
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #31: Feb 12, 2008 01:23:11 pm
      Sometimes I don't think any of our players create many chances, I feel that Torres is the one who creates his own chances and he takes those chances well. Put him in the Arsenal or Man Utd team and he would of scored over 20 Prem goals by now... easily!

Torres would have more goals if he wasn't out injured for about a month earlier on in the season. But ronaldo only has that many goals because he takes all the penalties and free kicks, LFC vary their takers and rely on torres and gerrard to get all the goals but united only rely on ronaldo, he is there only player to be in double figures and adebayor is arsenals only player in double figures. gerrard is closing in on 20 goals and torres will get his 20th nxt time he plays and it wont be long before they both get 20 in the league too providing they play to their best week in week out
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #32: Feb 12, 2008 01:59:17 pm
      Gerrard
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #33: Feb 12, 2008 02:01:20 pm
      After reading through some of these posts Ive come to a conclusion.

Neither of em, the most important is us the fans as we pay their wages simple as really!!
      red1
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #34: Feb 12, 2008 11:36:25 pm
      It's got to be Gerrard, he can score goals, apart from motivating rest of players, Torres couldn't motavate other players in the same way
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #35: Feb 12, 2008 11:51:32 pm
      It's got to be Gerrard, he can score goals, apart from motivating rest of players, Torres couldn't motavate other players in the same way

To be honest i would not want torres to be the player who has to motivate the team, in my eyes torres just has to keep scoring the goals and putting in great performances because if he is having to motivate the players then it will just be like he at athletico madrid, although there is pressure on him to score goals its different pressure from motivating a team and he is too young and inexperienced to be doing that so leave that part to stevie. bt both as important as each other, they both play vital roles and are both part of the spine
      red1
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #36: Feb 13, 2008 12:00:09 am
      Gerrard, he's a scouser, he motovates other players, turns things around when its needed.Torres is a great striker and irreplaceable, but Gerrard is magic
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #37: Feb 13, 2008 01:35:54 am
      I reckon there just as important as each other. both got key attributes to add more depth to the team, both have there own style but both just as equally important to the team
      Yawaray
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -2 
      Reply #38: Feb 13, 2008 01:54:58 am
      They are both very important for us. Do we forget things so soon. Where's the Atarturk night in Istanbul. Where was Torres. torres hasnt won anything for us and that is a yardstick for measuring a player's success. Hopefully Torress would win so many trophies for us but we have to respect those who never let us down. Lympiacus, AC millan Istanbul, F.A cup final westham-cardiff etc. torres has to work hard to acheive what Gerrard has managed to achieve. gerrard is a legend whose name would reigh for a long long time. I've been a Torres fan from Athletico though but that wouldnt deter me from making an unbiased end empirical judgement. Gerrard is more important take it or leave it.
      Yawaray
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -2 
      Reply #39: Feb 13, 2008 01:58:07 am
      we need players like Huntelaar to help torres in scoring the goals and Quaresma to add more creativity to our team and score goals too.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #40: Feb 13, 2008 10:25:59 am
      we need players like Huntelaar to help torres in scoring the goals and Quaresma to add more creativity to our team and score goals too.

Yeah we know, but tell that to Hicks who holds the purse strings matey... we down to third or worse buying options with our player budgets.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      Reply #41: Feb 13, 2008 10:32:51 am
      If i had a choice of buying Gerrard or Torres, I'd say Gerrard everyday. Torres may be playing better at the moment, but Gerrard'll be back. He IS a legend
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #42: Feb 13, 2008 11:57:01 am
      Can't choose...

Both carry so much weight in different ways. Too hard to seperate them.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #43: Feb 13, 2008 09:00:23 pm
      Gerrard, he's a scouser, he motovates other players, turns things around when its needed.Torres is a great striker and irreplaceable, but Gerrard is magic

Hit the nail on the head there! Gerrard's all round work ethic is usually unfaltering.
      As captain of Liverpool FC andField Marshal General (like the play on words? ;) ) Gerrard knits the team together from defence to attack.

