Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Gangster threat to shoot Gerrard

Read 4733 times
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Gangster threat to shoot Gerrard
      Apr 10, 2008 06:58:17 pm
      The father of Steven Gerrard last night revealed how a notorious figure from the Merseyside underworld had threatened to shoot the Liverpool FC captain in the legs and maim him.

Gerrard’s father Paul said they recruited John Kinsella as a fixer to “sort out” George Bromley Jnr, who had terrorised the Huyton- born midfielder for two years.

The revelations came in a letter written by Paul Gerrard on Tuesday, the day his son was leading Liverpool FC to a famous Champions League victory against Arsenal at Anfield.

It was submitted as evidence yesterday in a robbery trial at Lincoln Crown Court, where Kinsella is one of four co-accused from Liverpool.

The jury was told that Gerrard, 27, was placed under police protection because the thug was “making his life a misery”, including, on one occasion, ambushing the footballer outside his apartment in Southport.

Kinsella, 43, is one of four men accused of taking part in a ÂŁ41,000 robbery in which a haulage depot nightwatchman was tied up.

But he claims he was in the area of the raid at the time only in his role as an under- world enforcer – a job he once carried out for the Gerrards.

In the letter from Paul Gerrard – which was confirmed as genuine after police visited him yesterday (Wed) – he told of the “total respect” he and his multi-millionaire son had for Kinsella, after he helped put an end to their “nightmare.”

Mr Gerrard wrote: “I would like to say that, in 2001, my son Steven was being terror- ised by a notorious Liverpool gangster known as ‘The Psycho’, who was threatening to maim my son by shooting him in the legs. Also, he was trying to extort a large amount of money from Steven.

“We immediately contacted the police and asked for protection. This went on for a long time, during which Steven’s car was smashed up and the gangster chased him while he was driving home from training.

“This was one of the worst times of our lives. It was really having a bad effect on his career. Liverpool FC provided security for Steven, but the threats still kept coming.

“We were at our wits’ end when we were introduced by a family friend to John Kinsella. I told him about the ongoing threats and violence. John then reassured me and my family he would resolve our nightmare.

“From that time until this day, we have never had any more problems from the Liverpool underworld. Steven and I have total respect for John for what he did for us. Yours faithfully, Paul Gerrard.”

Giving evidence, Kinsella said he was contacted by the star’s family after Gerrard was threatened by Liverpool gangster George Bromley Jnr.

He said: “I took steps. I spoke to George Bromley Jnr. I told him to stop it and leave him alone. After I had spoken to him, he followed my advice.”

Kinsella, a boxer and martial arts expert, said his work for Gerrard was just one example of how he collected debts and sorted out problems for people.

He told the jury: “On one occasion, a Liverpool football player, Steven Gerrard, was being terrorised by a Liverpool gangster.

“It started in 2001, and I spoke to his father in 2003. One of his family approached me and said this person was making Steven’s life a misery.

“He was demanding money with menaces and threatening to shoot Steven in the legs. He ambushed Steven outside his apartment in Southport.”

Kinsella said Bromley Jnr was the man responsible for the campaign of terror against the star, adding: “George Bromley Jnr is a young lad.

“He was a very violent figure in Liverpool, and his father was well-known in the underworld as being an enforcer – mainly on the club scene.

“But George Bromley Snr is not alive any more. He was executed at his friend’s house – he was shot a number of times in the head.

“I know George Bromley Jnr is a very dangerous man. Steven was given armed police protection because they feared for his safety that much.

“A member of his family approached me. I met his father, Paul. His father came with one of his family to ask me to do something about this.”

Kinsella said he had secured proof of his claims from Gerrard’s father after visiting him on Tuesday – hours before Liverpool’s clash with Arsenal.

“I saw Steven Gerrard’s father yesterday. He has provided me with a letter confirming what I have just said,” Kinsella told the jury.

“He is just recovering from a hernia operation. He had actually come out of hospital yesterday morning when I knocked on his front door.”

Kinsella said that, on another occasion, he was “called in” by a Merseyside garage owner who was being threatened by a protection racket.

The man was “absolutely terrified” after a gang of thugs, aged between 16 and 26, told him to hand over £1,000 a week, he claimed.

He said: “They were a formidable force. But, after I spoke to the leader, the garage owner didn't have any problems with them that I know of.”

The trial continues.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/04/10/gangster-in-threat-to-shoot-steven-gerrard-64375-20744034/

....I remember hearing about this when the rumour was going around Liverpool about it at the time. Never knew it was true though!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,717 posts | 3723 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Gangster threat to shoot Gerrard
      Reply #1: Apr 10, 2008 07:49:12 pm
      Hope that the jury will make the gangsters pay for all bad things they made.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • Š Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #2: Apr 10, 2008 08:06:32 pm
      I knew nothing about this!  :o

Just goes to show, most of us have criticised his form these last few months but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes... These are paid professionals, and very well paid, so I don't often have much sympathy for them, but this is terrible... I can honestly say that my respect for Gerrard had gone up even more (if it's possible!), because to carry on playing at the highest level, and delivering the goods too (his goal scoring on it's own this year has been invaluable) whilst his health, career and even life have been threatened! He is truly fantastic!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #3: Apr 10, 2008 08:40:18 pm
      His old fella lives next to me Nan.

