Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Liverpool v Chelsea CL lst leg - Match Thread and Team News

Read 12882 times
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Liverpool v Chelsea CL lst leg - Match Thread and Team News
      Reply #184: Apr 23, 2008 09:43:20 am
      Hmmm....Chelsea getting what they dont deserve again. Its turning into a habit now....

I think Drogba missed the class in school where they teach him that hurt people dont roll around on the floor. I want action taken because this is getting disgusting now.....

As for our players..

My MOTM goes to Skrtel. He was put up against Drogba and he won.....EVERYTIME....sim ple as that. He was where he needed to be at the right time, at all times.

Special mention to Dirk Kuyt who I thought played his best game of this season. The one he missed was a really hard one to do because even Ronaldinho or Kaka will have a tough time controlling a ball coming over his shoulder. Other than that he put in his usual share of hard work but for some reason his touch was amazing last night, He collected balls that he usually messes up.

I feel for Riise as his mind was set on heading the ball before it dipped and bounced awkwardly for him. I think that he did really well when he came on and its unfair to dwell on the OG as I think half of the blame should go to Arbeloa and Masch because that cross should never had been let in.

I do not want to be Cech at Stamforde bridge next week. We are more than capable of scoring 2 or 3 goals there.

Kuyt did have a good game last night, I must have taken my eyes off the screen for like a second and he was at the other end of the pitch!  Skrtel and Masch put on a good show too taking down every dangerous ball that Carra didn't.  I think we could of had at least 3 with Torres free run and Gerrard's volley, ah well more opportunities next week for them.

I voted for Skrtel as my MOTM and on the official site it stands as follows:

Kuyt  1038
      Skrtel  581
      Alonso  527
      Carragher  144
      Riise  136
      Mascherano  117
      Gerrard  44
      Babel  27
      Torres  16
      Aurelio  9
      Reina  5
      Crouch  4
      Lucas  3
      Itandje   2
      Benayoun   1
      Hyypia   1
      Arbeloa   0
      Pennant   0

Seriously some people are idiots, how can you vote on the players that didn't start/come on ??? did they warm up well or something?

Why wont Terry be playing?
      He's not suspended.

I thought he was now after another yellow, where can I find out ?

St Red
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts | -1 
      Reply #185: Apr 23, 2008 09:48:34 am
      Kuyt did have a good game last night, I must have taken my eyes off the screen for like a second and he was at the other end of the pitch!  Skrtel and Masch put on a good show too taking down every dangerous ball that Carra didn't.  I think we could of had at least 3 with Torres free run and Gerrard's volley, ah well more opportunities next week for them.

I voted for Skrtel as my MOTM and on the official site it stands as follows:

Kuyt  1038
      Skrtel  581
      Alonso  527
      Carragher  144
      Riise  136
      Mascherano  117
      Gerrard  44
      Babel  27
      Torres  16
      Aurelio  9
      Reina  5
      Crouch  4
      Lucas  3
      Itandje   2
      Benayoun   1
      Hyypia   1
      Arbeloa   0
      Pennant   0

Seriously some people are idiots, how can you vote on the players that didn't start/come on ??? did they warm up well or something?

I thought he was now after another yellow, where can I find out ?

You dont need to, I've just told you
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #186: Apr 23, 2008 09:56:29 am
      Anyone notice how stoppage time was 1 minute in the first half, then 4 in the second?

Think it would have been down to Auriello's injury and Drogba rolling about mate
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #187: Apr 23, 2008 10:02:45 am
      You dont need to, I've just told you

Hairy muff.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,257 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #188: Apr 23, 2008 10:12:53 am
      Well its 12 hrs since the end of the game and I still feel a little low.
      We should have scored more and I felt Torres was a little off form but he was getting little protection from the ref unlike Drogba, who has found his diving skills again, (Shame). Cech kept them in the game and although they seemed to have some good possession and attacks Pepe did not have a great deal to do.
      Riise's goal at first I felt WTF but was he in between a rock and a hard place?, as Anelka was right behind him and if he had left it, it surly would have been a goal, may be he should have hoofed it but that would have been with his right boot, not his best.
      I'm not too sure about taking the big strong quick Babel off for the opposite, nothing against Benayoun, but not a good replacement in my opinion in these circumstances. 4 mins injury time, well little to complain about to be honest we did have a couple of injuries in the second half and the usual 30 sec substitution crap. And we should have never allowed the cross to be delivered.
      So 1-1, good or bad. I know we have to go and score at a place Rafa's team has not scored before, but it may change the dynamics, Chelsea don't have to score to go through so hopefully they won't have the urgency that we will have, remember the 2nd leg against arsenal, well its just the same except er are arsenal and we have a damn site more reserve than they do.
      If we had won 1-0 I think we would have just sat back and it would have been a night of nerves, at least we know what we have to do and that is simple score, Torres knows what he is up against and hopefully he will get a little more protection next week.
      On a selfish note at least I got a point in the Prediction league  :f_steam:
      bob_blah
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 46 posts |
      Reply #189: Apr 23, 2008 10:17:04 am
      gutted. The only thing worse than seeing that balll go into the net was lamplard saying they deserved the draw. i think i need to go and visit frank in whatever dreamland he's living in for a little respite of self-delusion.

