Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC linked with a MAMMOTH 1M bid for Liam Fontaine of bristol city

Read 2241 times
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 139 posts | -2 
      LFC linked with a MAMMOTH 1M bid for Liam Fontaine of bristol city
      May 27, 2008 12:46:53 pm
      Bristol City defender Liam Fontaine has emerged as a shock £1m target for Liverpool. - BBC SPORT GOSSIP PAGES

well it looks like all the other big clubs are being linked with lots of big names,
      bentley to spurs / chelsea this morning.

50 m for fergie to spend again !
      and he wants to tie up all the his big names before he goes on holiday, (something i Rafa trys to do every summer !)

kaka and torres to chelsea

Zlat and lumpard to inter.

and not a sniff on the official LFC website, BBC SPORTS and on SKY SPORTS about any of the big names we are after.

why? because we cant afford any !

and as we are entering the silly season it looks like we just dont have the funds to even mention a big name.

sorry to sound negative but we are not goin to compete for signings let alone the league until we have some proper investment.

I hope i am wrong...

cue the abuse ;)

lfcreds27
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts | -5 
      Re: LFC linked with a MAMMOTH 1M bid for Liam Fontaine of bristol city
      Reply #1: May 27, 2008 12:55:47 pm
      this is a deal never likely to go through.

He isn't top 4 material and so will not sign.

Rafa has bigger targets e.g. Villa,Quaresma,Dossena and who knows he may pull out a massive coup from nowhere.

I don't care if we don't sign big players just get a challenge in there.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2: May 27, 2008 12:59:37 pm

Here goes:

Dossena, Silva, Bentley, Riera, Barry, Sergio Garcia etc. No, not your massive players but we dont need every position to be like that. As Rafa said, we have the spine and we now need to build on other positions, ie. upgrading the other positions. All mentioned above are great improvements on what we have in stock.

Man Utd have their spine; VDS, Ferdinand, Ronaldo, Rooney. They are the main 4 in each line of play.

Chelsea; Cech, Terry, Lampard, Drogba. Once again, main player in each line.

I wont mention Arsenal as i dont see them as a powerhouse and a contender for the title yet. Compare those 2 to ours of Reina, Carragher, Gerrard and Torres. Now who's is more superior? Ours! We just dont have the players in other positions up to the standard of Scum and Chelski.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #3: May 27, 2008 01:07:35 pm
      I can't see Tom & Hicup forking out that much for Fontaine, that's like the most ever paid for 1 player in the universe! ;D
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #4: May 27, 2008 01:11:42 pm
      the big teams all have their spines, that wasnt the issue.

out of the players that youve mentioned below ive only heard that weve been linked to dossena , riera and barry.

quote: Dossena, Silva, Bentley, Riera, Barry, Sergio Garcia etc

not what i would call top class.

i would love to see silva and bentley but there doesnt seem any hype around them or any speculation linking them with us only other people.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #5: May 27, 2008 01:21:41 pm
      http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/pennant-on-way-out-as-liverpool-covet-bentley-829969.html

Pennant on way out as Liverpool covet Bentley

Jermaine Pennant was officially told by Rafael Benitez yesterday that he can leave Liverpool this summer as the club try to organise their resources to muster a serious bid for the Blackburn Rovers winger David Bentley. Pennant is a long-term target of Newcastle and Benitez is looking, at the very least, to recoup the £6.7m he spent on the player in 2006.

Pennant had been left to wait to learn his fate at Liverpool, although his gradual marginalisation this season, culminating in his omission from the squad for the final two League games, was a clear indicator that his time was up at Anfield. The 25-year-old was also one of three players offered as a potential makeweight in the £10m-rated deal to bring Gareth Barry to Liverpool. Yesterday, Benitez told Pennant, who has also attracted the interest of West Ham, that he could leave if the club got a price they thought was acceptable.

The top target to replace Pennant is Bentley who has already turned down a new contract at Blackburn worth between £40,000 and £50,000 a week – he has three years on his existing deal. Bentley would cost around £15m and is in demand this summer because clubs are eager to recruit young English players in case Fifa push through their quotas proposal that would insist on a certain ratio of homegrown players in every first XI.

For reasons that he has kept to himself, Benitez has insisted that the Liverpool players train from Wednesday to Friday this week although their season is over. While every other Premier League club barring Manchester United, Chelsea and Portsmouth have sent their players on holiday for the summer, the Liverpool manager called his squad in this week. More pressing for Benitez, however, is finding the funds to refit his squad again this summer.

Bentley for Pennant may look like a natural swap but the Liverpool manager will encounter competition from Chelsea and Tottenham for Bentley, although the strength of the London clubs' interest in the player is not yet clear. In the meantime, Benitez is trying to wring as much money as possible out of fees for his saleable assets in order to strengthen his squad.

