Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are you happy for us to be going after David Bentley?

Yes. Very good player with great potential.
      51 (60.7%)
      No. We could do better going after someone else.
      19 (22.6%)
      Undecided.
      14 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 83

David Bentley (Blackburn)

Read 27888 times
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Re: David Bentley (Blackburn)
      Reply #230: Jun 08, 2008 01:12:11 am
      Sorry Crouchinho cant see Bentley coming our way, the purse strings are very tight at the moment,unless your crystal ball says other wise?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #231: Jun 08, 2008 01:29:11 am
      Just don't want to see us sign an untried player in the Premiership that will take some time to adjust. Bentley on the other hand is a better bet to hit the ground running and give us the good start we need next season. And I just like Bentley's style.

Just my opinion is all..

Cheers.

He might adjust straight away; Alonso, Pepe, Arbeloa, Garcia and obviously Torres all settled in either straight away or after just a few games. It was only really the older spaniards that didnt settle; Morientes, Josemi and Pellegrino.
      I think it will be a gamble who ever we sign out of them 2, if either of them. Whether Silva will be able to adapt and whether or not Bentley would fit into our style of play.

Nah he's still pretty young. Only 23, turns 24 in august I think, thats one of the things that makes me want us to sign him, he's still young and has alot of potential. Seems older than he is I used to think he was too. Given the choice I'd take Silva over him but thats no disrespect to the quality of bentley more just a compliment to Silvas talent. I'd be over the moon if we signed both this summer.

I think i thought he was older than he actually is because he seems to have been around for quite a while
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #232: Jun 08, 2008 04:26:54 am
      don't want bentley full stop dont think he will add anything to the side, silva is quick creative and can beat a man exactly what we need, do people forget bentley was with arsenal 2 years ago and he was sold for peanuts, do fans on here really think wenger would have sold him if he was that good, some fans on here need a real reality check, if this lad comes he will not succeed, his ego is bigger than his talent which is vastly overrated, I hope im not on here saying I told ye so in a couple of months about bentley, barry, dossena and deggen

Ego bigger than his talent? Sorry you talking about Bentley? Sounds much like Ricardo Quasimodo!

Let go by Arsenal you say? Well Arsene admitted himself he made a mistake in letting him go when he was asked in an interview before an Arse v B'burn game.

Also, Silva plays left, Bentley plays right.

Mate, i think your going off past experiences with players like Bellamy and Pennant. If you are, JP never got close to breaking into the English side something that Bentley has and Bellamy was bought as we had absolutely no money then and after the season he had you dont blame Rafa for bringing him in thinking he could make it.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #233: Jun 08, 2008 01:05:25 pm
      ya the big thing is he said it before an arsenal blackburn game didn't want an wound up ex player coming back to haunt him, wenger showing why he is a good manager again, interesting to see that if wenger thinks it was such a mistake in selling him why isn't he trying to buy him back, bentley has a big ego that is plain for everyone to see, its funny i keep getting bad rating off people for stating my opinions on players like barry bentley degen and dossena, they same way when we signed bellamy, pennant and benyoun i knew they wouldnt help us win the title while all decent players not enough for a top 4 side, i hope by the end of next season when we finish in the exact same place after making these signing all the lads who gave me bad rating eat there words
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #234: Jun 09, 2008 03:22:12 am
      The thing is mate you are making Bentley out to be the same as Pennant, now I do see similarities, but there a lot of crucial extras with Bentley and that is probably why there is a difference in price.  Both have pace and both put in decent crosses, personally when I have seen Bentley he has that extra accuracy with his crosses and maybe that edge with his pace.  Also he has the ability to score and come inside where as Pennant predominantly goes outside and his ability to take set pieces that have dropped in quality of late.  Bentley is a very good player and whilst last season we had goals in the right position that came from Benayoun and Kuyt, we will sustain that and add some creativity and more pressure when we’ve got our backs against the wall in games.
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #235: Jun 13, 2008 03:13:44 am
      I agree with Corballyred on Bentley but only time will tell. Bentley is like Marmite you either love him or hate him no middle ground.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #236: Jun 13, 2008 05:05:32 am
      ya the big thing is he said it before an arsenal blackburn game didn't want an wound up ex player coming back to haunt him, wenger showing why he is a good manager again, interesting to see that if wenger thinks it was such a mistake in selling him why isn't he trying to buy him back, bentley has a big ego that is plain for everyone to see, its funny I keep getting bad rating off people for stating my opinions on players like barry bentley degen and dossena, they same way when we signed bellamy, pennant and benyoun I knew they wouldnt help us win the title while all decent players not enough for a top 4 side, I hope by the end of next season when we finish in the exact same place after making these signing all the lads who gave me bad rating eat there words

So looking back, would you rather have Hleb or Bentley in your side last season if you managed Arsenal?
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #237: Jun 13, 2008 12:57:13 pm
      Hleb was the superior player last season, his contribution is vastly underrated. He creates so much for arsenal though in terms of creating space for their passing game to work and the neat passes in behind defences. His only downside is he doesnt shoot much.

