Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Why are Chavski allowed to rest so much time?

Read 2543 times
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Why are Chavski allowed to rest so much time?
      Apr 10, 2008 12:09:55 pm
      Looks like Chavski's last game before the first semi against us at Anfield on Tues 22nd, will be against Everton (away) on the previous THURSDAY... not playing at the weekend like the rest of the Premier League (us away to Fulham on the Saturday).

http://www.premierleague.com/page/FixturesResults

Does anybody know why they are being allowed this critical advantage? I.e. 5 days rest!!

Looks well dodgy to me, particularly when you consider Chavski play Wigan (at home) on the Monday of that same week.

Any ideas peeps?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Re: Why are Chavski allowed to rest so much time?
      Reply #1: Apr 10, 2008 12:14:18 pm
      First heard about this a couple of weeks back Don. It's purely down to Sky wanting to show the game on the Thursday as far as I know. They must have games scheduled at the weekend and want to show it as an extra.

It may still be more of a benefit ot us as if they win then we may be able to rest some of our big players before the game the following Tuesday.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #2: Apr 10, 2008 12:41:09 pm
      We have proved against Arsenal over the last week that we can handle the pressure of having to rotate players and still field a decent side that can keep a team as experienced and quick as Arsenal at bay.  I would like to see us revert back to a 4-4-2 formation against Fulham with Finnan, Arbeloa, Carra and Skrtel @ back then Riise, Yossi, Lucas and Plessis in midfield with Kuyt and Crouch up front.  This will enable us to keep some fresh legs for Chelsea at Anfield where we have to steal the show. 
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3: Apr 10, 2008 12:58:52 pm
      Thursday seems a bit unusual day for Sky to broadcast a game why can't they just play a noon kick off?

Does seem a bit unfair but hey we are Liverpool FC, Could actually turn out like the last time we played Fulham a think, Rafa puts out a week side and Fulham get a positive win so they can stay up?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #4: Apr 10, 2008 01:33:26 pm
      Thursday seems a bit unusual day for Sky to broadcast a game why can't they just play a noon kick off?

Does seem a bit unfair but hey we are Liverpool FC, Could actually turn out like the last time we played Fulham a think, Rafa puts out a week side and Fulham get a positive win so they can stay up?

I remember them doing this before in the run-in and can only think it's because they already have matches scheduled for the Sat/Sun.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #5: Apr 10, 2008 01:53:03 pm
      I remember them doing this before in the run-in and can only think it's because they already have matches scheduled for the Sat/Sun.

It's a daft trick from Sky but as mentioned earlier, if Chelsea win then we don't have to see our match against Fulham as much of a priority! ;)

Shades of last season anyone, when Fulham beat our weakened side and Warnock had a cob on? Wonder whether any managers will be complaining again at the end of this season? ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #6: Apr 10, 2008 02:14:19 pm
      Rafa should play our entire reserve team against Foolham - as a reward for their excellent season.

I would place a considerable bet that they could beat Foolham too...
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #7: Apr 10, 2008 02:20:39 pm
      Rafa should play our entire reserve team against Foolham - as a reward for their excellent season.

I would place a considerable bet that they could beat Foolham too...

Hmm, wouldn't go that far but they'd certainly give them a good go ! Maybe it might save Fulhams season and then the relegated manager will be fuming at Rafa once again :D
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #8: Apr 10, 2008 03:27:02 pm
      Still, they have the Mancs in between the two legs - they won't get much rest then, or against us!
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #9: Apr 10, 2008 03:38:46 pm
      Against Fulham, We should field the side that playyed against Arsenal in the last league game. The same formation too.
      « Last Edit: Apr 10, 2008 03:42:01 pm by solodee »
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #10: Apr 11, 2008 12:16:00 am
      The only time we've had football played on a Thursday was in the old first div to clear up a back log at the end of a season never heard of anything happening like this before while the season is still in the balance. The FA have once again shown their lack of understanding, fairness to all clubs should be the rule and not just those with the most money because from where I'm standing that's how it looks....
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Apr 11, 2008 04:21:44 am
      Money is everything.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #12: Apr 11, 2008 09:57:47 am
      No its just Frank Lampard has a pie eating competition on the Saturday so he cant play ! ;D ;D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #13: Apr 11, 2008 11:03:04 am
      No its just Frank Lampard has a pie eating competition on the Saturday so he cant play ! ;D ;D

Nice!  :lmao:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Apr 11, 2008 12:43:01 pm
      Give the lad a break....
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #15: Apr 11, 2008 01:27:08 pm
      I was talking to me boss yesterday regarding Chavski's goalie crisis, and he says they could put Terry in against us to which I replied Lampard would be more appropriate as he will fill the goal  :lmao:
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #16: Apr 13, 2008 09:17:36 pm
      I was talking to me boss yesterday regarding Chavski's goalie crisis, and he says they could put Terry in against us to which I replied Lampard would be more appropriate as he will fill the goal  :lmao:

Yeah but then he'd have to walk onto the pitch and all the way to the goal........he'd be out for the rest of the season with fatigue ! ;D
      sjkreds
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 142 posts |
      • Reincarnation anyone?
      Reply #17: Apr 16, 2008 12:56:09 pm
      Chelsea will have the weekend break, but they have to play the two crucial league games with only two days in between, so im not sure how much of an advantage it is
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #18: Apr 18, 2008 07:16:41 am
      Chelsea will have the weekend break, but they have to play the two crucial league games with only two days in between, so im not sure how much of an advantage it is

It's really dodgy this isn't it? They get a couple more days rest than us leading up to a CL semi final, for no decent reason I have yet to hear. If Sky wanted to make more money off this one they only have to play it at a different time of day to the other matches, not on a Thursday FFS.

I could have had a good rant about this one but I'm not going to, thanks to CHelsea themselves!  ;D Anyone else have the feeling that in beating Everton yesterday they have shot themselves in the foot? Yes, they want to keep their title hopes alive so they had no choice, but this works in our favour! If we win against Fulham we can all but forget about the EPL as fourth spot will be all but ours, so IMO our boys aren't going to be suffering from fatigue!

They'll be able to run themselves into the ground in both CL matches now, knowing they won't have to save any energy for the weekend match! And Rafa won't have to worry about tinkering with the team either, it'll be our best XI going for it 100%! And we know all this in advance thanks to Chelsea themselves!  :D
      SPARKYMARKY
      • Forum David Johnson

• 214 posts |
      • ian rush sent kendall to the bottle
      Reply #19: Apr 18, 2008 11:59:03 am
      Just seen on sky sports that they are carrying some injuries , essien had to be treated , he just fell to the ground off the ball , he came round with the use of smelling salts and carried on , at full time john terry limping and holding his foot <right >, no fat lampard or drogba either last night .

Quick Reply