* Gerrard has the heart of a Lion and leads by example. He will take the pride and passion he has when he pulls on the RED shirt and inject his spirit into those around him, Carragher too does the same, I think it's a Scouse thing!  ;)

* On the ball his passing, as we all know, is sometimes quite legendary. He can play the short ball for sure but those incisive 30 / 40 yard balls into space or to feet are one of his trademark assets.
      At the stroke of his right boot possibilities just open up, it's that simple.

* Gerrard's ability to carve a goal scoring opportunity from nothing also proves what a killer instinct he has. Olympiakos, Istanbul, Cardiff (2), Villa Park Aug 07 - so, so many and some so, so vital.

* If the opposition has the ball Gerrard wants it too and invariably will get it, no matter what. He takes no prisoners and has a do or die approach to his defensive game.

* Off the field Gerrard has inspired generations both young and old. People the world over admire his "right here, right now" grit and determination - no matter which team they may or may not support. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression and Gerrard has captained both his club and country to this end.

With all my praise for Gerrard it might seem that I don't rate Torres' in comparison but that would be a wild miscalculation!

This is Torres's first season after all and the question is "Who is more important?" You shouldn't normally answer a question with a question but I would say "At what?"

Torres is a predatory striker, sniffing out any opportunity to bang the ball in the back of the net and he can, handsomely! His game is not as complex as Gerrard's with tracking back to steal the ball to get it out to the wingers or up to the strikers - because he is one! His primary role is to be the last man prowling around the opposition's defense, ready to strike the killer blow.
      His contribution to Liverpool FC in his first season has been fantastic with 18 goals in all competitions. He has built up such a reputation we actually cannot afford for him to be absent through injury. His potency in front of goal, whilst not honed to perfection, is clear for all to see, that's why we paid 24 million for him!

To summerize:
      Torres is an out and out goal scorer for me.
      Gerrard is a jack of all trades; defending / tackling, linking / assisting and goal scoring too.
      Both very good at what they do but the question is...

Who is more important?

Imagine Liverpool FC without Steven Gerrard, I bet it makes you feel very uncomfortable... 

How ' ard? GERRARD!
      « Last Edit: Feb 13, 2008 10:02:08 pm by RED1028 »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #44: Feb 13, 2008 09:14:34 pm
      Thanks Red, I thoroughly enjoyed that video !!  Every one  of them goals was a peach  ;)  The goalies sh*t themselves when they see him coming one on one  ;D  Couldn't decide on my favourite though, but if pushed probably Olympiakos or West Ham  ;) ;D ;D

lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #45: Feb 13, 2008 10:45:35 pm
      Steven Gerrard is simply amazing. When he isnt at his best it frustrates me because i want him to be at his best and i think fair enough people like Ronaldo have all this flair and skill and play great but im sorry Steven Gerrard in full flow is a real sight to behold, No one else in the world can do what he does.

His passion and determination is second to none. He is the best player i have ever seen play the game and iv'e been to a match in which Zizou played. Im only 18 so i never really got to see other liverpool greats such as Rush and King Kenny, Iv'e grown up watching stevie and he is a man i idolise. His attitude and hunger for success is amazing and i really want to see him win the EPL before he hangs up his boots, if anyone in the league deserves it, its him.

As for Torres what can i say, Seeing him running with the ball is amazing, its a game of what is he going to do next. His goals against Marseille and Chelsea were simply breathtaking, theres something about the way in which he moves with the ball that tells you he is about to pull off something amazing. I love to watch him play and the things that make him even more impressive is his age and the fact that this is his first season in a new country.

Hearing that he will get better seems unbelievable given how good he already is and just imagine him with someone world class alongside him upfront. I love the way that he plays and his tactical awareness. He always seems to know what he's doing and before he has done it he knows what he's going to do, its great and im so thankful he is playing for us.

