Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Jamie Redknapp-"Benítez Will Never Win The Title"

Read 7795 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Jamie Redknapp-"Benítez Will Never Win The Title"
      Feb 13, 2008 03:17:38 am

Redknapp: Benítez Will Never Win The Title
      Former Liverpool player Jamie Redknapp doesn't think the Reds will ever win the Premier League for as long as Rafael Benítez is at the helm. The reason? The Spaniard cares too much about Europe.

Liverpool's point at Stamford Bridge on Sunday was by no means a bad result, but all at Anfield have now accepted that the league title will not be arriving on Merseyside this season. 

The wait for that 19th championship has now spanned almost two decades for the Reds, but speaking after the Chelsea game former Liverpool player Jamie Redknapp said he doesn't believe current boss Rafa Benítez is able to ever win the Premier League. 

“Liverpool have got no chance of winning the title under Rafa Benitez," said Redknapp, speaking as a pundit on Sky Sports.  "They are further away than ever.  For Rafa Benítez, the kudos lies in winning the Champions League." 

Priorities

Speaking of the Spaniard, Redknapp reckons it's a simple case of differing priorities that explains Benítez' repeated failures in the Premier League, despite having a European record that trounces that of United's Sir Alex Ferguson. 

“(Europe) is his priority and everything he does is geared towards that goal," said the former midfielder, son of Portsmouth boss Harry, about Benítez. 

“On their day, Liverpool can beat anyone.  But they struggle for consistency over the course of a Premier League season.  I’ve heard people saying that Rafa is not a great manager, but you don’t get to two Champions League finals unless you are a master tactician." 

Lack Of Quality

The other problem, Redknapp reckons, is Liverpool's lack of top quality stars.  "When I look at Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea, they all have so many match-winners in their line-ups," he explained.  "Liverpool have got just two: Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres. 

Rotation Issues

"I’ve watched Liverpool’s progress very closely and I really thought that this could be their year.  But they make so many changes to their line-up that they don’t get any consistency or understanding. 

"I look at John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho at Chelsea, for example, they are a great partnership and have a real understanding from playing together.  The best managers like Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson keep basically the same team and system.  In their big games, they field their strongest team. 

"But look at Liverpool.  Who’s going to play up front?  I’m not sure about Dirk Kuyt, but who plays up front with Fernando Torres?  When Peter Crouch and Torres play together they look as if they can make it work but they never really seem to be given a chance.  They get one or two games together and then Benitez changes it again.” 

What a pr**k! That is all I can say.
      « Last Edit: Feb 13, 2008 03:19:51 am by Dadorious »
      Kop-Of-Malaya
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -4 
      • Kop The Best
      Re: Jamie Redknapp-"Benítez Will Never Win The Title"
      Reply #1: Feb 13, 2008 03:30:38 am
      He is Son Of what??
      hei...can give me the s**t link....
      « Last Edit: Feb 13, 2008 04:44:00 am by Kop-Of-Malaya »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2: Feb 13, 2008 04:54:14 am
      2 world class players? Mascherano, Carragher, Reina?

Probably wants the job. Lack of quality is down to how much funds he recieves, he got Babel, Torres and Lucas when he got given money, oh and Benny boy. Royal pr**k.

What i have a problem with is we rotate our squad players and keep the core, world class players in. Masch, Gerrard, Reina, Carragher, Torres and Agger (when fit) are all in the side and the likes of Pennant, Kuyt, Pennant, Kewell all get goes according to the game. Thats what really pisses me off.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3: Feb 13, 2008 07:32:00 am
       I think Jamie is getting RAFA mixed up with his old man ;D
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #4: Feb 13, 2008 08:48:16 am
      I heard these comments when they were said after the Chelsea game, and I still think the same as I did then. Jamie's too thick to have his own opinion, everything he said is what he's seen written elsewhere.
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #5: Feb 13, 2008 08:53:57 am
      Come on lads...

