Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Liverpool v Arsenal CL (2nd Leg) Match Thread & Team News

Read 16732 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Liverpool v Arsenal CL (2nd Leg) Match Thread & Team News
      Reply #207: Apr 09, 2008 10:24:15 am
      I think i am ready to analyse our game.

WHAT A F*CKING PERFORMANCE!

That is all.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #208: Apr 09, 2008 10:26:27 am
      There's also the FA cup semi 2 years ago where we beat them 2-1

I only count chap. league,  :f_sorry: mate!!! hope we will win like previous semi-finals.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #209: Apr 09, 2008 10:39:15 am
      Anyone see Fabrigas big fat dirty shirt tug on Babbel just before he shot in the 4th?  whats the point?  Just plain dirty dirty Arsenal?

Yea I saw that and this just proves that if he can get through on goal he will rather than going down.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #210: Apr 09, 2008 10:39:53 am
      The first leg will take place at Anfield on Tuesday, 22 April with the second leg at Stamford Bridge the following week on Wednesday, 30 April. Both matches will kick-off at 7.45pm.

Waa hey!!!!!!!!!!!
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #211: Apr 09, 2008 10:46:23 am
      Highlight comments:

'Great passage of play' saw Abu Diaby beat Pepe Reina.......... (I thought there was a ball control with the upper side of the arm before the passage......)

'Ever sloppy Senderous' gave Hyypia way too much room to equalize with a well taken header (  :lmao: )

Liverpool got a deserved second as 'The impeccable Torres' scored (Word!)

Arsenal sub theo layed the ball for Adebayour..... (blah! blah! blah!)

Steven Gerrard stepped up to make 3 - 2 before Babel's injury time 4th saw them into the semis....

Wenger: Dodgy decision from the referee! (What?!!) - Sore loser!
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #212: Apr 09, 2008 10:49:31 am
      Anyone see Fabrigas big fat dirty shirt tug on Babbel just before he shot in the 4th?  whats the point?  Just plain dirty dirty Arsenal?

Sorry mate but if my team had a chance of going back to 3-3 & a possible goal was coming for 4-2 I'd risk the Red card.

But Babel scored any way :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #213: Apr 09, 2008 10:52:42 am
      Sorry mate but if my team had a chance of going back to 3-3 & a possible goal was coming for 4-2 I'd risk the Red card.

But Babel scored any way :D

I spotted it and i would too. Penalty anyways had it affected him.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #214: Apr 09, 2008 10:54:27 am
      A nice article I found...
      http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_soccerblog/2008/04/rafas-signing-i.html

Rafa's signing is all the difference in win
      Posted by Brant Parsons on Apr 9, 2008 4:13:00 AM
      Discuss This: Comments (0) | TrackBack (0) | Linking Blogs | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it
      They'll never raise a statue at Liverpool in honor of Rafa Benitez.

And while Bill Shankly might have his gates, the only piece of Anfield that could ever grace Rafa's name might be one of the many turnstiles due to his much maligned rotation policy.

But on a brilliant European night at Anfield, it was Rafa's vision in January that helped see the Reds past Arsenal.

Liverpool's fans were calling for much more action in the month-long transfer window than they got. And what they did get did leave some fans scratching their heads.

Yes, it was Martin Skrtel that was brought in and it was Rafa's genius is doing so that might be the reason that Liverpool are in their third European semifinal in four years.

While the rest of the world focuses on penalties and which ones were called and which weren't, it was Skrtel's rock-like performance at the back that made the difference for Liverpool.

The Slovakia international saved the Reds on many occasions, being perfectly placed to thwart an Arsenal attack and it was Skrtel that ultimately slowed down Arsenal's last chance for victory.

In the 90th minute, a still-fighting Arsenal side set up a beautiful 1-2, with Arsenal breaking toward the goal, Skrtel's boot was all that was standing between an Arsenal reply to the penalty and a semifinal date with Chelsea. We know the outcome to that one.

