Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are you happy for us to be going after David Bentley?

Yes. Very good player with great potential.
      51 (60.7%)
      No. We could do better going after someone else.
      19 (22.6%)
      Undecided.
      14 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 83

David Bentley (Blackburn)

Read 28066 times
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Re: David Bentley (Blackburn)
      Reply #46: Apr 04, 2008 01:56:22 pm
      The thing is that we have players that can play an important part in the champion’s league it’s the premiership that’s the priority.  He has the experience its added assurance, for the right price I really think we should be pushing for this one.  We will probably need two wingers as it seems most likely that both Kewell and Pennant will be gone at the end of the season.  If this is the case then one of the purchases should be a safe and calculated transaction that for me would be Bentley. 
      Top post. Bently so far has imo demonstrated all the key elements to becomea top quality midfielder in a side like ours where with all due respect to Blackburn, he would be playing alongside better quality players.If as rumours suggest, Xabi is on his way back to Spain then Bently could fill the gap, not that I personally would want Xabi to leave.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #47: Apr 04, 2008 01:59:26 pm
      Top post. Bently so far has imo demonstrated all the key elements to becomea top quality midfielder in a side like ours where with all due respect to Blackburn, he would be playing alongside better quality players.If as rumours suggest, Xabi is on his way back to Spain then Bently could fill the gap, not that I personally would want Xabi to leave.

How could Bentley fill the gap left by Xabi? Alonso plays as a defensive midfielder whereas Bentley plays predominately on the wing, and on the odd occassions he does play in the middle it's in an attacking role.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #48: Apr 04, 2008 10:17:11 pm
      Havn't noticed Bentley's pace being anything exceptional, as you might expect for a winger. Think he's an o.k. sort of player. Strong, direct and determined. A good crosser of the ball, but not a top drawer player. Then again, I think he would be an improvment on Pennant who I don't think is any where near the standard required for L.F.C.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #49: Apr 05, 2008 03:33:40 am
      Havn't noticed Bentley's pace being anything exceptional, as you might expect for a winger. Think he's an o.k. sort of player. Strong, direct and determined. A good crosser of the ball, but not a top drawer player. Then again, I think he would be an improvment on Pennant who I don't think is any where near the standard required for L.F.C.

Pace isnt neccessarily key for a winger, look at Pedersen.

Also, described him as strong, direct and determind as well as a good crosser of the ball (understatement of the year?), well that sounds like a really top drawer winger to me.

As for Pennant, he may not be the big name player and people hold that against him but i rate Jermaine, he is quick and sticks to his wing while getting past his man and crossing it in with  accuracy.

Not getting stuck in GERNS mate, just expressing my opinion from your post ;)
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #50: Apr 06, 2008 11:28:23 am
      How could Bentley fill the gap left by Xabi? Alonso plays as a defensive midfielder whereas Bentley plays predominately on the wing, and on the odd occassions he does play in the middle it's in an attacking role.
      What I'm suggesting Eddie is that he has the abilities to adopt a Xabi role in a better side such as ours, not that I would want to replace Xabi with him by choice.If and I do mean if Xabi goes short term , we need a replacement for that role, and the boy Bently has the ability to do it and has some good attacking football in him,and could be obtained at a price with some sell on value in him ( a point that Rafa seems to aim for).
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #51: Apr 06, 2008 01:04:12 pm
      What I'm suggesting Eddie is that he has the abilities to adopt a Xabi role in a better side such as ours, not that I would want to replace Xabi with him by choice.If and I do mean if Xabi goes short term , we need a replacement for that role, and the boy Bently has the ability to do it and has some good attacking football in him,and could be obtained at a price with some sell on value in him ( a point that Rafa seems to aim for).

Sorry mate but you just said attacking role and Xabi Alonso in the same sentence. Bentley is a winger, full stop.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #52: Apr 06, 2008 02:00:05 pm
      Sorry mate but you just said attacking role and Xabi Alonso in the same sentence. Bentley is a winger, full stop.
      Take your point mate, but he has that role at Blackburn. My point is that imo Xabi was/is at his best as an attacking midfielder scoring some spectacular goals, which is a role I think Bentley could fulfill. Sure he has to be able to get back and defend but with Mascher in the side we can afford the luxury of an attack based midfielder.I didn't start this topic and I wouldn't go out of my way to sign him in preference to Xabi but if Rafa does sign him then I would be happy to see him play preferably RW or as cover for Xabi.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #53: Apr 06, 2008 04:45:46 pm
      Xabi has never played in an attacking role for us he's always played in a deeper role, more as a deep lying playmaker than a natural holding midfielder, but he's always operated in that area of the pitch & not in an attacking role. Bentley would be a good option IMO, but there's no way he'd be a good option as Xabi's replacement, they're nothing like each other in terms of style & the area of the pitch they operate in.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #54: Apr 07, 2008 04:11:32 pm
      Fair point Eddie, I'll get my coat :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #55: Apr 07, 2008 11:37:25 pm
      Apparently Spurs are eager to beat us in the race to get Bentley but personally I dont think they have a chance because he is wanting to move to play european football and we can guarentee him that season after season where as Spurs cant
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #56: Apr 07, 2008 11:54:17 pm
      If Spurs
      Apparently Spurs are eager to beat us in the race to get Bentley but personally I dont think they have a chance because he is wanting to move to play european football and we can guarentee him that season after season where as Spurs cant