Torres and Gerrard compliment each other so well and i think add ryan babel to their partnership next season and we will see some amazing football being played.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #46: Feb 13, 2008 11:03:43 pm
      Fantastic Post RED 1028, sums up my feelings exactly :D

Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      Reply #47: Feb 14, 2008 08:40:44 am
      Yeah, anyone that can sum it up the way RED1028 summed it up is a genius. Great post
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #48: Feb 14, 2008 12:53:55 pm
      They are both equelly important to the team but for different reasons take one out and the team suffers take the other out same problem but if you really had to push me at this moment because of the lack of cover we would miss Torres more and only because at this moment we have cover for Gerrard but for Torres none.....
      sjjkopite
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #49: Feb 14, 2008 02:34:22 pm
      we would be lost without either of them.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #50: Feb 14, 2008 05:50:34 pm
      Come on Torres as been here 6 months and has done very well but long before he arrived how many times has Gerrard pulled us out of trouble. I myself take him for granted but not anymore. Hes class has been our main man for 6 years now and in my opinion is up there with Dalglish and Souness as our best ever 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #51: Feb 15, 2008 01:04:44 pm
      I think the way way RED put it made me think that Gerrard is more important but in what way? Liverpool without Gerrard isnt LFC but we do have very compitent back up so his passion is the thing we will sorely miss not talent per say. Torres, he will be sorely missed if he isnt up front. Gerrard is LFC, Torres is the LFC of the future.

Terrific post RED, sensational.

PS: Number 9 on the first vid shows his Scouse-ness.
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #52: Feb 15, 2008 05:26:53 pm
      stupid question
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #53: Feb 15, 2008 05:38:05 pm

Fancy telling us why?
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #54: Feb 15, 2008 08:51:36 pm
      Hit the nail on the head there! Gerrard's all round work ethic is usually unfaltering.
      As captain of Liverpool FC andField Marshal General (like the play on words? ;) ) Gerrard knits the team together from defence to attack.

* Gerrard has the heart of a Lion and leads by example. He will take the pride and passion he has when he pulls on the RED shirt and inject his spirit into those around him, Carragher too does the same, I think it's a Scouse thing!  ;)

* On the ball his passing, as we all know, is sometimes quite legendary. He can play the short ball for sure but those incisive 30 / 40 yard balls into space or to feet are one of his trademark assets.
      At the stroke of his right boot possibilities just open up, it's that simple.

* Gerrard's ability to carve a goal scoring opportunity from nothing also proves what a killer instinct he has. Olympiakos, Istanbul, Cardiff (2), Villa Park Aug 07 - so, so many and some so, so vital.

* If the opposition has the ball Gerrard wants it too and invariably will get it, no matter what. He takes no prisoners and has a do or die approach to his defensive game.

* Off the field Gerrard has inspired generations both young and old. People the world over admire his "right here, right now" grit and determination - no matter which team they may or may not support. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression and Gerrard has captained both his club and country to this end.

With all my praise for Gerrard it might seem that I don't rate Torres' in comparison but that would be a wild miscalculation!

This is Torres's first season after all and the question is "Who is more important?" You shouldn't normally answer a question with a question but I would say "At what?"

Torres is a predatory striker, sniffing out any opportunity to bang the ball in the back of the net and he can, handsomely! His game is not as complex as Gerrard's with tracking back to steal the ball to get it out to the wingers or up to the strikers - because he is one! His primary role is to be the last man prowling around the opposition's defense, ready to strike the killer blow.
      His contribution to Liverpool FC in his first season has been fantastic with 18 goals in all competitions. He has built up such a reputation we actually cannot afford for him to be absent through injury. His potency in front of goal, whilst not honed to perfection, is clear for all to see, that's why we paid 24 million for him!

To summerize:
      Torres is an out and out goal scorer for me.
      Gerrard is a jack of all trades; defending / tackling, linking / assisting and goal scoring too.
      Both very good at what they do but the question is...

Who is more important?

Imagine Liverpool FC without Steven Gerrard, I bet it makes you feel very uncomfortable... 

How ' ard? GERRARD!

It's great post. But I can assure you that some years ago for us, people leaving Easten Europe it was Owen who was the face of Liverpool. And if people where I live had been asked 5 years ago who was important for Liverpool, would have answered Owen. Because many who considered him as a main Liverpool representer. I can tell with assurance, because I know such people who knew Liverpool only by Owen.
      stiffler
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 137 posts |
      Reply #55: Feb 15, 2008 09:02:40 pm
      Gerrard simply is LIVERPOOL.

