Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Tom Hicks: Liverpool deserves one strong owner - me

Read 4931 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Tom Hicks: Liverpool deserves one strong owner - me
      Apr 12, 2008 10:33:04 pm
      Looks like the war is far from over, how low can this man get ?  Tomorrow's Mail on Sunday:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=559299&in_page_id=1779&ct=5 

Liverpool joint owner Tom Hicks has escalated the battle for control of Anfield to breaking point by insisting that he wants to introduce a new team to run the club's finances within the next six weeks.

The Texan's declaration of intent is the latest round in his increasingly bitter stand-off with fellow American owner George Gillett and the club's chief executive, Rick Parry.

Hicks called for Parry's resignation last week, a demand that the chief executive described as 'offensive', coming as it did just 48 hours after Liverpool's epic Champions League win against Arsenal.

Now, in a wide-ranging interview with The Mail on Sunday ahead of Liverpool's home game against Blackburn today, Hicks says he wants Parry removed from the job he has held for 10 years and a new CEO to be in position before the end of May.

Hicks is understood to favour the promotion to chief executive of commercial director Ian Ayre, a Liverpudlian who was brought in to the club last year to try to boost Liverpool's revenue-making operations around the world.

Hicks accuses Parry of holding back the development of the club, both in its commercial growth and on the pitch, and of having been actively involved in the controversial talks with Jürgen Klinsmann last year that effectively started the civil war at Anfield by undermining the position of Rafa Benitez as manager.

The American claims that Parry has 'refused to interact' with Ayre and his commercial team and that only the chief executive's removal from his job would enable Benitez to sign the players he wants in order to mount a credible title challenge.

Hicks said: "Rick Parry has been Liverpool's CEO for 10 years and we haven't won a league championship under his leadership. Our commercial revenues have not kept up with other top clubs during that time, which has made it very difficult to compete for the Premier League.

"After watching him operate, I came to the conclusion it was time to ask him to resign, due to his inability to manage an organisation, his seemingly arrogant attitude to our supporters and his lack of communication with Rafa.

"I reached my decision a few weeks ago but waited until after the games against Everton and Arsenal. It is important to try to have a new CEO in place by May so we can begin working with Rafa on player transfers."

Parry, who has the support of Gillett as the two Americans jostle for control of the £400 million Liverpool empire, is understood to be astonished that question marks could be placed against his record as an administrator both with the Premier League, where he was also chief executive, and with Liverpool.

He says a meeting of the six-man Liverpool board should be called to discuss Hicks's accusations.

As the board consists of Hicks, Gillett, their sons, Tommy Hicks jnr and Foster Gillett, Parry himself and former chairman David Moores, Parry is confident that the Gillett camp would win any vote of confidence in him by a 4-2 majority.

Parry said: "I stand by my track record in English football and as chief executive of Liverpool Football Club. It would be inappropriate for me to comment in detail on these allegations — that should be a matter for the Liverpool board.

"In fact, I would welcome an opportunity to discuss these matters with our co-owners and board colleagues. This continuous airing of issues in the media is clearly not helpful at this crucial stage of our season."

Helpful or not, Hicks is intent on setting his version of events before the Liverpool public. He is known to be particularly annoyed at being blamed for going behind Benitez's back to meet Klinsmann when he claims the meeting was primarily set up by Gillett, with Parry's knowledge.

Parry does not deny having been at crucial discussions with Klinsmann, the former German World Cup player and coach, but says he was there at the instruction of Hicks and Gillett.

Hicks insists Liverpool need a single strong owner at the helm.

He promised that if he takes full control Benitez would be given a long-term deal, and he vowed to eliminate the majority of the club's debt before they run out in a planned new stadium at Stanley Park in 2011.

Hicks said: "It's time for Liverpool to have one strong owner to give Rafa the support he needs to win trophies, grow our commercial revenues worldwide and build the best stadium in the world. I believe I am that owner.

"Under my ownership, Ian Ayre, Philip Nash [the finance director] and Rafa Benitez would make an outstanding management team. As we prepare to move into our new stadium in 2011, we will have the resources to be competitive year in and year out, and restore Liverpool Football Club to its position as the No 1 club in the world."

Benitez, who wants to sign three players in the summer, has complained in the past that the club have risked losing stars because of a lack of urgency in the transfer market.

Parry was also heavily criticised for not letting regular fans know the details of how tickets for last season's Champions League final in Athens were allocated. Hicks said he would ask Gillett to support the ending of Parry's contract.

"If he chooses not to, the record will be clear," said Hicks.

He is aware that he and Gillett are not popular with sections of the Liverpool fan-base who are fed up with the ownership saga dragging on for months. "I can certainly understand the fans' concerns," said Hicks.

Meanwhile, Moores, the man who sold the club to the two Americans 14 months ago, has hit out at their feuding. "It makes the club a laughing stock and that's not acceptable," he said. "This is not what the club is about. It is embarrassing and not an acceptable way of doing things. It needs to be resolved as quickly as possible. The two owners have got to stop thinking of themselves and start thinking of the club, its values, traditions and heritage."
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Re: Tom Hicks: Liverpool deserves one strong owner - me
      Reply #1: Apr 12, 2008 11:04:24 pm
      Split the topic. Definitely deserves a new thread.

