Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 30th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Plea for Pennant!

Read 2083 times
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Plea for Pennant!
      Apr 30, 2008 10:36:02 am
      Just a thought about tonight's match, we need to play Pennant!

My reason's are that he is a big team player and we would seriously regret not making the most of him at this stage of the competition.  I know people will argue and say that we play Kuyt on the right because he works better in Rafa's game plan but sod that we need to get back in the driving seat and this guy will take us there I'm sure of it.

Let us not forget he probably scored his best career goal in a Liverpool shirt against Chelsea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mUUjx4LQZY

If Rafa never plays him much next season or he leaves for another club then let it be after he has allowed us a passage into the final tonight.

Come on Rafa do the right thing  ;)

P.S I know I probably go on about Pennant a bit too much but I promise I will stop if he starts tonight.
      « Last Edit: Apr 30, 2008 10:38:13 am by AJ »
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Plea for Pennant!
      Reply #1: Apr 30, 2008 10:52:20 am
      Not for me tonight, Has been good against Birmingham and Fulham but they are both championship teams in my view and this is the champions league against a side with a outstanding home record. Al admit in the past Pennant has caused Cole trouble but I'd save him for the bench maybe last 20 minutes to come and test a tired Ashley Cole because Kuyt will have him working for a result tonight.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: Apr 30, 2008 10:54:57 am
      Well he can whip in a dangerous cross.  He's been consistant since getting back in to the team - who knows?

I'd be glad if we played Pennant.  But Rafa knows best.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #3: Apr 30, 2008 11:07:28 am
      Fecking play Pennant or Yossi over the Cack Kuyt - PLEASE.

Rafa has got an opportunity to show he's got some big balls tonight...in playing Crouch and Torres upfront.

What's the betting he sticks to Torres up top on his own with Kuyt on the right.  BORRRINGGGG
      AJ
      • Started Topic

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #4: Apr 30, 2008 11:11:37 am

Rafa has got an opportunity to show he's got some big balls tonight...in playing Crouch and Torres upfront.

What's the betting he sticks to Torres up top on his own with Kuyt on the right.  BORRRINGGGG

Exactally my point! we need the wingers and not some make shift second striker on the right when we have a perfectly good one in the squad who is playing really well right now.

F***ing hell I'm agreeing with you for once weird ??? ;)
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #5: Apr 30, 2008 11:13:46 am
      Have a job and a family mate - can't be on here all the time.  Also, need a break from time to time...to build some good Karma.
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      Reply #6: Apr 30, 2008 11:14:50 am
      Can't see it happning myself lads. But I would rather Jermaine gets the nod over Yossi anyways. Has Jermaine got the experience for a big game like tonight and you have to consider how many goals Kuyt has popped up with in the Champs League this season, he is our Garcia from 2005.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #7: Apr 30, 2008 11:19:02 am
      Can't see it happning myself lads. But I would rather Jermaine gets the nod over Yossi anyways. Has Jermaine got the experience for a big game like tonight and you have to consider how many goals Kuyt has popped up with in the Champs League this season, he is our Garcia from 2005.

I would hope Kuyt would pop up with a few goals - considering he was originally bought as a Forward !  They guy gives 100%...no questions...but he cannot deliver a killer cross or ball that is going to benefit Crouch if he plays.

I actually like Yossi - he's an intelligent player - just hasn't been given a proper run in the side / a chance to establish himself.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,345 posts | 4966 
      Reply #8: Apr 30, 2008 11:19:46 am
      Exactally my point! we need the wingers and not some make shift second striker on the right

This is a player who has proved very effective in this role and is our top scorer in the competition this season! I don't think there is any doubt that Dirk will start tonight and put in another excellent performance.

I disagree about Pennant as I don't feel he is a big game player. He is a good solid player but doesn't offer the same goal threat that Babel, Yossi or Kuyt does.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #9: Apr 30, 2008 11:22:33 am
      This is a player who has proved very effective in this role and is our top scorer in the competition this season! I don't think there is any doubt that Dirk will start tonight and put in another excellent performance.

I disagree about Pennant as I don't feel he is a big game player. He is a good solid player but doesn't offer the same goal threat that Babel, Yossi or Kuyt does.

Pennant played well in the last years semi final against Chavski, where he outplayed Cole.  He also had a good game against Milan in the final.  He looked fecking good against Birmingham at the weekend - showed much more than Kuyt could do in that position.
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      Reply #10: Apr 30, 2008 11:24:46 am
      I would hope Kuyt would pop up with a few goals - considering he was originally bought as a Forward !  They guy gives 100%...no questions...but he cannot deliver a killer cross or ball that is going to benefit Crouch if he plays.

I actually like Yossi - he's an intelligent player - just hasn't been given a proper run in the side / a chance to establish himself.

If Crouchy was to play tonight I think Rafa would play Gerrard on the right. Hopefully this won't happen because he needs to play a massive role tonight. Now come to think of it I think Rafa will play the same 11 that started against Arsenal in the 2nd leg, hopefully they start a bit better than last time. On the right will be Stevie with Xabi and Masch in centre. Maybe Stevie will be on the left?....Aww its all too nervous for my liking...Just want the game to happen now!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,345 posts | 4966 
      Reply #11: Apr 30, 2008 11:28:40 am
      Pennant played well in the last years semi final against Chavski, where he outplayed Cole.  He also had a good game against Milan in the final.  He looked fecking good against Birmingham at the weekend - showed much more than Kuyt could do in that position.