If he's going to fit in with his the rest of his anti-Liverpool SKY crew like Richard the Gorrilla Keys and And Andy Blue nosed, hates Liverpool Gray. He cannot be expected to sit there and not have a pop at us as he wouldn't fit in.

Either that or the other two have brainashed him with their vile, anti -Liverpool Sputum
      streety893
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts | -3 
      • Theres always hope in our hearts
      Reply #6: Feb 13, 2008 08:56:45 am
      I Don't feel Jamie's Comments are fair In fact Sky Sports & Setanta are doing a cracking job of putting the knife in when we play poorly live
      Craig Burley, Jamie Redknapp and Andy Gray want to engage there brains before they speak out of turn about this wonderful club

I am sick of the rotation policy jibe and the underachievment moanings that they continually amble on about

Where are the positives ????????

IRWT
      YNWA
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #7: Feb 13, 2008 09:54:53 am
      It is the easiest thing for them to use as an excuse for us not challenging though isnt it. We rest fernando for one game against tough oppoisition get a drawand they consider it rafas fault even though we should be able to win the match without torres on the field but its easier for them to just say ah its rotation.

I dislike Jamie Redknapp, i don't care if you are sitting with people with a certain attitude towards a club and its manager, you should have your own opinion especially if it is aout the club you spent the best part of your career at.

I would love rafa to win the league then just say something simple like 'just goes to show that managers need time and instant success isnt a reality in football nowadays' just to send out a message to everyone that has doubted he can win the league.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #8: Feb 13, 2008 10:09:12 am
      Sounds to me like he is trying to get his old fella a job at Anfield.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #9: Feb 13, 2008 10:12:12 am
      I hope Jamie Redknapp invests heavily in lubrication for May 2009 when Rafa and a few others will go looking for him in that comfortable Sky studio and try to stuff the top of the Premier title trophy up his jacksie... and with that crown on the trophy could be quite interesting to watch.

Jamie Redknapp you've never had an original thought in your life, you hang your hat on classic-anti-Rafa themes such as "rotation", "Stevie out of position", "fighting with your boss" - and guess what, Rafa is still alive and kicking... and will continue to be for some time yet.

Jamie just forms part of a little group of vultures within the British media that don't like Rafa's style of handling the media - I.e., no Hollywood style sound-bites, no contreversy (99.99% of the time), no wise-cracks, no banter... and no genuine origianl paper column or tv material... so they have to invent it or hang their hats on sh*te like the latest verbal diahorrea this poor chap has come up with.

Jamie if you ever think your Dad will manage this proud club, you must be smoking your socks, because the closest Harry-Papa will ever come to working for this club ....was having a mediocre player of a son once representing them.

I R W T
      Dadorious
      • Started Topic

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #10: Feb 13, 2008 12:25:44 pm
      I cant still believe an ex player of his stature would come up with such sh*te. The saddest thing about it is that i saw some of the comments that were below the article and some so called "LFC fans" were nodding their heads in agreement the scummy bas**rds. The sad thing is that ill educated comments like these are picked up even here in Australia, and the sh*t journalists and "soccer analyst" here in Australia jump on the same fukn bandwagon and they smear our name and reputation with sh*t sll over the media without knowing jack sh*t.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #11: Feb 13, 2008 12:25:55 pm
      I think Jamie is getting RAFA mixed up with his old man ;D

;D,   good one that.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #12: Feb 13, 2008 01:03:28 pm
       Obviously,JR knows as much about football management as I do about flower arrangeing. However should we consider a new bootroom to assist Rafa in acheiving both targets (CL/PL ), something along the lines of :-
      Assistant Manager--Paul Jewel
      Backs Coach ---Phil Thompson
      Forwards Coach --Ian Rush/John Aldridge.
      They would complement Rafa's obvious tactical abilities and who Knows in the future we might even be able to promote a Manager from within, sound familiar?

IRWT
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #13: Feb 13, 2008 01:25:33 pm
      I agree with Phil thommo and Ian Rush/John Aldridge but i dont think Paul Jewell would be a good Assistant manager for Rafa.