So Tom Hicks out on the offensive.  To be fair you can hardly argue with his supposed logic.  Rick Parry is a buffoon.  However with the six week deadline approaching when Gillett can sell his stake to whomever he wants this could get very interesting.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #2: Apr 12, 2008 11:12:34 pm
      Cheers KK, this man is lower than a snakes belly, how stupid does he think we fans are, I for one cannot take anything Hicks says seriously, I just laugh at him now. He's a chancer and I am not one bit worried about him, simply because I am convinced he is all talk.  Has anything he said actually come to fruition yet ?

He is outvoted on the board at this time therefore Mr Ayre's will not become CEO, that will never happen. I very much doubt Rafa is siding with Hicks either, Rafa is doing the wisest thing and keeping his head down and concentrating on the team.

We sadly need Parry on the board simply because he has one vote, that is a vote against Hicks, I'll say one thing though that it has come to something truly incredible that most people are supporting Parry given all the sh*t he has put the fans through.

I agree with Hicks's points about transfers and commerical strength but come on, lets not be fooled, he is trying to divide the fanbase, don't let it work.

The fans love Rafa, what happens next? He backs Rafa.
      The fans don't like Parry, what happens next? He wants Parry out.
      He knew the level of commercial activities at the club months ago and he has just come out with this now!! No, he's done it for a reason and that reason is to gain favour with the fans.

He is trying to win us over, it will not work.

Hicks must go, then Gillett, then Parry.

IRWT.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #3: Apr 12, 2008 11:18:05 pm
      Definitely trying to divide the fans.  Unfortunately some of those so-called self-appointed fans groups, the likes you find dominating conversations on RAWK and the other more activist forums, have been talking to Tom Hicks Jnr and feeding him all this ammunition.

We all know Parry is a plank.  But it was Hicks who was warning Rafa to 'concentrate on training the players' when he expressed dissatisfaction earlier.  This Ian Ayre is clearly in the Hicks camp which makes him a danger. 

Hicks continuance to do this all through the media is making me sick.  The Daily Mail? Come on for fucks sake.

It's all about posturing and the more he does it, the more the majority of sensible Liverpool fans will see through him for exactly what he his - a chancer.

HE WILL NEVER BE WELCOME AT ANFIELD AGAIN.  None of the other board members can even stand him.

6 weeks to go.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #4: Apr 12, 2008 11:22:57 pm
      Oh, and here's the link to Ian Ayre's arrival

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,3445.0.html

kwame30
      • Forum John Barnes

• 420 posts |
      Reply #5: Apr 12, 2008 11:36:11 pm
      more empty promises from hicks, go and f***k your self you lying c**t  >:(
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #6: Apr 12, 2008 11:48:06 pm
      If this gets overly messy in the summer, I honestly believe Rafa will walk - believe me he will, because he has done it before on a club.

He needs stability like the rest of us... for many reasons that affect what his role at the club is... if he doesn't envisage that stability do you really think he wants another year like the last to cripple his (now) rotund body with stress. I don't think so... because sooner or later his missus will be the one telling him to call it a day, for his own  personal health.

I.R.W.T.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #7: Apr 13, 2008 12:16:32 am
      This man is under a lot of power, and us fans moaning or sending threats to him probably won't even last 2 minutes on his mind. He doesn't care how much we dislike his guts, he'll do what he wants, not what the fans want.

At the end of the day, no matter how much DIC offer him, he'll reject. He'll reject because he knows over the time he'll get plenty more money out of us. A good buisness to his pocket this Liverpool FC are.

He'll be here next season, and the one after... just like the Glaziers! However, the Glaziers at least listened to their manager when he wanted something, now if Rafa wants something then Hicks must listen to him!

Trust me this guy aint gonna budge!
      red1
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #8: Apr 13, 2008 12:52:58 am
      Get the message Hicks, Parry F**k off now, lies. Gillett out to for bringoing Hicks in. They don't own the club as such they got bank loans out didnt they? How's that different to anyone else getting a loan. I'd loved to have had my bank managers trust, excuse me lend me a few million so I can say I own the mighty reds, ta very much like. Moores give us a big apology for getting us in this mess, resign as honory president and keep seat on board. Pube head you let us down, you are the weakest link good bye.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #9: Apr 13, 2008 01:14:19 am
      If this gets overly messy in the summer, I honestly believe Rafa will walk - believe me he will, because he has done it before on a club.

Why don't you just put that in your sig.  Save yourself having to repeat yourself.

I think we're all acutely aware that this would not be a good situation for Benitez to be in.  It wouldn't be good for any manager to have a bunch of clowns above them.  The management at the place I work are all completely F***ing useless and that's why I'm looking for another job.  Don't insult our intelligence by constantly reminding us that Benitez could be considering his future.