Torres is simlpy a pretender to the crown at this stage of his career.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #56: Feb 16, 2008 12:21:25 am
      Yea definitely Gerrard for me too he represents everything that Liverpool FC stands for, the passion, the pride, the goals, the glory with the cup wins and the heartache with the exits.  I remember watching the England v Croatia game when we went out and the look on Stevie's face at the end said it all.  When Liverpool or England don't get through to the later stages of the major competitions it's disappointing but something that you have to deal with, bearing that in mind you go tell Gerrard that.

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #57: Feb 16, 2008 01:29:18 am
      I think the Torres v Gerrard thing in the title of this thread is why some people have rightly said neither of them. Both brilliant Liverpool players that are on the same team. So there is no need for the 'v'.

But, when Torres doesn't score a goal when he plays, has he been important?

I said that Gerrard was more important because he can have an influence all over the pitch. I'm sure if we had another striker or two that could really influence our attack, the debate would probably be who's more important up front. But that's not the case, so Gerrard comes into the equation because he can really influence things in the attack.

When you think about it, is that really fair?
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #58: Feb 16, 2008 06:57:09 am
      I think the Torres v Gerrard thing in the title of this thread is why some people have rightly said neither of them. Both brilliant Liverpool players that are on the same team. So there is no need for the 'v'.

But, when Torres doesn't score a goal when he plays, has he been important?

I said that Gerrard was more important because he can have an influence all over the pitch. I'm sure if we had another striker or two that could really influence our attack, the debate would probably be who's more important up front. But that's not the case, so Gerrard comes into the equation because he can really influence things in the attack.

When you think about it, is that really fair?

i understand where your coming from kenny but i think the whole point of the question has been misunderstood.

i just want to clarify for everyone,i think gerrard is the better player simply because he is phenomenol anywhere on the pitch. and i'm not taking him for granted because just as many people have said already gerrard is liverpool.

but my whole point to the thread was with the squad we currently have who is more important. i asked it regardless of age or time spent at the club, just at the present time who's abilities are we more in need of considering the cover that both of them have.

i just wanted to get some other people's opinions on it, didn't want to start a big discussion where people seem to have been a bit offended. and 'camara' its not a stupid question, i think its a pretty valid one. maybe you should spend a bit more time and constuct a post explaining why its stupid!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #59: Feb 16, 2008 02:20:43 pm
      who's abilities are we more in need of considering the cover that both of them have.

Then that is Torres, we have nothing up front with out Nando, although Gerrard is our midfield maestro there is Alonso Lucas and Masch to come in to the centre role and possibly Benny.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      Reply #60: Feb 17, 2008 12:44:41 am
      We didn't have Torres or Gerrard (for 75 mins) and look what happened to us against BARNSLEY. A team not even in the premier league.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #61: Feb 17, 2008 03:48:49 pm
      They are both important players in there own rights we miss Torres up front but if Gerrard isnt playing we miss him in the middle and when they both dont play we are completly fcuked.

What did i tell you no Gerrard or Torres v Barnsley and look what happened.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #62: Feb 17, 2008 10:44:31 pm
      Yesterday I said Torres today I say Gerrard after a little thought the guy hardly ever goes missing and how many times is he our driving force and match winner so I agree with all eleven we always have a chance.  ???
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #63: Feb 18, 2008 02:25:06 am
      This is the most pointless topic ever.

Gerrard and Torres are in the spine of the squad.
      CapnEvil
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #64: Feb 18, 2008 03:16:55 am

Well said.
      RedWilly

• 9,223 posts | 1646 
      Reply #65: Feb 18, 2008 11:37:43 pm
      This thread is F***ing ridiculous, we aren't Steven Gerrard FC or Fernando Torres FC, we are Liverpool FC, without the rest of the team around them, it don't matter how skilled they are, with out the rest of the team, they would be nothing, in my eyes everyone in the team is as equally important as the next man.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #66: Feb 19, 2008 09:13:55 am
      Gerrard is more important for me. Torres is a good striker, but i have seen it a lot of times when he should be passing the ball instead of going for glory. He still needs to be less selfish with the ball. it was fun initially when he could go past three defenders and score. Now he needs to pass the ball when he has been denied access by the opposition. Gerrard on the other hand is doing his job excellently.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #67: Feb 20, 2008 03:21:39 am

i agree, reina, carra, gerrard, torres are probably the spine of the team. but thats not the point of the thread, im saying if one of them was out, who would you prefer? its just a question, if you dont like it dont comment

