Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Rioting in Manchester

Read 3466 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Rioting in Manchester
      May 14, 2008 11:01:44 pm
      Zenit St Petersburg have won their first Uefa Cup when Igor Denisov and Konstantin Zyrianov's second-half goals gave the Russian side a 2-0 win over Rangers.

However, much of the action went on outside the City of Manchester stadium when thousands of fans were left angry when the screen meant to be showing the game in the Piccadilly Garden fan zone failed to work.

A Russian fan was stabbed outside the City of Manchester football stadium, police said.

Greater Manchester Police said the fan suffered non-life threatening injuries in the attack outside the stadium.

Six men, believed to be Rangers fans, have been arrested for a serious assault, according to police.

Disgruntled supporters streamed away from the zone in search of somewhere else to watch the match after having waited all day to see it.

Riot police had to be deployed around Piccadilly Gardens after Rangers fans began throwing bottles and cans at them.

Riot officers hit several of the fans with their batons, and then backed off.

Gary Maitland, 22, from the Castlemilk area of Glasgow, said: "I'm outraged. I waited there for about five hours. We spent a lot of money to come down from Glasgow.

"What are we gonna do now?"

Rangers fans would not have been any happier with what happened inside the stadium.

Midfielder Denisov broke the deadlock in the 72nd minute after playmaker Andrei Arshavin slipped the ball neatly through for him to calmly shoot past goalkeeper Neil Alexander and Zyrianov added their second goal in stoppage time.

Zenit created most of the chances at the City of Manchester stadium, with the Scottish side content to soak up pressure.

Rangers could have made more of a scramble in the box early in the second half after Zenit keeper Vyacheslav Malafeev fumbled a Jean-Claude Darcheville shot.

Rangers, appearing in their first European final since lifting the Cup Winners' Cup in 1972, desperately sought an equaliser but Zenit kept up the pressure and Zyrianov made sure of the victory by finishing a fine move from close range.

Apparently 30 Rangers fans have been arrested so far and there is still a stand off going on in Manchester.

Whatever happened to the loveable Tartan army the media like telling us about.

Moral of the story: Never send a Manc to do a Man's job.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Re: Rioting in Manchester
      Reply #1: May 14, 2008 11:20:05 pm
      I always thought there might be some trouble if things didn't go Rangers way as you can't have 100,000 fans in one city and not expect to have a few trouble makers in that crowd.

Whatever happened to the loveable Tartan army the media like telling us about.

Another myth that gets latched onto by the media. I would say that most scottish supporters are well behaved but like any club/country there will be an element who will want to cause trouble and this applies to any group of supporters.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #2: May 14, 2008 11:22:29 pm
      My 16 year old 5ft6" brother went to watch the game in manchester. Was on the way back to piccadilly train station while the riot police were chasing the 'Gers fans. Walking with his hands up and one of the cu*ts tw*ts him in the knee cap with a cosh and beat him to the ground. I mean, he's a little skinny b***ard. What F***ing damage is he gonna do even if he was kicking off.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #3: May 14, 2008 11:27:24 pm
      Hope he's allright.  Needs to take out his frustration on GTA4 (when he's old enough obviously).

Looks like another bad night for the image of 'British' supporters.  Platini will be pleased.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #4: May 14, 2008 11:33:21 pm
      Hope he's allright.  Needs to take out his frustration on GTA4 (when he's old enough obviously).

Looks like another bad night for the image of 'British' supporters.  Platini will be pleased.

Cheers JD. He's not too bad. Few bruises here and there.

:D few rocket launchers and a trip to the police station should do the trick.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: May 14, 2008 11:36:52 pm
      Cheers JD. He's not too bad. Few bruises here and there.

:D few rocket launchers and a trip to the police station should do the trick.

I hate the F***ing pigs.

Nothing but scum half of them.  F***ing useless.  Hope your Bro' is OK Paul.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #6: May 14, 2008 11:42:06 pm
      I hate the F***ing pigs.

Nothing but scum half of them.  F***ing useless.  Hope your Bro' is OK Paul.

He's sound now cheers Court.

Just got a text off me mate trying to get into a club called Birdcage. Doors were at 10pm and they're still not letting in. Apparently there are a fair few pissed up Gers fan being dicks but the majority of it is being caused by the police.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #7: May 14, 2008 11:46:52 pm
      I hate the F***ing pigs.

Nothing but scum half of them.  F***ing useless.

Mate I got arrested for telling a police woman to F**k off as she kept swearing at me. She was calling me a tw*t, an idiot and a F***ing pr**k and she said I wasn't getting my wallet back so I said F**k off then and the male officer asked me if I swore at her colleague and I was like erm she's been swearing at me all day. Right he says, you under arrest for blah blah.. apparently I swore and shouted at two uniformed officers, well instead I actually told the police woman to F**k off in the softest tone you can get.

To be honest police have the power over many people and they abuse that power rule to make themselves feel happy. They are cu*ts!
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #8: May 14, 2008 11:54:17 pm
      Mate I got arrested for telling a police woman to F**k off as she kept swearing at me. She was calling me a tw*t, an idiot and a F***ing pr**k and she said I wasn't getting my wallet back so I said F**k off then and the male officer asked me if I swore at her colleague and I was like erm she's been swearing at me all day. Right he says, you under arrest for blah blah.. apparently I swore and shouted at two uniformed officers, well instead I actually told the police woman to F**k off in the softest tone you can get.

To be honest police have the power over many people and they abuse that power rule to make themselves feel happy. They are cu*ts!

