Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Luka Modric [Gone to Spurs]

Read 7085 times
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Luka Modric [Gone to Spurs]
      Apr 11, 2008 10:21:44 am
      Was a little suprised to see us linked to him but I suppose we have been linked to diego not too long ago so....

Modric happy with Reds talk
      Liverpool and not Spurs head hunt for Croat

Modric: In-demand

Luka Modric admits he is flattered at claims that Liverpool have made a move to sign him.

It was reported in England that Tottenham had made moves to try and land the highly-rated midfielder - who has also attracted attention from Chelsea, Arsenal and Barcelona in recent months.

But the Croat media, says it is not Tottenham, but Liverpool who have made a firm offer for the 22-year-old.
      Modric will almost certainly depart Dinamo Zagreb in the summer and the battle to sign him is firmly on, with Liverpool reported to be heading the queue.
      Dinamo want around £18million for their prized asset, who is rated as one of the most impressive young midfielders in world football.
      At just 22 - Modric is already a lynch-pin of the Croatian national side who comfortably dispatched of England in qualifying for Euro 2008.

Flattered
      Modric has now admitted that he is delighted that Liverpool could be interested in signing him.
      "I don't wish to discuss possible transfers, but if Liverpool really want me, then this is fantastic and I am truly honoured," he told Vecernji list.
      "I watched the Champions League quarter-finals and the way they crushed Arsenal. Only the greatest and the best can play such a match against strong Arsenal

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Fantastic player for his age and I would be delighted to see us sign him. Maybe this is a sign Xabi really could go, Only way I could see us going for Modric is if we sold Xabi and used that money to fund a deal for Modric then Lucas stayed in a more Defensive role until Plessis was promoted to the first team more permanently. Very inetersting this, Love the way he says we crushed arsenal too, seems to have a high opinion of us and he is clearly one of the best youngsters in the world right now.
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2008 03:22:43 pm by JD »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Re: Luka Modric
      Reply #1: Apr 11, 2008 10:24:28 am
      We be a good buy, especially if we are looking to sell the 26 year old Xabi Alonso who is currently under performing. I think if there is any time to sell Alonso for a good price, then this is the season to!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #2: Apr 11, 2008 10:25:56 am
      We be a good buy, especially if we are looking to sell the 26 year old Xabi Alonso who is currently under performing. I think if there is any time to sell Alonso for a good price, then this is the season to!

Seems like he really could go doesnt it Ra Ra.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Re: Luca Modric
      Reply #3: Apr 11, 2008 10:26:08 am
      "I watched the Champions League quarter-finals and the way they crushed Arsenal. Only the greatest and the best can play such a match against strong Arsenal"

I love it....... ;D
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #4: Apr 11, 2008 10:29:57 am

Haha me too, that will have got him into the good books of alot of our fans and rafa too. I really do hope we get him would be great although it would most likely result in xabis departure which i would truly hate to see. Modric is a good player who can hold a midfield together well and helps a midfield to dominate a game which would only benefit us.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #5: Apr 11, 2008 10:35:36 am
      Seems like he really could go doesnt it Ra Ra.

I don't think it does seem to much like he 'really' could go, but seems to me if he is going to go then it's this season. Apparently his girlfriend does't want to stay here, and he'll do best for his family.

I think if we were to sell Alonso, this has to be the season as one more bad season would see his value drop and maybe by then Madrid or Barca wouldn't be interested. I'm not a big fan of selling our good players but I do think Alonso will leave in the near future so now while his value is up the club just have to do the clever option.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Apr 11, 2008 10:40:25 am
      Waiting another season to sell Xabi wont help anyone. He needs to move on and regain his form and selling now would ensure a great return for him. We signed him for 10 million and could see him depart for close to 20, great stuff.

As for Modric,i wouldnt be sad at all. The way he talks of the CL Q/F shows how much we are respected and the word 'crushed' is a slight overstatement but to come from a player like Modric is amazing. Great talent.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #7: Apr 11, 2008 10:48:40 am
      Have we ever signed a player that we were linked with in April time? We were only linked with Torres in June/July, same goes for Babel and Benayoun...

This may be a bit too early to say we'll secure him, as Rafa hasn't signed any players that have been linked with us with a lot of the season to still play for...
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #8: Apr 11, 2008 11:01:14 am
      Have we ever signed a player that we were linked with in April time? We were only linked with Torres in June/July, same goes for Babel and Benayoun...

This may be a bit too early to say we'll secure him, as Rafa hasn't signed any players that have been linked with us with a lot of the season to still play for...

True Ra Ra. But Rafa has said in an interview fairly recently that transfers in the summer are already being discussed with the fat yank. Maybe Modric is high on the list. Qualty player btw.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #9: Apr 11, 2008 11:01:45 am
      Its just rumoured interest and I think rafa is moving for players due to 1.) fending of other teams interest in players and 2.) due to the whole transfer fiasco where hicks and gillette made us miss out on khaladze and the others we were going for.