This thread is F***ing ridiculous, we aren't Steven Gerrard FC or Fernando Torres FC, we are Liverpool FC, without the rest of the team around them, it don't matter how skilled they are, with out the rest of the team, they would be nothing, in my eyes everyone in the team is as equally important as the next man.

liverbird, cmon be honest here! yes we are a team but in every team some players are more important than others. if you had to choose someone to play up front dont tell me you'd pick, lets say, voronin over torres because it doesn't matter cos everyone is "equally important"!
      RedWilly

• 9,223 posts | 1646 
      Reply #68: Feb 20, 2008 10:52:02 am
      I agree, reina, carra, gerrard, torres are probably the spine of the team. but thats not the point of the thread, im saying if one of them was out, who would you prefer? its just a question, if you dont like it dont comment

liverbird, cmon be honest here! yes we are a team but in every team some players are more important than others. if you had to choose someone to play up front dont tell me you'd pick, lets say, voronin over torres because it doesn't matter cos everyone is "equally important"!
      Well obviously i wouldn't! What's happened to Voronin anyway, i haven't seen him for ages! I know what everyone means but it does my head in all this 'whose better' and 'whose more important', can't stand it!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #69: Feb 20, 2008 11:01:16 am
      What's happened to Voronin anyway, i haven't seen him for ages!

He's injured, check out this thread: http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,6115.0.html
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #70: Feb 20, 2008 11:08:01 am
      If they both played in the same position i could see the relevance of the question but as they both have different roles to play within a team i don't see how you can pick one or the other.
      Without Torres we would certainly score less and have hardly any movement up front, without Gerrard Torres wouldn't have half as many chances to score and would forever be dropping deep for a sight of the ball.
      If i can put it like this, i like custard and i like apple crumble, now on there own they are alright but put them together and wow what a combination!! You cant separate them as they go together, you cant even ask who do we need more Reina or Gerrard as they are both world class at their jobs, but on the other hand Itjande or Gerrard you can compare and i will help load the gun! ;D
      Never thought i would use food to describe a footballing point of view ;D
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #71: Feb 20, 2008 11:11:57 am
      Gerrard is world-class as a wing/libero... in a purely midfield role, he is good, but not world-class.

Thought Inter had Fernando in their pockets last night (apart from the rebound 1-on-1 chance) ...Nando was VERY angry through the game (muttering rude words in spanish the entire game, probably within earshot of the Argies marking him)...which is a good thing... show want and passion.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #72: Feb 20, 2008 12:00:13 pm
      If they both played in the same position I could see the relevance of the question but as they both have different roles to play within a team I don't see how you can pick one or the other.
      Without Torres we would certainly score less and have hardly any movement up front, without Gerrard Torres wouldn't have half as many chances to score and would forever be dropping deep for a sight of the ball.
      If I can put it like this, I like custard and I like apple crumble, now on there own they are alright but put them together and wow what a combination!! You cant separate them as they go together, you cant even ask who do we need more Reina or Gerrard as they are both world class at their jobs, but on the other hand Itjande or Gerrard you can compare and I will help load the gun! ;D
      Never thought I would use food to describe a footballing point of view ;D

That's the Chef coming out in you :o  Nice one Glenbuck :lmao:
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #73: Feb 20, 2008 01:39:41 pm
      I wouldn't say Inter had Torres in their pockets, they contained him well but it took a lot of resources which is part of the reason Inter offered very little going forward, even before they lost a man.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #74: Feb 20, 2008 02:11:16 pm
      No way did Inter have Torres in their pockets. They couldn't handle him at all in the first half and they had to resort to fouling him. Reason why Materazzi got sent off!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #75: Feb 20, 2008 02:29:32 pm
      I wouldn't say Inter had Torres in their pockets, they contained him well but it took a lot of resources which is part of the reason Inter offered very little going forward, even before they lost a man.

Do you contain things in your pockets?

Semantics will get you everywhere...
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #76: Feb 20, 2008 02:51:36 pm
      No way did Inter have Torres in their pockets. They couldn't handle him at all in the first half and they had to resort to fouling him. Reason why Materazzi got sent off!