to be fair though, the chelsea back 9 did a good job of protecting their 1-0 defecit for most of the second half. I'll be interested to see if Grant even bothers to pick a striker for the second leg.
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      Reply #190: Apr 23, 2008 10:18:22 am
      Just read an article on the BBC and it got me in a better mood, some great words for our skipper:

He said: "These ties are settled by small details and unfortunately that bit of luck has gone against us. Maybe we'll get some luck at Stamford Bridge.

"There are no fingers being pointed at John Arne."

Gerrard brushed aside any talk of them struggling in the second leg at Stamford Bridge, where they have yet to score a goal under Benitez.

He added: "We haven't played there with Fernando Torres."

AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #191: Apr 23, 2008 10:34:33 am
      The only thing worse than seeing that balll go into the net was lamplard saying they deserved the draw. I think I need to go and visit frank in whatever dreamland he's living in for a little respite of self-delusion.

That made my blood boil too after the way Drogba turned on the diving antics and Terry kicked Torres in the stomach when he was down, that’s not good sportsmanship even if you are rivals I doubt even a United player would stoop that low!

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #192: Apr 23, 2008 10:35:39 am
      Just read an article on the BBC and it got me in a better mood, some great words for our skipper:

He said: "These ties are settled by small details and unfortunately that bit of luck has gone against us. Maybe we'll get some luck at Stamford Bridge.

"There are no fingers being pointed at John Arne."

Gerrard brushed aside any talk of them struggling in the second leg at Stamford Bridge, where they have yet to score a goal under Benitez.

He added: "We haven't played there with Fernando Torres."

If we go into the 2ndleg with Stevies attitude we will kill them,especially if we get a decent Ref.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #193: Apr 23, 2008 10:37:58 am
      John Terry is lucky the ref didn't see some of the stuff the guy got up to , his feet when walking somehow scraped Torres side (that's how it looked in slow motion) while Torres was on the ground after a tussle with Terry , Terry got away with blue murder on the pitch and the guy really needs a sit down with a psychiatrist as there's something missing in between his ears. After last night's performance how can Terry be given the England captaincy.

The match between two really good teams was really good it had it all and at the end I could have cried because we should in reality been out of sight by at least 3 goals. Chelsea know they got away with robbery and now they believe the hard part has been done but it's their overconfidence that will be their undoing , we shall get a result at their place of that I am really confident.

Emileano Insua is playing really good for the reserves and I hope Raffa will start to give some of the 18/19 year olds a run out because we could have done with Insua last night he's that good but I suppose with hindsight it's easy to say....

Why didn't you head it back the way it came it was taking an awful risk to try to put it over the bar..Decisions..Decision s :'( :'( :'(
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,678 posts | 6975 
      Reply #194: Apr 23, 2008 10:40:09 am
      It's a new day, and I still feel pretty gutted about it all.  Such a shocker.

Anyway, was impressed with Babel - Chelsea look sh*t scared of him.  Torres hasn't scored yet. 

A lot of people slating the ref.  He wasn't great but maybe I wasn't paying too much attention to him but I don't think he is the worst ref we have had at Anfield.

Back to Riise - second oggy of the season.  Let's hope history repeats himself and we go on to win the next game.

Massive game next Wednesday. I'm gutted I won't be at Stamford Bridge.  I really hope our 12th man give it the all down there and make sure we fight.

There is absolutely no doubt that we can win this. 
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      Reply #195: Apr 23, 2008 10:48:20 am
      It's a new day, and I still feel pretty gutted about it all.  Such a shocker.

Anyway, was impressed with Babel - Chelsea look sh*t scared of him.  Torres hasn't scored yet. 

A lot of people slating the ref.  He wasn't great but maybe I wasn't paying too much attention to him but I don't think he is the worst ref we have had at Anfield.