The rest of the final flurry was punctuated by Skrtel's head stopping any hope of a last second winner for the Gunners.

So while everyone will jump to praise Torres - while his goal was typical of the Spaniard, brilliantly placed in front of the Kop, he was absent for much of the match - and Gerrard - the captain stayed calm to slot home the winning penalty on a night that may have been his worst ever performance in Europe - I'll direct my praise at the man of the match, Skrtel.

I guess Rafa might know what he is doing after all.

I agree with this guy about Skirty. MOTM world class performance
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #215: Apr 09, 2008 11:06:28 am
      Just had a row with an Arsenal fan on the phone!

He says that we only beat them because they were so tired...

When will some people understand...

Our comparitive freshness on the second half is down to one thing - ROTATION.

Last night Benitez gave Wenger a lesson in what fruit season long ROTATION bears at the business end of a season...

Our comparitive freshness paid off... and it wasn't coincidence or bad luck - IT IS SYSTEMATICALLY PLANNED FOR by Rafa and his team.

Forget the penalty... we would have sneaked a late winner anyway... Arsenal were DEAD men walking (apart from Walcott).

Arsenal are proving to be VERY BAD losers ...once again.

I.R.W.T.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #216: Apr 09, 2008 11:12:37 am
      Agreed very much, top stuff! I admit i was one who was scratching their heads but Rafa yet again prevails.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #217: Apr 09, 2008 11:16:10 am
      Isn't it just funny. The two keepers for Chelsea are sidelined with injuries, They have only a third keeper available. Essien is also banned. We should strive to kill them off in Anfield.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #218: Apr 09, 2008 11:17:04 am
      I have 'some' sympathy as in both games they were identical fouls which should have been penalty's.

However the margin between the two clubs was paper thin through both matches.

I still think towards the end of the game we would have grabbed the winner, and Ryan Babel's goal made things a bit more respectable.

Aurelio should have clattered Walcott when he had the chance.  Most other sides would have done exactly the same thing. 

But great performance.  Arsenal may play some nice touch football but they had limited chances last night and the reds were more ruthless.

Fantastic night, fantastic atmosphere.  I just hope the reds don't take their eyes off the Premiership.

And we've already had a QPR fan quoting our 'unbelievable luck in this tournament' on the website.
      http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2008/liverpool-4-2-arsenal/
      Makes me laugh, the number of sides we 'shouldn't have knocked out' in the last 4 years.

Rafa's a genius.  When he gets it right in the Premiership we're going to be dominant for years.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #219: Apr 09, 2008 11:23:52 am
      Well I've got a really bad hangover !
      After the match, lets just say a couple of bad influences persuaded me to go on the lash celebrating in Blackpool.
      No idea what time I got in, but I'm suffering.

The game - well where do you start ?

Outside the ground before kick off was bouncing.
      Went to the Sandon, packed as usual, so stood outside on the side road where the atmosphere was building.
      Everyone seemed to be up for the match,and the songs were booming out all around.

I went into the ground quite early this time, don't know quite why still, but I was up for it.
      The Kop was bouncing early doors, and I took my seat Row 5 and bang on line of the Kop penalty area. (different seat for me for the European games).

Kick off, and GAME ON.

The first 30 mins, any true football fan would agree, Arsenal were simply brilliant. We were made to look ordinary, no matter how hard we worked, but they play some fantastic football, and I don't think any team in Europe could of got near them early doors.
      There goal - well taken and hit very hard. At first I thought Reina could of done better, but seeing a replay of it, I'm not going to fault him. It was all a bit wierd, initially we were thinking, has the ball actually gone into the net ?, as we were on the other side, but as soon as the ref blew for the goal, then Arsenal fans began to celebrate. It was all a bit weird, but it needed something like there goal to get us going.

30 mins gone and we force a corner. You could sence something from Liverpool now. We were down at Anfield, and the advantage wiped out.
      Heroe's were needed, step up Sami Hyppia.
      If ever a better header has been scored of late, please, answers on a postcard.
      What a headed, directed with accuracy.
      Now game on, and the atmosphere steps up to a higher level.

