Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Torres v Gerrard - Who Is More Important

Read 10705 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Re: Torres v Gerrard - Who Is More Important
      Reply #23: Feb 11, 2008 11:55:05 pm
      Sometimes I don't think any of our players create chances, I feel that Torres is the one who creates his own chances and he takes those chances well. Put him in the Arsenal or Man Utd team and he would of scored over 20 Prem goals by now... easily!

I know what you mean, that's why I wrote 'could create chances'!!

One of my biggest frustrations over the last couple of months is the lack of creativity from the team, particularly in the last third of the pitch.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #24: Feb 12, 2008 12:08:06 am
      I know what you mean, that's why I wrote 'could create chances'!!

One of my biggest frustrations over the last couple of months is the lack of creativity from the team, particularly in the last third of the pitch.

This is where we need a creative midfielder. Yet again on average 5 changes per game.. I feel the players get confused and play becomes disjointed. Remember there are partnerships all over the field.. players need to know each others games. Like link up play between the full back and the winger.. they learn each others game and they work hard for each other, same with the front two.. they know when to drop off and who and when to make the runs. It's all about partnerships all over the field, but there isn't any if there is an average of 5 changes per game.

I feel creativity is at its best when there is a settled team playing, 5 changes a week is not a settled team. This is why we don't move forward in momentum, or urgency!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25: Feb 12, 2008 06:28:47 am
      Torres - irreplacable. Gerrard - replaceable.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #26: Feb 12, 2008 07:36:51 am
      At the moment, maybe Torres...
      But Gerrard is one of the best midfielders in the world.
      It's sort of hard to compare because of the positions they play
      MsGerrard
      Reply #27: Feb 12, 2008 10:47:17 am
      They are equally important to the success of the team, when they are both on form the team is buzzing, although at this moment in time we haven't got anyone good enough to replace Torres if he is out through injury or suspension, we do have other midfield players to cover for Gerrard, they may not be as good as him but the cover is adequate. :)
      sabrina
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 95 posts |
      Reply #28: Feb 12, 2008 12:03:42 pm
      gerrard!!!!!! he is a true scouser, but torres although a good player is nothing compared 2 gerrrd, gerrard carries r team he is an outstanding captain nd my hero x
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #29: Feb 12, 2008 12:35:52 pm
      Why don't we put a poll up, then we can see what us LFC fans really think is the most importnant to Liverpool in this moment of time!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #30: Feb 12, 2008 12:48:58 pm
      Torres still has a lot to prove to the footballing world. Fernando, hasn't won a single thing at club or intl level...yet.

Gerrard's been there done there and done it at club level - and just needs to keep doing it for us.

Between them and backed up by Masch and Carra and Pepe we have a truly world-class spine-of-a-team to die for - we should be WINNING things, this season, with this quality of player in our XI...and you know what? We WILL.

IRWT
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #31: Feb 12, 2008 01:23:11 pm
      Sometimes I don't think any of our players create many chances, I feel that Torres is the one who creates his own chances and he takes those chances well. Put him in the Arsenal or Man Utd team and he would of scored over 20 Prem goals by now... easily!

Torres would have more goals if he wasn't out injured for about a month earlier on in the season. But ronaldo only has that many goals because he takes all the penalties and free kicks, LFC vary their takers and rely on torres and gerrard to get all the goals but united only rely on ronaldo, he is there only player to be in double figures and adebayor is arsenals only player in double figures. gerrard is closing in on 20 goals and torres will get his 20th nxt time he plays and it wont be long before they both get 20 in the league too providing they play to their best week in week out
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #32: Feb 12, 2008 01:59:17 pm
      Gerrard
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #33: Feb 12, 2008 02:01:20 pm
      After reading through some of these posts Ive come to a conclusion.

Torres v Gerrard - Who Is More Important

Neither of em, the most important is us the fans as we pay their wages simple as really!!
      red1
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #34: Feb 12, 2008 11:36:25 pm
      It's got to be Gerrard, he can score goals, apart from motivating rest of players, Torres couldn't motavate other players in the same way
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #35: Feb 12, 2008 11:51:32 pm
      It's got to be Gerrard, he can score goals, apart from motivating rest of players, Torres couldn't motavate other players in the same way

To be honest i would not want torres to be the player who has to motivate the team, in my eyes torres just has to keep scoring the goals and putting in great performances because if he is having to motivate the players then it will just be like he at athletico madrid, although there is pressure on him to score goals its different pressure from motivating a team and he is too young and inexperienced to be doing that so leave that part to stevie. bt both as important as each other, they both play vital roles and are both part of the spine
      red1
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #36: Feb 13, 2008 12:00:09 am
      Gerrard, he's a scouser, he motovates other players, turns things around when its needed.Torres is a great striker and irreplaceable, but Gerrard is magic
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #37: Feb 13, 2008 01:35:54 am
      I reckon there just as important as each other. both got key attributes to add more depth to the team, both have there own style but both just as equally important to the team
      Yawaray
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -2 
      Reply #38: Feb 13, 2008 01:54:58 am
      They are both very important for us. Do we forget things so soon. Where's the Atarturk night in Istanbul. Where was Torres. torres hasnt won anything for us and that is a yardstick for measuring a player's success. Hopefully Torress would win so many trophies for us but we have to respect those who never let us down. Lympiacus, AC millan Istanbul, F.A cup final westham-cardiff etc. torres has to work hard to acheive what Gerrard has managed to achieve. gerrard is a legend whose name would reigh for a long long time. I've been a Torres fan from Athletico though but that wouldnt deter me from making an unbiased end empirical judgement. Gerrard is more important take it or leave it.
      Yawaray
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts | -2 
      Reply #39: Feb 13, 2008 01:58:07 am
      we need players like Huntelaar to help torres in scoring the goals and Quaresma to add more creativity to our team and score goals too.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #40: Feb 13, 2008 10:25:59 am
      we need players like Huntelaar to help torres in scoring the goals and Quaresma to add more creativity to our team and score goals too.

Yeah we know, but tell that to Hicks who holds the purse strings matey... we down to third or worse buying options with our player budgets.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #41: Feb 13, 2008 10:32:51 am
      If i had a choice of buying Gerrard or Torres, I'd say Gerrard everyday. Torres may be playing better at the moment, but Gerrard'll be back. He IS a legend
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #42: Feb 13, 2008 11:57:01 am
      Can't choose...

Both carry so much weight in different ways. Too hard to seperate them.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #43: Feb 13, 2008 09:00:23 pm
      Gerrard, he's a scouser, he motovates other players, turns things around when its needed.Torres is a great striker and irreplaceable, but Gerrard is magic

Hit the nail on the head there! Gerrard's all round work ethic is usually unfaltering.
      As captain of Liverpool FC andField Marshal General (like the play on words? ;) ) Gerrard knits the team together from defence to attack.

* Gerrard has the heart of a Lion and leads by example. He will take the pride and passion he has when he pulls on the RED shirt and inject his spirit into those around him, Carragher too does the same, I think it's a Scouse thing!  ;)

* On the ball his passing, as we all know, is sometimes quite legendary. He can play the short ball for sure but those incisive 30 / 40 yard balls into space or to feet are one of his trademark assets.
      At the stroke of his right boot possibilities just open up, it's that simple.

* Gerrard's ability to carve a goal scoring opportunity from nothing also proves what a killer instinct he has. Olympiakos, Istanbul, Cardiff (2), Villa Park Aug 07 - so, so many and some so, so vital.

* If the opposition has the ball Gerrard wants it too and invariably will get it, no matter what. He takes no prisoners and has a do or die approach to his defensive game.

* Off the field Gerrard has inspired generations both young and old. People the world over admire his "right here, right now" grit and determination - no matter which team they may or may not support. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression and Gerrard has captained both his club and country to this end.

With all my praise for Gerrard it might seem that I don't rate Torres' in comparison but that would be a wild miscalculation!

This is Torres's first season after all and the question is "Who is more important?" You shouldn't normally answer a question with a question but I would say "At what?"

Torres is a predatory striker, sniffing out any opportunity to bang the ball in the back of the net and he can, handsomely! His game is not as complex as Gerrard's with tracking back to steal the ball to get it out to the wingers or up to the strikers - because he is one! His primary role is to be the last man prowling around the opposition's defense, ready to strike the killer blow.
      His contribution to Liverpool FC in his first season has been fantastic with 18 goals in all competitions. He has built up such a reputation we actually cannot afford for him to be absent through injury. His potency in front of goal, whilst not honed to perfection, is clear for all to see, that's why we paid 24 million for him!

To summerize:
      Torres is an out and out goal scorer for me.
      Gerrard is a jack of all trades; defending / tackling, linking / assisting and goal scoring too.
      Both very good at what they do but the question is...

Who is more important?

Imagine Liverpool FC without Steven Gerrard, I bet it makes you feel very uncomfortable... 

How ' ard? GERRARD!
      « Last Edit: Feb 13, 2008 10:02:08 pm by RED1028 »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #44: Feb 13, 2008 09:14:34 pm
      Thanks Red, I thoroughly enjoyed that video !!  Every one  of them goals was a peach  ;)  The goalies sh*t themselves when they see him coming one on one  ;D  Couldn't decide on my favourite though, but if pushed probably Olympiakos or West Ham  ;) ;D ;D

lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #45: Feb 13, 2008 10:45:35 pm
      Steven Gerrard is simply amazing. When he isnt at his best it frustrates me because i want him to be at his best and i think fair enough people like Ronaldo have all this flair and skill and play great but im sorry Steven Gerrard in full flow is a real sight to behold, No one else in the world can do what he does.

His passion and determination is second to none. He is the best player i have ever seen play the game and iv'e been to a match in which Zizou played. Im only 18 so i never really got to see other liverpool greats such as Rush and King Kenny, Iv'e grown up watching stevie and he is a man i idolise. His attitude and hunger for success is amazing and i really want to see him win the EPL before he hangs up his boots, if anyone in the league deserves it, its him.

As for Torres what can i say, Seeing him running with the ball is amazing, its a game of what is he going to do next. His goals against Marseille and Chelsea were simply breathtaking, theres something about the way in which he moves with the ball that tells you he is about to pull off something amazing. I love to watch him play and the things that make him even more impressive is his age and the fact that this is his first season in a new country.

Hearing that he will get better seems unbelievable given how good he already is and just imagine him with someone world class alongside him upfront. I love the way that he plays and his tactical awareness. He always seems to know what he's doing and before he has done it he knows what he's going to do, its great and im so thankful he is playing for us.

Torres and Gerrard compliment each other so well and i think add ryan babel to their partnership next season and we will see some amazing football being played.

Quick Reply