Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Ray Kennedy Fund-Raiser

Read 5924 times
      the faith healer
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 91 posts | 16 
      Re: Ray Kennedy Fund-Raiser
      Reply #23: Feb 26, 2008 05:42:18 pm
      RAY KENNEDY NIGHT A HUGE SUCCESS
      The Ray of Hope appeal 26 February 2008

300 passionate Redmen, the European Cup, and a fully stocked bar all under one roof: nights out really don't get much better than this.
      The Ray of Hope Appeal launch night in favour of Ray Kennedy and the Parkinson's Disease Society was held in the Bob Paisley suite on Saturday 23rd February after the Middlesbrough match, and proved to be a huge success.

Reds came from far and wide to attend with all sections of Liverpool's fanbase represented – old school, new school, Scouse, Irish, Scandinavian, young and old – and all there to pledge their support to one of our very finest players.

The appeal started up just under a month ago, and, prior to Saturday evening, had raised in the order of just under £10,000. Saturday night had been some weeks in the planning and was intended to be one of our flagship fundraising events for the appeal.

In all honesty, the trustees of the appeal didn't quite know what to expect when planning the night but we ended literally overwhelmed by the support shown and by people's enduring love and respect for Ray. Then again, with the passion Liverpool fans have for their club, maybe we shouldn't have been surprised.

The day had started a few hours earlier as a bucket collection was organised around the Anfield pubs before the game. This was a great success as it seemed pretty much everyone approached knew about the appeal (and about Ray's situation) and close to £1000 was raised in under an hour prior to kick off. Thanks to everyone who helped out and to the HJC for assisting with the co-ordination and logistics of it all.

The evening itself began as doors opened at 8pm, and people poured in to have their photo taken with the European Cup at a fiver a time. (Tip for anyone who has to listen to a Man U fan going on about them winning their treble in 1999 in future – just show them your photo from the night holding old big ears and remind the trophy they won in 1999 is all ours now). Alan Kennedy had kindly agreed to attend as host and took the mic from 9pm and introduced the running order to the evening.

Alan then spoke very movingly about his memories of playing with Ray and paid tribute to what a key component Ray was in Liverpool's golden era. Alan also told the story of the time he made his Reds debut at Anfield in the 2-1 league victory over QPR. Suffering from debut nerves, it didn't go well. Alan nearly scored an own goal and played very poorly. At half time he walked in to the dressing room, naively looking for some support from Bob Paisley. He didn't get it, as Bob shot him a withering look and murmered darkly that "they shot the wrong bloody Kennedy!!". Our thanks to Alan for attending the evening and giving willingly of his time. He stuck around for a good few hours afterwards and made sure he had a word and a moment for everyone. Top man.

The party then kicked off in earnest with a great acoustic set from James Walsh of Starsailor, who rattled out a few tunes before moving onto Liverpool classics including a quite brilliant improvised Mascherano / White Stripes tribute. Great stuff.

Liz McLarnon took the stage later in the evening and was every bit as talented and lovely as she appears on tv. She was wearing a blue top, but, given the exceptionally kind way in which Liz gave up her time we can forgive her the one little Evertonian fashion faux pas.

And whilst we're handing out bouquets, a big thanks to John, Kevin, Tom and Paul on the events side who helped us set the night up – you lads have been nothing short of magnificent.

The night ended with a resounding You'll Never Walk Alone as everyone started to make their way home. It's nights like this which make you hugely proud to be a Red and it's brilliant to see how many Reds are willing to engage and get behind something which is bang in the spirit of what Liverpool FC should be about.

If you were there, helped out, bought something at the auction, treated yourself to a nice new pair of trainers, threw into the buckets or if you've donated to the appeal otherwise – thank you. We hoped you enjoyed it every bit as much as we did and we will confirm the monies raised in due course – but it's looking very good indeed.

Ray was there for us, and we will be there for him.

Next stop for the appeal – the 92 football league grounds in April. Alternatively, if you're in Newry on St Patrick's Day, the Coleraine branch of the supporters' club are holding a benefit night for Ray and the appeal. Please log onto raotl.co.uk for details.