We need someone in the Pako type of mould to take his place well and keep the player focused and relaxed but not too relaxed hehe.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #14: Feb 13, 2008 02:52:22 pm
      Come on lads...

If he's going to fit in with his the rest of his anti-Liverpool SKY crew like Richard the Gorrilla Keys and And Andy Blue nosed, hates Liverpool Gray. He cannot be expected to sit there and not have a pop at us as he wouldn't fit in.

Either that or the other two have brainashed him with their vile, anti -Liverpool Sputum

:lmao: Indeed!!

Not too suprised to be honest.

Probably a case of not going with the sourthern Sky clique would cast doubts on his pundit career there. If you think of how much stick Phil Thompson gets for believing in the reds then it says it all. Only difference is Thompson knows what it's like to win a league or two... :f_whistle:

Thing is he's not the only one with doubts on Benitez - there's some reds who will probably agree with him. Makes it even better if you can prove the doubters wrong in my opinion.
      livercool
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -5 
      Reply #15: Feb 13, 2008 03:50:23 pm
      Well , if Jamie Red says thinks like that , then there must be liverpool players that agree , if Gerrard and co was so happy with Rafa then i dont think jamie would say thinks like this , where there is smoke ...
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #16: Feb 13, 2008 03:53:29 pm
      I'm not even gonna justify that last comment with a proper reply, just suffice to say that you are a complete & utter tool of the highest order.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #17: Feb 13, 2008 04:21:38 pm
      Haha, I doubt it very highly that any players think we can't win the league under rafa or they would have opted to leave in the recent Transfer window.

Good article here in response to Jamie 'the chelsea fan' Redknapps comments.

Tomkins: Psychological Barriers

According to Jamie Redknapp, Liverpool "have got no chance" of ever winning the league under Rafa Benítez.

Presumably Redknapp would have said the same in 1990 about Alex Ferguson, who had taken a top four side at United for the previous four seasons under Ron Aktinson and turned them into ninth placed finishers (on average) over his first four seasons?

Benitez's league record outstrips Ferguson's in every possible way when comparing their respective first four years in charge, and while football has changed, and the past cannot be compared to the present with total accuracy, the fact is that no-one in the world thought Alex Ferguson could ever win a league title at United, and certainly not the United fans holding up banners asking for him to be sacked.

I'm sure Ferguson proved more insightful men than Redknapp wrong.
      Just because Ferguson ended United's 26-year drought it doesn't therefore automatically follow that Benítez will do the same at Liverpool, but equally, you need to compare the managers to where they were in their respective tenures to get the context right.

The comparisons between United back then and Liverpool now are apt: England's two biggest clubs, with all the monumental pressure that comes with it, both trying to end a two-decade drought without the league title. Except Ferguson took four years to win his first trophy, and spent most of that time in the bottom half of the table.

If anyone should know how difficult it is to win the league at Liverpool it's Redknapp. He was part of teams in the '90s that finished sixth, eighth and seventh. More tellingly, this was also when the team were pretty pathetic in Europe too, and only the occasional visitors to a cup final.

Indeed, Benitez took the Reds to more finals in his first three years - and more important ones at that - than Souness, Evans and Houllier managed in the entire '90s. With that in mind, I'd like to see the ex-captain showing the current manager a little more respect.

Redknapp has now joined the list of those thinking that because Benitez has had more success in Europe with Liverpool, that is his priority. This is lazy stereotyping. Redknapp also talks about rotation (yawn) again, but misses the point that as with Wenger and Ferguson, Benitez rarely changes his core of key men except for the Carling Cup. When fit, Reina, Gerrard, Torres and Carragher play virtually every game.

I admit that I thought Liverpool could mount a title challenge this year, but it's been a campaign fraught with well-publicised difficulties. There's also been a pretty big injury list all season long, affecting several key players.

But I have also long been aware that it's going to be far harder for the Reds to end a two-decade wait for the title than it would be for the other three big teams to become Champions.

