Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Arsenal vs Liverpool - Match Thread

Read 12608 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8582 
      Re: Arsenal vs Liverpool - Match Thread
      Reply #161: Apr 05, 2008 05:27:27 pm
      Considering none of the big boys in midfield started, the lad Plessis looked like he'd been playing there for years, very assured and a major plus for us today.

Another moan about sky - had he started today for Arsenal, the usual muppets in the studio would of been raving about Plessis.

Oh and if Arsene can conjour up and mould left-backs, gray and that rob hawthorne waffling about clichy and troare, what does that say about rafa and defensive midfielders?

Well taken goal by Crouch and overall good display by what is on paper an understrength side.

And finally...........just how pissed off did Wenger look at the final whistle!!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #162: Apr 05, 2008 05:28:11 pm

Thats what I thought though. To be honest I have not really bigged up Skrtel for this exact reason. He's getting caught out far too many times in many games that have gone by but no one has picked up on this yet.

But I'm sure he'll get better, but I don't think he's as good as Daniel Agger yet.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #163: Apr 05, 2008 05:40:02 pm
      Good result i never seen the game tho been on nights all weekend ill catch MOTD sounds like we done ok considering the team we had out.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #164: Apr 05, 2008 05:49:10 pm
      The line up

Reina

Finnan  Carragher  Skrtel  Arbeloa

Plessis

Benanyun   Lucas

Pennant                Riise

Crouch

The introduction of the young Damian is interesting. I have wanted this young lad to debut in the first team.

The formation today was quite different...... and effective. One defensive midfielder in front of the back four. Further tweaking may be able to create a space for Crouch behind Torres. Just bench Alonso.
      « Last Edit: Apr 05, 2008 05:52:37 pm by solodee »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #165: Apr 05, 2008 06:28:29 pm
      I thought the 1st half was a very good performance but in the 2nd it was'nt as good, Pennant I thought needed to go off - he gave away a needless free kick and they scored, he kept losing the ball after that and did anyone notice the way he started limping but when the bal went nea him he ran normally. Voronin had better be sold in the summer, god knows why the hell he gets played when he isn't injured. I think Skrtel has een a good signing but to me he tends to dwell on the ball a bit and ends up getting closed down quick and nearly giving the ball away but he is still adjusting so next season im sure he will have sorted that out. It was good to see that even though crouch has been on the bench alot lately he gave a good performance and what a shot early on ;D, and also a good goal, I hope he sgns the new deal.

On the whole it was a very good result

3 1-1 draws with them now, lets just hope on tuesday it is 0-0 if its going to be a draw ;D.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #166: Apr 06, 2008 05:33:00 am
      I'm happy with the point but would have been ecstatic if Riise, Benayoun and Plessis had of scored in that 1st half, although Plessis'' shot was the most difficult of them all. Imagine Stevie on the end of that shot. Should have been at least 3-0 in up in the 1st half but it's all about converting your chances and once again we failed to do that.

Just knew that ball was going in the back of the net when fabreags took the free kick. What is with our defending of set pieces. sh*t myself every time the opposition has one in a dangerous position.

MOM for me was Carra, brilliant all game, saved us a couple of times.

Agreed with everyone else, Riise and Voronin got to go in the summer. Both had a chance to impress but definitely didn't. As Eddie said, JAR can't get past his man and can not put in a quality cross. Rafa please buy a decent LW in the summer.

As for Voronin, he didn't have much time on the pitch but the time he did, was just a  waste. Didn't even seem interested and deffo should have cut back that ball for Fernando to increase his season tally.

Oh well, it's done now...bring on Tuesday but please Raf don't even bother with JAR and Voronin for the squad.

Last note, a special mention to Damien Plessis...very good debut...keep up the good work and you might just get a couple more games before the end of the season.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #167: Apr 06, 2008 05:36:37 am
      When i saw the midfield of both sides i was worried. They had Gilberto, Fabregas and Flamini against Plessis in his first game, Benny in a sort of defensive role and Pennant and Riise on the wings but credit to all except Riise. Riise was our weakest link in midfield IMO and is definately out in the summer. Pennant showed pace and beats man most of the time, solid effort.

Benny, turned his man with ease and unfortunately with the lone striker and Riise out on the left not even going forward half them time, nothing came out of Benny's work most of the time.

Lucas. Not impressed a whole lot. He was bossed around too much with his slender figure and when your not the tallest lad you have to stock up. He did make some good passes though and stopped some attacks.

Story of the day was Plessis. One thing i noticed about the lad was he stuck to his job and let others do theirs. If he went in for a tackle up the field, he would sprint back into position and IMO thats what you want as a defensive midfielder. Great game son and one of the best on the park.

Crouchy and Carra though were my standouts. Carragher, his pace is something to be desired but when  THeo Walcott runs at you and stop him at Jamie's pace then you know it doesnt matter. Carra shut down everything at the back.

Crouchy, obvious. Weeks without a proper game and managed to frustrate the defence of Arsenal and one to be in my team midweek.