If Spurs are eager to land him, then its bound to come down to wage demands as to who will sign him. And i am sure Rafa wont want to start handing out silly wages just to get his man. Although i reckon Bentley is the type of player who wants to suceed at his next club (us) and win medals, so hopefully we will see him here next season.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #57: Apr 09, 2008 11:36:36 pm
      Pulled up an interesting stat the other day...

Pennant was the league leader in crosses when he played at Birmingham...or close to it.

And while bentley takes a mean free kick...and is a bit more direct towards goal...i can smell a flop.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #58: Apr 09, 2008 11:44:24 pm
      Pulled up an interesting stat the other day...

Pennant was the league leader in crosses when he played at Birmingham...or close to it.

And while bentley takes a mean free kick...and is a bit more direct towards goal...I can smell a flop.

Mate I could smell a flop too if Bentley was going to join us. I seriously would rather someone more adventerous than Bentley. I like Quaresma, he's world class and attracts players to tackle him whereas Bentley doesn't!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #59: Apr 10, 2008 02:10:18 am
      I like bentley, his attitude is top notch. I liked quarsema as an option before but im less sure now. He drifts out of a game more than most players can and you forget hes on the field when he's having a bad one. I would like to see him playing for us.

The only problems i have is the drifting out of matches, being over confident (theres confident which we need and then theres over confidence that leads to you looking an idiot and regretting your words perfect example "i will silence the kop". Of all portos players the one i was most happy to see us beat in that 4-1 was ricardo just for that stupid comment then his terrible performance to follow it up) and the other is the price tag - £20-25 million is a BIG risk and although it can go well, e.g. Torres it can go the other way though which was displayed when he went to barca and caused unrest in the team.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #60: Apr 10, 2008 04:43:07 am
      Rafa isnt into Quaresma. He doesnt fit the bill of what Rafa looks for.

Bentley does.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #61: Apr 10, 2008 08:13:04 am
      Rafa isnt into Quaresma. He doesnt fit the bill of what Rafa looks for.

Bentley does.

Didnt stop him bidding for him though thats the thing. I think rafa is only put off by the price tag in all honesty and thats the main thing that puts me off along with the others i listed.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #62: Apr 10, 2008 11:45:24 am
      Rafa is into Mancini. Someone who's got the skills and tricks but also slickness and pace on the ball with brilliant link upo play. Only bad thing is that Mancini is like 28 and Quaresma only 24/25 so there is a bit of an age difference.

If I was Rafa I seriously wouldn't buy players over 25 years old
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #63: Apr 10, 2008 12:56:14 pm
      If I was Rafa I seriously wouldn't buy players over 25 years old

I wouldn't go that far, it can be good to have a few old hands in the squad, but I'd only go for them at a reasonable price. If we're going to play big money for a player it needs to be someone who will be around for a good while or will still be young enough in a few years time to have some resale value.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #64: Apr 10, 2008 08:18:37 pm
      I wouldn't go that far, it can be good to have a few old hands in the squad, but I'd only go for them at a reasonable price. If we're going to play big money for a player it needs to be someone who will be around for a good while or will still be young enough in a few years time to have some resale value.

The best olds to have in the squad are ones who started there young and are still there when they're in their thirties! Hyppia and Carra being prime examples!  ;D
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #65: Apr 12, 2008 12:07:11 pm
      Well, looks like David Bentley is a Liverpool player next season now. How happy should we be of that? Apparently he's got a lot of potential only being 23 years old.

LFC.TV - David Bentley is a player Liverpool are often linked with – how highly do you rate him?

Rafa - He is a good player. People have asked me about him and I say he is a player with quality but I have a lot of respect for the other team and so don't want to say too much.

Hmm I don't want to say too much...
      Sounds like a deal has been between the two clubs, otherwise he'd talk about how dangerous Bentley can be rather than say "don't want to say too much" It's a hint in my opinion
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #66: Apr 12, 2008 12:26:38 pm
      You know when Rafa is on to something.  Watch this space!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #67: Apr 12, 2008 12:29:01 pm
      Do you know what really does annoy me? When I hear people talking about David Bentley saying he's a good winger with a good cross but he's not fast enough for an out and out winger.

This boy is lightning. Been recorded running 21.3mph with the ball, none of our players have run that quick without the ball.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #68: Apr 12, 2008 12:51:39 pm
      He is very quick, I wouldnt trust those nike stats though they arent solid.

Quick Reply