Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Luka Modric [Gone to Spurs]

Read 7069 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Luka Modric
      Reply #46: Apr 24, 2008 01:32:27 pm
      All reports saying its nearly done and dusted. Ah well, Villa might be better anyway..... ;)
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #47: Apr 24, 2008 01:40:02 pm
      They'll be after David Villa next.

They're like Man City.  Slimeballs that check everyone elses targets.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #48: Apr 24, 2008 01:49:27 pm
      Funny thing is, they thing big money will tempt them. What will Luka Modric achieve at Newcastle?!?! If Luka goes there then he is an idiot too.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #49: Apr 24, 2008 01:57:17 pm
      Funny thing is, they thing big money will tempt them. What will Luka Modric achieve at Newcastle?!?! If Luka goes there then he is an idiot too.

Newcastle have a lot of money because of their owner and their big fan base. However they'll never achive what they want to achive. Maybe it's a wee bit cold all the way up Newcastle...
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #50: Apr 24, 2008 01:59:22 pm
      Reason it seems he's headed there is because no-one else can be arsed to make some progress in a deal for him GRRR. Hate seeing good players going to newcastle what will it do for his career.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #51: Apr 24, 2008 05:17:46 pm
      I haven't seen the guy play, but I've been reading back through everyone's posts and he sounds like an excellent prospect, a good addition to the team. My only problem is that from what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) he is a central midfielder who can play either an attacking or holding role if needs be.

If we had money to fling around I'd want to snap him up straight away, but as that isn't necessarily going to be the case this summer then IMO we'd be better off filling the positions where we have more immediate need of talent: LB, RB and wingers, than the centre of midfield where we already have a good mix of experience and youthful prospect.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #52: Apr 25, 2008 10:56:28 am
      The reason he is going up there is becasue he is sick of where he is now and is tired of being jerked around by his managers.

Ayrton you also make a good point.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #53: Apr 25, 2008 12:32:13 pm
      Don't mind.

If he signs for Newcastle, isn't a player we should be after anyway, such limited vision.

I highly doubt he would though...most likely this is a move by his managers/Dinamo to incite more bids for Modric.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #54: Apr 26, 2008 02:25:08 am
      Gutted, and I'm proven wrong.

Modric's signed on with the Spurs, somewhere in the vicinity of 18-20 million pound transfer fee.

Looks like we were simply outpriced.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #55: Apr 26, 2008 08:55:28 am
      15.8 million pounds (20 million Euro's)

Lets see how he goes, honestly i dont see the point of signing him anyway. Will he oust Gerrard, Masch and Xabi? Dont think so. If he is sh*t hot then we can complain but i honestly dont think that will happen.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #56: Apr 26, 2008 09:26:55 am
      F***ing gutted!

I think he will be in the top 10 midfielders next season.

We should close this thread now.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #57: Apr 26, 2008 10:53:15 am
      15.8 million pounds (20 million Euro's)

Lets see how he goes, honestly I dont see the point of signing him anyway. Will he oust Gerrard, Masch and Xabi? Dont think so. If he is sh*t hot then we can complain but I honestly dont think that will happen.

He was never slated to play as a central midfielder...Dinamo play a 4-2-3-1 and he plays where Babel does for us...but has the ability to play where Kuyt does for us..which is whom I'd have assumed he would have replaced.

Any chance of pulling a Sissoko?
      PLEASE!!!!!!!!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #58: Apr 26, 2008 11:31:55 am
      Damn spurs. Oh well we better get someone better than him to make up for it.
      sandsy85
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #59: Apr 26, 2008 12:57:40 pm
      looks like rafa is doing his homework and looking to bring in great players hopefully he lands us luka and we can challenge 4 premier league next season COME ON YOU REDS
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #60: Apr 26, 2008 01:11:44 pm
      sandsy, if you shift your attention upwards then you'll see Luka signed for Tottenham. 15.8 million pounds or 20 million euro's, take your pick.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #61: Apr 26, 2008 03:22:17 pm
      And...

Spurs sign Croatian star Modric

Tottenham have won the race to sign Croatia midfielder Luka Modric for a fee believed to be £15.8m.

The Carling Cup winners have agreed terms with the in-demand 22-year-old, fending off interest from Premier League rivals Newcastle.

The playmaker will leave Dinamo Zagreb this summer subject to passing a medical and obtaining a work permit.

"I'm happy to be joining such a big club. It will be a real pleasure to play in the English league," he said.

"It is the best in Europe, with three English clubs in the semi-finals of the Champions League."

Dinamo Zagreb sporting director Zoran Mamic added: "We're very happy. Luka is leaving for an environment where he's going to progress, while Dinamo showed that we know how to do good deals."

On Tuesday, Modric was reported to have been on Tyneside to discuss a move to Kevin Keegan's Newcastle and visit the club's training ground.

Recent reports had also linked him with Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal.

The signing of Modric is a major coup for Spurs manager Juande Ramos and the Tottenham hierarchy, who needed to make a statement of intent with the team falling away badly after their Wembley triumph against Chelsea in February.

Spurs' season has fizzled out disappointingly with just a single win in their last seven league games, and a swingeing overhaul of the squad was predicted for this summer, but the signing of Modric has comes as a major surprise.

After making his name in the Bosnian league as a teenager, Modric moved to Croatian club Inter Zapresic before joining Dinamo in 2005.

He made his debut for Croatia a year later and has gone on to win more than 20 caps for Slaven Bilic's side - including the home and away victories over England that cost them their place at Euro 2008.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7368463.stm

Topic locked.

Quick Reply