Oh look it's Eddie's echo.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #77: Feb 20, 2008 03:00:32 pm

Be quiet you!!!
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #78: Feb 20, 2008 05:55:28 pm
      You cant really compare the two. When Torres has been with Liverpool as long and done as much for us as Gerrard has in recent years, then maybe we can compare the two, but Torres is new and nowhere near Gerrard's status but the best is yet to come. YNWA
      sjkreds
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 142 posts |
      • Reincarnation anyone?
      Reply #79: Feb 23, 2008 12:55:28 pm
      Hmmm....
      Quite a tricky one,
      When It came to deciding who's name would be on the back of my jersey this year, I went with Torres even though he hadn't stepped on the pitch at Anfield yet. ( to be fair i already have a jersey with Gerrard on it !)
      I watch a fiar bit of La Liga and always though he was built for the EPL more then spain, I think thats nearly point proven as he has nearly already scored more goals this season then he has at any with athletico.
      Torres is one of the most complete strikers in the league. He can poach goals, beat miriads of defenders, volley brilliantly , or bang it in from 25+ yards. He's incredibly qucik and strong, has a clinical finish and is strong in the air.
      He is with out a doubt a match winner, he has in a short time become crucial to liverpool.

But, Gerrard to me still embodies Liverpool and is the only player on the pitch who can pick up this team and carry them on his back to victory. he lifts players around him.

And for that reason Gerrard is more  ( holy F**k mike dean just sent of taylor two minutes into the game with arsenal!)
      important to us. ( Eduardo looks to have broken his leg badly as a result  of the tackle)

i think the fact that many feel more confident with alonso in for stevie G then kuyt for torres, speaks more to the quality of alonso.
      ( adebayors hair cut makes him llook like kolo toure)

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #80: Feb 23, 2008 01:09:59 pm
      Hmmm....
      Quite a tricky one,
      When It came to deciding who's name would be on the back of my jersey this year, I went with Torres even though he hadn't stepped on the pitch at Anfield yet. ( to be fair I already have a jersey with Gerrard on it !)
      I watch a fiar bit of La Liga and always though he was built for the EPL more then spain, I think thats nearly point proven as he has nearly already scored more goals this season then he has at any with athletico.
      Torres is one of the most complete strikers in the league. He can poach goals, beat miriads of defenders, volley brilliantly , or bang it in from 25+ yards. He's incredibly qucik and strong, has a clinical finish and is strong in the air.
      He is with out a doubt a match winner, he has in a short time become crucial to liverpool.

But, Gerrard to me still embodies Liverpool and is the only player on the pitch who can pick up this team and carry them on his back to victory. he lifts players around him.

And for that reason Gerrard is more  ( holy F**k mike dean just sent of taylor two minutes into the game with arsenal!)
      important to us. ( Eduardo looks to have broken his leg badly as a result  of the tackle)

I think the fact that many feel more confident with alonso in for stevie G then kuyt for torres, speaks more to the quality of alonso.
      ( adebayors hair cut makes him llook like kolo toure)

hahahah love the way you interrupted yourself there with updates.
      sjkreds
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 142 posts |
      • Reincarnation anyone?
      Reply #81: Feb 23, 2008 01:37:33 pm
      yeah Im a bit of a wanna be match caller, did anyone get a look at the tackle? must have been bad, eduardo was stretched off with an oxygen mask and some of the arsenal players looked like they were gonna barf. They wont even show a replay its that graphic.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #82: Feb 23, 2008 05:10:11 pm
      Oh gawd.. makes you wonder doesn't it!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #83: Feb 23, 2008 05:25:40 pm
      Oh gawd.. makes you wonder doesn't it!

