Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Eduardo suffers 'horror injury'

Read 7698 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Eduardo suffers 'horror injury'
      Reply #23: Feb 25, 2008 04:48:35 am
      Well when a player makes a tacke like that 35m from goal and 2 mins and 40 seconds into the game what is he thinking and intending to do? The ball was nowhere near Eduardos's leg when he made contact. Any player with respect and half a brain that far out from goal would tug at a players shirt to create a deliberate foul and stop play.

The fact he put all his weight behind his tackle does justify the malice and intent especially on a small bloke like Eduardo it just does not belong to a proffesional player and league. As is said it typifies the no brain and raw power of the English game. In acknowledging Eduard's intent to return to football then it would only seem fair that Taylor is suspended until eduardo can make a recovery.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #24: Feb 25, 2008 10:01:04 am
      Despite some of the statements in this thread I would just like to remind people of a few things.

1. Football is a contact sport.
      2. So, These things will happen.

Should we ban tackling?

Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #25: Feb 25, 2008 10:44:12 am
      Despite some of the statements in this thread I would just like to remind people of a few things.

1. Football is a contact sport.
      2. So, These things will happen.

Should we ban tackling?

Your being silly now. Yes football is a contact sport but it's not one where you put all your body weight into an illegal tackle! His tackle was a stiff stab with studs showing.. this is probably as bad as lunging if you catch the player.

No we shouldn't ban tackling, but tackles like that are already banned and doing it resluts in guess what? A ban!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #26: Feb 25, 2008 11:35:49 am
      JD I dont see your point, yes it is a contact sport but there are legal ways of making contact Talyor's was F***ing beyond illegal. When a player puts such weight and force in to a tackle wearing metal studs it is equivalent of someone hacking him with an axe.

Just think if it was Torres or Gerrard on the receiving end I doubt you will be so cold.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #27: Feb 25, 2008 01:11:57 pm
      It looks horrific but i dont think Taylor went in with intent to he just got beat by the pace of Eduardo,no player would go to try and end anothers carrer,i wish Eduardo a speedy recovery and he should take heart from Cisse or Larsson who both came back from bad injuries like this.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #28: Feb 25, 2008 02:10:40 pm
      apparently if the medical team had not of reacted so quickly Eduardo may have had his leg amputated because of the dislocation the blood stops flowing to that part of the body which can kill the limb. So it could have been worse for the lad
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #29: Feb 25, 2008 02:40:38 pm
      . In acknowledging Eduard's intent to return to football then it would only seem fair that Taylor is suspended until eduardo can make a recovery.

can't agree with that.  theres no doubt it wasnt a great tackle, but you see players diving in with 2 legs of the ground all the time, those are the people that should be punished.  the simple fact is taylor got caught out by a player with more skill and speed than he has, and hence his tackle was late.  i can undeerstand all the furore due to the terrible injury the lad has suffered, but anyone who watches the premier league will see worse tackles than that one every week.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #30: Feb 25, 2008 02:50:00 pm
      apparently if the medical team had not of reacted so quickly Eduardo may have had his leg amputated because of the dislocation the blood stops flowing to that part of the body which can kill the limb. So it could have been worse for the lad

same as cisse, medics on football are amazing.

In terms of the challenge, people saying he should have a lengthy ban, do you think people who make a terrible high challenge that doesnt break a bone but easily could have should face a long ban aswell. It has been done by our players before, i dont think it was a fair challenge atall but intentional no way, what reason does he have for doing it so early in the game, do you think this man is roy keane or something. Gerrard has made a challenge worse than this before but it didnt cause a break which was good.

We see challenges where the player goes in that hard every single game, it just doesnt seem so because they win the ball or they dont hit the player. when i saw the challenge i thought it was a tough challenge but had no idea he had broken da silvas leg, da silva shifted the ball away from taylor very quickly butttt taylor shouldnt have had his foot so high atall. As a defender myself i know how to make a challenge and people do go in hard, that is never going to change. The best defenders in the world go into challenges with a no nonsense attitude, but it is not intending to cause damage.

Taylor did bad and he knew it as soon as the challenge had been made, he has the respect to go and see eduardo though.

While his manager Arsene Wenger was quick to blame Taylor - comments which he later retracted - Eduardo admits it was just 'one of those things'.

"It was an unfortunate situation but these things can happen in football," he said - but then insisted he was already looking to making his comeback.

the words of eduardo himself and i think he of all people would know.

it wasnt intentional and had he won the ball and not broken eduardos leg it would be considered a fantastic challenge, there is a thin line between a great challenge and a malicious one, the latter is more like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF0xeo5uZmw
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #31: Feb 25, 2008 04:13:45 pm

Cisse was in the same position as that I remember?