Plus dont forget rafa has already said he has tied up a few deals so I wouldnt be suprised to see him sorting out a few deals now and trying to get us locked in talks to tie up a few deals.
      « Last Edit: Apr 11, 2008 11:10:11 am by lil cisse »
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #10: Apr 11, 2008 11:08:23 am
      An excellent player.
      But it doesnt necessarily spell the end of Alonso.
      He is mostly a player across the 3, but he'd be able to fill in as one of the two defensive midfielders as well...
      He'd be better than say...Diego or Van der Vaart etc.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #11: Apr 11, 2008 11:11:50 am
      An excellent player.
      But it doesnt necessarily spell the end of Alonso.
      He is mostly a player across the 3, but he'd be able to fill in as one of the two defensive midfielders as well...
      He'd be better than say...Diego or Van der Vaart etc.

Gerrard
      Alonso
      Mascherano
      Lucas
      Modric

looks unlikely atleast one would go imo.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #12: Apr 11, 2008 12:29:35 pm
      The one to go, making most sense, would be Xabi.

Make your mind up:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cWe98NJ2rCY&feature=related

Not a great vid though.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #13: Apr 11, 2008 12:52:39 pm
      Theres some very neat passes in that vid. I know I'm only basing this on a youtube video but I think he'd really suit playing just behind Torres. Using his neat through balls to play El Nino in.

Any who has seen more of him than I have, could you tell me if this is a step forward from Xabi?

I think the question thats on everybodies lips is... how good is he on Football Manager?
      « Last Edit: Apr 11, 2008 09:02:18 pm by paulrobbo »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #14: Apr 12, 2008 12:37:17 am
      He is a snappy little player. Only 22 or something? Of course he'll be expensive but like our two most expensive buys have proved, you pay what you get for...
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #15: Apr 12, 2008 01:04:36 am
      Gerrard
      Alonso
      Mascherano
      Lucas
      Modric

looks unlikely atleast one would go imo.

You're making zero sense.
      Lucas, Mascherano, Alonso (and Plessis) play as the two defensive midfielders...
      WHAT I SAID WAS MODRIC CAN i repeat CAN PLAY AS A DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER IF NEEDED.

Him and Gerrard are more ideally suited to the '3'...
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #16: Apr 12, 2008 01:12:06 am
      Some of you people crack me up.  Seen this in the free Metro newspaper and thought 'Who the F**k is this?'.

I come on here and I read ' Will be a good buy? ' and 'Let's sell Alonso and get some good money for him'.

F***ing crackers the lot of you.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #17: Apr 12, 2008 01:45:29 am
      Some of you people crack me up.  Seen this in the free Metro newspaper and thought 'Who the F**k is this?'.

I come on here and I read ' Will be a good buy? ' and 'Let's sell Alonso and get some good money for him'.

Maybe because we have more of a chance winning something with Luka Modric in our team than having Xabi Alonso in our team. If you never heard of Luka Modric, then wait till Euro 2008 and you'll see him shine!
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #18: Apr 12, 2008 01:58:35 am
      And as a Liverpool fan you should know all about completely disregarding performances in major tournaments.

El Hadji Diouf anyone?  F**k it - let's go out and buy Roger Milla.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #19: Apr 12, 2008 04:01:09 am
      You're making zero sense.
      Lucas, Mascherano, Alonso (and Plessis) play as the two defensive midfielders...
      WHAT I SAID WAS MODRIC CAN I repeat CAN PLAY AS A DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER IF NEEDED.

Him and Gerrard are more ideally suited to the '3'...

What are you putting capitals for because i dont agree with you on something.

and i said its unlinkely we will keep that many centre mids... I do not care if its attcking mid or defensive they are all stil centre mids and even if he can i dont care im tired of thinking oh he CAN play out of position i dont want him to ever unless every other DM at the club who is good enough to play there is injured. Just because he CAN play there doesnt mean it doesnt necessarily spell the end for alonso as if we bought modric it more likely than not would spell the end of his anfield career due to the amount of CM's.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #20: Apr 12, 2008 04:02:49 am
      And as a Liverpool fan you should know all about completely disregarding performances in major tournaments.

El Hadji Diouf anyone?  F**k it - let's go out and buy Roger Milla.

And how do you know we saw him playing in an international tournament. He's a great and well known player. Just because some of us think we should buy him to bolster the attack and interest in him suggests alonso may leave doesnt mean any of us are 'crackers' as you say.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #21: Apr 12, 2008 04:06:42 am

I see where your coming from but Modric is tipped to be the next big thing. Future Wolrd Player of the Year is being put on his shoulders. Saw him play for Croatia against Italy and England and i was impressed. Short vid there vs Basel shows his ability too.
      JonBassett
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts | -4 
      Reply #22: Apr 12, 2008 07:35:14 pm
      He gets fouled an awful lot in that video, we should sign the cardiff city youngster Aaron Ramsey he's quality :D

Quick Reply