Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Parry and Gillett to be called by Government

Read 1930 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Parry and Gillett to be called by Government
      Apr 26, 2008 03:00:08 pm
      http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2008/uk-government-to-look-in-to-liverpool-strife/

An All-Party Parliamentary Football Group made up of members of both the House of Commons and Lords is set to examine the turmoil inside the Anfield boardroom.

It is part of a wide-ranging review of the Premier League’s test that owners of clubs must be a ‘fit and proper person’ for the job.

Alan Keen, the Chairmen of the group said:

“What worries me is people who aren’t interested in football treating football clubs as money-making machines.

“The two Americans (at Liverpool) may appreciate the culture and traditions, and enjoy the enthusiasm of supporters for a time, but it comes back to business - that’s why people own sports teams in the States.

George Gillett is expected to be invited to attend, as is Rick Parry.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Re: Parry and Gillett to be called by Government
      Reply #1: Apr 26, 2008 03:16:12 pm
      Very good news. Shows that the government actually care about the history and tradition of Britains football clubs. Hopefully some sort of system could be implemented in order to stop people who are only interested in making money rather than the welfare of the club take over.
      I cant see it happening as it would be impossible to judge who is right and proper to own a club. We all thought the yanks were our saviour when they took over ..... look at them now.

Still, im happy that people high up are actually taking interest.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #2: Apr 26, 2008 03:17:18 pm
      They will probably stop us being bought by DIC more likely.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Apr 26, 2008 04:05:07 pm
      Seen this on the site just before the game.

They can examine the turmoil all they want but I can't see anything actually being done about it. Probably just an excuse for networking....
      kop1985
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts | -10 
      Reply #4: Apr 26, 2008 05:47:29 pm
      Ye i agree with Redkenny, what can the government actually do?  The can have all the meetings and say all the right things in the press but the have no say or control of what happens @ LFC.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #5: Apr 26, 2008 06:27:14 pm
      They will probably stop us being bought by DIC more likely.

Thats exactly my thought, its not as if they're going to do anything about it.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #6: Apr 26, 2008 06:46:19 pm
      Office of fair trading ? Attaining financial gain under false pretences ? if as Hicks stated in the USA, he will subsidise the hockey club he owns, with profits from L F C, I am sure there are constriaints on moveing monies from one country to another without paying the relevant financial levies and taxes. Charge the b***ard with money laundering.   Could put a limit on his financial movements. Any thing to get the b***ard out !! I'll even ownup to a gay marriage with him so I can freeze his finances until he agrees to a pay off. The club would do nicely thank you george sweetie. Just somebody get the sh*te out.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #7: Apr 26, 2008 10:06:05 pm
      Ye I agree with Redkenny, what can the government actually do?  The can have all the meetings and say all the right things in the press but the have no say or control of what happens @ LFC.

Unless if more ground changes go back to the Government.  They could then, technically, have some say in that.
      musu
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 85 posts | -1 
      Reply #8: Apr 26, 2008 10:34:09 pm
      Alan Keen, the Chairmen of the group said:

“What worries me is people who aren’t interested in football treating football clubs as money-making machines.

“The two Americans (at Liverpool) may appreciate the culture and traditions, and enjoy the enthusiasm of supporters for a time, but it comes back to business - that’s why people own sports teams in the States.

George Gillett is expected to be invited to attend, as is Rick Parry.[/I]
      [/quote]

--this is why most of the americans who do follow european football don't like american sports, no soul, just$$$. Yes Mr Hicks, even us American fans wish you gone ASAP
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #9: Apr 26, 2008 11:31:45 pm
      The Government can only implore the parties to find a solution to the imbroglio. Nothing else can be done.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #10: Apr 26, 2008 11:53:11 pm
      Well I have to say I am surprised about the government sticking in their noses in, wtf do they care? I reckon this is just another government initiative in which they think if they stick their ore in they will make themselves look better.  :f_steam:
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #11: Apr 27, 2008 04:21:33 pm
      It sounds promising.  But why hasn't Hicks been invited??

Tom Hicks should of got the invatation as well as Gillett & Parry.  If they took two seconds to listening to that fat yank I'm sure they will tell him & Gillett to do one.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #12: Apr 27, 2008 10:00:04 pm

--this is why most of the americans who do follow european football don't like american sports, no soul, just$$$.

Bull...Liverpool is a 100% moneymachine too nowadays, don't fool yourself...YOU AND WE may see it otherwise, but the club itself is 100% a company and it is all about money. The difference: In the USA that fact is much more obvious, because the Americans don't care....
      kop1985
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts | -10 
      Reply #13: Apr 27, 2008 10:35:17 pm
      Perhaps the government are owed some taxes or something that would ring a little more true to me...

Quick Reply