Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Pompey or Cardiff - FA Cup Final

Read 5899 times
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Pompey or Cardiff - FA Cup Final
      May 17, 2008 08:45:39 am
      Im a bit torn today as too who Im going to be gunning for to win the cup( not that I could really give a flying F**k to be honest but at least it will give me something to do this afternoon). I would love to see Cardiff win it if Robbie comes on and scores ,but I do have a soft spot for Portsmouth seeing as I did live there for a while and actaully watched them a couple of times when they were in the fourth division, I also do have a lot of respect for Harry Redknapp. The only thing I can think of is to wish both teams the best of luck and may the best man win, I just hope its a good game we can all enjoy. Play up Pompey Im going for a 2-1 win with David James getting both goals for Pompey with amazing full field runs from goal to score and a Cardiff eqauliser from god himself, now that would make a good final...
      « Last Edit: May 17, 2008 03:12:42 pm by redkenny »
      stiffler
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 137 posts |
      Re: Pompey or Cardiff
      Reply #1: May 17, 2008 08:54:12 am
      I have a mate who plays for portsmouth reserves, though I still want Cardiff to win the competition this year, just to finish of the cup year of the underdog. With Havant and Waterloovilles run, Barnsley knocking out us and chelsea, and none of the big four making the final since god knows when, it would be fitting to see Cardiff win.

Oh- and to see Robbie lift the cup would be a bonus!
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: May 17, 2008 09:04:45 am
      PLAY UP POMPEY!!!  :D

Obviously would love to see Fowler to come on and take it to ET - Pens, though.  ::)
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3: May 17, 2008 11:44:33 am
      Mon the Bluebirds
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #4: May 17, 2008 11:46:37 am
      Well the family have been split down the middle today, my eldest daughter and youngest daughter have gone for Cardiff and the wife and I have gone for pompey (this was decided by the drawing of straws no less) My son doesnt give a F**k as Jamie and Steve G aint playing and just wants to dress up as spiderman heres the proof...

The game is in HD so that is kewl Im getting a glass of red wine and sitting down to watch some great football  :f_tongueincheek:

F***ing game against Barnesly bugger it.. Now Im even more pissed as Robbie might be starting..

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: May 17, 2008 11:50:14 am
       :lmao:  Love the Spiderman outfit Prag, you sure its not you underneath all that  ;) :D :D 

Kenny might want to borrow that for the Charity Do  ;) :D :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: May 17, 2008 12:54:53 pm
      Quality pic of your son there Prag! You wanna keep your eye on those pet tigers you've got though. I think they like each other. And I wouldn't do that suit justice like Prags son does Smiggs. Can I go as Batman instead? You can be Robin.  ;) :D

Reckon I'll side with Pompey today. Got a lot of respect for Harry Redknapp. Plus Dave Jones used to play for the bitters. So it's not a hard decision.

One thing's for sure, I'd like to see Fowler come on and get a goal though. And I'd be chuffed if he skies one over the bar and knocks those bells out of that annoying Pompey fan's hands!
      Koppite_1985
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #7: May 17, 2008 12:57:29 pm
      ideal world it wouldnt be pompey in final as they did nowt to deserve it....yet id love to see cardiff win thru a robbie fowler screamer. hehe a guy can dream
      drawde
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | -1 
      • Adward
      Reply #8: May 17, 2008 01:41:34 pm
      I want Cardiff as the underdogs to win, but I want Redknapp to win a trophy... Ideally Redknapp would be manager of Cardiff.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: May 17, 2008 02:41:19 pm
      Cardiff. Underdogs are always good to see win (unless its against us of course).
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #10: May 17, 2008 02:55:04 pm
      Sorry, I'm with RedKenny on this one for the same reasons, Come on Pompey !! (even though your fans are the most annoying in the world) !! :D :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Pompey or Cardiff - FA Cup Final
      Reply #11: May 17, 2008 03:13:54 pm
      Come on Pompey!! Even more annoyed at Cardiff for not even having Fowler on the bench!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #12: May 17, 2008 03:39:49 pm
      1-0 Pompey. Kanu haha
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #13: May 17, 2008 04:01:17 pm
      Cardiff keeper doesnt want to catch the ball at all does he!! Dreadfull mistake by him really for kanu to jump on really, but a good game so far to be honest quite enjoying it. Have any of you seen that pompey supporter with that big hat and the dreadlocks and all those tattoos, when they scored he was crying bless him ;D .....

This guy
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #14: May 17, 2008 04:32:29 pm
      Have any of you seen that pompey supporter with that big hat and the dreadlocks and all those tattoos, when they scored he was crying bless him ;D .....

