Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Roque Santa Cruz (Blackburn Rovers)

Read 8070 times
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Re: Roque Santa Cruz (Blackburn Rovers)
      Reply #23: Apr 21, 2009 12:47:01 am
      Just read this on the Sky Sports website.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5215915,00.html
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Apr 21, 2009 01:04:13 am
      The article from the link posted above by danny8t4:

Roque reveals exit plan

Blackburn star still wants to quit the club

Roque Santa Cruz has revealed that he has already told Blackburn that he wants to leave the club this summer.

The Paraguayan star was the subject of more than one bid from Manchester City in January - but Rovers stood firm and shunned the offers.

A host of clubs are continually being linked with the former Bayern Munich man - who has confirmed that he will defintley be looking to leave the club.

The 27-year-old is currently recovering from knee surgery and he told the media in his homeland that he would be looking to quit Ewood Park - whether they stay up or not.

"I have already told them (Blackburn) and they know that before the transfer window closes I would like to continue my career at a bigger, more ambitious team," he told Radio Nanduti.

"Even though I haven't heard anything, I haven't changed my mind."

Season over

Santa Cruz admits he may struggle to play for Rovers again this season, admitting that he could very well have already played his final game for the club.

"I think it will be very difficult for me to play again this season because of the recovery. Our last league match is on May 24 and I also need a couple of days for my knee to physically recover," he said.

"I had to clean the zone where I had the cruciate ligament operation I had three or four years ago because there was some liquid there.

"When I had the tendonitis in the left knee, it made the other leg overwork. That's why it got worse and I needed the surgery.

"Now, it is up to the knee. The recovery time is between four and six weeks and I will not hurry. The most important thing is to play without any problems.

"I will wait for my knee to be perfect, no matter how long it takes."

Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,709 posts | 895 
      Reply #25: Apr 21, 2009 01:13:19 am
      I am against bringing him in, i cant see santa cruz and nando playing well together. too much alike in my opinion. santa cruz is a goal poacher, and he would choose to take a long range shot rather then pass it someone front of himself. thats my opinion after observing him playing for rovers + i feel like he wont enjoy being over shadowed by nando, he would like to be nr "9" (star-player)
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #26: Apr 21, 2009 02:55:15 am
      I like Santa Cruz and what he can bring to the team, it is something we lacked seen Crouch left the club but it all depends on what price is being thrown around.
      tedward78
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 204 posts | -5 
      Reply #27: Apr 21, 2009 06:40:44 am
      10-12 million??
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #28: Apr 21, 2009 09:50:30 am
      No thanks.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #29: Apr 21, 2009 09:58:49 am
      Not sure about him. I know he's kind of prolific and maybe he would get the goals for us. But this raises another question: Will it break the Torres and Gerrard combo?

Lets see how this develops as it looks to be an interesting saga. And as if now, Barry's saga looks to be over, can't see him coming anymore.
      Fowlers God
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 58 posts |
      Reply #30: Apr 21, 2009 10:28:02 am
      The move needs to be right, we don't want another Robbie Keane situation...

We need a striker yes but also a proper genuine right winger more so.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #31: Apr 21, 2009 10:37:55 am
      No.. too expensive for a back up winger. Don't need a striker to play with Torres. Also I don't think he's good enough for Liverpool
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #32: Apr 21, 2009 11:34:56 am
      No way I think someone said he is prolific, no he is not the only time he got double figures in a season was last season, he had an average of 6 a season for Bayern, the  price Ive heard is 20 million are Blackburn having a laugh this is another Bentley signing, let City with all there money sign this lad, he would not be a good signing for us.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #33: Apr 21, 2009 01:25:15 pm
      Yes please. And heres why

He wants to move to a big club and challenge for things. We want someone of top quality who can cover Nando or come off the bench to change a game or give us another option for a decent sum. 10 million would probably get him since fat Sam and Blackburn could be relegated. He knows the prem league well, speaks the language and if he doesnt speak it well theres a load of Spainish lads in the dressing room.