Only because of the trusty Liverpool staff sorted his bones out just enough so the blood kept flowing.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #32: Feb 25, 2008 06:00:13 pm
      Horrific Injury - although i thinks Wenger over-reacted and was right to apologize for his comments, understandable at the time though. MOTD was  funny when Pearce said: I'm told the pictures are so bad we can't show you. then the second thing they do back in the studio is show a F***ing Slow-mo action shot of it ffs. Made me heave
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #33: Feb 25, 2008 06:30:29 pm
      All I am saying is 'let's' assume he was going for the ball.  Eduardo's a great little player, if somebody crap (ie me) went to tackle him I would probably be about 3 years away from the ball.  You see some really tough tackles were the ball gets hammered away and they have been down to superb timing. 

Yes it was horrible but these things do unfortunately happen in a game that does 'and should' have a large element of physical contact involved.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #34: Feb 25, 2008 07:47:16 pm
      Firstly my thoughts go to Eduardo after this awful injury from a suspect tackle. Nobody wants to see a professional player carted from a football field on a stretcher, whoever the player or team he plays for (in most cases Mr. G. Neville!) In a situation like this football takes a back seat as we wish the player concerned a return to full health and fitness.

An Arsenal fan I spoke to at work claims that professional footballers know what they are doing when they tackle, if that is the case Taylor is guilty of GBH. I would seriously doubt that is the case, unlike the Roy Keane / Alfie Haland incident when Keane was sent off as a result and incurred a 5-game suspension and a £150,000 fine. (F**k ALL then really.)  :f_steam:

The Alan Smith incident at Anfield in the 5th round of the FA Cup in 2006 was also terrible and just pure bad luck - as were both Cisse's broken legs in Oct 2004 v Blackburn and playing for France in a friendly V China in June 2006.

Strong, hard tackles are part of the game and little is likely to change that. Officials have to decide on what is deemed to be fair or not. Late tackles cross the line of good judgment in most cases and are dealt with accordingly, in this case a straight red for Taylor. It may be harsh if the intent was not there but the resulting injury would have a few people thinking otherwise including the ref and perhaps Arsenal fans more so. Martin Taylor has shown remorse for his tackle by visiting Eduardo in hospital, that is the sign of a man with a good consciousness even if his ability of reading a tackle was questionable.

Best wishes Eduardo, Get well soon.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #35: Feb 27, 2008 02:54:31 pm
      That picture is awful! I didn't know about the injury until Sunday (at cheer comp all day Sat, too tired to watch MotD ), and I saw the tackle on SSN, and then they showed what would've happened to his bone.. just awful.
      I dont' think the tackle was that bad though, I thought it was 2-footed, but now it seems it was only 1 footed? It was a bad tackle, obviously, but not as bad as the injury is making out.
      Eduardo has had surgery hasn't he, and I've read he will be running again in 6 months and playing again in 9 months, which isn't bad. I just hope he recovers well, surely he would've ripped all tendons, tissues, etc in his ankle. Arsenal medical staff did the right thing it seems, well done to them. Get well soon Eduardo!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #36: Feb 27, 2008 07:25:54 pm
      Cisse has snapped both of his legs. Apparently he has a thing where his bones tend to give way as his challenges wern't harsh towards him. Can't see it being bad luck!
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #37: Feb 27, 2008 07:41:30 pm
      Cisse has snapped both of his legs. Apparently he has a thing where his bones tend to give way as his challenges wern't harsh towards him. Can't see it being bad luck!

Brittle bones.

Not enough Calcium.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #38: Feb 27, 2008 07:56:15 pm
      Brittle bones.

Not enough Calcium.

Not enough milk

Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #39: Feb 27, 2008 08:01:10 pm
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #40: Feb 27, 2008 08:04:32 pm
      compound fracture is very awful. Poor Eduardo. When I saw that it was really awful.
      Now Croatian fans are chasing Taylor though he apologized and be apologized by Eduardo.

As doctors say recovery won't be soon, but I wish him easy and quick recovery. Good luck, Eduardo!
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #41: Feb 27, 2008 08:39:19 pm
      He was discharged from hospital today.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #42: Feb 27, 2008 10:01:34 pm
      I'm sure he's got some fit 18 year old woman to scratch down his plaster so my sympathy for him has now returned to its natural state of zero.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #43: Feb 28, 2008 03:11:13 am
      No he has a wife and a 2 year old daughter. He is not Micah Richards or Ledley King.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #44: Feb 28, 2008 01:57:45 pm
      That tackle is disgusting and totally uncalled for! Tackles resulting like that should be a whole season ban..

I also like Wenger will retract in what I said. I think the game here in England is very fast and when you see that tackle in slow motion it makes the challenge look a lot more malicious! Don't think Taylor meant it, but with that kind of tackle if you miss the ball then you've got the bone. Though he deserves his three match ban, he can think about his mistakes!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #45: Feb 29, 2008 12:36:09 am
      Yes Taylor reflects your typical modern day English player 193cm 93 kg tall can run all day long and boot the ball upfield and run aimlessly about the pitch. Has the football brain of a an OX. Some famous ones include well all of them (exception to JCole, Bentley and Gerrard).

That is why England will never win a major trophy.

Quick Reply