This guy

That's the fella I was talking about mate. He's always constantly ringing a cowbell or something everytime we've played Pompey!
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #15: May 17, 2008 04:52:22 pm
      Game gone so far as expected. Kanu should have put Portsmouth 3 goals up! 4 added minutes?!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #16: May 17, 2008 04:54:12 pm
      Mad isn't it. Where did those four minutes come from?

If Fowler would have been playing it would have been one all by now.  ;)
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #17: May 17, 2008 04:56:32 pm
      Portsmouth wins the FA Cup!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #18: May 17, 2008 05:09:34 pm
      Well done Pompey !!  Not the best of games but a great achievement after 79 years !!  ;)
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #19: May 17, 2008 06:18:46 pm
      HAHAHAHAHA!!!

POMPEY!!!!  :lmao:

The FA Cup off to Wales?  No chance!
      RedWilly

• 9,198 posts | 1641 
      Reply #20: May 18, 2008 12:00:25 am
      Nicola isn't going to be happy! Fair play Pompey, anyone who knocks the scums out after getting battered for 85mins deserves to win it in my book!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: May 18, 2008 03:10:17 am
      Aaron Ramsey, changed the game after he came on. Took a few touches to get settled but once he did he was amazing.

Bad luck Cardiff, might be a long wait between cup finals for them. Well done Pompey.

That nutter in the photo above (Pompey fan) as annoying as he looked, he was passionate, his ink on his body was shockin' and he cried at the end. Thats the FA Cup right there. Again, well done Pompey and especially Harry.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #22: May 18, 2008 08:20:41 am
      Well done Pompey, bad luck Nicola !
      well I´m off round to my local Britt bar here in Spaiin for a free pint off of the Pompey supporting owner (bar´s called Spinnaker )!
      wifes team are Exeter there in the Blue Squre Prem playoff today at Wembley so come on you Grecians !
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #23: May 18, 2008 11:36:34 am
      Well done Pompey, bad luck Nicola !
      well I´m off round to my local Britt bar here in Spaiin for a free pint off of the Pompey supporting owner (bar´s called Spinnaker )!
      wifes team are Exeter there in the Blue Squre Prem playoff today at Wembley so come on you Grecians !

I live in Exeter and was asked if I wanted to go today to wembley (not been since the rebuild), I just couldnt bring myself to do it, I said there is only one team I can ever watch or goto or even contemplate going anywhere for, and thats the redmen. Hope they win though as a few friends are Exeter Shitty supporters good luck to em, but I really couldnt give a F**k to be honest, but will probably watch the game on Setanta.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6952 
      Reply #24: May 18, 2008 01:32:34 pm
      It would have been wrong seeing Fowler in another clubs colours celebrating an FA Cup win, in or out the squad.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #25: May 19, 2008 12:36:44 pm
      Must be the first FA cup final in years ive missed,looks like i didnt miss much.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #26: May 21, 2008 11:56:12 am
      HAHAHAHAHA!!!

POMPEY!!!!  :lmao:

The FA Cup off to Wales?  No chance!
      Bit childish innit? It's not about it being 'in Wales' it's about the team who wins it, and we could have.

By the way I didn't agree with our anthem being played, the FA decided that it had nothing to do with Cardiff City FC.

ideal world it wouldnt be pompey in final as they did nowt to deserve it....yet id love to see cardiff win thru a robbie fowler screamer. hehe a guy can dream

How do they not desreve it? Both teams who got to the final totally deserved it. We went to sh*t grounds like Chasetown and Hereford, and had to play Middlesbrough away - Pompey knocked out Man Utd - is that not enough?

IMO it would have been wrong for Fowler to play and get a winners' medal when he has done practically nothing for us this season.

Nevermind eh.

I'm (still) in a weird.. state.. I don't feel like we lost.. I'm soo proud of the boys for getting to the FA Cup Final like - it still sounds weird to say it - just so happy to be FA Cup Runners Up 2008 :D Now that probably means f*ck all to you lot, with the 18 leagues, 5 Champs Leagues, etc etc you have, but for Cardiff who have 1 FA Cup, 1 Community Shield and now 2 FA Cup Runners Up (1925 and 2008) it's quite an achievement. Especially with the crap season we've had with the court case, debt, and all that.

It was definitely a 'fans final' though. We stayed for almost an hour at the end.. clapping our players, clapping Pompey when they picked up the Cup, and just dancing around with our free flags really.. we waited until all our staff had gone back in the tunnel until we left. Any 'bigger' teams and the losing fans would've been out of the ground 5 mins after FT. It was nice to see an English captain and manager lift the Cup aswell.