They are two different types of players, hleb is more like yossi and garcia in that his ideal role is in behind the striker. He draws players out of position and has great vision. Bentley is more of a right winger in that he will go for a cross in that is accurate, he can play in the centre aswell but he isnt as effective in the centre as hleb is. The reason arsenal are so desperate for nasri's signature is due to the importance of hlebs contribution to their play. Both great players but different types. Hleb is more arsenals style than bentley, they prefer central type players than predominantly 'wide playing' players.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #238: Jun 13, 2008 02:17:04 pm
      Never watch them so i'll take your word for it.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #239: Jun 13, 2008 10:03:13 pm
      hleb is light years ahead of bentley, techinically he is superb-he just needs to add more goals to his game, on bentley to be honest would take him any day over james milner, really still can't get my head around that one.
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #240: Jun 13, 2008 11:01:17 pm
      Bentley is a great crosser, something we don't really have. Kuyt is good crosser, but he's mainly on the wing to utilize his work rate and defensive skills to our favor. Gerrard can put balls in the box, but as a winger he holds his form for all of 30 seconds and we look like a clusterfuck in the middle.

He would help us in the free kick game and corners as well. I think people just put him off because he's not really fast, and he's not really flashy.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #241: Jun 15, 2008 04:13:37 pm
      On Sky Sports news now that he wants to leave Blackburn.

Let's see how many times we're linked to signing him now then.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #242: Jun 15, 2008 04:18:14 pm
      Could probably get him cheaper than bloody gareth barry so i would prefer we got Bentley, then we get villa. Sorted out one of the wings, got in a partner for torres, job done ;)
      AggerDoo
      Reply #243: Jun 15, 2008 04:33:03 pm
      Bentley wants Blackburn exit
      England international reveals he wants to move on
      By Lewis Rutledge   Last updated: 15th June 2008

David Bentley has spelt out his desire to leave Blackburn and play at a higher level.

Bentley has been at Ewood Park since 2005 and has emerged as one of the brightest young talents in England.
      He has already broken into the national side but he admits his ambitions can no longer be satisfied at Blackburn.
      The 23-year-old has informed Rovers he wants to go and he now hopes to secure a transfer to a club playing in the UEFA Champions League.
      "I made it clear to the club what I wanted to do," Bentley told Sky Sports News.
      "My situation is I want to move on, I want to be playing Champions League football, I want to be playing in Europe.
      "I have been there for three years, I love the club and I love playing for them, but I feel like I've done everything I can and I want to move on and try and push up the ladder and be as successful as I can
      "And I believe that lies elsewhere. I want a new challenge and I feel I want to push on somewhere else.
      "I hope I have repaid them with the way I have played but I need to be moving on somewhere else.
      "We'll see what the summer brings and hopefully in this transfer window something can be sorted out."
      Blackburn are currently looking for a replacement for Mark Hughes but Bentley insists his mind was made up before the manager departed for Manchester City.
      And he maintains that he will still be keen to leave regardless of who is appointed, as he looks to cement his place in the England team and play regularly in Europe.
      Bentley has been linked with a number of clubs including Liverpool and Tottenham but he has refused to be drawn on where he may end up.
      He said: "I discussed things with the manager then (Hughes) and the chairman.
      "Their situation has changed but mine hasn't. I need to be pushing on and that's what I'll be looking to do.
      "I've got ambitions to play for England and I want to be playing in the biggest games I can, and I believe that lies playing somewhere else.
      "My decision is not money, it is purely based on football. I just want to be playing at the highest level.
      "There are clubs interested but it lies in Blackburn's hands. Managers that come in want to keep their best players but my decision has been made and nobody could persuade me to change my mind."
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3694355,00.html

I could see Blackburn pricing evryone out of a move for him as they will follow Villas move in saying he worth more than he actually is. And Spurs will bid ridiculous money probably.

CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #244: Jun 15, 2008 05:04:51 pm
      I could see Blackburn pricing evryone out of a move for him as they will follow Villas move in saying he worth more than he actually is. And Spurs will bid ridiculous money probably.

Mad thing is, I really couldn't imagine Bentley in Spurs shirt! ::)

Blackburn will keep their mouths shut until the new manager is in place and has a go at convincing him (and Santa Cruz, etc) to stay put and challenge for Europe with them. ::) And then we'll swoop and sign him! Easy as! ;)
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #245: Jun 15, 2008 05:24:09 pm
      it is on teamtalk too

Bentley tells Rovers he wants out
      Liverpool and Tottenham target David Bentley has revealed his desire to leave Blackburn and play at a higher level of the game.

