Trending Topics

Hick's Son in Sandon after Boro game

Read 4361 times
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Re: Hick's Son in Sandon after Boro game
      Reply #23: Feb 25, 2008 02:01:31 pm
      I dont agree with spitting at him either, afterall he isnt his father firstly and spitting on someone is one of the most disrespectful things you can do. I am happy that one fan had the maturity to actually speak to him about the situation in a dignified way. I hate these americans but that doesnt paint a verey good picture of our clubs and fans by spitting at someone that has done nothing. He is only his fathers son and what his father has done has nothing to do with him in my opinion.

At least the lad is trying to help things work and im sad to see that fans dont respect him for trying rather than calling for his head on account of what his father has done. I'd like to see his dad go in there but obviously we never will, he'd rather send his son to take the burden which gives me even less respect for tom hicks.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #24: Feb 25, 2008 02:13:05 pm
      I bet you a pound to a penny that in all the papers itll be the spitting incident that will be focused on and not the fact that the fans told him how they feel. Shame that
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #25: Feb 25, 2008 06:30:59 pm
      Its a wonder its not all over SSN  ::)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #26: Feb 25, 2008 06:39:26 pm
      spitting on someone is one of the most disrespectful things you can do

About as disrespectful as offering your job to some no-mark behind your back.

Still an idiotic thing for him to do.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #27: Feb 25, 2008 06:48:53 pm
      About as disrespectful as offering your job to some no-mark behind your back.

Still an idiotic thing for him to do.

youv'e just shown me what the main point of my post was. His father did it not him they are two seperate people, i dont like either much but i dont think you can judge them as the same considering the son has done nothing.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #28: Feb 25, 2008 06:59:33 pm
      I have it on quite good authority that the 'spitter' was an Irish red.  Not that it makes any difference but I thought they all left the ground 10 minutes before the end of the game so they could get a good space in O'Neill's in town?
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #29: Feb 25, 2008 07:08:35 pm
      Tom Hicks Jnr: How it turned nasty in the Sandon

Liverpool FC reporter Tony Barrett was in the Sandon when Tom Hicks Jr dropped in. This is what he witnessed ...

by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

UNLESS Birmingham City’s Martin Taylor decides to pop into Eduardo’s north London local for a swift half, it would be hard to imagine a more ill-judged pub visit than the one which took place in Anfield on Saturday evening.

Rumours of Tom Hicks junior going for a pint at the Sandon – the very place where Liverpool’s most hardcore support congregates before and after matches – would have been almost impossible to believe had I not seen it with my own eyes.

In a display of bravery beyond the call of family duty or crass stupidity and insensitivity, depending on your point of view, Tommy waltzed into the packed watering hole without a care in the world.

Well, he was surrounded by a team of burly minders, so what is there to care about?

Hicks arrived outside the Sandon an hour after he watched the team his dad so controversially owns beat Middlesbrough 3-2.

Emerging from a silver people carrier, he enjoyed a cigarette outside before pulling out a camera and taking pictures of the exterior of the pub, the birthplace of Liverpool FC.

Even while he was puffing and snapping away, his security were never too far away from him.

Someone had clearly warned them young Tommy may not be too popular in L4 given the way his father is viewed by the vast majority of Liverpool’s fans.

As supporters looked on, some oblivious to who this well protected individual was and others all too well aware, Hicks junior then told his bodyguards he fancied a drink and walked into the pub.

The Sandon may not be a coliseum and it may not have contained any lions but there was an inescapable feeling Roman-style blood sports were about to take place.

Having avoided the main bar, Hicks junior went to the slightly less crowded middle bar and ordered a pint of lager for himself and soft drinks for his always on-duty security guards.

As soon as he spoke, ears began pricking up and people quickly realised the identity of Texan in their midst.

It isn’t exactly difficult to spot a sharp-suited American in a pub full of Adidas Samba wearing locals after all – and word spread around the boozer quicker than news of a goal against Man United.

All of a sudden, the bar was packed as fans flocked from all corners of the Sandon to see if the seemingly unbelievable rumour sweeping the pub was true. And it was.

At first, Hicks junior had nothing more troublesome to cope with than a few direct questions as to why he was there, what his dad was doing with the club and whether or not they were about to sell out to DIC.

Such polite questioning reflected the shock that someone so closely connected with the least popular man at Anfield – apart from Gary Neville – would have the chutzpah to turn up in their midst.

One fan took it upon himself to press Hicks junior on what was going on and interrogated him Paxman-style for a full five minutes.

But while that was going on, the mood was turning increasingly nasty as anger replaced the shock.
      A volley of protest songs – aired with increasing regularity on the Kop in recent months – rang out throughout the pub and the venom being directed at Hicks junior was plain for all to see.

All of a sudden, his smile was replaced by a grimace of concern.

And as the volume was cranked up still further by the swollen crowd, Tommy’s facial expression quickly changed.

It appeared to say “Get Me Out Of Here” to his bodyguards.

At least his desire to evacuate showed he had something in common with the fans who, by that stage, had adapted one of their favourite protest songs to inform him, not too politely, that the “lying b******d” should get out of their pub.

Hicks junior has not told any lies of course. And guilt by association is a heavy burden for any son to have to bear.

But as his father’s representative at Anfield on Saturday it borders on the inexplicable that he could have expected anything other than the “welcome” he was given.

As his bodyguards got closer one fan swilled Hicks junior with a pint of lager – and given the price of a pint in the Sandon after the match that’s quite a protest.

Another spat in his direction.

It was ugly and it was nasty. And, perhaps worst of all it was all so avoidable.

As it became increasingly clear things could have been about to go badly wrong, Hicks’ bodyguards decided discretion was indeed the better part of valour. They positioned themselves around him and guided him out of the pub through the hostile crowd and into the people carrier.