Best give her a call, tell her to lock up early. ;)
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #4: Apr 10, 2008 09:20:28 pm
      F***ing hell this is deep, I had no idea all this had happened I can only hope that now it's out the guys making the threats will be dealt with accordingly.  Poor Steven he must be feeling well sh*t right now and worrying about all this going on, yet he still puts out a decent performance.  Talk about occupational hazards this must be the worst form!
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #5: Apr 10, 2008 09:42:10 pm
      ....just to make it clear , this was waaayyyy back in 2001. It dose say in the article somewhere. Only came out now cause Steven's dad has given evidence for the feller who sorted this gangster out for steven as he is being charged for a robbery.

...to think though  , he didnt half put in some performances in that treble winning season and he had all this to deal with !
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #6: Apr 10, 2008 09:52:51 pm
      We all knew Stevie was having some 'issues' off the field.

Getting shot in the legs certainly wouldn't help Benitez team selection thats for sure. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7: Apr 10, 2008 10:08:51 pm
      Well if he had shot gerrard in the legs then he would of been living in fear knowing the kop was after him ;D
      red1
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #8: Apr 11, 2008 12:15:19 am
      i guess the red half of Merseyside are after him now I hope. Guess he's a Evertonian, but to be that bitter, dear oh dear. He might be hard but does he not realise he'll have most of the city against him for upsetting Stevie.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Apr 11, 2008 04:25:58 am
      He is a gangster! He doesnt care who is after him. Sick and twisted the guy is and to be nick named 'The Psycho' is something to be aware of. Feck me dead just let the guy kick a ball around some grass for God's sake!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #10: Apr 11, 2008 04:34:20 am
      I had no idea about this poor lad. Dont worry we will always have your back.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #11: Apr 11, 2008 07:00:01 am
      Just goes to show how impotent Merseyside Police are when some "gangster" has to step in to sort out what they are paid to do, f***in wankers. 
      Good job Mr. Kinsella is not a bitter?
      Anyway on a brighter note he'll be alright for tickets for the rest of his life
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #12: Apr 11, 2008 07:24:00 am
      I guess the red half of Merseyside are after him now I hope. Guess he's a Evertonian, but to be that bitter, dear oh dear. He might be hard but does he not realise he'll have most of the city against him for upsetting Stevie.
      He's just a little pr**k trying to live up to his fathers reputation.
      I knew his father well and I for one wouldn't like him on my case, the expressions "hand full" and "tenacious" spring to mind!
      He absolutely terrorised a friend of mine, so much so that when he was shot, they had a party!!

So if his son is even half as bad as his dad Stevie had problems believe me!
      My politics are most definitely left wing, but I would advocate taking this individual around the back of the court and the only thing he would get from me would be a single bullet in the back of the head!!
      I have it on good authority that he's a total sociopath, a menace to society.

Anyway if you live by the sword you'll die by it, his father is a testimony to that adage.
      One further thing I now about Liverpool, and that there is always somebody else harder and more ruthless than you out there?

So George Jnr, take this advise son its for free, cause I now some bigger and fiercer nutcases than Mr. Kinsella, and they are mad reds!!
      « Last Edit: Apr 11, 2008 07:30:46 am by neilh2105 »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #13: Apr 11, 2008 08:58:00 am
      Stevie deserves full admiration to keep playing after the threats that were made against him.As RedScousel said this happened in 2001 so Stevie was quite young then and it must of been a hell of a burden he had to carry.It makes me think if this was the reason he nearly left us for Chelsea a couple of years later,now the facts are out and the break in at his house its no wonder he has looked jaded at times.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #14: Apr 11, 2008 09:24:59 pm
      I suppose this is one of the reason's why we shouldn't get on player's backs..........none of us know what goes on behind the scenes, and it's only when things like this come out, you realise what pressure they are under at times.

If this is what fame and fortune bring ........you can keep it  :(
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #15: Apr 12, 2008 05:27:40 pm
      There was always rumours of this but now its came to light Stevie must having been shitting himself but he still produced the goods on the pitch,respect Stevie lad.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #16: Apr 12, 2008 08:21:48 pm
      Shows how F***ing hard Gerrard is doesnt it, hard to keep playing and performing while sh*te like that was going on, hope that F***ing pr**k dies in jail. And about time someone shot that f**ker too, this is why all the houses have been done over of the players I bet!!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #17: Apr 12, 2008 08:31:43 pm
      Well done stevie, dont think many others could go on about there buisness the way you did!

good job your dad got someone to sort them gangstars out, I wonder who it was he got?
      red1
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #18: Apr 13, 2008 12:55:28 am
      magillionaire fantastic video very good ;D

Quick Reply