Don't stress Ra Ra, they're both important in different ways - end of.  ;)
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #84: Feb 24, 2008 09:27:01 pm
      Who is more important for Gerrard and Torres? I think It's Liverpool.
      Who is more important Gerrard or Torres? I think it's Liverpool.
      sjkreds
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 142 posts |
      • Reincarnation anyone?
      Reply #85: Feb 25, 2008 09:32:03 am

You read my mind, i am a massive fan of  Huntelaar, if you count all his games for club and country he has  152 goals in 210 games and counting. He scored 33 goals in 31   games last year for ajax in the eridivise and has a shitload agian this season, all this at the age of 24!

and quaresema ( who unfortunately just extended his contract with FC Porto), well they dont call him harry potter for nothing a true wizard full of magic on the wing.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #86: Feb 25, 2008 11:26:49 am

You read my mind, I am a massive fan of  Huntelaar, if you count all his games for club and country he has  152 goals in 210 games and counting. He scored 33 goals in 31   games last year for ajax in the eridivise and has a shitload agian this season, all this at the age of 24!

and quaresema ( who unfortunately just extended his contract with FC Porto), well they dont call him harry potter for nothing a true wizard full of magic on the wing.

Signing contracts means nothing today, just a way to keep his value up in the market. He wont stay at Porto his whole career, for his sake lets hope he doesnt make the move too late like Simao did.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #87: Feb 25, 2008 02:11:49 pm
      True, im sure momo signed a new deal with us just before he left. I would love us to get quaresma but the amount seems so high, not that he isnt worth it just money seems so tight right now.

In terms of huntelaar, i dont know what to think of his goal tally, the dutch league seems like it has nothing on the premiership. Sometimes i watch dutch games and see huntelaar on his hattrick and the opposition defenders wont even be marking him its a joke. I worry whether he could cut it in the prem.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #88: Feb 25, 2008 07:26:35 pm
      Poor Real want to pay for Gerrard 50 millions Euro to Liverpool!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #89: Feb 25, 2008 07:30:24 pm
      alessio, please don't listen to rumours, usually a load of b*llocks  ;)  Please attach your 'source' to your post, cheers 
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #90: Feb 25, 2008 07:53:29 pm
      The rafinha one isnt a rumour its his own words but the gerrard thing was in a few papers the other day i think.

Out of interest why has the who would you want us to buy thread been closed, wouldnt it have been easier to just change it to who would you want us to buy in the summer therefore all the transfer information with players where are linked to can stay in one thread rather than being spread around about five like it has started in here.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #91: Feb 26, 2008 08:05:58 am
      I don't really think one is more important than the other. It is a team game, Gerrard has been the difference in matches more than Torres over their years at Liverpool but you cannot compare.
      sjkreds
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 142 posts |
      • Reincarnation anyone?
      Reply #92: Feb 26, 2008 09:32:11 am
      True, im sure momo signed a new deal with us just before he left. I would love us to get quaresma but the amount seems so high, not that he isnt worth it just money seems so tight right now.

In terms of huntelaar, i dont know what to think of his goal tally, the dutch league seems like it has nothing on the premiership. Sometimes i watch dutch games and see huntelaar on his hattrick and the opposition defenders wont even be marking him its a joke. I worry whether he could cut it in the prem.

true, the 0-0-10 formation is widely used in the eiredivise. but can you argue with the players its produced, particulary ajax?
      Presco
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts | -3 
      Reply #93: Feb 27, 2008 07:53:35 am
      I don't really think one is more important than the other. It is a team game, Gerrard has been the difference in matches more than Torres over their years at Liverpool but you cannot compare.
      Torres and Gerrad both are very important but if i should chose cos between two things one must chose one i prefer Gerrad cos of his way of play and he is a one defence mid field and he plays well.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #94: Feb 27, 2008 07:09:01 pm
      alessio, please don't listen to rumours, usually a load of b*llocks  ;)  Please attach your 'source' to your post, cheers 

I would like to attach my source, but you don't understand anything there, because it's in Russian, Smigger15!
      do you want still to see that source?
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #95: Feb 27, 2008 07:10:14 pm
      I heard about the speculation.  alessio, just ignore them because we get the rumours every season.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #96: Feb 27, 2008 07:18:22 pm
      I think without the two of them, we'd be pretty much doomed!

This obviously means we need more match winners!
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #97: Feb 27, 2008 07:54:25 pm
      I heard about the speculation.  alessio, just ignore them because we get the rumours every season.

I know that, Court! But that news make me laugh! How Real can be so naive? I thought simply their capacity to buy everything that shines passed away!

Quick Reply