Yep Id be well pleased to land him compared to some of the other names being thrown about on this board
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #34: Apr 21, 2009 05:26:52 pm
      He has being poor this season he has 4 in 17, sure why don't we buy McCarthy as well, he had a good season for Blackburn a couple of years ago, Santa Cruz had one good season have we not learned from other signings made by other clubs on the back of one season, look at Bentley, Bent, Bellamy(there was people on here calling for the signing of the fiirst two). As I've said already he has an average of 6 goals a season in his career and if you examine his career he has being very injury prone. Please don't sign this lad, he is similar to Torres without the pace can't see him being able to form a partnership with Torres.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #35: Apr 21, 2009 05:28:04 pm
      I personally don't really rate him. There are far far better players out there for what they are asking for.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #36: Apr 22, 2009 10:50:01 am
      Plus his injuries, he'll need time to fully recover. He didn't play any competitive games yet because of his injury. We know that he's a goal poacher but with his injuries right now and time needed to fully recover and another time for him to get to his fully best condition, I say it's a waste of time and money!
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #37: Apr 22, 2009 11:54:56 am
      He has being poor this season he has 4 in 17, sure why don't we buy McCarthy as well, he had a good season for Blackburn a couple of years ago, Santa Cruz had one good season have we not learned from other signings made by other clubs on the back of one season, look at Bentley, Bent, Bellamy(there was people on here calling for the signing of the fiirst two). As I've said already he has an average of 6 goals a season in his career and if you examine his career he has being very injury prone. Please don't sign this lad, he is similar to Torres without the pace can't see him being able to form a partnership with Torres.

Two points:
      1. Why do people keep saying we need a striker to 'form a partnership with Torres'. He is a lone striker, the only player to have successfully played with him as a striker is David Villa and that is because Torres pushes higher up the pitch to assist Villa, its a one off situation. IF we sign a striker it should be someone who doesn't need to form a partner ship with Torres, they have to be capable of playing as a lone striker coming of the bench, or stay out of Torres' way  and take defenders away from Torres when they come off the bench.
      2. I don't believe he's good enough even off the bench
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #38: Apr 22, 2009 03:26:43 pm
      If so we don't really need a striker why not we find a right winger that can be a striker, meaning the winger that pull defenders away from Torres and give the space he needed. A winger that can cause trouble to the defenders. We all know Torres-Gerrard partnership is brilliant and other teams also knows that. By buying right midfielder/winger that have the same stature and ability as Gerrard does will surely create a hell for the opposing teams.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #39: Apr 22, 2009 03:44:54 pm
      If so we don't really need a striker why not we find a right winger that can be a striker, meaning the winger that pull defenders away from Torres and give the space he needed. A winger that can cause trouble to the defenders. We all know Torres-Gerrard partnership is brilliant and other teams also knows that. By buying right midfielder/winger that have the same stature and ability as Gerrard does will surely create a hell for the opposing teams.

I think David Silva would fit that bill perfectly ...even though he is a left sided midfielder he's very versatile and can play in that position ! He can cause trouble for defenders and also create space for himself and other and he links up with Torres very well plus .....he just oozes class !
      john jones
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #40: Apr 22, 2009 09:12:20 pm
      He has scored a few stunners but not convinced he is not injury proned
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #41: Apr 30, 2009 12:16:01 am
      Not a bad player, but not good enough for the reds.

After the Keane disaster I don't want to take anymore one trick ponies.  The 'done it in the Premiership' factor no longer holds much water IMO.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #42: May 18, 2009 02:26:05 pm
      Further to my above point, from what I'm hearing, this is seriously on the cards.
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #43: May 18, 2009 02:28:44 pm
      Further to my above point, from what I'm hearing, this is seriously on the cards.

Is your source reliable ?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #44: May 18, 2009 02:43:52 pm
      I wouldn't have posted if it didn't have some credibility.

I can imagine Big Fat Headed Sam will be a major stumbling block though.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #45: May 18, 2009 02:45:16 pm
      He'll definitely add strength in depth for us, that we're lacking upfront.  Smooth move.  Just hope we're not paying too much!!!

Quick Reply