I think after that performance i would use this side:

Reina

Arbeloa      Carragher      Hyypia   Aurellio

Mascherano

Benayoun         Gerrard              Babel

Torres    Crouch

Hyypi and Carra play hoof ball to Crouch and that worked well yesterday. Torres can work off Crouchy and Crouchy will take up some of the attention from the defence. His work cant go unnoticed and must be in the side on Wednesday.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #168: Apr 06, 2008 09:08:17 am
      Bloody hell, Kuyt still manages to get the blame when he wasn't even in the squad :D
      Eddie I think Kuyt must of been the invisible man as I do not recall seeing him,he was not even on the subs bench.I do feel that we will not see Voronin play in the 1st team againafter his dismal showing as a sub.Dont think Pennant did himself any favours either.The new lad seemed to handle the game quite well considering the pressure of the occasion.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #169: Apr 06, 2008 11:25:36 am
      I think Crouch should play.  We seem to play further up the pitch when plays. But this means that we have two up front and I don't think that is going to happen because Benitez know that as long as we don't let a goal in we go through.  So I think its 5 in midfield with Torres up front!

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #170: Apr 06, 2008 06:29:29 pm

Plessis and Crouchy were the highlights of today...

Lowlight... Pepe aerial challenges (or lack of) at set pieces - come on Pepe get your cojones together lad.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #171: Apr 06, 2008 06:48:54 pm
      Well this game was a breath of fresh air to the way we have been playing recently, and that's not a dig at the boss at all just mealy noticing that when you play the likes of Pennant, Yossi, Lucas and Crouch you are gonna get good attacking football.  Crouch played well beyond expectations considering how many starts he has actually had this season and as a lone striker yesterday how can you leave this guy out of so many games?  I was also impressed with the likes of Arbeloa, Finnan the new lad Plessis who looks very promising and maybe he will be used a bit more before the end of the season to gain a bit more experience in the side before the season end. 

What would we do without Carra though and Skrtel too that's some partnership they have back there, Skrtel reminds me of a younger Hyypia in some ways with experience beyond his years and forward thinking.  I do feel that leaves us a big problem though when Agger finally returns as who would you play alongside Carra? a guy who's cost £5m and showed on many occasions that he is worthy of a first team place every week, or the new lad you signed for cover who has proved to be so much more and grown so quickly when you remember we only signed him in Jan and he has been thrown in the deep end with fantastic results?

In the first game we played Arsenal I felt that they were more likely to score as they matched our runs really well and I have always admired the way they can turn the heat up in a game when it looks like being a stalemate, whereas the game yesterday was completely different in terms of speed going forward and closing them down alot better.  I also think that the defence we played yesterday has to be our best at the moment with two fairly quick guys on the wings and Carra with the ever impressive Skrtel keeping the goal shut (pity we still can't handle bloody set pieces though) I was certain they was going to be more goals and noticed that Plessis tried a Gerrard corker from 25 yards which would have been an excellent way to spend your debut!

I have to say though I put down 1-1 for the first CL game, but I really though that we would have lost this one due to Arsenal wanting to stay in the title race and I have never seen a manager so agitated like Wenger was yesterday.  That's the great thing about football at this level it means so much and I almost felt sorry for the guy had it not been us who was looking more likely to hand them a home defeat.  It all looks very ominous now at the top with United being held by Boro, Arsenal being held by us and Chelsea closing the gap.  Ah well sh*t happens I guess but one thing is for sure we are gonna play some pretty good football over the next few games and I'm excited about next season already!

Next up Arsenal 2-0 home win I'll go for with Babel and Gerrard (free kick) the scorers and Arsenal's dreams of some silverware getting blown away by our solid defence and 12th man! , Bring on United!

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #172: Apr 06, 2008 10:23:09 pm
      Yeah, I cannot wait for next season. We'll show 'em all how we can truly play now that Rafa has this rotation system sorted. I just pray that he doesn't sell key players, (i.e. Benayoun, Crouch, Skrtel. Stranger things have happened!) ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8582 
      Reply #173: Apr 06, 2008 11:17:04 pm
      Why would he sell Skrtel - he's F***ing boss!!!!!

Currently liking the lad more than Agger.

Personally I cannot wait for Tuesday night - Europe is the new Black!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #174: Apr 07, 2008 06:56:17 am
      Personally I cannot wait for Tuesday night - Europe is the new Black!!

I prefer white meself.

As for selling Skrtel..... ??? ::) :confused-smiley-013: :angry-smiley-034: :action-smiley-060: :f_whistle: :stress_h4h:
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #175: Apr 07, 2008 01:34:01 pm
      ;D at the comments above regarding selling Skrtel, I doubt very much he was brought in just for cover but more to challenge Agger, Carra  and Hyypia for a first team place.  I think the defence we saw on Saturday is the same we will see tomorrow night with maximum effect on home soil! 

2-0 to the reds!

Quick Reply