Getting back on topic, and I really wonder about the PR advice that Hicks is getting.  Does he seriously think that we now believe he is Rafa's best mate, and only doing this because Rafa got a bit pissed off?

What a F***ing idiot.

He's panicking, that's what.

He's got 6 weeks and then Gillett can stick his money wherever.  Parry, despite being a complete F***ing tool, has got to see the next six weeks out.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #10: Apr 13, 2008 01:16:01 am
      This man is under a lot of power, and us fans moaning or sending threats to him probably won't even last 2 minutes on his mind. He doesn't care how much we dislike his guts, he'll do what he wants, not what the fans want.

Seeing as a) he doesn't have the power to sack the Chief Executive, and b) he appears to have a majority of the board against him I would doubt very much that Hicks will 'do what he wants'. 

IMO, he's a sitting duck.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Apr 13, 2008 07:52:12 am
      He's a c**t. All im saying because he doesnt deserve my time.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #12: Apr 13, 2008 09:08:40 am
      Don't insult our intelligence by constantly reminding us that Benitez could be considering his future.

Thanks for that... maybe you can point me to the multiple posts on here, any thread will do, of people saying that Rafa is considering his future then... if you are that intelligent I'm sure you will find some...off you go then... happy hunting.

I.R.W.T.

lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #13: Apr 13, 2008 10:15:05 am
      Why are so many fans so convinced people want out of this club so quickly due to this current situation, yet at the same time they expect us to sign big players regardless of it. Doesnt make sense atall.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #14: Apr 13, 2008 10:21:45 am

Getting back on topic, and I really wonder about the PR advice that Hicks is getting.  Does he seriously think that we now believe he is Rafa's best mate, and only doing this because Rafa got a bit pissed off?

What a F***ing idiot.

He's panicking, that's what.

He's got 6 weeks and then Gillett can stick his money wherever.  Parry, despite being a complete F***ing tool, has got to see the next six weeks out.
      Is there an aggreement that 6 weeks from now  Gillett  (or hicks)  won't need  each other's approval to sell  their 50% to whom they want

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #15: Apr 13, 2008 10:24:45 am
      Is there an aggreement that 6 weeks from now  Gillett  (or hicks)  won't need  each other's approval to sell  their 50% to whom they want

Precisely.
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #16: Apr 13, 2008 10:40:53 am
      just out of interest, and to make sure im understanding there are 6 members on the board right?

hicks
      hicks jnr
      gillet
      gillet jnr
      moores
      parry

if hicks wants parry out he has to get a majority vote. so he has got hicks and hicks jnr - 2 votes.
      parry is clearly not going to vote himself out.
      gillet has come out backing parry, therefore gillet jnr will also join that camp
      moore has come out saying pretty much that this is an embarassment, so im guessing he will vote for parry to stay.

You have a 4-2 vote in favour of Parry staying. What does Hicks actually think he is playing at?? It just wont work, he is clearly doing this as a way of getting the fans on his side....what a complete and total tool, he has no chance.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #17: Apr 13, 2008 11:00:09 am
      he is clearly doing this as a way of getting the fans on his side....what a complete and total tool, he has no chance.

Precisely again.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #18: Apr 13, 2008 11:08:18 am
      Why are so many fans so convinced people want out of this club so quickly due to this current situation, yet at the same time they expect us to sign big players regardless of it. Doesnt make sense atall.

Which fans? Not me...

I've said continued instability next season and lack of funds for first option signings... will make Rafa think.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #19: Apr 13, 2008 11:14:44 am
      Which fans? Not me...

I've said continued instability next season and lack of funds for first option signings... will make Rafa think.

Im not talking about you. And anyway i see you thinking but thats think not actually do. Rafa has reiterated countless times his love for the club so i cant see him leaving just because of these idiots, he isnt the type to be forced out of the club.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #20: Apr 13, 2008 11:29:33 am
      Im not talking about you. And anyway I see you thinking but thats think not actually do. Rafa has reiterated countless times his love for the club so I cant see him leaving just because of these idiots, he isnt the type to be forced out of the club.

Valencia. All ill tell you on that.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #21: Apr 13, 2008 12:02:19 pm
      I think that Hicks will clear off once we win the CL, taking all the money for himself. The man doesn't care about "soccer" he doesn't care about the fans, he is all about the $$$$, so i think we only need to put up with him untill the end of the season, then DIC should be able to make a bid for the club and this whole saga will be over.... i hope :S
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #22: Apr 13, 2008 12:10:44 pm
      Im off to Tesco to buy some Daz because all this washing of dirty linen in public must stop, and the only way to do it is buy the soap people believe in, and that soap aint Hicks. We shall see what happens in the very near future and I hope that future does not involve those bloody yanks. If Rafa walks then everyone can blame those F***ing american tw*ts for ruining the best chance we have had in 20 years to win the league title. Im just not going to wasted any more time on this bollox Im off to watch the match and hope we can kick Blackburns arse.

Quick Reply