Maybe it wasn't the most exciting of games to you lot, the start was a bit boring, but I don't care really, it was exciting for the fans - and nothing could be as boring as last year's final, ever!!

Yes an error by Enckelman let that goal in but I feel if they hadn't scored that one they probably would have got another .. we have had a problem getting 'keepers this season, and if you'd seen Oakes in goal - you'd think Enckelman was f*cking brilliant!! I am not putting the blame on him though, this happens.

The players and staff were obviously gutted, I was sad (I did cry at FT but that was because some of our players were sat on the floor - they set me off ;D ) but as I said we went down fighting, we only lost to 1 lucky goal (my opinion). In the end the Premiership quality (and more money) showed through but we have nothing to be embarrassed about even though we lost.

On Sunday the council had arranged a parade for if we won (obviously) through the Bae and town but if we lost a 'welcome home' thing which was down the Bae. About 3k-4k fans were there on Sunday afternoon to welcome the 'heroes' home - we cheered, clapped, sang, chanted, and when Dave Jones apologised for not bringing the Cup home we all just cheered.

Hopefully Sunday made the players feel better - they would have been really downhearted Saturday but after seeing how proud the City fans were (and still are!) on Sunday it hopefully lifted their spirits a bit.

It would have been great to play Man Utd in the Community Shield and a few teams in Europe but it wasn't meant to be.. best of luck to Pompey, as a non money making "big 4" as some call it, a proper fans' team, against Man Utd and in Europe :)

I can put a few pics up if anyone likes?
      They are on my Facebook anyway..
      Part 1 Wembley: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=37436&id=285900606
      Part 2 Wembley: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=37437&id=285900606
      Welcome home Sunday: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=37439&id=285900606
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #27: May 21, 2008 05:51:48 pm
      Bit childish innit? It's not about it being 'in Wales' it's about the team who wins it, and we could have.

By the way I didn't agree with our anthem being played, the FA decided that it had nothing to do with Cardiff City FC.

Well in my honest opinion the only time you even looked like getting something out of the game was towards the end when a header as directed to the floor other than the goal.

But all this Bluebirds flying high in the charts, come on.  Bluebirds flying/lying low from the Swansea fans!!!  :D :D :D

Bit of pay back anyway Nicola seeing that you did laugh at us getting beat by Barnsley.  ;)

So there we have it.  Cardiff in their last appearance in the FA Cup final.  Shame you didn't win it.  not  :lmao:
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #28: May 21, 2008 05:57:16 pm
      Come on Pompey!! Even more annoyed at Cardiff for not even having Fowler on the bench!

They would of had a better chance!!!

Couldn't believe it.  Oh well.  He chose the ex rent boy Hasselbaink who ended up getting subbed off any way, could of been Fowler coming on in place, but not to be eh.  ;) 
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29: May 24, 2008 10:33:14 pm
      I can't actually be bothered to argue with you over this Court cos you're just being a bit stupid IMO.

I only laughed when Barnsley beat Liverpool because I couldn't believe it, I f*cking loved it when they beat Chelsea, and I loved it when we beat them! As you will see no City fan's spirits are dampened STILL, a week after the Final, we are still so proud of our club.

Last time you think? We'll see.

And I thought Fowler would be on the bench because of all the fuss and him fighting for fitness and stuff, I was really surprised that he wasn't, would've been nice for him to play about 10-15 mins at the end.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #30: May 25, 2008 12:46:23 am
      Maybe it wasn't the most exciting of games to you lot, the start was a bit boring, but I don't care really, it was exciting for the fans - and nothing could be as boring as last year's final, ever!!

Not taking the piss, I actually fell asleep during last year's FA Cup Final! :D I was in me mates and fell asleep sitting up during the second half!
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #31: May 25, 2008 11:07:22 am
      Well then I'll leave you so it can all sink in appropriately.

Another thing.

Enjoy discussing about the best club in the land.  If that makes sense.   :D
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #32: May 25, 2008 11:15:33 pm
      Fair enough mate, brilliant picture that, an English manager and English manager winning the FA Cup.. I was happy for Redknapp and Campbell, I genuinely was. It was great watching all the confetti stuff come down from the ceiling and fireworks shooting up off the pitch although I don't think I got pictures of those.

Confetti.

Just checked and I didn't get any of them lifting the Cup either, I remember I definitely applauded though, and in some of my pictures of us dancing at the end (;D) you can see them with their champagne in the dressing room.

I can genuinely say: WELL DONE POMPEY  :champ:

Quick Reply