Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

What teams from Europe could hack it in the Prem?

Read 1515 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      What teams from Europe could hack it in the Prem?
      Mar 10, 2008 01:14:19 am
      In an imaginary world, just wondering who out of Europes elite would be challenging for a Premiership title. Is there any team that could? What about teams like Lyon or Porto? Would they be able to challenge for a Champions league place?

Think Barca, Milan and possibly Real Madrid might challenge for champions league places. Whether they could compete for our league though. I'm not sure.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: What teams from Europe could hack it in the Prem?
      Reply #1: Mar 10, 2008 01:24:57 am
      Toughie that.

'OK so it's an imaginary world...'

I think Lyon could hack it in the Premier League, definitely.  On the other hand I shouldn't think that the likes of Real, Barca, or Valencia have the style of Football to cope with our faster paced approach in the League.

Celtic would be in our League but I reckon they would only make mid table.  Porto have a nice little system that could probably cope & compete for 4th place...

I think Ajax & PSV would be able to cut it in the Prem.  I wouldn't put any Italian sides in because the amount of cheating (i.e diving) would very much increase & their style of Football is as annoying as a Chelsea side grinding out a 1 - 0 win.

So all in all.  20 teams.  Including, Lyon, Porto, Ajax & PSV.  Also Celtic, just to prove how sh*te they really are.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #2: Mar 10, 2008 01:25:27 am
      barca could challenge for title.

Their unpredictable play with tricks etc would destroy prem defences. And messi would be in heaven playing against some prem defenders.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #3: Mar 10, 2008 07:17:16 am
      I think Lyon could hack it in the Premier League, definitely.

I was wondering about this one!

Living in France, I hear all the time about how fantastic Lyon are, and it's pretty bloody boring watching them win the Ligue 1 every year since I've lived here (I think!). Still, from what I've seen of them they are (IMO) a very average team compared to the big teams of Europe, and certainly compared to the big teams of England. I would love to see them trying to cut it in the Premier league, as I don't think honestly they qualify for a European spot, or at least be struggling for the UEFA cup. I'm not saying they'd be relegated, buut I don't see why they'd do better than Celtic....

Anyway, I'm not trying to have a go, but I was wondering how they are seen in England, how people rate them as a team, because I thought this thread would be more about which teams in Europe could challenge for the title, and I don't think Lyon would be close.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,379 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Mar 11, 2008 05:16:03 pm
      Im pretty sure Bayern Munich would cut it in the prem league over 38 games
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #5: Mar 11, 2008 06:55:51 pm
      I think most of the teams in the Champions League could 'cut it' in the Premiership, whether that be the mid table mediocracy, being inside the top 10 teams that are constantly being touted to usurp the 'Big Four' or challenging for the title.

I find it funny how Rangers & Celtic want to try the Premiership. I think Celtic would survive, but Rangers would quickly find out how easy they had been having it in the SPL.
      Betisfan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #6: Mar 12, 2008 07:14:46 pm
      Real Betis of course :D

Quick Reply