Peter Crouch, valued at £15m by Benitez earlier this month, is not in talks with Portsmouth, as has been reported. The England striker, who is part of Fabio Capello's squad for the two end-of-season friendlies, is still waiting to learn whether the Liverpool manager is serious about demanding such an unrealistic fee for him. Portsmouth have already denied they were in negotiations for Crouch who has one year left on his contract and has not yet been given permission by Liverpool to discuss personal terms with any other club.

Scott Carson has also expressed dismay at the £10m price that Benitez has imposed on him. Now it seems the Spaniard's prohibitive valuations of both the England goalkeeper and Crouch are beginning to work against him as he tries to raise money quickly for summer signings. Potential clubs are simply waiting for the valuations to drop before they even begin to consider negotiating for the players in question. John Arne Riise has attracted interest from Serie A clubs as well as Newcastle and is another whom Benitez wants to use to raise cash.

The Liverpool manager needs something to break the current impasse in his club's transfer dealings. The Barry deal with Aston Villa is currently going nowhere; Crouch's future is unresolved and there is still the distinct possibility that Dubai International Capital will gain control of the club at some point this summer. Against that backdrop there will have to be some compromise over the next few weeks if Benitez is to get the ball rolling on his plans for this summer.

So far he has tied up the signing of the Swiss right-back Philipp Degen, 25, who will sign a four-year deal when he becomes a free agent later this month. The Borussia Dortmund player has been a long-term target for Benitez and he tried to sign him when he was Valencia manager just before he left for Liverpool in 2004.

Benitez said yesterday he was glad about the return of Sammy Lee to Liverpool as his assistant. "He knows about the passion of the club and about the standards that we set here so that will make it much easier for him to settle into his new role," Benitez said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool move nearer to £12m attacker: Money well spent?
      May 22, 2008
      Adaptable and stylish on the ball, Sergio Garcia is wanted by many clubs now that his Real Zaragoza side have been relegated from La Liga. It seems that Rafa Benitez is the most likely to capture the 24-year-old.

Liverpool appear to be ahead of Tottenham in the pursuit of Real Zaragoza attacker Sergio Garcia.(AS)

Rafa Benitez and Tottenham’s Juande Ramos and are eager to bring the ex-Barcelona trainee to England next season and Garcia’s buyout clause is set at £12 million.

Sergio Garcia is something of a hot property right now, especially as he has made it into the Spanish national squad for Euro 2008. It seems odds-on he will leave Zaragoza and, whilst he appears to be a target of many other La Liga outfits, it could be that a move to the cash-rich Premier League may well be a more promising prospect. Do Liverpool fans feel that the 24-year-old is a worthy use of £12m?

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2008/05/22/liverpool-move-nearer-to-12m-attacker-money-well-spent/6951.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guillem Balague "Rafa wants Silva and has cooled interest in Bentley. He's willing to pay only £14m but Valencia want £19m. They may both settle for £17m. If so, he'll sign for Liverpool."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only have to do minor research and you'll find that. Loads more.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #6: May 27, 2008 01:26:10 pm
      quote: Dossena, Silva, Bentley, Riera, Barry, Sergio Garcia etc

not what I would call top class.

Just read that sentence just then. I'm sorry that David Villa, Ricardo Quaresma, Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos, Iker Cassillas, Samuel Eto'o and Daniel Alves arent on our wish list. Last time i checked, Scum won the title with very good players in other positions to Ronaldo and co. Not everyone has to be a superstar for you to win a league.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #7: May 27, 2008 01:26:38 pm
      yes isnt that oldish news in the relative mayhem and progression of the silly season ?

since then mark hughs has told us he wont sell and we have dilly dallied as usual waiting for someone else to come in.

and low and behold spurs and chelsea have now come in with offers themselves too.

i didnt hear or read the silva news but i for one think he would be class, much better than bentley.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #8: May 27, 2008 01:29:43 pm
      For one, the first article came out on the 17th of this month.

Mark Hughes has said nothing since then.

Second, Silva plays on the left, Bentley on the right.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #9: May 27, 2008 01:30:44 pm
      Just read that sentence just then. I'm sorry that David Villa, Ricardo Quaresma, Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos, Iker Cassillas, Samuel Eto'o and Daniel Alves arent on our wish list. Last time i checked, Scum won the title with very good players in other positions to Ronaldo and co. Not everyone has to be a superstar for you to win a league.

dont be sorry - we just havent got the money
      and yes the other big teams do have top quality or stars in most positions - we do not.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #10: May 27, 2008 01:33:24 pm
      For one, the first article came out on the 17th of this month.

Mark Hughes has said nothing since then.

Second, Silva plays on the left, Bentley on the right.

youve completely missed the point - nothing has moved on since , rik parry dawdling again !!!
      which side they play on is also irrelevent
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #11: May 27, 2008 01:41:02 pm
      and yes the other big teams do have top quality or stars in most positions - we do not.