Back to Riise - second oggy of the season.  Let's hope history repeats himself and we go on to win the next game.

Massive game next Wednesday. I'm gutted I won't be at Stamford Bridge.  I really hope our 12th man give it the all down there and make sure we fight.

There is absolutely no doubt that we can win this. 

Key phrase in your post mate: Torres hasn't scored yet
      LIVERPOOL ROCK BIRDS
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #196: Apr 23, 2008 10:50:20 am
      havent we been here before  AC milan ISTANBUL 3-0 down at half time then Liverpool Let all Hell brake losse and we rocked ac milan now at half time RAFA said we just need to think about geting one JUST ONE goal and that would change the whole game and it did!
      Now theen we have a whole game in which to score one goal not just 45 mins. the press say Chelsea have an advanced so what if they do THIS IS LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB and we never say die. it just half time in this semi final the press say liverpool have not scored since RAFA was in charge but all these things are made to be changed!
      SO  LIVERPOOL TO SCORE AT THE BRIDGE WHY NOT! !!21ST MAY!! WE CAN DO IT
      THIS IS ANFIELD YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE !!!!!!!!!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #197: Apr 23, 2008 10:51:43 am
      John Terry is lucky the ref didn't see some of the stuff the guy got up to , his feet when walking somehow scraped Torres side (that's how it looked in slow motion) while Torres was on the ground after a tussle with Terry , Terry got away with blue murder on the pitch and the guy really needs a sit down with a psychiatrist as there's something missing in between his ears. After last night's performance how can Terry be given the England captaincy.

The match between two really good teams was really good it had it all and at the end I could have cried because we should in reality been out of sight by at least 3 goals. Chelsea know they got away with robbery and now they believe the hard part has been done but it's their overconfidence that will be their undoing , we shall get a result at their place of that I am really confident.

Emileano Insua is playing really good for the reserves and I hope Raffa will start to give some of the 18/19 year olds a run out because we could have done with Insua last night he's that good but I suppose with hindsight it's easy to say....

Why didn't you head it back the way it came it was taking an awful risk to try to put it over the bar..Decisions..Decision s :'( :'( :'(

I shadow your thoughts my fellow red but in regards to Insua getting a start I see no scope for that to occur, maybe if we had kept a clean sheet and scored 2 it it would be more comfortable but we have to be ruthless now and give it our best with the current squad, experienced players who know Chelsea, hungry players that have gotten us this far and will not let us down by allowing the disrespectful players of this game the glory they don't deserve.

We can win at Stamford Bridge (aka city morgue) and will meet United in the final showdown!
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      Reply #198: Apr 23, 2008 10:54:13 am
      Wouldn't it be great if Riise sends us to Moscow next Wednesday, Now that would be a fairytale
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #199: Apr 23, 2008 11:02:48 am
      AJ your right we shall stand or fall together on the pitch and off it , it's a shame really that it had to be someone whose given his all for us in terms of stopping goals and scoring them and these things happen when you have only a fraction of a second to think...
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,870 posts | 6808 
      Reply #200: Apr 23, 2008 11:25:19 am
      As soon as that final whistle went, I wanted to log on and share my absolute guttered feelings with my fellow REDS. I didn't because I thought I might say something very unpleasant about JAR. Now that I've had almost 13 hours to think about it,, WHAT THE F**k WERE YOU THINKING ??? I know he must feel shattered and he must want to dig a massive whole for himself and jump in, but for F**k sake we were 10 seconds away from going to SB with a 1 goal advantage and no away goal.

I know the cross should never have come through and there was F***ing no way 4 mins injury time, but there was and the ball came through. For someone who gets paid, I'd assume a fair amount in wages each week, to have no right foot is just unbelievable. I'm sorry John, thanks for the wonderful goals but it's time to move on. I was gutted when Aurelio went off, and I thought the same as ....I can't remember who posted it earlier, but Sami on to CB with Skrtel, Jamie to RB and switch Arbeloa to LB. Oh well it's done and dusted now...we have to live with it and just get on with the job at the Bridge next week.

I'm not going to mention the Referee because that c**t doesn't deserve any space on here. WHAT A JOKE. DISGUSTING

Drogba the diving big cry baby. DISGUSTING

John Terry the dirty F***ing arsehole. I wanted to rip his neck out when he intentionally kneed Torres whilst he was on the ground.  :f_steam: DISGUSTING. The FA should review that match and ban him for the return leg, dirty pr**k but they won't.