Bentley has been at Ewood Park since 2005 and has emerged as one of the brightest young talents in England.

He has already broken into the national side but he admits his ambitions can no longer be satisfied at Blackburn, with Rafael Benitez and Juande Ramos both known admirers.

The 23-year-old has informed Rovers he wants to go and he now hopes to secure a transfer to a club playing in the UEFA Champions League.

"I made it clear to the club what I wanted to do," Bentley told Sky Sports News.

"My situation is I want to move on, I want to be playing Champions League football, I want to be playing in Europe.

"I have been there for three years, I love the club and I love playing for them, but I feel like I've done everything I can and I want to move on and try and push up the ladder and be as successful as I can

"And I believe that lies elsewhere. I want a new challenge and I feel I want to push on somewhere else.

"I hope I have repaid them with the way I have played but I need to be moving on somewhere else.

"We'll see what the summer brings and hopefully in this transfer window something can be sorted out."

Blackburn are currently looking for a replacement for Mark Hughes but Bentley insists his mind was made up before the manager departed for Manchester City.

And he maintains that he will still be keen to leave regardless of who is appointed, as he looks to cement his place in the England team and play regularly in Europe.

He added: "I discussed things with the manager then (Hughes) and the chairman.

"Their situation has changed but mine hasn't. I need to be pushing on and that's what I'll be looking to do.

"I've got ambitions to play for England and I want to be playing in the biggest games I can, and I believe that lies playing somewhere else.

"My decision is not money, it is purely based on football. I just want to be playing at the highest level.

"There are clubs interested but it lies in Blackburn's hands. Managers that come in want to keep their best players but my decision has been made and nobody could persuade me to change my mind."

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_3694377,00.html
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #246: Jun 15, 2008 06:59:30 pm
      Please make a bid Rafa. Theres a case of Canadian beer and a beaver skin hat in it for you. ;D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #247: Jun 16, 2008 06:28:25 am
      Well, if clubs are interested and he wants CL footy that surely is us. He wont go Spurs they arent CL material but maybe Man Utd could swoop for him when Ronaldo leaves. Hope we beat them to it, he will be a great asset.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #248: Jun 18, 2008 05:59:28 pm
      Looks like spurs are about to get the ball rolling and hopefully get Rafa to pull his finger out and get a bid in before its to late.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/article-23496135-details/Spurs+closing+in+on+%C2%A312m+Bentley/article.do
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #249: Jun 18, 2008 06:14:32 pm
      Looks like spurs are about to get the ball rolling and hopefully get Rafa to pull his finger out and get a bid in before its to late.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/article-23496135-details/Spurs+closing+in+on+%C2%A312m+Bentley/article.do

Tottenham have emerged as strong favourites to sign David Bentley from Blackburn after the England winger indicated that he wants to come back to London.

Bentley, who is hoping to leave Blackburn this summer following Mark Hughes's departure to Manchester City, grew up as a Spurs fan and is understood to have set his sights on a dream switch to White Hart Lane.

The 23-year-old former Arsenal star has also been linked with moves to Liverpool and City.

Bentley has admitted he is desperate to play in European competition next season and while Tottenham aren't in the Champions League, they have qualified for the UEFA Cup.

Spurs see the England international as another signing that is crucial to their hopes of challenging the top four next season and getting into Europe's premier club competition, but they are not prepared to pay the £15million asking price.

It has been reported that boss Juande Ramos needs to sell first before he can sign any more players, but that is not the case.

The club are expected to trim their squad this summer to help balance the budget, but they can start negotiations with Blackburn now.

Tottenham don't think Bentley should command a similar fee to Croatia international Luka Modric, who they bought for £15.8m last month. They will hope to secure a deal for £12m, which is the same sum they are demanding Sunderland pay for striker Darren Bent.

But Blackburn are likely to hold out for more and chairman John Williams insists Bentley's future will not be decided until the club appoint a new manager.

Meanwhile, German international striker Lukas Podolski has claimed Tottenham and Juventus want to sign him from Bayern Munich.

Spurs have been looking at possible replacements for wantaway Dimitar Berbatov and it has been reported in Germany that Podolski, who has scored three goals at Euro 2008, has been the subject of a £15.8m bid.

I would have thought that if Bentley gets to choose out of a champions league team and spurs then it wont be spurs that will be getting him
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #250: Jun 18, 2008 06:27:37 pm
      True. If him 'wanting to move back to london' is true though i could see that swaying him as he is already a fan of tottenham so he's already fond of them.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #251: Jun 18, 2008 10:14:25 pm
      Word spreading that spurs have all but signed him. Why oh why? I really hope we get a right winger who is atleast as good as him.
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #252: Jun 18, 2008 10:20:37 pm
      Word spreading that spurs have all but signed him. Why oh why? I really hope we get a right winger who is atleast as good as him.

Where is this word spreading from?

Quick Reply