We are now the team in charge, but still wary of that away goal rule.

Half time 1 - 1 and overall satisfied that we are back in the match, and all to play for.

Second half, and we are attacking the Kop end.

Torres brings the ball down, turns and smacks the ball straight into the top right corner of the net !! King Kenny would of been proud of that !!
      What a goal, what a player, what an atmosphere now.
      Torres reels away to the corner flag, as we all are screaming, shouting and embracing each other.
      Is Anfield going to see another famous night ?

The match is now all Liverpool. But we are still aware that if Arsenal score, then we need another.
      Adebayor misses a sitter, is this our night ? We are thinking so !!

Then enter Wallcott.
      What a run, taking on 6 ? Liverpool players, before playing in a great ball for Adebayor to slot home.
      Gutted !!
      All you can hear is the Arsenal supporters. Painfull.

The Kop were down, Anfield was down.
      I couldn't believe it. I didn't want it. I stood on my seat screaming at all around to get behind our boys, screaming at the Kop to wake up again, 'GET F***ing BEHIND THEM FOR FUCKS SAKE, C'MON GET F***ing BEHIND THEM'

Suddenly (and not down to me) the crowd rallied and we all began to lift the players.
       2 -2 and we are going out again, not long left - but this is Europe, and we are Liverpool.

Babal into the area, and believe me, I had a clear view - HE WAS BEING HELD.
      (Arsenal fans on 909 radio on the way home bleating on - F**k OFF)
      Down he goes, all eyes on the ref - Penalty !!

Less than a minute after restarting from losing a goal, we now have real hope again.
      Gerrard picks the ball up, places it and measures his run up.
      I'm thinking, 'he's not looking too confident, Please, Please put that ball into the net'
      A couple of strides to the ball, and the net bulges yet again !!!
      3 - 2 and we are in the driving seat again !!

What a game. Are there to be anymore twists ?
      Arsenal pressed and pressed as you'd expect, 3 mins of injury time were shown and surely were through.

Time for one more Arsenal attack, but Kuyt lobs the ball forward.
      Babel looks to win the race for the ball as Almunia hurriedly gets back into his net.
      The crowd draw breath, Babel takes aim, and BINGO were through now !!
      4 - 2 and no team on the planet can break us now.
      I'm just stood on my seat, arms raised and saying 'Thank You' to anyone listening in the sky.

Time maybe for one more ?, Alsono has a shot from the half way line, Almunia scrambles back and tips it over.
      But whilst we are watching this, the refs decides enough is enough - Arsenal you took one hell of a beating, and blows for full time.
      Again wierd mixed reactions at first, but the match is over and time to celebrate !!

Lads, all of you were hero's again.
      I'm going to say Sami was my man of the match. He was simply awesome, and another goal to his collection.

Even leaving the old great stadium, everyone was still bouncing.
      People screaming, singing, chanting - what a night.

I'm so proud to be part of Liverpool Football Club.
      Nights like last night are so special.

Now, who's next  ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #220: Apr 09, 2008 11:24:38 am
      Just replied to that QPR fan. Poor bugger :D
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #221: Apr 09, 2008 11:26:10 am
      Aurelio should have clattered Walcott when he had the chance.  Most other sides would have done exactly the same thing. 

So true JD. How they all allowed him to have an unimpeded run straight into our 18 yard box with enough time to lay the ball for the goal, I can never understand. One thing is, it left me gasping for breathe. WTF was that about. Good point.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #222: Apr 09, 2008 11:27:36 am
      Why do I get the feeling that this game is gonna be one of those magic moments on another champions league winners dvd ???
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #223: Apr 09, 2008 11:32:33 am
      Great post tommo, good to know how you got on. On the subject, I gotta congratulate all the fans there last night, they made a F**k load of noise even when we were 1-0 down and going out. I heard about one line of the tiresome "wheres your famous atmosphere" from the Arsenal fans before it was completely drowned out by 40000 Liverpool fans. Near the end it looked like most of Anfield was on its feet, amazing stuff.