I'm not denying that Jermaine has not had some good games for us but for me Kuyt is much more consistant and offers a lot more in the current formation. He works tirelessly, gives more of a goal threat and can deliver a very good cross. If Rafa did go for a 4-4-2 then maybe there is an argument for Pennant but not in the formation we have been playing over the last few monts.
      SPARKYMARKY
      • Forum David Johnson

• 214 posts |
      • ian rush sent kendall to the bottle
      Reply #12: Apr 30, 2008 11:31:24 am
      I dunno , i think if crouch starts then so will pennant , big peter will know that when pennant has a chance to deliver he will and peter will be more alert in the box , on the other hand kuyt has done very well for us and he has an engine , rafa its up to you...
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      Reply #13: Apr 30, 2008 11:32:45 am
      I'm not denying that Jermaine has not had some good games for us but for me Kuyt is much more consistant and offers a lot more in the current formation. He works tirelessly, gives more of a goal threat and can deliver a very good cross. If Rafa did go for a 4-4-2 then maybe there is an argument for Pennant but not in the formation we have been playing over the last few monts.

Yeah if Rafa was to play a 4-4-2 system then I would have Jermaine on the right, that would then lead to the debate who would start in the centre. Obv Stevie but who to partner? My vote would have to be Masch.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #14: Apr 30, 2008 12:22:49 pm
      I can understand there being an argument for Pennant playing due to the couple of good performances he's put in recently, but not due to the fact that Crouch might be playing. One thing Crouch has shown over his time with us is that for a tall guy he is very poor at attacking the ball with his head, if he plays I don't see that as a reason for needing someone whipping in crosses as he's unlikely to do too much with them.

I wouldn't go 4-4-2 for this one anyway, as doing so would nulify one of our main threats, Gerrard. The 4-2-3-1 formation gives Stevie the freedom to attack safe in the knowledge that he has Masch & Alonso behind him if we lose possession. Put him in a 4-4-2 and he has to focus on defending a lot more, losing a lot of the attacking threat he offers. If we do stick with the 4-2-3-1 I don't see any role for Pennant tonight, the formation requires wide players who get into the box & offer a goal threat, something I'm sure even the most ardent Pennant fan would agree isn't his strong point.

I'm surprised considering the amount of criticism levied at Rafa over rotation this season that there are so many people wishing to change a winning formula. If it was down to me I'd stick with the 4-2-3-1 with Kuyt on the right.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #15: Apr 30, 2008 12:29:21 pm
      He wont get a chance. I dont think rafa's fond of him, he only ever gets praise after a  good game and never just for his overall play.

It will be kuyt on the right and i think we all know it to be honest. I just hope he doesnt leave he is a great player and still has alot to offer.
      liverpoolian34
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts | -1 
      • THE GREATEST.
      Reply #16: Apr 30, 2008 12:31:53 pm
      i disagree, kuyt has been awesome in cl this season, he may come in for babel, and we could then use babel and crouch as super subs.
      AJ
      • Started Topic

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #17: Apr 30, 2008 01:22:53 pm

I do think Kuyt has been playing really well and he did score the goal for us in the first leg but I just feel we need to come into this game with wing play from pennant and maybe Babel/Yossi.  If we stick to the current formation with Kuyt on the right and Gerrard playing up front I think we would miss a lot of chances than we would have if we had Pennant playing in Torres AND Crouch with a classic 4-4-2.

I wouldn't go 4-4-2 for this one anyway, as doing so would nulify one of our main threats, Gerrard. The 4-2-3-1 formation gives Stevie the freedom to attack safe in the knowledge that he has Masch & Alonso behind him if we lose possession. Put him in a 4-4-2 and he has to focus on defending a lot more, losing a lot of the attacking threat he offers. If we do stick with the 4-2-3-1 I don't see any role for Pennant tonight, the formation requires wide players who get into the box & offer a goal threat, something I'm sure even the most ardent Pennant fan would agree isn't his strong point.

Yes the CL formation with Kuyt requires Pennant to cut in a bit more but if we play a classic premiership jobby with ya 2 strikers and decent winger's and Masch and Gerrard in the centre I think we could have a real good go at them tonight.  However if Rafa decides to stick with the winning formula of 4-2-3-1 then it's obvious that Pennant will be out of his depth but I strongly believe that set up will not do us any favours cos that's what Chelsea will be expecting and will just pin Terry on Torres and Cavalho on Gerrard then Cole will keep an eye on Kuyt.  If we have 2 strikers AND Gerrard playing in position plus the added fact that Babel likes to break in from the left and Pennant swings em in on the right I think we could have a goal fest!

IB
      • Prediction League Champion 2008/09
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts | 18 
      Reply #18: Apr 30, 2008 04:58:29 pm
      There has been so many times when we've wanted to change Kuyt for another winger in the Champions league and I have been one of them! But with goals against Inter Milan, Arsenal and Chelsea I think we can say that hes proved himself worthy.

I said this a long time as a joke "Kuyt will surely be the one to lead us to Moscow". So far he's had a massive contribution to it, I never thought that my statement would be so close to becoming real. COME ON KUYT!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #19: Apr 30, 2008 06:59:20 pm
      Rafa knows what he is doing and if it does'nt work then Pennant will come on.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #20: Apr 30, 2008 07:09:25 pm
      I can fully understand the shouts of having Pennant in the team, but this game is exactly the ttype of game for Kuyt.  His energy will be crucial it may be a possibility of playing him off the bench even though with the line up we have we may well see us try the 3 5 2 formation late on, in which case Kuyt should not be replaced IMO.

Quick Reply