A paypal account has been set up for online donations – please pay all donations to rayofhopeappeal@hotmail.co.uk. Alternatively, please pay direct contributions to the Ray of Hope Appeal c/o HSBC account 21817299 sort-code 40-03-27. Paying direct or doing a bank transfer will avoid paypal commission.
      the faith healer
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 91 posts | 16 
      Reply #24: Feb 26, 2008 05:42:53 pm
      A special thanks to Bob and Retroreds who donated a huge amount of signed items and are the one official dealer of signed Liverpool memorabilia online and offer a huge range of shirts, photos and other items signed by some of our greatest players. Without Bob’s support, we wouldn’t have had a fraction of the stuff to sell that we did. Pay Retroreds a visit on www.retroreds.co.uk and see if there’s something that takes your fancy.
      the faith healer
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 91 posts | 16 
      Reply #25: Feb 29, 2008 03:37:39 pm
      Our Icelandic brothers and sisters are also promoting this appeal.

http://liverpool.no/cda/storypg.aspx...1&parentzone=0

Can anyone translate this?
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Ray of Hope Appeal / Parkinsons Disease
      Reply #26: Apr 08, 2008 11:08:55 am
      I know there is another topic/thread out there but I cannot find it. Perdon.

Tonight (Liverpool v Arsenal return leg, 8th April) in clubs and pubs up and down the country (and in some cases outside the country) many Arsenal and Liverpool fans will be carrying out collections for the Ray of Hope Appeal. Ray Kennedy has been suffering from Parksinsons Disease since the young age of 33...and needs our help/funds.

if you are in a club or pub tonight and a collection bucket goes by - please drop any spare change/note you make into the bucket... it's for such a worthy cause with the money going to both the Ray of Hope appeal and Parkinsons Research.

Below is a link, I hope you can read if you have a spare minute and contribute if you can. Thanks peeps.

Ray Kennedy a great player and a true gentleman of the great game.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/NG158896080221-1517.htm

YNWA

Cheers,
      donrafael
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Ray of Hope Appeal / Parkinsons Disease
      Reply #27: Apr 08, 2008 11:15:15 am
      I hope that everyone give something, that can help these people.
      God will pay us back, donrafael continue to help these people!

your sincerely
      Clint
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #28: Apr 08, 2008 11:19:56 am
      I hope that everyone give something, that can help these people.
      God will pay us back, donrafael continue to help these people!

your sincerely
      Clint

It's our 3rd collection tonight (we've done one for each game this week) - nice little sum on it's way to Ray tomorrow.

All the best.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      Reply #29: Apr 08, 2008 11:31:01 am
      It's our 3rd collection tonight (we've done one for each game this week) - nice little sum on it's way to Ray tomorrow.

All the best.
      Sorry mate but did not know 'cos i'm not from england.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #30: Apr 08, 2008 11:59:52 am
      Sorry mate but did not know 'cos I'm not from england.
      Neither am I mate, i'm in Madrid, organised by local LFC Branch.

Do you not have a LFC supporters branch where you live?

If not, start one... really great to watch games with fellow reds.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/club/aib/
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      Reply #31: Apr 08, 2008 12:14:42 pm
      Neither am I mate, I'm in Madrid, organised by local LFC Branch.

Do you not have a LFC supporters branch where you live?

If not, start one... really great to watch games with fellow reds.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/club/aib/

I from Malta (small island in the Mediterranean sea). We have our fan club too. And the website is walkonlfc.com
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #32: Apr 08, 2008 02:30:15 pm
      I from Malta (small island in the Mediterranean sea). We have our fan club too. And the website is walkonlfc.com

Excellent - Walk On Maltese Redmen!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #33: Apr 08, 2008 04:37:37 pm
      REPEAT POST - NO SHAME IN THIS ONE BEING REPEATED - GIVE GENEROUSLY OUT THERE PEEPS... I'M OFF NOW. YNWA...

Tonight (Liverpool v Arsenal return leg, 8th April) in clubs and pubs up and down the country (and in some cases outside the country) many Arsenal and Liverpool fans will be carrying out collections for the Ray of Hope Appeal. Ray Kennedy has been suffering from Parksinsons Disease since the young age of 33...and needs our help/funds.

If you are in a club or pub tonight and a collection bucket goes by - please drop any spare change/note you make into the bucket... it's for such a worthy cause with the money going to both the Ray of Hope appeal and Parkinsons Research.

Below is a link, I hope you can read if you have a spare minute and contribute if you can. Thanks peeps.

Ray Kennedy a great player and a true gentleman of the great game.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/NG158896080221-1517.htm

YNWA

Cheers,
      donrafael
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #34: Apr 09, 2008 01:08:36 pm
      400 lovely Euros on their way to Ray from LFC Madrid Branch.

Ray Kennedy - YNWA

MsGerrard
      Reply #35: Apr 28, 2008 03:17:29 pm
        GIVING GROUNDS FOR HOPE TO RAY KENNEDY

Daily Post 28 April 2008 

Steve Kelly, from Through The Wind & Rain, pays tribute to a group of Liverpool fans who visited all 92 League grounds to raise funds to help former Anfield great Ray Kennedy. 