Well, we have now got a massive mountain to climb but if any team is going to do it, it WILL be us.

We are definitely playing better away this season. In the Champions League alone, we've been to:

Toulouse got a 1-0 away win

Porto 1-1 draw

Marseille 4-0 away win

Inter Milan 1-0 away win

and at Arsenal a 1-1 draw.

This should give us a lot of confidence in our away travels. For shits sake, in all of them, bar Arsenal, we played away in a different country and came away with the points in very hostile atmospheres. Chelski is going to be tough, but like Eddie C said their record has to be broken sometime and what better way to shove it up the rest of the worlds arses then to do a number on them, on their own patch. What a marvellous victory that would be and would certainly inject massive confidence in us for when we play Barcelona in the Final. GO YOU F***ing REDS.

P.S To Crouchino, Dadoriuos and fellow Aussies. How biased was Gary Bloom towards Liverpool on SBS's coverage. I don't think he likes Chelsea very much. Best commentary I've heard in ages :) (apart from that last 10 seconds >:( )

barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #201: Apr 23, 2008 11:35:45 am
      Crouch should have been brought on for Babel. In fact Crouch should be starting alongside Kuyt. Risse has no right side skill and should never be playing at this level. This is what caused him to head the ball into his own net, when anyone else would have kicked it away with the right foot.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #202: Apr 23, 2008 11:46:49 am
      Aussiered mate, i agree about Gary Bloom giving us the wraps on our team and crowd but Craig Foster has got to be the biggest pr**k on Earth.

Part 2 of 2 in my rant - topic is CRAIG FOSTER:

I quote, 'Liverpool and Chelsea are taking football backward, i think Arsenal are a better side.' HEY CRAIG, YOU ANALYSED THE GAME WHERE WE WON 4-2 YOU DUMB c**t!

The way he compared the 2 semi finals is appauling, he implyed that Barcelona and Man Utd should be the finalists due to the way they play. He basically said in a 'nicer way' that Liverpool and Chelsea dont deserve to be there. This guy is a c**t of the highest order. I just want to hit him across that ugly mug he calls a head and give him a piece of my mind. Im so infuriated about everything he says! :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam:
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #203: Apr 23, 2008 11:52:06 am
      We all just need to remember, this is technically only half time.

As stevie said in reply to the stats that we havent scored there in a long time 'we havent been there with torres in the side have we'

We can definately do this, i saw some of the best football we have played all season within that match and chelsea were no match for us. We can turn this around we have goals in us and i still cannot believe it was FOUR MINUTES of extra time butttt i must say this season has made me realise more than any other that the refs word is final and you just have to work even harder to put injustices right.

Our players should keep their heads held high they played some amazing stuff last night. Next we must turn our attentions to the premiership game against birmingham who lost their last game 5-1, while chelski play the mancs.
      RedAndWhiteKop
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 65 posts | -2 
      Reply #204: Apr 23, 2008 11:57:06 am
      im not gutted any more, despite being heavily hung over, im actually really exited for next wednesday, stevie g is saying all the right things, and the chelsea rentboys are saying all the wrong things, and probably think this tie is done and dusted hahahaha (evil laugh)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #205: Apr 23, 2008 12:05:16 pm
      Something to our advantage is they play the Mancs who should win over Chelski and we play Birmingham. If Chelsea want the title then they have to play Lampard and Drogba and co. while we can rest. Babel must come on as super sub next week.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,870 posts | 6808 
      Reply #206: Apr 23, 2008 12:06:04 pm
      Aussiered mate, I agree about Gary Bloom giving us the wraps on our team and crowd but Craig Foster has got to be the biggest pr**k on Earth.

Part 2 of 2 in my rant - topic is CRAIG FOSTER:

I quote, 'Liverpool and Chelsea are taking football backward, I think Arsenal are a better side.' HEY CRAIG, YOU ANALYSED THE GAME WHERE WE WON 4-2 YOU DUMB c**t!

The way he compared the 2 semi finals is appauling, he implyed that Barcelona and Man Utd should be the finalists due to the way they play. He basically said in a 'nicer way' that Liverpool and Chelsea dont deserve to be there. This guy is a c**t of the highest order. I just want to hit him across that ugly mug he calls a head and give him a piece of my mind. Im so infuriated about everything he says! :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam:

I didn't listen to the b***ard at the start of the game, went out for a long smoke at half time and at the final whistle turned the bloody telly off straight away. So I didn't hear what that pr**k had to say but thanks for letting me know I didn't miss much.

Quick Reply