His hasty departure was totally at odds with the way he sauntered into the pub.

And yet it is hard to imagine that he expected to get anything other than the reception he got, given the feelings of the fans towards the regime he is a part of.

At best, it was a well meaning attempt to build some bridges on Hicks junior’s part.

At worst, it was yet another failure to understand English football culture and proof of the failure of Liverpool’s owners to grasp just how unpopular they have become.

One thing is for sure – Tom Hicks jnr is unlikely to be going for another pint at the Sandon any time soon.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #30: Feb 25, 2008 08:06:46 pm
       :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Was El Hadj Diouf in town too?
      No need for th spitting but nice one to the locals for giving him a true "You're not f***in' welcome!"
      :welcome: :o :( :-\ :f_doh: >:( :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam:  :scarf: :aaliverpool2xt1: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #31: Feb 25, 2008 08:21:43 pm
      :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Was El Hadj Diouf in town too?

You just had to go there.  ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #32: Feb 25, 2008 10:52:01 pm
      There was no need for the spitting, that was out of order. But if you are associated with anyone who has caused so much upset and worry to frankly, a lot of peoples primary love and passion, which they graft their arses off all week for. Then you can't just expect to go waltzing in their OUR back garden unannounced expecting a warm welcome. People will be territorial and get upset.

If anyone wants to say young Hicks wasn't aware of the anger towards his daddy and he's simply three sheets to the wind, then our club is in even worse hands than I thought. Maybe it has been a case of ill advising by 'mr I haven't got a clue and don't care' Parry. But I'm very confident young Hicks has been well aware of the goings on lately with our fans feeling very strongly about who has a hold on our club.
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2008 10:55:22 pm by smigger15 »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #33: Feb 25, 2008 10:58:44 pm
      It sounds to me like he was lucky to get out of there alive........I wonder what would have happened if he'd had no minders with him :boxing:
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #34: Feb 26, 2008 02:10:06 am
      Hah this has made the news here in Australia as well.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #35: Feb 26, 2008 12:42:38 pm
      Sandon invites Hicks family to meet the fans

Feb 26 2008 by Luke Traynor, Liverpool Echo

THE boss of The Sandon pub has invited Liverpool FC’s American owners back to the pub.

It follows an incident there on Saturday evening after the Reds beat Middlesborough.

Tom Hicks Jnr was confronted by fans and angry questioning about the US takeover.

He had to swiftly leave with his bodyguards.

Today, the Sandon owners extended an invitation to Tom Hicks and his family to visit the pub to discuss club issues with supporters’ groups.

Gemma Hindley said: “ I would like to offer an invitation for Mr. Hicks and his family to attend an organised meeting between himself and the necessary supporters groups.

“There seems to be a lot of talk about what happened at The Sandon on Saturday night after the game.

“I am sure both the Hicks family and the fans want to resolve the issues surrounding the incident before the rumours continue to escalate.

“The meeting could be organised in a closed safe environment with a number of invited supporters and The Liverpool ECHO to discuss the current situation at Liverpool FC.

“It will also allow the real supporters the opportunity to talk to Mr Hicks without being stereotypically labelled as obtrusive football louts as the national media like to portray them
      .”

???

That last paragraph sounds to me the owners of the Sandon are licking our b***ard owners arses.

Portray them?  After all they lied about and heaped their debt on to our club when they promised they wouldn't??  That's just one F***ing reason why so many Reds wanted to smash Hicks's son's head in.

I honestly can't believe how patronizing this is though

“It will also allow the real supporters the opportunity to talk to Mr Hicks”

:f_steam:
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #36: Feb 26, 2008 04:59:48 pm
      Sandon invites Hicks family to meet the fans

Feb 26 2008 by Luke Traynor, Liverpool Echo

THE boss of The Sandon pub has invited Liverpool FC’s American owners back to the pub.

It follows an incident there on Saturday evening after the Reds beat Middlesborough.

Tom Hicks Jnr was confronted by fans and angry questioning about the US takeover.

He had to swiftly leave with his bodyguards.

Today, the Sandon owners extended an invitation to Tom Hicks and his family to visit the pub to discuss club issues with supporters’ groups.

Gemma Hindley said: “ I would like to offer an invitation for Mr. Hicks and his family to attend an organised meeting between himself and the necessary supporters groups.

“There seems to be a lot of talk about what happened at The Sandon on Saturday night after the game.

“I am sure both the Hicks family and the fans want to resolve the issues surrounding the incident before the rumours continue to escalate.

“The meeting could be organised in a closed safe environment with a number of invited supporters and The Liverpool ECHO to discuss the current situation at Liverpool FC.

“It will also allow the real supporters the opportunity to talk to Mr Hicks without being stereotypically labelled as obtrusive football louts as the national media like to portray them
      .”

???

That last paragraph sounds to me the owners of the Sandon are licking our b***ard owners arses.

Portray them?  After all they lied about and heaped their debt on to our club when they promised they wouldn't??  That's just one F***ing reason why so many Reds wanted to smash Hicks's son's head in.

I honestly can't believe how patronizing this is though

:f_steam:

That last bit is referring to the supporters not Hicks, read it again Court !!   :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #37: Feb 26, 2008 05:13:50 pm
      That last bit is referring to the supporters not Hicks, read it again Court !!   :D

He's a simple soul.

Court. Not Hicks.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #38: Feb 26, 2008 05:43:41 pm
      ;D yeah its definately talking about the fans not hicks.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #39: Feb 26, 2008 05:52:20 pm
      He's a simple soul.

Court. Not Hicks.

:D

Sorry!

Heat of the momento'...
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan