Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Could we still have a chance:

Yes - but must win every game
      (44%)
      No - Don Rafael is smoking his socks again
      (56%)

Could we still win the league?

Read 9257 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Could we still win the league?
      Reply #23: Mar 09, 2008 11:00:59 pm
      Technically yes, likely no. It would mean that the top 3 have to drop an awful lot of points and although they all have to play each other I think its too late. I could see the team getting 3rd but we cant think about winning the league, they have to play for the champions league and 4th place but if 3rd happens then that is great.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #24: Mar 09, 2008 11:08:16 pm
      Rafa shifts to a 4-2-3-1 formation and we win all 4 games! If Rafa keeps selecting the same team shape and almost the same players we will win the majority of games. But if we beat man utd and arsenal away then we deserve and can realistically win the league. but can we beat them?
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #25: Mar 09, 2008 11:08:46 pm
      We won't win all our games.  We won't get to 80 points.  And Arsenal can easily manage 4 wins and a couple of draws out of 9 games.

Why do you think we cant win ALL our games or get to 80 points? I think we can. We are beginning to play well and win games; when was the last time we had 5 straight wins that were so emphatic? Sad thing is our chances are partly dependent on others faltering.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #26: Mar 09, 2008 11:43:29 pm
      Very good topic in my opinion.

The bitters are on the same points as us. Can they still win the league? I didn't think so....

We could still win the league if the teams above us F**k up terribly and we continue to keep a near same team selection every league game. But there is no way I can see the mancs messing up unfortunately. Fair enough, Arsenal are slipping into a little bit of bad form - was bound to happen sometime. And the chavs don't seem to know how to scrape those one nil wins all that much because of 'rotation'. The mancs on the other hand have been there, done it and got the t-shirt when it comes down to the last few games.

We all know the saying of 'it's not over until....' But I think we're best just thinking of getting those valuable three points every game we play and not think or worry about anything else at all.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #27: Mar 09, 2008 11:52:28 pm
      I dont know it is a bit dreamy I think third place is more realistic. Yes imagine coming 3rd, blue sh*te finish 4th and play us in the CL qualifiers and we smoke them that would be fantastic.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #28: Mar 10, 2008 06:34:09 am
      OK, winning the premiership seems impossible, it would take a big series of freak events coinciding for it to happen, but who knows! We're close to Chelsea now in the league, ok they have games in hand, but people were pretty negative about our chances when we were the ones having matches to play over the others. They need to win these matches else we're right up behind them! I want them to feel us breathing down their necks right up to the last day!

We're killing matches whether we play well or not, confidence is high, let's carry it on, see which of the supposed big three are gonna crack under the pressure of the mighty REDS!!!! Come on!!

I posted this on another thread, seems to sum up my feelings here too. I find our chances remote, far-fetched, unrealistic - but we've been in that situation before I think?  ;) Seriously though, I know we can't compare this situation to Istanbul - there's far too many matches left to play and our fate still isn't in our hands. If any of the other three go on a great run then it's all out of the window anyway, no matter what we do.

What I would like to see is us putting the other three under pressure, watching them falter as the end of the season approaches, and Fergie starting to sh*t himself in those post-match interviews he loves so much. (Was great to see his fat red face after they lost to Pompey  :D). I want to be able to keep believing as long as possible because that is part of Liverpool's greatness, our never-say-die ability to be in the running no matter what has happened before.

I think that yes we can still win the league, but don't think it will happen. Sorry Don!  ;)
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #29: Mar 10, 2008 07:19:24 am
      Only team in the top four to win a game this weekend.

Arsenal drop points again today. We still have to play Arse and Manure and they have to still play each other and Chavski before the end of the season, all surely dropping points along the way...

Could we still sneak a chance of winning it IF we win every single game left in the league?

I personally think we could.

Call me mad, but if we win every league game, we will be there or very there abouts...

Mods poll por favor:

Could we still have a chance:

Yes - but must win every game
      No - Don Rafael is smoking his socks again

*EDIT*: Done!

Ever the optimist!!
      But isn't that what dreams are made of!!

IRWT
      WALK ON
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #30: Mar 10, 2008 07:58:14 am
      Like most people have said it is a bit far fetched but hey, it could happen!! If we keep playing the way we are then the top 3 will be looking over there shoulders and we will see how they handle the pressure.

If only we had turned a couple of the draws into wins!!! Wigan, Spurs, Chelsea (dodgy pen!!!) to name just a few!!! Thats 6 pts, so that word IF has come back to haunt us yet again!!!

Still it could happen, the next month or so will tell!!!
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #31: Mar 10, 2008 08:19:09 am
      SO many pessimists here, you never know with football. Everyone said that Barnsley couldnt make lightning strike twice, but they did, everyone said we had lost the final in istanbul when were 3-0 down etc etc. Put it this way the SCUM could be docked points for some reason for transfer shinanigans Arsenal could buckle under the pressure and someone could do us all a favour and drop a nuke on crapford bridge come to think of it drop a nuke on old crapford and its theatre of toilets.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #32: Mar 10, 2008 08:31:31 am
      I voted  YES  not that i realistically believe it,    But I like to dream we can ,apart from winning them all  we are dreaming also that the top 3 will lose 4 or 5 games  each
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #33: Mar 10, 2008 08:54:46 am
      We couldnt have won at Istanbul in 2005 with out AC Milan playing sh*t in the second half now could we?...

...all we can do is play to the best of our ability and let fate/gods do their thing.

Can we win it?.....F**k YES!!!!!!

YNWA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #34: Mar 10, 2008 09:37:21 am
      I think it's highly possible right now we have found superb form when the others ahead of us seem to have taken a dip in form.  Chelsea have got alot of work to do now and have showed just how vunrable they are, Arsenal too have proved they can drop points just like us but I can't see united dropping many points now and therefore we need to win at their place to keep them tamed then get as many points from the rest of them as we can.  I have voted yes and why not ? with the way we're playing now you can't rule us out.

frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #35: Mar 10, 2008 10:25:55 am
      It all comes down to belief, Rafa's in the teams he puts out,the players belief in themselves and each other,and OUR belief that OUR team can do it !
      Every body talks about history and statistics and the comparisons in 1984 and 2005 R.e. European Cup and the same comparisons are being raised about this years tournament also!
      Why has no one looked at the league history and stats ? If my memory serves me correctly theres only been one team to come from so far behind (18pts at christmas to win the league ) who was that ? US !
      I know we we're more than that in january this year I believe it was 19pts at one stage, and its now ONLY 10 !
      But the Scum, Chel$ki and the Arse have not had their slump in form yet and two of the 3 have yet to play us, on our form compared to theirs we'll wup there arse's !
      Belief comes from within how many fans of opposing clubs do you see trailing from the ground before final whistle with there team losing, belief in there team having gone, I've never seen that Anfield !
       :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #36: Mar 10, 2008 10:28:48 am
      It aint over till its over, but this will be one mighty ask. Just dont think we have enough time though.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #37: Mar 10, 2008 12:04:48 pm
      ONLY 10 POINTS!!

i believe in this club to do the impossible as we've seen them achieve before, and if we don't win i think we will come second, NOT fourth!.

c'mon lads the crown belongs to anfield!!
      wdavidw10
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #38: Mar 10, 2008 12:59:57 pm
      I think that we can win the league or at least make it close. If the top 3 drop points in the rest of the games then there is a good chance, but if they don't then we won't have no chance! Lets hope that we can win the league this season!!!!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #39: Mar 10, 2008 01:08:27 pm
      I've voted no for the sheer fact that United probably won't slip up enough to let us in!

We all know that we do things against the run of the odds though! ;) I can't wait to be corrected on this vote! :D
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #40: Mar 10, 2008 01:39:27 pm
      I've voted no for the sheer fact that United probably won't slip up enough to let us in!

We all know that we do things against the run of the odds though! ;) I can't wait to be corrected on this vote! :D
      #
      I know what you mean about United but if we can get a result at Old Trafford I think we could have a damn good chance. 
      violatio
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 40 posts |
      Reply #41: Mar 10, 2008 01:50:48 pm
      I'm just nursing the pain of those 'nearly there' games. Those unworthy draws, esp at home, where we could have won. If we have 13 games, yeah, we can fight it. But at 9... i'm just not sure. We need not only a perfect record till end, but also need 3 other teams to slip up twice for each of them.

On the more positive side, I think we found our starting 11, and we can be even better!!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #42: Mar 10, 2008 01:59:04 pm
      I'm just nursing the pain of those 'nearly there' games. Those unworthy draws, esp at home, where we could have won. If we have 13 games, yeah, we can fight it. But at 9... I'm just not sure. We need not only a perfect record till end, but also need 3 other teams to slip up twice for each of them.

On the more positive side, I think we found our starting 11, and we can be even better!!

Never say never ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #43: Mar 10, 2008 03:09:34 pm
      Looks like we are split right down the middle on the votes.

Glad I never got my socks out to smoke!

Come on let us dream, this is Istambul 2005 HT - WE CAN DO THIS.

Gerrard and Torres playing football of their lives again... with those two in current form... all our dreams have a chance - just let us keep winning and winning and winning... and other drawing games. We CAN do this redpeeps... at the end of our storm is a SILVERware Sky....get that lark ready to sing sweetly!

Walk on.

IRWT
      « Last Edit: Mar 10, 2008 03:11:38 pm by donrafael »
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #44: Mar 10, 2008 03:20:31 pm
      Looks like we are split right down the middle on the votes.

Glad I never got my socks out to smoke!

Come on let us dream, this is Istambul 2005 HT - WE CAN DO THIS.

Gerrard and Torres playing football of their lives again... with those two in current form... all our dreams have a chance - just let us keep winning and winning and winning... and other drawing games. We CAN do this redpeeps... at the end of our storm is a SILVERware Sky....get that lark ready to sing sweetly!

Walk on.

IRWT

I'm with ya Don let's smoke this league.
      « Last Edit: Mar 10, 2008 03:23:30 pm by AJ »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #45: Mar 10, 2008 03:23:56 pm
      Every season we seem to start bad and then do well in the middle and at the end of the season but this time we started well, even went top but round the middle of the season we really struggled but as the season is getting near the end they are doing well. Next season they will start well, go top, do well in the middle of the season and stay top and the end the season and win the league

Quick Reply