At Liverpool there's a much more complex scenario. Psychologically speaking, Liverpool are in the toughest position of any Premier League team.

First of all there's the unprecedented success that lingers in living memory of every adult, which makes any fine achievement a failure in the eyes of many. It causes the kind of insanity that makes some fans say they don't care about the Champions League.

The years of relative failure in the '90s, and in some years since, should lower expectations, but they don't. No-one expects Blackpool or Nottingham Forest to be English champions, but 'by rights' Liverpool should.

Why? Some fans say "Because we're Liverpool". But you can't win leagues by merely quoting history at your opponents. You can't dismiss Chelsea, with their expensive squad, and say "but we're Liverpool". On Sunday Chelsea brought on two subs (Malouda and Mikel) who each cost more than any single Liverpool player on the pitch.

You can't dismiss United, with their riches and their manager and players with league title success, and say "but we're Liverpool". And the same applies to Arsenal, whose current success owes much to Wenger's experience and scouting over the past decade, and from allowing a young side to blossom.

Manchester United and Arsenal, with the same managers as today, won league titles in the years immediately before Benitez arrived in England. Chelsea, with a squad twice as costly as anyone else's, and three times that of Liverpool's, won the league in Benitez's first season in England.

So by 2005, Benítez was seriously up against it, before he'd ever really had a chance to get going. If anything, the addition of Chelsea to the power-base and the ability of longstanding managers like Wenger and Ferguson makes it harder to be a Liverpool manager than ever before.

By 2005 these three rivals had that success in the bank. But with Liverpool, there's just a growing pressure with every year that passes. And the stereotyping doesn't help.

Liverpool, and Benitez, appeared to be put in a psychological straightjacket by the press after that first season: 'duffers' in the league but majestic on the continent. It was putting the club into a box and taping it up. This is a societal trend. Perhaps in the players’ minds it starts to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. No matter who is the manager, how do you overcome that?

The first year was always going to be a tough league campaign for Benitez, and of course the manager had to learn about English football; that was only natural, and it was a harsh lesson at times. How could he know as much in those first months as rival managers who had been in their jobs for donkey's years?

His second season was a relative success in the league, with 82 points and an outstanding win-percentage: 25 out of 38 won. Add cup games against Premier League opposition, including four ties against Chelsea and Manchester United, and it looked even better. This told me that Rafa could succeed in England. But getting that first league title was always going to be the toughest task of all.

Whereas Arsenal unexpectedly won the league under Wenger after 18 months, Liverpool had a surprise European title at the start of Benítez's reign. And anyone who doesn't believe me when I talk about how teams can be stereotyped, just look at Arsenal's 'Invincibles'.

This very 'European' team, whatever its personnel over that time, has thus far failed to win a single European trophy in the 12 years under Wenger.

Why is this? Possibly because in those first two or three campaigns, Arsenal failed more so than was expected. While some of that should have been foreseen - it was after all a learning curve in those initial campaigns - it set the same kind of psychological barrier in place that the Liverpool team suffer from in the league. Once you're labelled, it’s hard to escape it.

It seemed the better Arsenal got domestically the worse they fared on the continent. Perhaps you could look at Wenger's tactics, etc, but this was a team who, between 2002 and 2004, should have been able to beat anyone. The only time they have reached the last four was when they were beaten finalists in 2006, in the season when everyone felt they were a poorer side and stood far less chance of doing well.

This stereotyping, and an overburdening, overpowering expectation, is probably the same for the England national team, and in domestic football, for Newcastle United. The difference, of course, is that Liverpool have been winning things of real note during one particular kind of drought.

While I desperately want the league title to return to Anfield, I've been thrilled by the team winning the European Cup, FA Cup, and making it to another Champions League final. I'm incredibly proud that the team has made the last 16 of the Champions League every year under Rafa, not to mention those two finals, because before he arrived that seemed as impossible as it now does to win the league.