Things happen for a reason. In December 2006 my friend Karl Coppack fell ill. Once he'd recovered the last thing he could remember before the attack was a conversation with me at the JJB Stadium in Wigan.

We've often wondered what sent Karl over the edge; the four goals Liverpool had scored in one half, the fact that Craig Bellamy got two of them - or that he saw me smiling at half-time. Any one of these would have been enough, but all three at once proved too much.

Perhaps it was fate that again brought him into contact with Andrew Lees. He was so ill that he had completely forgotten their previous meeting.

He had contacted Dr Lees for a fanzine article in 2005 because he was the doctor and biographer of Ray Kennedy. A Liverpool legend, and Karl's favourite player of all time.

This wasn't borne from a desire to be different. Sure, everyone else would cite Dalglish or Rush and the young 'uns (bless them) can seen no further back than Gerrard, but he shared this high regard with Bob Paisley, no mean judge of a footballer. With Arsenal and Liverpool Kennedy won every prize it is possible to win, and did so with style and elegance. He did everything well, and Liverpool were never the same side on the mercifully few occasions he was injured.

So Karl was now on speaking terms with a man of fundamental importance to his all-time hero.

Without ever breaching doctor-patient confidentiality it became clear that Ray's quality of life was nothing short of a scandal. Hardly surprising really; he had for two long decades been afflicted by Parkinson's Disease. The first signs are even visible in video footage of his heyday.

After a magnificent playing career in an era when footballers were not as obscenely wealthy as they are today, it must have felt like the worst practical joke in the world.

This fabulous athlete was laid low. The disease affected his speech and his movement. He would find himself seizing up in public, completely dependent on a kind stranger (usually a fan) who could get him home or to a hospital.

He was denied the chance to earn a living. Even today he knows far more about the game than some of the jokers they call pundits. He was forced to sell his most treasured possessions, including England caps and winners medals, 15 years ago.

Most people would hear this story, say "shame", shrug their shoulders and get on with their own lives, especially if they'd gone through what Karl had.

But he didn't; he decided to do something to help his hero. Now fully recovered he helped create the Ray Of Hope appeal. What they lacked in organisational skills they made up for with fervour and passion.

Overcoming shyness they put their case to the media in England and used the Liverpool websites and fanzines to spread the word.

After one particularly successful fund-raiser held at Anfield itself, it was decided that still more could be done. Karl, along with friends Matt Anton and Stephen Hinds, embarked on a chaotic journey across England and Wales to visit all 92 football league grounds.

Geeky, yes. Insane, undoubtedly - but it was all for Ray Kennedy, the hero of countless matches during Liverpool's golden age and a double-winner with Arsenal. He had given his all for us, so these Liverpool fans decided it was payback time.

They not only visited the grounds they asked the clubs for contributions to be auctioned for the cause. Most did. Closer to home, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher had already provided jerseys worn in the victory over Inter Milan.

By day four sleep deprivation and a recalcitrant Sat-Nav began to sap their strength and resolve. They were buoyed by further generosity and a visit to the home of the great man himself. They felt three quarters awe, one quarter sadness – but also an overwhelming feeling that their mission was just and appreciated by Ray.

They were to meet various friends all along the route. They were given sustenance and a place to sleep. It was a magnificent effort all round.

As they reached ground 92, Fulham's Craven Cottage, they were greeted like conquering heroes, which of course is exactly what they are. The least their team could do was give them a performance and a victory, and thankfully they did so.

Of course one of their visits was to Sheffield Wednesday, where they laid flowers at the memorial for the 96. Liverpool fans have never really been the media darlings, but there's one thing you can never accuse us of and that's forgetting our own.

"You'll Never Walk Alone" is a great song, inspirational even. For us it's more than that. It's an ethos, a code by which to live by.

After weeks of public acrimony and interminable backstabbing from our so- called betters that made our club a laughing stock, it is worth remembering that some still adhere to that code.

Ray Kennedy can testify to that. 

********************************************************************************************

A massive Well Done to these lads and I'm certain that Ray Kennedy appreciates what you've done.

:kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6:

Yeah........we do look after our own don't we, that's what makes Liverpool fans very special.  ;D
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #36: Apr 28, 2008 04:52:51 pm
      Watched the Ray documentary on LFC.TV with a few red lads after the game on Saturday.

At one point I looked around the room... and all of us... down to the last man, had a tear in our eye.

Our passion, our togetherness is simply on another level to ANY other football club's supporters on earth.

So very proud to be LiverpoolFC Til I Die.

Quick Reply