Theres one copper in particular round my end, gets away with anything. Few years back when I was in high school, he didn't like this lad who went my school but couldn't pin anything on him so one day he grabbed him, shoved him in the back of his van and smacked him about. The c**t used to talk to everyone like sh*te. He tryed to get my mate arrested for having his house keys on him. Saying he brought them out as a weapon.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #9: May 15, 2008 01:17:57 am
      Sorry to hear that Robbo. Hate hearing of innocent people getting the wrong end of the stick. I'm a bit worried because one of my mates works for Man City on the events side of things and she hasn't text me back yet.

Wonder what William gay-lard will have to say about this tomorrow then?
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #10: May 15, 2008 10:09:50 am
      Man, bad idea Ra Ra, I know the female officer was giving you lip, but you never ever answer back to them. They always win, and I bet she was probably winding you up just so they would have legitimate reasons to arrest you or something.

Anyway, interesting how this incident isn't followed by calls to ban the club or supporters from Europe like the reaction to the 'incident' of overcrowding in Athens last year. Does this go someway to proving a prejudice against Liverpool supporters when it comes to crowd trouble just because of tragic accidents like Heysel?

Sorry to hear about your brother paul, hope he's alright and isn't hurt too bad.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #11: May 15, 2008 12:01:17 pm
      He's sound now, cheers lads!

Your mate ok RK?

I'm in college today. When I got into manchester the train station was a sh*t hole.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #12: May 15, 2008 06:00:53 pm
      Yeah she's alright cheers mate. Took her a while to get home though.

Been pretty quiet concerning last nights trouble hasn't it.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #13: May 15, 2008 08:59:55 pm
      Here's the cause  ;) :D :D

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #14: May 16, 2008 04:24:49 am
       :lmao: :lmao:
      Gold smiggs!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #15: May 16, 2008 04:25:52 pm
      wouldnt u no- Rangers fans!
      TartanRed
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 205 posts |
      • Shankly! Shankly!
      Reply #16: May 17, 2008 01:37:45 am
      Guys, I hope your not going to put Wed nights 'antics' as a template for all Scots.

Let me tell you that I hate Rangers and Celtic. Why? It is to do with the whole religious bullsh*t that goes with them. Each claims to be better than the other in trying to be 'good', when both have traded off the religious angle, maybe... Which is why they have such a large support, maybe? However, I think Celtic fans are rather less extreme than Rangers fans even though they sing anti-UK/ pro IRA songs (see YouTube).

I support Heart of Midlothian FC, as well as Liverpool, unfortunately there are some Hearts fans who wish to tie HMFC in the same group as Rangers and even refer to them as 'our cousins in the west'. This makes me sick. I have no affiliation or connection with Rangers, I don't go about draped in a Union Flag singing 'Rule Britannia', I could mention a few others but won't.

This will be covered up and glossed over as Manchester not being prepared enough etc. When if they'd asked me (your Joe Bloggs guy!!) if trouble was likely/ I'd have said 'yes, expect it'. There will be token condemnation from Scotland, we have a weak organisation too scared to upset the Glasgow clubs, imo...
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #17: May 17, 2008 10:37:18 pm
      Guys, I hope your not going to put Wed nights 'antics' as a template for all Scots.

Let me tell you that I hate Rangers and Celtic. Why? It is to do with the whole religious bullsh*t that goes with them. Each claims to be better than the other in trying to be 'good', when both have traded off the religious angle, maybe... Which is why they have such a large support, maybe? However, I think Celtic fans are rather less extreme than Rangers fans even though they sing anti-UK/ pro IRA songs (see YouTube).

I support Heart of Midlothian FC, as well as Liverpool, unfortunately there are some Hearts fans who wish to tie HMFC in the same group as Rangers and even refer to them as 'our cousins in the west'. This makes me sick. I have no affiliation or connection with Rangers, I don't go about draped in a Union Flag singing 'Rule Britannia', I could mention a few others but won't.

This will be covered up and glossed over as Manchester not being prepared enough etc. When if they'd asked me (your Joe Bloggs guy!!) if trouble was likely/ I'd have said 'yes, expect it'. There will be token condemnation from Scotland, we have a weak organisation too scared to upset the Glasgow clubs, imo...

I compleltely agree with you

being from Northern Ireland, most people expect u to support either rangers or cletic as its supposively shows what religon you are. This has led me not support either of them. But if u think that violence was bad, you should check out an Old Firm day in Belfast
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #18: May 17, 2008 11:17:48 pm
      being from Northern Ireland, most people expect u to support either rangers or cletic as its supposively shows what religon you are. This has led me not support either of them. But if u think that violence was bad, you should check out an Old Firm day in Belfast

Agree Semple. The amount of people in NI who support Celtic and Rangers and could barely name one of their players never mind watch a game is all too common. I have no problem with the fans who support either club (even if it's for religious reasons) and follow the team but their seems to be too many 'hangers on' especially over here.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #19: May 18, 2008 07:59:17 pm
      Agree Semple. The amount of people in NI who support Celtic and Rangers and could barely name one of their players never mind watch a game is all too common. I have no problem with the fans who support either club (even if it's for religious reasons) and follow the team but their seems to be too many 'hangers on' especially over here.

yeah eaxctly. And your ight when u say that these so called supporters couldnt mention one anem of a player who plays for them. It sickens me when i hear that celtic or rangers fans have been stabbed because of the team they support- one man was stabbed do death during the most recent old firm match because he was a celtic fan
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #20: May 18, 2008 10:06:52 pm
      Yeah she's alright cheers mate. Took her a while to get home though.

Been pretty quiet concerning last nights trouble hasn't it.

Ah good!

:lmao:

Love that Smiggs!

Quick Reply