Liverpool's psychological situation is almost the reverse of Manchester United's. What United would do for another Champions League success, almost a decade after their only final in 15 consecutive years competing in it under Ferguson. You know how much Ferguson desperately wants to win it, yet he hasn't even come close in the last nine years, and didn't even make it past the group stage two years ago.

Anyone who's been single and on the dating scene at some point in their life knows that the more you want something, the harder it becomes; you reek of desperation in the search for a partner. You try too hard.

Going back to Wenger, the difference between Arsenal and Liverpool is that the Reds' early success came in Europe, and of course that's made subsequent good runs in Champions League easier to achieve.

The confidence, the true gut-level belief, was put in place by the run to Istanbul and the final itself. Liverpool have that in the bag now, and under Benitez, always will. That's why the club were able to reach a second final in three years, including victory in the Nou Camp, and also why, when this year's campaign got off to such a bad start (as can happen in football), the team could pull off three remarkable and emphatic victories when every single point was essential.

The examples of psychological barriers are everywhere. Why do Liverpool do so much better against Chelsea in the cups than in the league? - and in high-pressure semi-finals to boot. Why have Liverpool yet to beat Manchester United in the league under Benitez, but in the one cup encounter the Reds deservedly won?

For me, it speaks of psychological factors, and in sport, they are crucially important but also incredibly difficult to change. Chelsea and United wanted to win those encounters with Liverpool at least as much as they did those league games. But without the oppressive weight of the word 'Premier League' bearing down on them, the Reds had more freedom.

But things can change quickly in football. Who thought Arsenal, who finished below the Reds for two seasons, would suddenly click into gear this year? After all, this is the season when Spurs were supposed to finish above the Gunners. Players like Hleb and Adebayor turned into top-class propositions after two unspectacular seasons in England, and what’s to say young players as gifted and promising as Ryan Babel and Lucas can't make similar improvements?

No-one can doubt that the league has become an albatross, a millstone, for Liverpool, and had done so long before Benitez arrived. Quite how any manager can lift that burden is anyone's guess. It won't be easy, that's for sure.

Perhaps Benitez's best hope lies with the outstanding youngsters he is procuring, and how, as at Arsenal, they improve the side once they've matured. Should the next generation come through at Anfield and show their undoubted class in the next few years, players like Torres, Agger, Reina, Mascherano, Alonso, Skrtel, Babel, Lucas and Gerrard should still be around to make the squad stronger than ever. And even Carragher and Finnan have a few years left ahead of them.

But for the time being the Reds remain a revered and feared Champions League team and, after the European failures and humiliations of the '90s, and the across-the-board mediocrity, I for one am happy for the team to be considered top-class in such an important context.

livercool
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -5 
      Reply #18: Feb 13, 2008 04:22:20 pm
      Sorry i disagree , well not even disagree , just giving another opinion of why i think  Jamie came out with these comments am i not allowed SIR ?!!!!!!!
      livercool
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -5 
      Reply #19: Feb 13, 2008 04:26:21 pm
      Eddie !!
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #20: Feb 13, 2008 04:38:16 pm
      Jamie was a decent player for us - how anyone on here can call him mediocre player - is beyond me!  And shows there Liverpool / Footy knowledge is s*ite!

Also, Jamie is clearly a Liverpool Fan and if you actually listen to what he says week in week out on Sky Sports - he's usually very biased towards Liverpool.  Very much like Gary Mac.

He's entitled to his opinion on Rafa winning us the league.  He's not got us close yet, so the jury is out on him and that acheivement I'm afraid.

Sorry but - you lot struggle!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #21: Feb 13, 2008 04:42:52 pm
      Go and have a read of the thread 'Disagreeing With Mods' in the forum feedback section Livercool, as quite franky I can't be arsed to repeat myself.

Long story short, you're entitled to your opinion & I'm entitled to mine. My opinion is you're a tool.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #22: Feb 13, 2008 04:45:27 pm
      You're right Richobaz, he was a good player for us, and but for his injury problems he could've been world class.

However as a pundit I feel he is a lame duck, relying on cliches & the opinions of others rather than having something of his own to say.

Quick Reply