Anyway, I can't write a long thing on this game, though it deserves it. Arsenal outplayed us for the majority of the match, but we stuck at it and we had our own periods of domination. Two wonderful goals, Walcotts run and Torres' turn and snapshot, alot of back and forth action and controversy... the tie had it all. Great to watch, though I have sympathy for the Arsenal fans on the penalty decisions, both were penalties, and we got the only one. However I think Wenger is a sore loser, complaining about how he thought our penalty was most certainly not, whereas theirs in the first leg definately was... He can piss off, the biased pr**k, and instead maybe he should blame his own side for missing some pretty easy chances. Adebayor 1 on 1 springs to mind....

I really don't know what else to write but I'm very proud of the boys, they fought hard and never gave up and have got the reward to show.

Bring on the Chelski scum, let's make it 3 out of 3 against them in the semis. :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #224: Apr 09, 2008 11:42:06 am
      I agree with everything artaylor, EXCEPT i dont think they had too much control on the game that some people are claiming. They dominated the first 20 then we did. We dominated till the 82nd to 84th then it was ours again. I think the passing flow of Arsenal mislead some people IMO because we were more dominant of the 2 throughout the match.

With Arsene though, what a pr**k. Admit your team lost and get to grip with no more silverware AGAIN! b***ard.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #225: Apr 09, 2008 11:51:24 am

Live when Walcott was making his run, I shouted out "chop him, chop him"...another voice from the back of the room said "No, don't - Not the Liverpool way"... next thing, it's in the net!

Aurelio was on a CL booking (from Inter game)... it would not have been a red, but a sure yellow and he would have missed the semi, that surely must have crossed his mind.

But for future reference, F**k the Liverpool way at moment like that... we are Liverpool we are class, we are fair... but at super-critical moments like that... we MUST BE PROFESSIONAL, which doesn't mean we are cheats... just ask Wenger, Ferguson, Maureen... all top managers will forsake a critical yellow at critical moments, it's silly/lazy yellows that pisses everybody off.

Still nursing a very sore head... but so worth it!

ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #226: Apr 09, 2008 01:14:26 pm
      In hindsight I'm happy none of the lads fouled Walcott as I think its a very unfair thing to do, but I'd probably be ranting on about it now if we had gone out! Fair play to the lad, I think he was probably the only Arsenal player that did himself justice, maybe Eboue too but the rest were totally outplayed. Yes they had their slick passes every now and then and its nice to look at but results are what matters and judging the game as a whole we definately deserved to win. Another fantastic European performance and playing like that we will not lose to any team left in the competition. Just want to give credit to any users here who were at the game, theres a reason we're known for having the best fans in the world and its because of guys like you, the place sounded like it was about to explode with pure passion and the fans played almost as much a part in the result as Rafa or the players did. YNWA & IRWT
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #227: Apr 09, 2008 01:24:20 pm
      I aged about 10 years last night!! I tell ye lads Liverpool FC will be the death of me but I'll die happy!!

By he way im ecstatic for Babel I called for him to be dumped in to reserves last week. Thanks for shoving them words down my throat kid
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #228: Apr 09, 2008 01:31:35 pm
      Tommo mate brilliant read good to hear it come from somebody that was there. The support was just F***ing  fantastic the whole game unbelievable, another thing that struck me and makes me laugh now I clearly remember hearing the ref's whistle blow after every Arsenal goal because Anfield just froze in utter silence. Very scary at the time but makes me laugh when I think about it. I dont think that Arsenal outplayed us, well not to the extent that some claim we had plenty of chances ourselves to even kill the game off at 2-1. We looked the fresher side and more composed then them.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #229: Apr 09, 2008 01:31:46 pm
      can I also add that I thought Riise accepting the high 5 from the fella in the Kemlyn last night when he was going to get the ball for a throw was a nice touch. Fair play John

Quick Reply