Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Birmingham v Liverpool - Match Thread

Read 6704 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6822 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Birmingham v Liverpool - Match Thread
      Reply #92: Apr 27, 2008 12:03:08 am
      I didn't see any of the game last night so thanks for the link to the goals, JD and Remad.

I agree with you AJ...I think Torres should have played against Birmingham. 3 reasons, the first being when he didn't play against Fulham the week before he came up against Chelsea looking a little rusty and just didn't look match sharp to me. I felt if he had played against Fulham than against the Chavs he would have stuck away that chance were he was one on one with Cech at Anfield in front of the KOP.

Secondly, if he played against both Fulham and Birmingham, I'm sure he would have added to his already impressive goal tally and he still would have been in the hunt to beat that tw*t Ronaldo to the Golden Boot.

Finally, he's how old? 22-23...the season finishes in 5 or so weeks and then he's off to play for his country in Euro 2008. Club before country for me any day of the week. He can rest when he's on duty with Spain.

More importantly though, not having him start has stuffed up my Fantasy Premier League points tally 2 weeks in a row now. ;)

Sorry for going off topic so much, but just wanted to vent. Thanks
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #93: Apr 27, 2008 12:11:47 am
      I didn't see any of the game last night so thanks for the link to the goals, JD and Remad.

I agree with you AJ...I think Torres should have played against Birmingham. 3 reasons, the first being when he didn't play against Fulham the week before he came up against Chelsea looking a little rusty and just didn't look match sharp to me. I felt if he had played against Fulham than against the Chavs he would have stuck away that chance were he was one on one with Cech at Anfield in front of the KOP.

Secondly, if he played against both Fulham and Birmingham, I'm sure he would have added to his already impressive goal tally and he still would have been in the hunt to beat that tw*t Ronaldo to the Golden Boot.

Finally, he's how old? 22-23...the season finishes in 5 or so weeks and then he's off to play for his country in Euro 2008. Club before country for me any day of the week. He can rest when he's on duty with Spain.

More importantly though, not having him start has stuffed up my Fantasy Premier League points tally 2 weeks in a row now. ;)

Sorry for going off topic so much, but just wanted to vent. Thanks

;D I know what you mean about the fantasy football mate, I got over 129 points when Torres got that hat-trick against Boro, but this week I had no Carra, Torres lost me clean sheet for Reina and only got a Pennant assist from Liverpool.  I'm banking on a Pederson to score a hat-trick for Blackburn tomorrow though against Portsmouth to recoup with Agbonlehor scoring a couple for Villa against Everton. :D
      « Last Edit: Apr 27, 2008 12:14:12 am by AJ »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #94: Apr 27, 2008 12:15:52 am
      I agree with you AJ...I think Torres should have played against Birmingham. 3 reasons

One reason why I feel he should not have played is INJURY!!

I see where you are coming from lads, but would you really fancy us going into what is now the most important match of the season without our top goalscorer. I couldn't, and this for me cancels out any arguement to why Torres should have started today.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #95: Apr 27, 2008 12:30:46 am

I see where you are coming from lads, but would you really fancy us going into what is now the most important match of the season without our top goalscorer. I couldn't, and this for me cancels out any arguement to why Torres should have started today.

I disagree and could say the same about us playing Reina today what's to say he could not have picked up an injury and be out for Wednesday's game?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #96: Apr 27, 2008 12:35:37 am
      I disagree and could say the same about us playing Reina today what's to say he could not have picked up an injury and be out for Wednesday's game?

Like I said AJ I see where you are coming from but the chances of an outfield player getting injured are much higher than the Goalkeeper and although it would have been good for Fernando getting a run out I feel it is much better to have him fully rested and ready for Chelsea.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #97: Apr 27, 2008 12:43:58 am
      Like I said AJ I see where you are coming from but the chances of an outfield player getting injured are much higher than the Goalkeeper and although it would have been good for Fernando getting a run out I feel it is much better to have him fully rested and ready for Chelsea.

Yea I agree I just hope it will have payed off as I fear someone of his talent needs to be playing regular to keep his fitness levels up and Fulham , Birmingham would have been ideal games for that.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6822 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #98: Apr 27, 2008 01:18:46 am

I can see where you're coming from but against ther likes of Fulham and Birmingham, there defenders would have no chance keeping up with him and he would have kept his hot form going. More likely to be injured playing against those Chav bas**rds especially Terry that dirty rat mug.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #99: Apr 27, 2008 04:33:18 am
      Agree. He should have played. Not only to keep his form but it was the worst half of football you could have imagined. Roll on the Chavs and Moscow here we come!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #100: Apr 27, 2008 04:49:15 am
      Surprised most people are blaming Finnan for the first goal, IMO it was Skrtel's fault, watch it again Finnan already had a man in the box, Skrtel is marking Forssell but he darts around the back and Skrtel left him

Watched it again mate. Even more sure Finnan was absent minded now. Skrtel didn't look like he was marking Forsell at all. Skrtel was where you'd expect a centre back to be and Finnan drifted into the centre without any thought of any other players around him.

And as for anyone wanting Torres to play yesterday? Come on. What would have been the real purpose of that? We've got a squad to use and they should earn their money along with the right to fight for places. They're not going to get much of a look in if Torres is playing all the time are they.
      And I totally agree with srslfc about the risk factor. If Torres was to play in a game, then I'd hope that game would be part of a competition we could still actually win - there's always risk of injury for any player in every game. But you have more options up front in reality, compared to goalkeepers.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #101: Apr 27, 2008 08:57:04 am
      I think 30 minutes is all people were asking for of Torres. He did look rusty mid week and probably because of no match in a few weeks. I think 30 minutes wouldnt have hurt anyone as it wasnt a physical game at all. Hope this is another master stroke by Rafa.

The whole Torres playing and not playing was at the back of my mind though, i just wanted to see Nemeth given a go. Agree redkenny when you say they must earn their way into the side and fight for it, well this kid has done pretty much all he can to get a spot in the side and nothing yet. Hope it changes next game.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #102: Apr 27, 2008 09:31:37 am
      I watched the match and I am convinced if Torres and Gerrard had played for the first half hour we would of been 3 or 4 goals to the good.I was impressed with Insua, his all round skill at defence and in attack makes me think RAFA should throw him in the deep end and play him against Chelsea.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #103: Apr 27, 2008 10:48:55 am
      I watched the match and I am convinced if Torres and Gerrard had played for the first half hour we would of been 3 or 4 goals to the good.I was impressed with Insua, his all round skill at defence and in attack makes me think RAFA should throw him in the deep end and play him against Chelsea.

We'll never know for sure but I see where you're coming from.  It would have helped Torres grab a couple of goals before the Chelsea game.  Hopefully Everton won't get maximum points today and it that 4th really will be done and dusted.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #104: Apr 27, 2008 10:50:26 am
      We'll never know for sure but I see where you're coming from.  It would have helped Torres grab a couple of goals before the Chelsea game. Hopefully Everton won't get maximum points today and it that 4th really will be done and dusted.

Yeah, is anyone else kacking their pants like me that we lose our two last matches and they win all of theirs 5-0?  :D  ;)
      « Last Edit: Apr 27, 2008 10:56:08 am by ayrton77 »
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #105: Apr 27, 2008 06:55:38 pm
      Because I feel Rafa feels quite comfortable about the 4th place position pre this game, I think this match was used by him as make or break for many of the squad in this game!
      Those who didn't step up to the plate, beware because Rafa's "Sword of Damocles" is hanging above your heads... you know who you are!
      The up coming transfer window should prove very interesting as far as sales are concerned?

Quick Reply