Ill start with Man Utd. They have Brown and Evra in their defence along with Rio and Nemanja. Now Nemanja and Rio are there main players here but Brown and Evra are very solid players, top class? No.

Their midfield has Ronaldo, Carrick, Anderson and Nani. Ronaldo and Anderson being the main and Nani/Carrick being the solid players here. (Wouldnt even consider Nani to be solid at all actually).

Up front? They got sh*t all as far as goal scoring goes but they have Rooney being their star and Tevez being that very solid player.

Chelsea? Carvalho, Cole, Terry and Essien. Essien, Carvalho and Cole are their solid players with Terry being the main man.

Midfield. Joe Cole and Makelele being their very solid players with Ballack and Lampard being the main men with Malouda/Anelka on the left is hardly top class at all now is it?

Up front? Drogba and Drogba only. No one else.

Now where is that top class you were after? By your definition top class is touching on world class.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #12: May 27, 2008 01:52:11 pm

i dont think you are reading my posts properly.

so here it is again for you...see above  ;)

i said 'top quality or stars' in most positions - when did i ever define top class ??

the big teams can carry one or two but not a whole load like we do every game..
      see wes brown or malouda - the rest are class. (& by that i mean very good players, i dont want to try and define anything here) ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #13: May 27, 2008 01:59:47 pm
      I dont think you are reading my posts properly.

so here it is again for you...see above  ;)

I said 'top quality or stars' in most positions - when did I ever define top class ??

the big teams can carry one or two but not a whole load like we do every game..
      see wes brown or malouda - the rest are class. (& by that I mean very good players, I dont want to try and define anything here) ;)

Well mate, you said Sergio Garcia, Barry, Bentley, Silva, Dossena and Riera arent top class. They are great players and very much above average but not world class, yet you think they arent top class? If your ever going to define top class in your books, here is the place.

Im starting to think you dont even know what you mean. You said the other teams do have top quality or stars in most positions. I proved they dont, how is that irrelevant?
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer
      • Started Topic

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #14: May 27, 2008 02:45:30 pm

Im starting to think you dont even know what you mean. You said the other teams do have top quality or stars in most positions. I proved they dont, how is that irrelevant?

No, your completely right Manu utd and chelsea havent got any stars, they have no top quality players, plus they have no top class players or even any world class players !

Hmmmm...   ???

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #15: May 27, 2008 04:30:36 pm
      If this lads name was Liamio Fontaineinho of Real whoever in Spain people would be saying oooohh sounds good but because they see Bristol citys Liam Fontaine he must be useless. Come on people there is some good players in the lower leagues. Our closest neighbours best signings in the last couple of seasons have been from lower leagues. Think of the likes of Rob Jones coming from Crewe to us to be a class act

Some of you see nothing but negative I think
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #16: May 27, 2008 05:25:29 pm
      I dont know who this guy is, heard his name before but know nothing about his play. The only thing is, there are loads of big names being thrown all over the place, if this player is good enough and will help us, who cares where he is coming from. Im sure loads of people would love us to snap up zarate but he isnt playing for the best of clubs is he. I dony know this player so i dont know how good he is but we need to look past the players chelsea and man u are being linked to, we arent them and we dont spend way more than we need to on certian players
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #17: May 27, 2008 05:39:32 pm
      Here's an idea.  Let's sell everyone off and buy Championship players!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #18: May 27, 2008 05:42:20 pm
      I don't care what his name is, what club he comes from, and how much we pay for him; so long as he can do the job we want, that's what counts. The main thing that bugs me in all this (a bit surprised I'm the first to mention it!) is the fact that we are being linked to yet another defender. The bit of BBC "gossip" actually links to this article from the Daily Mirror: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/05/27/exclusive-liverpool-target-1m-bristol-city-defender-89520-20430933/, in which it states he is a centreback, but can also play leftback.

I can't believe we're going to reinforce any further our defence this summer (unless the Dossena deal falls through), but it sounds a little like we'd be playing him a bit out of position too, at least not in his main role, as I imagine he's be playing on the left and not in the middle. Now I'd really prefer us to put in the dosh and buy Dossena, not because he has a pretty name, but because it's his natural position. Simple as that!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #19: May 27, 2008 07:32:27 pm
      If he's a centre back we dont need him, reason being two words: Jack Hobbs. He's good enough backup to the other FOUR centre backs so we dont need another, he can take sami's place as our fouth CB when Sami retires.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #20: May 28, 2008 05:23:22 pm
      is this a piss take have seen him play he is an average championship player, jaysus hardly a liverpool player
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #21: May 29, 2008 07:55:14 am
      Ok, all well and good about saying we can pick up from the lower leagues but honestly, none of you can believe he will be good enough. He isnt a target, he wont come here.

Quick Reply